Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank-You Dan Snyder

Mark The Homer

Before Dan Snyder took over, how many seasons did the Redskins have of consecutively missing the playoffs?

I call foul.

This was my big excuse on behalf of Danny about 5 or so years ago.

It doesn't hold up anymore. It doesn't matter what happened before his ownership. He's had more than enough time to put his "stamp" on this franchise.

Wow,

None of what you said is true. Worst owner? You must have been on the moon in the last 5 years. Are you kidding me? Waaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaaaaa.

Give me a break. You must be Perfect?

dude, give it a rest. snyder is a poor owner, plain and simple. he puts a poor product on the field, makes impulsive decisions, surrounds himself with yes men, gets involved in lawsuits with people just to be a bully (and if you read through the case he just filed, its a lolfest), and overall has a bad reputation for being just a bad dude.

now we have a thread thanking him for stuff that should be commonplace for any NFL team? sorry, i cant do it. LKB made a funny point but hes 100% correct, you dont make praise threads for guys that are doing the very minimum. when snyder goes out of his way and does something truly great that benefits the team/the fans that isnt the norm, ill be there to give him his due props, but until then, hes the same old bad owner that we're saddled with for the next 30 years.

Before Dan Snyder took over, how many seasons did the Redskins have of consecutively missing the playoffs?

Good point...they were on a 6-year downward spiral (1993-1998), including some of the lowest lows I had ever seen as a Redskin fan (1993, 1994, 1998). So, it's fair to say that Snyder didn't improve the team much when he took over, but it's not fair for the anti-Snyder people to re-write history to make it seem as though we went from Gibbs I right into Dan Snyder mediocrity.

By my count, the team was 36-59-1 in the 6 seasons prior to Snyder taking control. As an OBJECTIVE poster, I will concede that 1999 is a season that should pretty much not count either way since Snyder owned the team, but didn't really have much impact on the culture. So, even doing that (which dings Snyder's record somewhat given that I'm taking away a winning season/division championship), the next 6 years under Snyder produced a 44-52 record. So, nothing to puff your chest out about, but it was an improvement over the same time period before he took over.

Edit: One more thing in fairness...I take it back that removing 1999 dings Snyder's record (since I then included 2005 which had the same record). The only thing he loses credit for is the division championship. So, his first 6 seasons resulted in the same record whether we include 1999 or not.

Ummmmm....Zero? Unless you are giving him credit for rebuilding the franchise in 3 months. Then 8-8, then 8-8, then 7-9, then 5-11, then 6-10. Spot a trend?

Try 6 straight years of missing the playoffs before he took over. He's been in charge for 12 seasons and we've made the playoffs 3 times. Are we really doing so much worse?

Try 6 straight years of missing the playoffs before he took over. He's been in charge for 12 seasons and we've made the playoffs 3 times. Are we really doing so much worse?
If you give him any credit for the 1st year you are mistaken. Casserly built that team and Snyder drove it into the ground in 5 years. You are a bit young, so I'll give you a pass on your history.

snyder is a poor owner, makes impulsive decisions, surrounds himself with yes men.

A lot of people say this but yet they praise every single one of Snyder's initial decisions... everytime we sign a marquee Free Agent, the fan base is elated. Then when the team doesn't do well, everyone blames Snyder.

People also forget that during Gibbs II, Snyder gave final say of all football matters to Gibbs. People like to forget this fact though because they love Gibbs and would rather place the blame on Snyder.

I don't know, 6?

Again, what does that have to do with anything? They were clearly on the right path - the last team that Snyder had nothing to do with - 1999 - won the division. We all know what happened the next season when it really became "Dan's team."

Regardless, it is ridiculous to compare the direct pre-Snyder era with the Snyder era. The team was much better run before Dan got a hold of it. Bringing in Brad Johnson was a great move, letting Casserly and Norv run the show was way better than the circus that has followed. As others have pointed out, it was still a team we could be proud of, even when we weren't winning.

It was a far cry from today, where it's literally embarrassing to be a Skins fan. And we all know why.

Ummmmm....Zero? Unless you are giving him credit for rebuilding the franchise in 3 months. Then 8-8, then 8-8, then 7-9, then 5-11, then 6-10. Spot a trend?

??

They had MISSED the playoffs for 6 straight years PRIOR to Snyder taking over the franchise. No, he didn't make them instant contenders, but remembering that he took over a floundering franchise is a fair thing to do so that we don't make it seem like he took a perennial contender and ruined it overnight. The team he took over had started its previous season 0-7 after fading down the stretch in each of the two seasons before that (1996: 7-1 to 97 and 1997: 6-4 to 8-7-1).

A lot of people say this but yet they praise every single one of Snyder's initial decisions... everytime we sign a marquee Free Agent, the fan base is elated. Then when the team doesn't do well, everyone blames Snyder.

People also forget that during Gibbs II, Snyder gave final say of all football matters to Gibbs. People like to forget this fact though because they love Gibbs and would rather place the blame on Snyder.

snyder kept vinny cerrato employed for 10 years. that alone is enough to make me loathe the man.

notice how vinny currently works at food lion?

and sorry, a lot of fans do not praise his initial moves. i was not happy when we doled out 100 mil for fat albert, i didnt like trading picks for TJ duckett and brandon lloyd, i did not like signing ARE to a 30 million dollar contract, i didnt like signing jason taylor to an 8 million dollar contract, etc. this list goes on and on. most of his initial moves are impulse moves that are poorly thought out and 9/10 end poorly.

hiring jim zorn the way he did was also one of the worst moves in this franchises history. when was the last time a team hired a guy as the O coordinator, had a bunch of failed interviews with other potential head coaches, then handed the job to a guy you signed as something else a week prior? lol

If you give him any credit for the 1st year you are mistaken. Casserly built that team and Snyder drove it into the ground in 5 years. You are a bit young, so I'll give you a pass on your history.

The question I asked you stated "Before Daniel Snyder took over...."

I never mentioned or alluded to giving him credit for anything. My initial comment was in response to someone saying Snyder took one of the best franchises in sport and running it into the ground. Clearly, this is not true.

Are you really crediting him with 1999? Really? lol

Check post 54...you can take 1999 out of the equation entirely and we were still 8 games better from 2000-2005 than we were from 1993-1998.

I don't know, 6?

Again, what does that have to do with anything? They were clearly on the right path - the last team that Snyder had nothing to do with - 1999 - won the division. We all know what happened the next season when it really became "Dan's team."

Yea, I remember what happened... fans PRAISED Snyder for being a proactive owner and doing what it took to win. Fan's were thrilled we had an owner to give his team all the resources to put a winner on the field. Yet after all the praising fans gave Snyder for doing everything possible to produce a winner, a winner was not fielded. Then all the blame went instantly to Snyder.

YES.

My god...12 years and people STILL don't get it.

The Redskins are always average and always old. We've never built ANYTHING here in the time Snyder has been owner. It's always the same ****.

Clawing our way into the playoffs twice with mediocre teams is a credit to Gibbs, not to Snyder. The last time this was a GOOD team with a future was 1999, incidentally, the last team Snyder had nothing to do with.

LOL

No I'm not perfect. What does that have to do with anything?

This is about Dan Snyder, who has spent the last 12 years destroying one of the greatest teams in sport. As soon as I come up with a few billion bucks, I'll try to buy the team and see if I can do a better job than Dan.

Are YOU perfect? Than how can you possibly criticize me? Isn't that your logic?!

Mr. Man

Why do you and others continue to deliberate on things you cannot control. The object of Marks message is to start looking at some of the many positive things Dan has done and STOP focusing on the past and STEALING all of the off season moves trades and draft on foolish things and mistakes of Dan' s past.

You like many here must be ghosts and monsters to try and conitnue to haunt Dan and us with all of your sarcastic and overwhlming chitter chatter that amounts to poo poo.

We are tired of hearing it from the media and here. If you don't like Dan keep it to yourself in this post. I am sure that someone out there thinks you are disgusting for something you did in your past that you would like to think was a mistake and move on without constantly being forced to rehash every moment, especially if it had something to do with FOOTBALL,

Come on

Yea, I remember what happened... fans PRAISED Snyder for being a proactive owner and doing what it took to win. Fan's were thrilled we had an owner to give his team all the resources to put a winner on the field. Yet after all the praising fans gave Snyder for doing everything possible to produce a winner, a winner was not fielded. Then all the blame went instantly to Snyder.

This entire thread is nothing but fallacies and "what's your point?"

I was one of those fans in 2000 that thought it was just awesome that Snyder was doing the George Steinbrenner thing. Cause I was an idiot who knew nothing about how football worked in the 20th century. If *I* was running the team, I would have done the same thing likely.

And that's not a compliment to Snyder.

Like I've said 5 times this thread..."What's your point?"

Just because it's taken some of us longer than others to realize what a wretched curse Snyder has been to the Redskins doesn't excuse his horrible ownership. Sorry...try again please.

Cool post. Could not have said it better.

snyder kept vinny cerrato employed for 10 years. that alone is enough to make me loathe the man.

notice how vinny currently works at food lion?

and sorry, a lot of fans do not praise his initial moves. i was not happy when we doled out 100 mil for fat albert, i didnt like trading picks for TJ duckett and brandon lloyd, i did not like signing ARE to a 30 million dollar contract, i didnt like signing jason taylor to an 8 million dollar contract, etc. this list goes on and on. most of his initial moves are impulse moves that are poorly thought out and 9/10 end poorly.

hiring jim zorn the way he did was also one of the worst moves in this franchises history. when was the last time a team hired a guy as the O coordinator, had a bunch of failed interviews with other potential head coaches, then handed the job to a guy you signed as something else a week prior? lol

Duckett, Lloyd, ARE, Archuletta, and even your favorite Redskin of all time, Jason Campbell.... were all moves by Joe Gibbs...

I would agree a lot of people werent thrilled for Zorn... but you have to admit. A LOT of people praised Snyder for actually NOT going with the big name, and signing a guy many people viewed as up and coming.

This entire thread is nothing but fallacies and "what's your point?"

I was one of those fans in 2000 that thought it was just awesome that Snyder was doing the George Steinbrenner thing. Cause I was an idiot who knew nothing about how football worked in the 20th century. If *I* was running the team, I would have done the same thing likely.

And that's not a compliment to Snyder.

Like I've said 5 times this thread..."What's your point?"

Just because it's taken some of us longer than others to realize what a wretched curse Snyder has been to the Redskins doesn't excuse his horrible ownership. Sorry...try again please.

His Point IS.......Your Point is Pointless, No points for you...move on.

Mr. Man

Why do you and others continue to deliberate on things you cannot control. The object of Marks message is to start looking at some of the many positive things Dan has done and sto STOP focusing on the past and STEALING all of the off season moves trades and draft on foolish hings and mistakes of Dan' s past.

You like many here must be ghosts and monsters to try and conitnue to haunt Dan and us with all of your sarcastic and overwhlming chitter chatter that amounts to poo poo.

We are tired of hearing it from the media and here. If you don't like Dan keep it to yourself in this post. I am sure that someone out there thinks you are disgusting for something you did in your past that you would like to think was a mistake and move on without constantly being forced to rehash every moment, especially if it had something to do with FOOTBALL,

Come on

Last week, Dan Snyder sued the City Paper and demanded the firing of a low-wage journalist over an under-the-radar, tounge in cheek story that had all but dissappeared from our collective consciousness, thereby reinforcing the circus that is the Washington Redskins and again ensuring that we win the "laughing stock of the league" award for another season.

If you want to keep believing that "it's all in the past" go ahead, but those of us who've seen this movie before will continue to point out otherwise.

Duckett, Lloyd, ARE, Archuletta, and even your favorite Redskin of all time, Jason Campbell.... were all moves by Joe Gibbs...

I would agree a lot of people werent thrilled for Zorn... but you have to admit. A LOT of people praised Snyder for actually NOT going with the big name, and signing a guy many people viewed as up and coming.

i dont buy the "gibbs had total control" bit and i never will. dan and vinnys hands were all over some of those moves, especially the contracts. you really think gibbs wanted lloyd? a poor attitude showboating clown who never posted over 800 yards in a season? does he seem like a "gibbs" guy to you? vinny and dan signed off on all the trading picks, huge stupid contracts, and guys that didnt fit our system. you think gibbs really wanted saunders in here after that 2005 season? that didnt reek of "lets get something flashy!" from dan and vinny?

ill concede that gibbs made some decisions too that werent very good, but lets not just pretend that gibbs was some autocrat who ordered danny and vinny around to do what he wanted them to do. dans had his hands in everything (hopefully not anymore, but im still taking a wait and see with Allen).

To Crazy Levi, the main point of shining a light on the years leading up to Snyder's purchase of the team is to end the myth that Snyder took a perennial contender and ran it into the ground. Though I'd agree with you that the 1999 team was doing pretty well, if you look at 2000 (Snyder certainly had a hand in that season), the team would have been horrible if not for the Snyder moves. Our offense (the side of the ball that was left alone) fell apart while our defense ascended from 30th to 4th overall. Now, ultimately it was nothing more than an expensive and mediocre season...but the point is that Snyder didn't ruin something special...things were just as bad, if not worse, before he bought the Skins.

Check post 54...you can take 1999 out of the equation entirely and we were still 8 games better from 2000-2005 than we were from 1993-1998.
1993-1998 When the Skins essentially very little ownership due to JKC health problems. If you wish to conveniently "throw out" 1999 (a team that Snyder clearly had nothing to do with), the Skins still had 2 winning seasons from 93-98 and ZERO from 00-05.

Last week, Dan Snyder sued the City Paper and demanded the firing of a low-wage journalist over an under-the-radar, tounge in cheek story that had all but dissappeared from our collective consciousness, thereby reinforcing the circus that is the Washington Redskins and again ensuring that we win the "laughing stock of the league" award for another season.

If you want to keep believing that "it's all in the past" go ahead, but those of us who've seen this movie before will continue to point out otherwise.

Better than having a HIT MAN put on him, with all that money he has....right?

And all that Skin PR is great right?

So i'm right?

Right?

Archived