Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

I assume that the "all about the benjamins" is his reasoning to why STL released him. Not why we haven't signed him yet.

You are correct. Just signed up and started following these guys on Saturday, so still trying to understand the flow.

This is the mindset that fueled moves such as the McNabb trade.

Instead of realizing that there wasn't a solid long term solution at every position, we over paid so that we could check off every box.

We don't need to fill every hole in one year. Trying to do so whille create more problems than solutions.

I don't agree--I think McNabb was brought in with loftier expectations than just being a servicable starter. Campbell was/is a starter, regardless of what you think of him. The hole we have at FS is much deeper than the one we had at QB last year.

Because he's only getting worse, he wont be with us long enough to see the end of his deal, and it will be yet another position where we have a mediocre veteran being just barely good enough to earn a starting spot over a much younger player. He will be the Antwaan Randle-El of our defensive secondary - a guy whose veteran mediocrity is detrimental to the team. Coaches will play him because he's a "savvy vet" and "a good character guy", rather than play a young player who "doesn't know the scheme" yet. So instead of developing the next Lorenzo Alexander, a hungry but unknown player, we'll be sitting there with an Andre Carter, a known-quantity in the sunset of his career.

We've seen this story before. It worked out with rare exceptions - Shawn Springs and London Fletcher...that's about it. Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin we got about 2.5 good seasons out of, and the rest the guys we brought out here through FA didn't really pan out. I'd rather leave the spot open for a young guy to come in and take it. Leave Moore out there, and if you like a player in the draft pull the trigger. Otherwise, stay on the lookout for undrafted FAs. We don't need this guy to be hogging up a roster spot when he's 35.

Once again repeat after me....THIS IS NOT THE SAME FRONT OFFICE......did you not see how Mike and Bruce based last years contracts? How they were able to cut people when they wanted with no cost against us?

Because he's only getting worse, he wont be with us long enough to see the end of his deal, and it will be yet another position where we have a mediocre veteran being just barely good enough to earn a starting spot over a much younger player. He will be the Antwaan Randle-El of our defensive secondary - a guy whose veteran mediocrity is detrimental to the team. Coaches will play him because he's a "savvy vet" and "a good character guy", rather than play a young player who "doesn't know the scheme" yet. So instead of developing the next Lorenzo Alexander, a hungry but unknown player, we'll be sitting there with an Andre Carter, a known-quantity in the sunset of his career.

We've seen this story before. It worked out with rare exceptions - Shawn Springs and London Fletcher...that's about it. Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin we got about 2.5 good seasons out of, and the rest the guys we brought out here through FA didn't really pan out. I'd rather leave the spot open for a young guy to come in and take it. Leave Moore out there, and if you like a player in the draft pull the trigger. Otherwise, stay on the lookout for undrafted FAs. We don't need this guy to be hogging up a roster spot when he's 35.

No no no. This time its different!

Ahhh. Ok, then I guess I need to follow you as well to understand. Only have three people I am following as I just signed up on Saturday.

Not questioning you, but do you have inside information? I am only trying to follow what develops this FA.

oh nah i defenetly dont.. i just ask them questions and talk to them a good bit.. they answer almost everything..

Wow!

JsteelzExtreme well tk and LL got it all out, my twitter been down for a minute just got it back up. OJ by all rights wont hit that plane, grinding it out

2 minutes ago via web

NICE.

We're all hoping this isn't a break the bank contract but OJ WILL be paid like a top safety. He was the Rams franchise player recently... he's not unproven.

He's had his best years under Haslett and as long as the money makes sense for both sides, he'll be here. Let's try to not freak out if/when numbers are released because contracts are rarely as they seem.

OJ is a significant upgrade a position of need without sacrificing any draft picks. A younger guy (Moore?) will learn a lot from a player like OJ and will take over in 4-5 years. With Haslett's focus on turnovers this move makes all the sense in the world.

Hall, Landry, and Atogwe makes for a big play secondary. All of these players are known for a combination of forcing fumbles, recovering fumbles, sacks, interceptions... these are the types of plays our D is going to be predicated upon.

Well if you understood that overpaying results into not being able to sign additional FA's, then you would care.

Remember Haynesworths contract? The Giants ended up signing three extremely key FA's that totaled that contract. All of them have out played Haynesworth to this point.

Meh, I don't want to many FAs anyway, take a chance on one or two but buying up the lot is not a good call....we've seen it too many times.

Please, for the love of God, you and Tris tell me how the hell OJ is a bad signing. Please!!! Mediocre veteran? Do you even watch the game of football? Just barely good enough than the FS we had on our team last year, are you freaking serious? You two are hurting my ****ing head with all the bull**** that your spewing.

If we pay him AA money then I'm pissed. We pay him what he's worth, huge signing for our defense, especially since he's already familiar with our D coordinator.

Once again repeat after me....THIS IS NOT THE SAME FRONT OFFICE......did you not see how Mike and Bruce based last years contracts? How they were able to cut people when they wanted with no cost against us?

But it is the same flawed method of building a team.

As soon as the CBA gets done, we are going to be spending like madmen. They have said as much already, and ensuring they sign Atogwe TODAY means they are going to pay him what it takes to not interview with the other teams interested in a FS.

Nice. Way to see what the market bears, Redskins.

Perhaps we have a GM and coaches that know what they're doing. Perhaps he's sure to be a great fit for this defense, for obvious reasons. And perhaps it wasn't worth letting him slip away.

Wayyyyyyy too much number crunching and 'fan GM-ing' in this thread IMO. As a FAN, I'm excited to hear that we're likely getting a very good player at FS. Maybe it's just that simple..

A younger guy (Moore?) will learn a lot from a player like OJ and will take over in 4-5 years.

Kareem Moore will be a FA in 2012. Unless Atogwe gets injured and Moore plays significant time (and plays well), he is in his last year as a Redskin.

No need to develop young talent when you have a proven, 30 year old FA.

As soon as the CBA gets done, we are going to be spending like madmen. They have said as much already, and ensuring they sign Atogwe TODAY means they are going to pay him what it takes to not interview with the other teams interested in a FS.[/QUOTE]

thats nothing but an assumption and holds no weight like you want it to..

As soon as the CBA gets done, we are going to be spending like madmen. They have said as much already, and ensuring they sign Atogwe TODAY means they are going to pay him what it takes to not interview with the other teams interested in a FS.

Because you can CLEARLY see the future? How about tonights lotto numbers please? You are basing your disgust off of things that haven't even happened!!!

I don't understand why people are getting upset about this move, especially as we don't know what the sums involved are. I challenge anyone to say that our FS play last season wasn't poor. Barnes looked good at the end, but I still see him as a development project. Brining Atogwe would give us a top end secondary, which would help with our problems with the front 7.

Plus it's hardly like there's an Eric Berry in this year's draft.

Even if there was an Eric Berry we need to get younger on the D-line and pick up talent at LB + OL + skill position on offense, we wouldn't be able to afford picking a stud safety, which is exactly why this move makes perfect sense.

I 100% agree with you though, people seem to be hating for the sake of hating. This isn't the same old FO, this isn't a Vinny / Danny move, this is a new team, a new FO, and a good move.

thats nothing but an assumption and holds no weight like you want it to..

Exactly. Thats why this should be about OJ and not that he is a FA.

Get all crazy after we sign him, because at least you have a basis of why to be so against the signing.

Kareem Moore will be a FA in 2012. Unless Atogwe gets injured and Moore plays significant time (and plays well), he is in his last year as a Redskin.

No need to develop young talent when you have a proven, 30 year old FA.

:ols:

Exactly.

I think OJ is a terrific player. I just don't think this is the right move for our team now, signing a front line 30 year old FA in the secondary.

It signals that we lack patience to let our own develop.

:ols:

Exactly.

I think OJ is a terrific player. I just don't think this is the right move for our team now, signing a front line 30 year old FA in the secondary.

It signals that we lack patience to let our own develop.

Yeah, but think about the fact that there may not be free agency at all...or it might be delayed until after the draft. We have to start filling these holes somehow.

Archived