Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

But it is the same flawed method of building a team.

As soon as the CBA gets done, we are going to be spending like madmen. They have said as much already, and ensuring they sign Atogwe TODAY means they are going to pay him what it takes to not interview with the other teams interested in a FS.

So we're not allowed to sign any FA's over 30? I don't get it.

I think it means we like him as a fit for our team and we want him here. What does it matter if we stake the first claim and make it strong enough were he won't even listen to others? Remember how hard Dallas was pushing for him last year?

I'm pretty pumped about bringing him in. I don't see the move as 'same ole same ole' for the Skins. I see it as Haslett seeing a guy out there who fits the scheme and who has proven to be an asset, and Shanny and Bruce doing what they can to improve our biggest weakness last year (the defense).

We can't just wait around until every draft and try to solely build that way. I'm all for youth and building our own guys and everything, but come on. Be real. Shanny has to start winning games. We don't have an owner who's going to wait 10 years for success. Belichick and McCarthy sure draft well, but they've also been coaching the same team for a while. There has to be some level of transition.

Yeah, but think about the fact that there may not be free agency at all...or it might be delayed until after the draft. We have to start filling these holes somehow.

Do we need to fill every hole this offseason?

And are we giving up on KM after his first season of starting? If so, we will never develop our own talent

So we're not allowed to sign any FA's over 30? I don't get it.

I think it means we like him as a fit for our team and we want him here. What does it matter if we stake the first claim and make it strong enough were he won't even listen to others? Remember how hard Dallas was pushing for him last year?

I'm pretty pumped about bringing him in. I don't see the move as 'same ole same ole' for the Skins. I see it as Haslett seeing a guy out there who fits the scheme and who has proven to be an asset, and Shanny and Bruce doing what they can to improve our biggest weakness last year (the defense).

We can't just wait around until every draft and try to solely build that way. I'm all for youth and building our own guys and everything, but come on. Be real. Shanny has to start winning games. We don't have an owner who's going to wait 10 years for success. Belichick and McCarthy sure draft well, but they've also been coaching the same team for a while. There has to be some level of transition.

Yes there is a level of transition.

But the cost of a front line 30 year old FA is a poor investment. This team won't compete in 2011, and probably won't in 2012 either since we didn't bite the bullet last year.

If Shanallahan do things right with the draft, this team will be ready in 2013 and by then OJ is a 33 year old FS.

I am simply relaying what insiders are saying. I am not presuming to know anything.

For someone who presumes not to know anything, you sure talk a lot. ;)

The only reason I am only 99% instead of 100% for this move is because it's another name I won't be able to pronounce when I'm drinking. :pint:

Go Skins!

Please, for the love of God, you and Tris tell me how the hell OJ is a bad signing. Please!!! Mediocre veteran? Do you even watch the game of football? Just barely good enough than the FS we had on our team last year, are you freaking serious? You two are hurting my ****ing head with all the bull**** that your spewing.

If we pay him AA money then I'm pissed. We pay him what he's worth, huge signing for our defense, especially since he's already familiar with our D coordinator.

The problem with FA is that nobody ever pays players "what they're worth." It is impossible. He will get a contract that, right today, looks like it's worth it for a player of his caliber. The problem is we aren't living in a time capsule. He's going to get older and his play is going to drop off significantly within the next 2 or 3 seasons. He may even be injured for a significant amount of time.

Let's face it. Signing this guy will guarantee him a starting spot for at least 2 seasons, most likely 3, unless he is horrific. That is simply because of the numbers. That's just how FA works - you pay a guy a lot of money, he has to play in order for you to look smart. I don't want a culture like that here on this team. That's what we're trying to get rid of. It's better to just stay away from FA and focus on getting the most out of the talent you already have.

And are we giving up on KM after his first season of starting? If so, we will never develop our own talent

i mean im under the assumption that if mike and bruce are going after OJ that should tell you that they dont think Kareem is good enough.. thats should tell you enough right there.. and i take their football knowledge over any of you any day.. no offense..

But it is the same flawed method of building a team.

As soon as the CBA gets done, we are going to be spending like madmen. They have said as much already, and ensuring they sign Atogwe TODAY means they are going to pay him what it takes to not interview with the other teams interested in a FS.

There's nothing flawed about using FA to build your team along with the draft. There IS something wrong with totally discrediting FA and being scarred to sign talented players at positions of need.

I certainly hope we spend money like crazy when the CBA gets done and don't understand why you wouldn't as well. This is the biggest most talent filled FA class in years due to last years CBA crap that had all those players like Carlos and Rocky extended one more year when they would have hit the market. Of all the years to be spending money in FA THIS IS THE YEAR. We have tons of cap space with all of our roster cleaning and releasing of old fat contracts with plenty of holes to fill. There's nothing wrong with bringing in the right talent, guys that fit the scheme, or young potential in FA, nothing. Quit hating.

Sign Ryan Harris as our sole "big" FA.

Any other FA deals we hand out are of the 1 or 2 year variety.

Cull these rosters looking for the next Tramon Williams or James Harrison.

Trade out of the 10th pick in the 2011 draft to acquire more picks. Draft heavy on the offensive lines and defensive front seven.

Draft a young QB in the middle rounds.

As distasteful as it may be, roll with Rex Grossman or John Beck at QB, but have the rookie as the #2 on gamedays.

And above all, be patient.

In all fairness, you can't ask someone how to fix an NFL football team and then eliminate a legitimate answer right off the bat.

No i meant dont answer with just build thru the draft.....i want to know who he wants to draft and who he would sign IF there is a FA period at all. Not just a generic answer.

Wayyyyyyy too much number crunching and 'fan GM-ing' in this thread IMO. As a FAN, I'm excited to hear that we're likely getting a very good player at FS. Maybe it's just that simple..

I think thats the problem with this organization. They see fans "excited" to get the latest shiny FA toy.

Hey, you got an OJ jersey to buy now. Who needs to develop the 6th rounder that showed such promise he was in the starting lineup in his 3rd year?

I'm 100% on board with giving up on KM.

And absolutely not, you don't have to fill every hole.

BUT, we don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. There aren't very many shots at us adding starters...

i mean im under the assumption that if mike and bruce are going after OJ that should tell you that they dont think Kareem is good enough.. thats should tell you enough right there.. and i take their football knowledge over any of you any day.. no offense..

Ryan Clark apparently wasn't good enough either. We had to get Adam Archuletta. And I take Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs football knowledge over mine any day either.

No offense to me

Sign Ryan Harris as our sole "big" FA.

Any other FA deals we hand out are of the 1 or 2 year variety.

Cull these rosters looking for the next Tramon Williams or James Harrison.

Trade out of the 10th pick in the 2011 draft to acquire more picks. Draft heavy on the offensive lines and defensive front seven.

Draft a young QB in the middle rounds.

As distasteful as it may be, roll with Rex Grossman or John Beck at QB, but have the rookie as the #2 on gamedays.

And above all, be patient.

see to me saying Ryan harris as our sole big name FA is stupid.. cause basically your saying if we were to resign Jamaal Brown then we shouldnt sign anyone in the FA pool.. is that what your saying?

I'm 100% on board with giving up on KM.

And absolutely not, you don't have to fill every hole.

BUT, we don't have a 3rd or 4th round pick. There aren't very many shots at us adding starters...

Giving up after 1 year of starting? Really :doh:

And here is the other thing...we don't have to add starters at each position. Patience actually is a virtue, improving in increments actually isn't a bad thing.

You do enough of that and you have a big leap forward like the Chiefs did after being patient in 2008 and 2009

Ryan Clark apparently wasn't good enough either. We had to get Adam Archuletta. And I take Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs football knowledge over mine any day either.

No offense to me

ryan clark flourished with the number 1 defense.. and best defensive coordinator in all of football.. lol

I think thats the problem with this organization. They see fans "excited" to get the latest shiny FA toy.

Hey, you got an OJ jersey to buy now. Who needs to develop the 6th rounder that showed such promise he was in the starting lineup in his 3rd year?

Well, some of you get awfully excited to shoot down nearly every move this FO makes (*pew pew!*) At the end of the day, some folks here are basically saying they know better than Bruce Allen and Mike Shannahan. It's as simple as that. They're saying *this and that* is WRONG, and *this* is the way to do it. I'm sorry, but I'm taking Bruce and Mike's judgement over yours. Vinny? No. Some of you have forgotten he's not here anymore.

I don't know what sort of FA people realistically want the skins to sign... It's not like there are a host of young, studly, cheap FA's available. That's not how the NFL works.

And not signing any FA's is not an option -- every team signs FA's, even the Patriots. Yes, the posterchildren of "build through the draft" sign plenty of FA's, including old and busted reclamation projects, big name busts, the whole range.

Even if there was an Eric Berry we need to get younger on the D-line and pick up talent at LB + OL + skill position on offense, we wouldn't be able to afford picking a stud safety, which is exactly why this move makes perfect sense.

I 100% agree with you though, people seem to be hating for the sake of hating. This isn't the same old FO, this isn't a Vinny / Danny move, this is a new team, a new FO, and a good move.

Pavlov's dog. Skins have been burned so badly by management and players that if we do anything the sky is falling. If we sit still and do nothing we're still dredges in the league.

There are a lot of concepts that get thrown around by people (including me) that have NO idea how it actually works: "trade down", "wait on a player", "vet min + incentives"... Truth is this is our best shot to land OJ. We kicked the tires on Shaun Rogers and we're waiting that out. But with OJ we have a player that has played his best ball under our current defensive coach and a coach that vouches for the player. I don't see how people can underestimate that. This isn't a case where the player SHOULD fit in, he WILL.

When you have that type of confidence in the player, their relationship with the staff, and their ability in the system, you are willing to pay a little more to secure this addition to the team.

The jilted lover, doom and gloom routine is old hat. This regime needs to be given the opportunity to make moves that they feel improve the team now and in the near future without being judged by the decade of futility that preceded their era.

Archived