Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

Are you planning to win next year? I am not, even with a strong FA class. However, I think you can get a very good core this year, but KEEP picks in drafts starting this year. Draft smart and start weeding out the vets as the youngsters get ready to play.

Exactly. Draft smart, but why put guys with big salaries in front of them? We can be economical, be young and draft smart. We don't need to begin importing a ton of guys just because they are available and we have holes. We'll end up in the same spot in half a decade

It took GB 6 years to get to where they are now. Rodgers is maybe the best NFC QB. But he got to develop under another great Vet. You can't just draft and draft and draft, and assume every player you draft will work out. You need to balance both.

You'd love to have Rivers/Brees situation or a Rodgers/Favre situation. Both are pretty unique in the NFL today. However we aren't talking about spending big money on a QB, we are talking about a FS. This is a position where you don't need to go shopping

The DC market is not the GB market. GB just goes to watch football. They were awful for a couple of years, yet still showed up. Skins fan? Nah, we don't have patience, which is why ive always said, the fans are 40% of the problem.

Thats where leadership comes in. Lets see if Bruce and Mike have it

Atogwe or someone else -- I anticipate Allen will be rolling up his sleeves to find a nice veteran FA free-safety.

A good FS is essential for Haslett's attacking defense. Haslett's aleady got a very aggressive SS in Landry, a gambling CB in Hall, and a question-mark at the other CB. He's attacking with his linebackers hoping to cover up for DE/LBs with less than stellar coverage skills. All this means there are going to be times when the opponents get someone romping free though the secondary zone. Last season, we got burned by those times. Doughty and Moore weren't the best answer.

So to keep this defense from giving away big chunks of cheap yardage, Haslett needs a good veteran backstop at FS to mitigate the damage caused whenever someone slips through into the secondary. There are not a lot of good FS in the draft, and the Skins would get better BPA for their urgent positional needs drafting NTs, DEs,LBs, OLs, WRs or QBs. Unless we're willing to wait 2 years, (or hope that Kareem turns into a great player), we may be looking at a 2-3 year stop-gap FS..

Now, I don't know enough about the money -- but we could be clearing a lot of money out from under the cap this season. That might allow more $$$ for Allen to try harder than he was in 2009 to sign someone like Atogwe and still stay competitive in bidding or signing other players too. I think the Skins will stay frugal, but they might also try to hang in on the bidding for this free-agent. There are a few others that might draw interest as well.

Anyone considering that since there might not actually be a free agency this year that this might be our only chance to sign someone capable of playing FS for us this year that will improve that position? If the market was settled then I wouldn't say that but its not. Everyone needs to realize that at this point in time there may not be a FA of any kind and this may be the best chance we have to improve that position. This unsettled offseason sucks

I also didn't know that draft picks have played in our scheme as well.

They get to develop in our scheme though.

You see it around the leauge, such as the Steelers.

They draft a Lamar Woodley, have him on ST his first year. The next year he is a contributor, year 3 he goes into a starting role and by year 4 he is a stud.

Can you name the last player we had go along that development track?

So you think that to sign the best RT, NT, WR, FS, G and C in this years free agency will not take top 10 money? How is that going to work?

If we sign any of those players, it will be to a market contract for the being the top FA at their respective position - and since the inception of free agency, that has been top 10 at the position money.

Thankfully, the expiration of the CBA constricted the FA pool, and we simply weren't able to sign big name free agents. There for we settle on solid, value priced additions that added depth and experience. Buchanon (1 year, $1.5 M) and Vonnie Holliday (2 years, $2MM) are the type of FA deals that a rebuilding team should embrace.

You really really dont get it do you? Honestly just admit you have no idea what you are saying. How can you honestly justify not signing someone in a position of need in FA that would be a good fit with us? Closet Cowboy fan perhaps?

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 07:01 PM ----------

I think the 2006 Colts Superbowl team was all draft picks.

I kid you not either.

The Giants 2007 had 2 big FA's in Plaxico and Antonio Pierce

The Steelers are almost always 95 percent draft picks. As were the Packers this year.

There is no right or wrong way whether its more FAs then draft picks or vice versa but not wanting to sign players for the sake of what happened in the past with an entirely different FO is asinine.

You really really dont get it do you? Honestly just admit you have no idea what you are saying. How can you honestly justify not signing someone in a position of need in FA that would be a good fit with us? Closet Cowboy fan perhaps?

I absolutely think we should sign someone (singular) in a position of need. Not seven.

They get to develop in our scheme though.

You see it around the leauge, such as the Steelers.

They draft a Lamar Woodley, have him on ST his first year. The next year he is a contributor, year 3 he goes into a starting role and by year 4 he is a stud.

Can you name the last player we had go along that development track?

Yes, Cooley, ST, Landry, McIntosh, Rogers, Blades, Montgomery, Golston, and others.

I bolded the part of what I agree with, but also why I think you NEED this years FA class. Year 3 and 4 are where the draft pick makes his impact. Who is starting in front of him the 2 years prior?

We haven't had a real FS since we lost Sean. I like Atogwe, he's familiar with our defensive coordinator, and if he can shore up the FS spot, I suddenly feel a lot better about our safety group.

It's a position of need that I just don't think we have the luxury of spending a draft pick on. We need those picks for our Defensive line or an OLB or a QB, OL, WR. Man...this team's got a lot of holes.

There is no right or wrong way whether its more FAs then draft picks or vice versa but not wanting to sign players for the sake of what happened in the past with an entirely different FO is asinine.

Sure there is a right or wrong way

Recent history shows that teams that are built with draft picks turn into bigger, more long term winners.

The Packers and Redskins had similar talent in 2005. Look at the choices the Redskins and Packers made and tell me which team is better prepared to win big over the course of this coming decade.

We looked far better then the Giants in the 2004 season, but since then they have owned us. Again look at the path they took. Smart drafting, 1-2 FA signings per offseason, if that.

The Eagles fell apart in 2005, and missed the playoffs in 2007. Yet they are far better equipped to win big this decade then we are

Ok im sorry the draft and then sign 36 year old DEs to go along with it. You're a joke dude!

Nope. I have fully endorsed signing one big name free agent. One of the group that will demand an eight figure contract.

I also think that adding value priced veterans is a smart way to fill holes while you develop young talent. Vonnie Holliday was one of the most productive per snap 3-4 DEs in all of football last year, and he didn't cost a fortune.

I absolutely think we should sign someone (singular) in a position of need. Not seven.

I don't know man I think that you need to qualify that. I'd be down with signing 20 free agents this year provided that they all:

1. Don't cost much to sign

2. Don't cost much to cut

3. Are all players in areas that need backups and future starters

4. Are all under 25 years old

1...7...20....numbers are numbers. And there isn't a number that is magical or the right one. Undrafted players are free agents. I'm fine with us signing a bunch of young players to develop. I don't want us to sign 7 starters this year. That won't work. But Free Agents aren't the worst thing for your team. Tony Romo sits to pee was a free agents the pukes signed and he helped them turn it around same thing with Jerome Harrison for Pittsburgh....Not all free agents are bad, it's the ones that you plan to throw in as immediate starters that cause us the most trouble, Gimmie that hungry young player like Anthony Armstrong who was a free agent when he joined the team that works his ass off and gets more playing time. Those guys like him and Keiland Williams are free agents who can make up your core too.

Young, Hungry, Inexpensive, Talented

Gimmie 20 free agents like that and we'll be fine. Keep the big money stars away from this team. That won't work at all.

Sounds perfect. I would be stoked.

"Balzer points out that Atogwe’s skills are best suited to playing free safety, but that he has been required at times to play strong safety in St. Louis over the past two years."

-Don't worry, you won't have to. Happens to be a beast of a SS across the field over here in Washington. I'm so down with this.

And to those of you immediately pointing to his age, and our FA problems in the past...what the hell do you want? To never ever ever sign any FAs ever again? Should this team just be made completely of 22 year olds? Guess what, that team would suck, and no, it wouldn't just be awesome when they hit 27 because there will have been no veteran leadership on the team. It just doesn't work that way. Sometimes it's ok to bring in a guy who just got cut. What, is he only going to be useful on a team that's already championship caliber? He's a really good FS and we really need one, and that's that. So much overreaction around here sometimes. Calling it a 'horrible idea' is just very closed minded IMO

Again...for all my posts, I want to be clear:

1) No old players (meaning old at the position, FS last longer than RBs)

2) No offering record/monster contracts. Not worth it as it takes money away from more FA's.

3) I want to duplicate the 2004 FA class

4) No trading picks, we need them to start developing the team for the long run.

Again...for all my posts, I want to be clear:

1) No old players (meaning old at the position, FS last longer than RBs)

2) No offering record/monster contracts. Not worth it as it takes money away from more FA's.

3) I want to duplicate the 2004 FA class

4) No trading picks, we need them to start developing the team for the long run.

My sentiments exactly!

Who ever said signing OJ means we are signing 7 more FAs? This thread is about him, not other FAs or this teams spending past. Quit derailing the thread.

This...

LL56xtremeskins LL

@ @Joe_V_ @TKextremeskins @Burgundy gonna take more than 5.. everything goes right , he's not leaving dc

means that we are so in love with OJ that we are going to outbid all other teams and not let him leave DC.

That would be "overpaying" and a continuation of "our spending past". So yes, that is on topic.

means that we are so in love with OJ that we are going to outbid all other teams and not let him leave DC.

That would be "overpaying" and a continuation of "our spending past". So yes, that is on topic.

While, yes this is possibly true, I am going to wait until I see the contract numbers. I already stated what I think is a fair contract for him.

Archived