Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

I would not resign Brown. He is injury prone and will be over 30 when the season starts.

Signing a 25 year old free agent who was drafted by our HC would be the single best "big name" signing we could make.

Think about this - just for a second - You would not resign Brown, who played well as he got healthy, a guy who has played with this line for a year, without actually knowing the financial and then give the same or more to a 25 year old FA - If Harris is so good then why is he allowing to taste the waters of FA ... why did they (the broncos) try and trade him last season and why has he only started one full season in the 4 years he has been in the NFL

Is a 25 year old injury prone journyman RT someway better than a 30 year old 2 X probowl, 1 X All pro injury prone player coming back from a major injury who is already here ? Some logic.....

I think you have to use FA to fill the holes, you should never make holes on your team in the hope you can draft someone to fill the void, because that NEVER works as you reach and everyone knows what happens when you reach over ...

So by logic if we miss out on Harris and Brown signs else where then we reach for someone at 10 or 41 so we make a hole then fill it with what could be the QB of the future a stud OLB or NT/DE . . .

FA is not evil - Vinny C's version of FA sucked .

This is a good signing. The fact is we have around 10 holes on this roster to fill. We can't fill every one of those holes with the draft. I'm fine with signing many FAs as long as they aren't drama queens and locker room trouble. As long as we don't trade draft picks, signing several FAs is really a necessity due to all the holes we have. Again, sign all the FAs you need as long as you DON'T TRADE ANY DRAFT PICKS.

@LL56xtremeskins LL

Does Oj wear #21 ? Doubtfull

Another sign that he will be signed?

Doubtful sounds like he's not going to be a Skin after all

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

OJ just tweeted this an hour ago...

ojrams21 Oshiomogho Atogwe

Heading to check out new horizons...

https://twitter.com/#!/ojrams21/status/39777441014620160

Another sign he's not coming imo

However, it also makes us an older team, and it takes reps away from young players to develop as a long term starter.

:doh: I give up. I already posted my opinions on Moore and don't see who else you could be considering the long-term answer we have on the bench at FS. Moore is injury prone, showed good cover ability but EXTREMELY poor tackling skills (besides his Ocho-Cinco laying of the wood a couple years ago) last year. I think he gives us great depth at the position but to assume he's the future at FS and use that as an excuse to pass up on a sure fit and proven talent like Atogwe is mind boggling to me.

If Harris is so good then why is he allowing to taste the waters of FA ... why did they (the broncos) try and trade him last season and why has he only started one full season in the 4 years he has been in the NFL

Is a 25 year old injury prone journyman RT someway better than a 30 year old 2 X probowl, 1 X All pro injury prone player coming back from a major injury who is already here ? Some logic.

Beacuse the Broncos are no longer a ZBS team, and switched to a power run scheme. Why did McDaniels trade any of his players away? I would not be worried about the 2010 Broncos moving a player.

Journeyman? He's played on one team?

Which set do you think are worst injuries for an offensive lineman?

A. Multiple knee sprains and torn labrum in hip

B. Dislocated toe and sprained ankle

I'm excited that the Skins could actually be addressing a worrisome gap in their roster -- something that would have been hard to address via this year's draft. I don't think the Skins had too many good options, and this window of opportunity might be closing quickly. Reading the other fan-boards, there was interest in this player.

If the Skins don't step up and try to sign Otogwe, the following is a list of their other options:

1. Draft someone this year in the mid-to-low rounds (5-7?)-- and after pre-season, move that player up into the starting roster
  2. Hope that some 'starting gem" (walk-on?) is unearthed during the off-season, and the the Skins sign him first.
  3. Rely on the 2010 combination of Doughty or Moore (hope that maybe their injuries are 100% better and they somehow now have grown into the role?)
  4. Try to develop Barnes from being a CB into a FS (he's probably more likely to play it like a SS) and turn the reins over to him
  5. Try to outbid any other teams on any other 'good' FS who became a free-agent this offseason. (Do you really think we're going to outbid the Chargers for Weddle?)
  6. Wait until the waiver-wires come out, sign someone's 'leavings', and hope they can pick up Haslett's defense quickly enough to be the field general of the secondary
  7. Wait until the CBA is resolved and trade for a free safety from a team that is too crowded in their secondary (Bengals?) probaby giving up either players or picks in return. And maybe that guy will be a quality player (?) and can quickly start running Haslett's defense,

A lot of these require being patient and hoping that someone emerges to resolve the gap. Most seem to point to signing/drafting someone in 2013 and giving them time to develop into the scheme

Fans need to understand that if the Skins truly need a free safety in a year when there aren't that many available -- it's going to cost them more to get one. While I think Snyder is going to be more patient with Allen/Shanahan than with Zorn --I suspect the pressure will soon mount on the Skins to get better. A good FS is part of the remedy needed.

So signing Atogwe is not going to come cheaply -- as a former franchise tag player he's not some team's leavings, or a big question-mark as to whether he'd fit in Haslett's system. He's not in decline yet, and his presence could make his team-mates in the secondary play as a more cohesive unit. He'd probably be a good player to help other younger DBs develop. Most importantly he's a complete NFL veteran with a few good years left, who will give the Skins more time to find, develop, and groom a successor.

It's a low-risk gamble, but there were a lot of other teams that realize it too. Hopefully the Skins can pull it off without having to pay too much. True, they've got a lot of other pressing needs, but at least some of those can be obtained through the draft.

Beacuse the Broncos are no longer a ZBS team, and switched to a power run scheme. Why did McDaniels trade any of his players away? I would not be worried about the 2010 Broncos moving a player.

Journeyman? He's played on one team?

Which set do you think are worst injuries for an offensive lineman?

A. Multiple knee sprains and torn labrum in hip

B. Dislocated toe and sprained ankle

B Because they are small injuries which cost Harris half the year . Half the year - what would a real injury cost Harris ?

Also maybe soon to be journyman but he is coming to the end of the first contract and the team that drafted him say - Naaaah

#22 available. Ugh. I reckon Los is asking for too much money. That's a shame. I'd rather keep him.

And we absolutely have a need at FS. Moore's bad angles gave up some big runs last year. Doughty is great at certain things, but he's not as athletic as you'd like your FS to be. I'd strictly have him backing up SS. Same with Horton. SS only. OJ would be a fine signing. I'm sure it'll be structured in our favor if he ends up playing here. I sure don't want to try and draft a FS this year. A relatively weak class.

Doubtful sounds like he's not going to be a Skin after all

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

Another sign he's not coming imo

Everything I've read, literally everything, in the past two hours has made it look like he is coming here.

Where are you getting the idea that he's not? Seriously asking, not being an ass. :)

Or we could start Kevin Barnes and give him more than the 1 healthy start Kareem Moore was given to develop.

Yea, why bring in anyone new at all? Hell, why even fill up the roster? We don't need to go spending Dan's money like that on FA talent that will just come back to bite us in the ass. Let's just roll with the 30-40 guys we have under 30 right now and change our name to the Homegrown-Redskin-Immortals. :silly:

Yea, why bring in anyone new at all? Hell, why even fill up the roster? We don't need to go spending Dan's money like that on FA talent outside of the youthful players already on the roster. Let's just roll with the 30-40 guys we have under 30 right now and change our teams name to the Homegrown-Redskin-Immortals. :silly:

I agree 100% some people around here really think we can just make due with whatever is on the roster as if we are the Patriots or Steelers. We haven't been able to build that type of talent through the draft in the Snyder era because we've been trading our picks away. That hopefully stops this year with Shanny and Allen. The problem is they also inherited a squad with a lack of talent at every level. This team needs to rely on free agency this offseason to better itself...our main problem last year was...NO TALENT.

Archived