Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

Yea, why bring in anyone new at all? Hell, why even fill up the roster? We don't need to go spending Dan's money like that on FA talent outside of the youthful players already on the roster. Let's just roll with the 30-40 guys we have under 30 right now and change our teams name to the Homegrown-Redskin-Immortals. :silly:

LOL! Agreed.

We've unearthed Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong, Lorenzo Alexander, Torain, Lich, etc... but the staff has a vendetta against young DBs and insists on paying through the nose for established vets!! :doh:

The staff believes in their coaching ability and they have spent time with all of our players during practice and film sessions... areas were we fans have ZERO visibility.

So are some people are going to honestly take the stance that:

- with infinitely less evaluation experience

- with infinitely less coaching experience

- with FAR less exposure to players (practice, meetings, locker room)

that they know more about ANY of our players than our coaches?

I like Moore and maybe he can be a player, but it's pretty likely that Haslett believes that Moore's ceiling will never approach where OJ is today. Does that make Haslett a God? No. But it makes him incredibly informed and that's what decisions are based on... relevant information.

Having coached both players there's hardly a person on the planet who is more equipped to make that evaluation than Haslett.

We certainly don't need to be bringing anyone over 30 in who will require an 8-figure deal.

But yes, keep insisting that teams who are continually successful don't have a core of players drafted and developed in house.

Core drafted players: L. Alexander, Cooley, Orakpo, Landry, T. Williams, B. Banks is a good place to start.

We certainly don't need to be bringing anyone over 30 in who will require an 8-figure deal.

But yes, keep insisting that teams who are continually successful don't have a core of players drafted and developed in house.

A few things wrong with this:

1) Good luck finding a good starter who doesn't have an eight-figure deal. Unless you're talking about just one season.

2) A "core" is a dozen to 20 players, not an entire team. You're going to need free agents and yes, some of them will need to be paid.

I think its fine to find your skill players in FA, for the right price. Its the front 7, OL, and QB who should be home-grown talent. I consider FS to be more of a "skill" position. For the right price, I'm fine with bringing OJ in, maybe bringing in Sidney Rice, grooming someone for Los' spot, and drafting DL/OLB. And even Ryan Harris is a "Shanahan" guy. He's not a question mark as a FA....Shanahan knows what he's getting. He hand-picked the guy in Denver.

Basically, I'm saying that even when you do stray from the "ideal" team-building philosophy, it can be fine as long as the contract is smart, and your coaches know what they're getting. In the case of OJ, and a guy like Harris (who normally wouldn't fit my ideal plan), we know what we're getting, if injury histories check out.

Just for accuracy sake banks wasn't drafted....but he was udfa. Still an in-house development. Don't forget Carlos.

Rogers is anything but a core Redskin if he's even a Redskin by the end of next month. :(

I'd say that Henson and Riley will be something good for us, both drafted, and then whoever goes opposite of Orakpo.

Core drafted players: L. Alexander, Cooley, Orakpo, Landry, T. Williams, B. Banks is a good place to start.

I also feel that Perry Riley or Henson will be a solid core player in years to come, because one of them is going to start if McIntosh isn't resigned...Riley looked good in the end of the year last year

Everything I've read, literally everything, in the past two hours has made it look like he is coming here.

Where are you getting the idea that he's not? Seriously asking, not being an ass. :)

I'm reading the same things you are. Deals like these get talked up and flame out all the time. Just because our guys are saying good things at one point doesn't mean that's not going to change later. The last two tweets weren't very positive. I see that we've gotten another tweet since the two I replied to, which is either letting us know that Rogers is gone, that Atogwe is still in the plans, or both.

All we have right now is reading tea leaves. And the most current leaves are usually the most accurate.

It's something. Though I'm not sure Alexander who we are actively looking to replace in the draft (according to TK) can be called a core player. But it's going to take a couple years to develop the young talent and depth around them to match up with the elites of the NFL.

A few things wrong with this:

1) Good luck finding a good starter who doesn't have an eight-figure deal. Unless you're talking about just one season

21 of the 32 starting FS in the NFL don't have an eight figure deal. I didn't realize that getting a new starting FS was priority #1 this offseason, or even priority #5.

Much like we could have simply rolled with Grossman last year given the lack of talent on this team, I think we could have rolled with Moore or Doughty this year given the transition we are still in, instead of hitching ourselves to a 30 year old FS who makes our starting defense older, not younger.

2) A "core" is a dozen to 20 players, not an entire team. You're going to need free agents and yes, some of them will need to be paid.

I agree. I have countlessly advocated for one "big name" (which I define as top 10 at the position money) FA. Based on other rebuilding teams such as the Chiefs, Falcons, and Bucs, they is the strategy they employed to suppliment their drafting a a "core" of talent.

However, unless there is no FA this season, we will not be stopping at one, and will be adding several more high profile players. By the time our team is competitive again, many of that FA core will be past their prime, much like it was with the 2004 class.

So wait, what exactly is going on with this, read some things saying he's going to check out other places, some saying he isn't going to sign at all and others saying it looks like he's going to sign.

Take it this way. We really want him here but theres a new sheriff in town, we will not over pay. We are trying to work out numbers with him right now. If he says he wants to see if another team will match the offer we give him then he will be leaving without signing with us. Thats where we stand right now.

just saw this:

john_keim John Keim

Does not sound as if the #Redskins met with Atogwe today. Coaches aren't in today; some def coaches are out of town. they do have interest.

haha, wut?

so either Keim is wrong, or TK/JSteelz/LL56 is wrong, or Atogwe was solely meeting with non-coaching personnel (which is the scariest possible explaination).

haha, wut?

so either Keim is wrong, or TK/JSteelz/LL56 is wrong, or Atogwe was solely meeting with non-coaching personnel (which is the scariest possible explaination).

Is Bruce Allen incapable of acting on the wishes the coaching staff has or something? Why would it be a big deal to learn that Allen got word from Mike to try and sign this guy, then went ahead and tried to knock it out? Would you want Mike only being the person who negoitated deals or something? I don't get it

haha, wut?

WTF?? Is it possible they were negotiating BEFORE meeting with him? That would make Atogwe's tweet about going to check out other places make sense if he hasn't physically come to DC yet.

I can see it making a bit of sense because of Haslett's familiarity with OJ. Still, this seems pretty surprising if OJ isn't even in town yet.

Is Bruce Allen incapable of acting on the wishes the coaching staff has or something? Why would it be a big deal to learn that Allen got word from Mike to try and sign this guy, then went ahead and tried to knock it out? Would you want Mike only being the person who negoitated deals or something? I don't get it

Just a bunch of confusion going on now. I would expect the only people that need to be there are Bruce, perhaps Haslett or Mike but idk?

I don't know, I would think that someone like Shanahan would like to meet personally with any player he was planning on signing to a long term deal, no?

I don't know, I would think that someone like Shanahan would like to meet personally to any player he was planning on signing to a long term deal, no?

Sure but Jim knows him very well and coached him before. In this occasion I'd be fine if Mike met him after he was signed provided that Jim signed off on this first. Then Bruce could deal with the lawyer crap by himself. Your reaction was that this was a terrible thing which I don't think it would be. If Bruce was the only one to speak or meet with him today

Archived