Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Profootballtalk.com: Atogwe will visit the Redskins Monday

sknz45

They will probably tell him to see what other offeres are out there to see if its worth bidding for him. If he's looking for something astronomical, then he's gone. If not, then I wouldn't mind signing him to a modest contract. Perhaps a 4 yr contract @ $15-18mill with about $8-$10mill guaranteed.

Wow, that was some tough negotiating there. $4.5 mil per year? That's top 10 at the position money there.

I have no problem signing stop gap veterans. I loved the Phillip Buchanon/Vonnie Holliday deals - 1 or 2 year contracts at around 1 million per year - designed to bolster depth and give some injury protection. Anyone over 30 should be getting these short term deals.

I think they should kick the tires.

As for over paying, I dont see that happening with Bruce doing the contracts.

And while its a great notion to keep getting younger, there can be alot said in regard to having a mix of vets and youth.

At 30 yrs old he has some good years left, and signing him would also give us time to find a very suitable replacement in the future.

Like anything else. He should play for his money. I don't want this to be another Deion Saunders thing. We want to make sure the man gives us what we want before we give him what he wants. Even though I think the 3-4 is not a good fit for the Redskins, Atogwe could make it work. If I'm correct, they are trying to make a 3-4 zone defense, but I would much rather see us force turnovers in man coverage.

Wow, that was some tough negotiating there. $4.5 mil per year? That's top 10 at the position money there.

I have no problem signing stop gap veterans. I loved the Phillip Buchanon/Vonnie Holliday deals - 1 or 2 year contracts at around 1 million per year - designed to bolster depth and give some injury protection. Anyone over 30 should be getting these short term deals.

i agree i dont think oj will bring in a major contract.

plus shanny has took a shot on bdawkins and lynch both went to the pro bowl for the broncos and if oj could make it to the pro bowl for us would u still not want him just wondering.

also london was one of the oldest players on the team last year and prolly are most consistent. im completly for the youth movement cuz it takes youth to win. but if this guys helps us win a couple games which i think he can. hell he beat the skins by himself a few years back. than im for it, im for winning and adressing bigger needs with the draft this year than down the road maybe were in a better situation and can draft a repalcement.

Wow, that was some tough negotiating there. $4.5 mil per year? That's top 10 at the position money there..

Yeah, but reports are that since last season he's been looking for $7-$8mill per year, which of course STL was unwilling to pay. So to cut his asking price in half wouldn't be such a bad idea, especially if you make the last year of the contract voidable.

Exactly. No reason to sign him

The Redskins FO this decade really does reflect the fan base. Impatient, short sighted and can get very hysterical.

I see no reason to bring in OJ at all

You can't, but why not see if Kareem Moore improves? Or if there is a younger option there? Or if Macho Harris can fill the role?

Get the shiny toy on the FA market has cursed this team for years

I really am glad that some of you people have nothing to do with running this football team. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with signing FAs to fill holes. There IS something wrong with shelling out a boatload of money for questionable talent. If you cant see that Mike and Bruce are running things differently around here with signing FAs and not overpaying for them then you are just naive.

Yeah, but reports are that since last season he's been looking for $7-$8mill per year, which of course STL was unwilling to pay. So to cut his asking price in half wouldn't be such a bad idea, especially if you make the last year of the contract voidable.

So you think because he was asking to be the highest paid safety in the league, and has since cut his price to top 10 at the position money, he is now a bargain, despite being 30?

---------- Post added February-21st-2011 at 10:02 AM ----------

I really am glad that some of you people have nothing to do with running this football team. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with signing FAs to fill holes. There IS something wrong with shelling out a boatload of money for questionable talent. If you cant see that Mike and Bruce are running things differently around here with signing FAs and not overpaying for them then you are just naive.

Paying a 30 year old top 10 at the position money the same year you are planning on splurging on other big ticket FAs does not indicate that things are being run differently.

"This time its different!" - the offseason battle cry of the Redskins fan.

one differnce in the shanny way is were not signing fa's that are washed up and asking them to be the superstars of the past, but just role players. to give depth and lead the younger guns. shanny has done a good job with fa's the ones that didnt work out are gone and the ones that did are major focal points of this team. things are different trust them.

So you think because he was asking to be the highest paid safety in the league, and has since cut his price to top 10 at the position money, he is now a bargain, despite being 30?

What i'm saying is that he may not get anything less than $4 mill per year. You're making it seem like he's at the tail end of his career. If he was a RB, sure. But FSs usually hit thier prime around 30 and i haven't seen any signs of him slowing down. BTW, personally i do have him as a top 10 FS in the league. Name 10 Free Safeties better than Atogwe.

Although I do agree that we need a upgrade at FS and adding Atogwe would be an improvement .............I'd rather see us go with someone a little more younger like Huff or Weddle but looking around cant hurt

I disagree with this notion, I think the best thing for LL would be getting paired up with a veteran FS. LL is a loose cannon and needs someone who has been in the league for a while, someone he can look up to and respect, to help settle him down a little bit. Atogwe or Sanders would both be excellent fit's at the FS position and both are proven veteran talent that can lead the secondary.

I have an honest question. Is OJ still any good? Why did the Rams cut him? Was it purely salary? Just wondering b/c I thought he had an off year.

I don't think its any doubt that it he was cut purely for financial reasons.

Atogwe knew this was a distinct possibility, given the nature of his contract. He had an $8 million roster bonus due Feb. 21, which in essence forced a decision from the Rams, who have used their franchise tag on Atogwe in the past and re-signed him as a free agent last year.

god damnit rwj that was my q

Defense Stats

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2005 STL 12 11 10 1 1 1.0 0 0 1 42 0

2006 STL 16 75 66 9 10 1.0 5 0 3 8 0

2007 STL 16 75 66 9 12 0.0 0 0 8 125 1

2008 STL 16 85 77 8 5 0.0 6 0 5 91 0

2009 STL 12 74 58 16 5 1.0 3 0 2 21 0

2010 STL 16 73 64 9 9 2.0 2 0 3 53 0

Career 88 393 341 52 42 5.0 16 0 22 340

It would be a very good move. The guy has hands that can hang onto the ball.

Haslett and him have history and anyone bold enough to walk in Mike Singletary's house and say I'm here to take your daughter out on a date then later on ask him is it okay to marry her isn't lacking stones. :)

Well my proposal was about $1mill less, but it was looked upon with scorn like he was washed up...IDK.

I think there are younger, better FS that will cost up to 8 mill but Atogwe is an older, steady true FS that could play the position well for another 3 years.

The only reason I like this move, is he understands what Haslett wants and Haslett knows how to use him.

This is like a London Fletcher type of move where he can come in and make an immediate impact (assuming the system didnt change in the secondary all that much from his STL days).

However, Fletcher signed a fair contract. If Atogwe does as well, I like it.

i would RATHER look at huff... BUT if huff wants way to much id take Atogwe

Huff is going to command more money, I think. Atogwe for let's say a 3 yr/15 mill or 4 yr/20 mill contract would be a heck of a signing. IF he would accept those terms.

What i'm saying is that he may not get anything less than $4 mill per year. You're making it seem like he's at the tail end of his career. If he was a RB, sure. But FSs usually hit thier prime around 30 and i haven't seen any signs of him slowing down. BTW, personally i do have him as a top 10 FS in the league. Name 10 Free Safeties better than Atogwe.

That'd be top 10 S money - FS and SS combined. He'd be the 7th highest paid free safety.

Here is a breakdown of every NFL free safety contracts and salaries for 2011:

Team: Player (age) - 2011 salary - contract details

ATL: DeCoud (25) - $555,000 - last year of 4 year rookie deal, terms undisclosed

BAL: Reed (32)- $6.15M - 5th year of a 6 year, $44M extension, $15M guar

CAR: Martin (26) - $480,000 - 3rd year of 4 year, $3.19M deal, $1.47M guar

CHI: Harris (28) - $1.095M - last year of 4 year, $13.3M deal

CIN: Nelson (27) - $957,500 - last year of 5 year, $13.2M rookie deal, $7.2M guar

CLE: Ward (24) - $405,000 - 2nd year of 4 year, $3.027M rookie deal, $3M guar

DAL: Ball (25) - FA - end of 1 year, $545,000 deal

DEN: Dawkins (37) - $6M - 3rd year of 5 year, $17M deal, $7.2M guar

DET: Delmas (23) - $608,750 - 3rd year of 4 year, $5.99M rookie deal, $3.5M guar

GB: Collins (27) - $2.9M - 2nd year of 4 year, $26.75M extension, $14M guar

HOU: Wilson (30) - released friday, sceduled to make $3.56M this season

IND: Bethea (26) - $4.745M - 2nd year of 4 year, $27M extension

JAX: Carey (24) - $480,000 - 3rd year of 4 year, 1.866M rookie deal, $116,000 guar

KC: Berry (22) - $3.25M - 2nd year of 5 year, $60M rookie deal, $34M guar

MIA: Clemons (25) - $480,000 - 3rd year of 4 year, $1.913M rookie deal, $162,000 guar

MIN: Williams (29) - $5.4M - 4th year of 6 year, $33.75M extension, $13M guar

NE: Chung (23) - $510,000 - 3rd year of 4 year, $3.975M rookie deal, $2M guar

NO: Jenkins (23) - $712,000 - 3rd year of 5 year, $19M rookie deal, $11M guar

NYG: Rolle (28) - $5.25M - 2nd year of 5 year, $37M deal, $15M guar

NYJ: Pool (26) - FA - end of 1 year, $1.3M deal

OAK: Huff (27) - FA - end of 5 year, $43M rookie deal

PHI: Allen (23) - $405,000 - 2nd year of 4 year, $5.03M rookie deal. $3.1 guar

PIT: Clark (31) - $2.5M - 2nd year of 4 year, $14M extension, $5 guar

SD: Weddle (26) - FA - end of 4 year rookie deal, terms undisclosed (SD expect to sign long term)

SF: Goldson (26) - FA - end of 5 year, $3.75M rookie deal

SEA: Thomas (21) - $625,000 - 2nd year of 5 year, $21.1M rookie deal, $12.32M guar

STL: Atogwe (29) - released - was in 2nd year of 5 year, $32M extension

TB: Lynch (25) - RFA - end of 1 year, min practice squad deal

TEN: Griffin (26) - $3.31M - last year of 5 year rookie deal

WAS: Moore (26) - $550,000 - last year of 4 year rookie deal

So Atogwe would instantly become the 7th highest paid free safety in football. People talk about FS playing well into their 30s - well, I see 4 starting FS out of 32 in their 30s. I believe that is the exception for HOF players like Dawkins and Reed, and not the norm.

Regardless, signing Atogwe to an multi-year contract in excess of eight figures is the height of fiscal irresponsibility, and shows that little has changed in that department, as well as the patience to build a sustained winning team.

FA quick fixes that do not benefit the long term health of this team have gotten us no where. So why is this time any different? Because there are different people empolying the same ****ty strategy that simply does not work in the salary cap era? No. More effective implimentation of building primarily through free agency does not change the fact that even flawless heavy use of FA is still a plan that undercuts young player development and ties too much cap space up in too few players. If Allen and Shanahan are hell bent on this strategy, I expect better results relative to Gibbs and Cerrato, but it is still a strategy that will fail, and fail miserably, in the long run.

Archived