Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank-You Dan Snyder

Mark The Homer

I opened my morning paper this morning and, lo and behold, another negative article on Dan Snyder. :ols: Are you kidding me???

I think it's time we outlined some of the recent good things Snyder has done - because this interminable bashing, by the media and even by fellow ES members, is getting out of hand. Of course, this thread will scroll off the front page in a few hours because, after all, it's no fun talking about good stuff. But that's okay. And I'm not going to spend half a day researching this, so this will be a short list. Right off the top of my head, here goes:

The HD Tron: This thing is amazing. You can sit at the 50 yard line, and watch the screen as the players run out of the tunnel - and the clarity is amazing. You can actually see the mesh of the jerseys - even their individual facial hairs - as they run out of the tunnel. If I was standing at the opening of the tunnel myself, the view wouldn't be as good. The replays are instant and are shown after almost every play. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Out-of-town scores: Constantly scrolling out-of-town scores. Pinch me, I'm dreaming. I've been wanting this for a decade, and now we have it. It is constant, it is real-time, and you can get a complete update on what's going on around the league in just a few seconds. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Extended Tailgating: Three - yes, three of the eight games last year featured extended tailgating for the fans. Instead of the usual four-hour-before-kickoff lot openings, we were allowed two eight-hour tailgates, and one six hour tailgate. This is a major benefit for tailgating fans. If you host a large tailgate, as many of us regulars do, you know you will spend at least a half hour setting up, and at least a half hour tearing down. Add the time to enter the stadium, and you're really only left with about two-and-a-half hours of pure tailgating during a normal lot opening. But change four hours to eight hours, and the tailgating experience is three-times improved. It's a MAJOR upgrade to the game-day experience. It gives us the opportunity to do things we've never been able to do: cook a pig, barbecue a turkey, smoke a brisket, etc. All in a relaxed, unhurried, festive, Redskins environment. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Uninvolved In Football Decisions: Isn't this what everybody wanted? Well, we have it. Every decision regarding Redskins football is now made by professionals who have spent their entire lives in football. Thank-you Dan Snyder. It is perfect.

Thank you MTH. Honestly I am very tired of all the Snyder Bashing on here and in the papers. Yes, the man has made some mistakes with our beloved franchise. But, in my opinion, the man tries to correct those mistakes. All in all, Dan Snyder is a Washington Redskins fan, and wants, as much as we do, for the Redskins to be successful. Did the man name the Redskins, the Redskins? No, it was originally named the Boston Braves, the same as the baseball team, then changed to the Boston Redskins, then they moved to Washington...all before he was born. Did he build FedEx Field? No, it was built before he bought the team. Honestly, my opinion of him changed when he brought Joe Gibbs back to the organization. And further improved when he brought in Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan.

I swear the amount of negativity, on the board, towards this man is horrendous. Now, if I see Dan Snyder in the title of a thread, I ignore the thread (This being the exception). So, unfortunately, I have been ignoring most of ES lately.

HTTR

Let's not forget that all of those changes were made only after fans (especially on this Snyder-owned board) complained loudly and frequently about them. Surely Snyder can't be such a poor businessman that he could afford to ignore the fans forever, could he?

And yes, I'll stop calling you Shirley.

(I have to admit I'm not sold on the last part about him being uninvolved in decisions. I think they give the APPEARANCE that he is not involved, but of course I can't prove that.)

Read Chris Cooley's thoughts about Snyder and the City Paper on this blog.....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/02/cooley_on_snyder_city_paper_re.html?hpid=moreheadlines

Being outside DC and not going to games I don't feel as much impact from Snyder as the local betheren. I would add two things though, he appears to be trying too hard at times to field a winner and I don't think he is going anywhere soon so learn to live with it. (serenity prayer)

I hope the learning curve is reaching some level of maturity.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 08:49 AM ----------

You missed the part about putting an actual NFL team on the field.

Only one team wins an NFL championship every year, keep that in mind.

Thank you MTH. Honestly I am very tired of all the Snyder Bashing on here and in the papers. Yes, the man has made some mistakes with our beloved franchise. But, in my opinion, the man tries to correct those mistakes. All in all, Dan Snyder is a Washington Redskins fan, and wants, as much as we do, for the Redskins to be successful. Did the man name the Redskins, the Redskins? No, it was originally named the Boston Braves, the same as the baseball team, then changed to the Boston Redskins, then they moved to Washington...all before he was born. Did he build FedEx Field? No, it was built before he bought the team. Honestly, my opinion of him changed when he brought Joe Gibbs back to the organization. And further improved when he brought in Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan.

I swear the amount of negativity, on the board, towards this man is horrendous. Now, if I see Dan Snyder in the title of a thread, I ignore the thread (This being the exception). So, unfortunately, I have been ignoring most of ES lately.

HTTR

Amen to MTH and the posters taking the high road!

DS has made his share of mistakes as an owner. However, he's mostly trying to do the right things to bring us a winning team on the field. Unfortunately, his mistakes have shot us in the foot many times. Hopefully, his latest moves bringing in Allen and Shanahan will pay dividends for us on the field.

As a long time fan, I check ES for 'Skins football news and breaking reports. This DS bashing stuff is just very tiring and boorish! I hope the CBA gets approved so we can get back to discussing the draft/FA and real football talk without all of this bashing garbage.

Hail!

I like your good intentions Homer.

I agree about the tailgating. I've been all around this league and we have some of the very best tailgating the game has to offer. It's even better when we have all day to tailgate and watch other games on the portatrons. That's PORTATRONS, not portajohns. I think I just made up a new word for mobile jumbrotron screens.:ols:

Although the jumbos and out of town scores are nice, they have been standard around the league for quite some time. The Redskins were late to the party. But better late than never.

Uninvolved football decisions... well I remain skeptical. Like Tony Wiley taking the heat for the lawsuits, I think Shanny has taken the heat for Danny's decision to get Dmac.

You and I are old enough to remember when that team could be the Redskins. All we had at RFK was cheap parking, a light bright, and great teams. Mainly because the owner was only concerned about the 3rd one.

Also remember there are teams that have never won a Lombardi. Lions, Eagles, Cardinals, Browns, Seahawks, etc. for a total of 14 teams. We have won 3. Out of those 14 teams, 4 have never even been to a Superbowl, and the other 10 have lost when they have been to the Superbowl.

This might surprise some but I have yet to read any of the recent Snyder threads. I don't care, it doesn't effect my opinion of this organization and worthless to even get caught up in it.

I will however read and participate in this one....Thank-You Mark the Homer.;)

You and I are old enough to remember when that team could be the Redskins. All we had at RFK was cheap parking, a light bright, and great teams. Mainly because the owner was only concerned about the 3rd one.

Jack Kent Cooke built Fed Ex Field, not Snyder, so I'm not sure how he gets blamed for that one. Anyway, the point of this thread is to be positive. There are about 100 threads in Stadium currently where you can bash Snyder, and it's getting very very old. He improved the Stadium, which I haven't heard anyone cry about, didn't raise ticket prices for years when every other team in the league was doing it, and spent as much as he could to put a good team on the field, which is what the owner is supposed to do.

I appreciate that Dan tries to put a good team together, even if the method he chose initially didn't work out. He then brought back Gibbs and let Gibbs run the show, we went to the playoffs twice (and should have beat the team that went to the SB, Seattle, in the teams first playoff appearance in about a decade). Sean died and Gibbs retired and he was trying to find a coach, and by all accounts he let Vinny hang himself with Jim Zorn. After two years he got rid of both of them and now, IMO, the ship is turned right again.

Things will be better, but again, just because the guy made some back football decisions for years doesn't mean making the right football decisions will instantly get us to the SB. It's been one year, straighten out your catheters and relax.

So' date=' we are happy that The Owner took ten years to do things that most teams have done without being prompted.

I guess that's good. It's sort of like praising a parent for finally cooking dinner for their kids though.[/quote']

So are you supposed to praise the parent, or tell them how ***** their casserole is? What do you think is more effective?

Thanks Mark for posting this - was just thinking this morning, that maybe it would be nice to start a "Dan Snyder Forum" so the whiners could ***** & moan away to their heart's content. That way we could get back to what many of us want to be talking about, ACTUAL football news without having to wade through the war torn streets of "I Hate Little Danny Land"...

Get over it people, the guys made multiple mistakes, he seems to be an ******* in real life, but at least he's finally getting out of football operations and made some GREAT moves the past few years...cut him some slack already.

Archived