Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

I think this would be a good free agent to sign, I think it's early in the process. According to the other thread on this topic, Atogwe was planning to visit several teams, and hasn't even ruled out his original team, the Rams. It was also rumored that he wouldn't settle on a contract before March 3.

These visits might be how Atogwe's agent is hoping to promote a bidding war. There is interest from some other teams as well, and it's possible this is just one stop on the 'tour.'. In the Redskins favor is the Haslett connection and the fact that Dan Snyder will likely tender a very competitive offer. Maybe we can seal the deal earlier?

So I hope this can be done, but without breaking to deep into the monies that Snyder has earmarked for improving the roster. I'd note there are a few other good free-agent FS out there (Eric Weddle of the Chargers and the Bucs Tanard Jackson come to mind.) but it's not certain whether the Skins could sign them away from their original teams.

But we're going to need someone. The Skins need to avoid having to rely again on Kareem Moore and/or Reed Doughty filling in at FS. Both have significant shortcomings in that role; we need a bonafide NFL FS who can keep up in coverage, tackle, take decent angles and be a reliable backstop. There are a few FS candidates in the draft, but not too many standouts.

In the Redskins favor is the Haslett connection

Agree with that part...

...and the fact that Dan Snyder will likely tender a very competitive offer.

Disagree with this part... :) Hopefully those days are behind us. Not that we might not make a competitive offer, but BRUCE needs to be the driving force behind the offer and it be one that makes sense. Not the old days of guys coming here just for the paycheck from Danny's pockets.

Nice. A 30-before-next-season-begins FS. Perfect for our 2011 championship run!

He does nothing to solve our long term needs, instead taking reps away from potential in-house solutions, or rookies we may draft. This is a terrible idea.

I'll bet you a ham sammich he doesn't sign here. Doesn't seem like we are interested in winning any bidding wars.

i agree with above but fs can play into their mid 30's and do it well. why not bring in a guy who needs a fresh start. he isnt a long term solution i agree but he could hold a spot down for a couple of years plus im all for the youth movement i.e. bucs but they still got raunde helping with the younger guys develop faster.

They will probably tell him to see what other offeres are out there to see if its worth bidding for him. If he's looking for something astronomical, then he's gone. If not, then I wouldn't mind signing him to a modest contract. Perhaps a 4 yr contract @ $15-18mill with about $8-$10mill guaranteed.

Nice. A 30-before-next-season-begins FS. Perfect for our 2011 championship run!

He does nothing to solve our long term needs, instead taking reps away from potential in-house solutions, or rookies we may draft. This is a terrible idea.

Exactly. No reason to sign him

The Redskins FO this decade really does reflect the fan base. Impatient, short sighted and can get very hysterical.

I see no reason to bring in OJ at all

Cant fill every hole through the draft. That being said he's going to demand a big contract. Idk, I wouldn't be upset either way.

You can't, but why not see if Kareem Moore improves? Or if there is a younger option there? Or if Macho Harris can fill the role?

Get the shiny toy on the FA market has cursed this team for years

Archived