Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

LL56xtremeskins LL

@ @Dro_08 @JsteelzExtreme business move due to bonus due.

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply ยป LL56xtremeskins LL

@ @Dro_08 @JsteelzExtreme stl want him back but we want him here. Working for parameters on numbers now.

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Curious to see the numbers. However, I think he leaves without signing. Seems to me he wants to make sure he's making the right choice.

uh oh people watching my tweets.. hell i may get a few followers out of this..

Honestly, maybe we just don't agree. But I think inside, your just scared to bring in FA's because it has bit us in the past.

No, I am scared to bring in numerous, expensive FAs because there are 19 years of evidence to show that heavy reliance on free agency does not produce teams that consistantly win.

This...

means that we are so in love with OJ that we are going to outbid all other teams and not let him leave DC.

That would be "overpaying" and a continuation of "our spending past". So yes, that is on topic.

Because you are in on the contract talks currently? There are a bunch of positive things going for him here.

1. We are a team that needs an upgrade at FS and he would be penciled in as a starter if he signs here

2. He has played with Haslett before and they like each other, Haslett is said to love him

3. He is coming to a scheme has has ALREADY HAD SUCCESS in

Sure he wont get the most dollars here BUT he has the chance to the most successful here. Not every player in the league is all about money. From reading OJs twitter and getting a read on his personality, I say he isn't one of those people.

Way to overreact BEFORE the numbers are even released or BEFORE he has even signed non the less.

OJ would be a good short term signing for a team that's in playoff contention or close to it.

We're a rebuilding team.

We should be developing our core youth not stunting their development.

What youth do we have at FS to develop? Moore can't tackle but can cover and Doughty can tackle but can't cover, AKA great depth players but not starting material.

We have a hole at FS and Atogwe at 29 early 30 would be a great fit filling our need at FS with his connection to Haslett and being the natural FS play maker that he is to pair with our stud young developing SS LaRon.

What's not to like?

So I'm having trouble following all of this. Can someone spell out for me where we stand with him? Are we close to signing? And what does "business move due to bonus due" mean?

We will be offering a contract. The business move comment was on why STL released him.

We are not close to signing him, because apparently, this is about money to him right now.

This is the latest.....

@TKextremeskins

TK

Its all about the benjamins. RT @Dro_08: @LL56xtremeskins @JsteelzExtreme LOL stl releases him and then wants him back.. smh..

What youth do we have at FS to develop? Moore can't tackle but can cover and Doughty can tackle but can't cover, AKA great depth players but not starting material.

We have a hole at FS and Atogwe at 29 early 30 would be a great fit filling our need at FS with his connection to Haslett and being the natural FS play maker that he is to pair with our stud young developing SS LaRon.

What's not to like?

exactly. Outside of Barnes or a future day 2/3 draft pick, we have absolutely nothing with any promise at FS. We can't fill every hole through the draft -- it doesnt add up. And I'd like to see us go into the season with a legitimate starter or realistically potential starter at every position. To that end, this deal must get done.

No, I am scared to bring in numerous, expensive FAs because there are 19 years of evidence to show that heavy reliance on free agency does not produce teams that consistantly win.

Would only be true, if we do this every year consistently. Doing it one year doesn't mean we are showing heavy reliance. Doing it for 3 years straight, then yes you are correct.

So I'm having trouble following all of this. Can someone spell out for me where we stand with him? Are we close to signing? And what does "business move due to bonus due" mean?

Someone asked if he was so good why did STL let him go and the response was it was a business move due to how much his bonus was that was due today.

Because you are in on the contract talks currently? There are a bunch of positive things going for him here.

I am simply relaying what insiders are saying. I am not presuming to know anything.

Not every player in the league is all about money. From reading OJs twitter and getting a read on his personality, I say he isn't one of those people.

You chide me for drawing conclusions based on the bits of info I am reading, then you turn around and claim to know a player's personality based on reading a social media account? Wow.

And yes, this is about money. Don't be naive and think otherwise.

We will be offering a contract. The business move comment was on why STL released him.

We are not close to signing him, because apparently, this is about money to him right now.

This is the latest.....

@TKextremeskins

TK

Its all about the benjamins. RT @Dro_08: @LL56xtremeskins @JsteelzExtreme LOL stl releases him and then wants him back.. smh..

actually TK was replying to when i said why would the Rams let him go and then want him back... commenting towards the roster bonus..

I'm not sure why people are so upset about "overpaying" its not like YOU'RE paying him, and don't yell about the cap....we are cap geniuses. We never have had a cap problem nor will we ever. So as long as we keep our draft picks why NOT take an all of the above approach?

Well if you understood that overpaying results into not being able to sign additional FA's, then you would care.

Remember Haynesworths contract? The Giants ended up signing three extremely key FA's that totaled that contract. All of them have out played Haynesworth to this point.

And I'd like to see us go into the season with a legitimate starter or realistically potential starter at every position. To that end, this deal must get done.

This is the mindset that fueled moves such as the McNabb trade.

Instead of realizing that there wasn't a solid long term solution at every position, we over paid so that we could check off every box.

We don't need to fill every hole in one year. Trying to do so whille create more problems than solutions.

actually TK was replying to when i said why would the Rams let him go and then want him back... commenting towards the roster bonus..

Ahhh. Ok, then I guess I need to follow you as well to understand. Only have three people I am following as I just signed up on Saturday.

Not questioning you, but do you have inside information? I am only trying to follow what develops this FA.

Please explain why, exactly. Because it hurts the bank? Or because, historically, they don't do well? At some point, don't you have to look at OJ the football player instead of OJ the statistic?

Because he's only getting worse, he wont be with us long enough to see the end of his deal, and it will be yet another position where we have a mediocre veteran being just barely good enough to earn a starting spot over a much younger player. He will be the Antwaan Randle-El of our defensive secondary - a guy whose veteran mediocrity is detrimental to the team. Coaches will play him because he's a "savvy vet" and "a good character guy", rather than play a young player who "doesn't know the scheme" yet. So instead of developing the next Lorenzo Alexander, a hungry but unknown player, we'll be sitting there with an Andre Carter, a known-quantity in the sunset of his career.

We've seen this story before. It worked out with rare exceptions - Shawn Springs and London Fletcher...that's about it. Marcus Washington and Cornelius Griffin we got about 2.5 good seasons out of, and the rest the guys we brought out here through FA didn't really pan out. I'd rather leave the spot open for a young guy to come in and take it. Leave Moore out there, and if you like a player in the draft pull the trigger. Otherwise, stay on the lookout for undrafted FAs. We don't need this guy to be hogging up a roster spot when he's 35.

I don't understand why people are getting upset about this move, especially as we don't know what the sums involved are. I challenge anyone to say that our FS play last season wasn't poor. Barnes looked good at the end, but I still see him as a development project. Brining Atogwe would give us a top end secondary, which would help with our problems with the front 7.

Plus it's hardly like there's an Eric Berry in this year's draft.

This is the latest.....

@TKextremeskins

TK

I assume that the "all about the benjamins" is his reasoning to why STL released him. Not why we haven't signed him yet.

Well if you understood that overpaying results into not being able to sign additional FA's, then you would care.

Remember Haynesworths contract? The Giants ended up signing three extremely key FA's that totaled that contract. All of them have out played Haynesworth to this point.

And two of those signing have been underproducing in NY.

Archived