Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Well, I think it got that reputation because it used to, often, decide the National Championship and it is the oldest bowl in the country.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 12:20 PM ----------

:yes:

Not only that, but if we ever have a post season tournament in college football, that may have to happen with all conferences.

(Still think a twelve-team tournament of conference champions is the best way to go, but far be it from me to derail this thread).

I was there.

Fantastic game, Tech fans showed up in pretty decent numbers considering the location.

BC fans didn't. Doesn't help that they're 20 hours away.

Weather issues aside, the game is better off in Charlotte. The ACC obviously though they'd have Miami/FSU going to the game more often then they have recently.

Not only that, but if we ever have a post season tournament in college football, that may have to happen with all conferences.

(Still think a twelve-team tournament of conference champions is the best way to go, but far be it from me to derail this thread).

Its the off-season college football thread. If it has the slightest bit to do with college football, it's not a derailing. :ols:

Have to love those championship games. Look at all those people disguised as empty seats.

:ols:

Clever use of that picture, but that's more of an issue with having Boston College in the ACC title game than anything else.

(And no, it also doesn't help most of the ACC to have the game in Jacksonville, but most other schools can still travel in larger numbers than BC)

Clever use of that picture, but that's more of an issue with having Boston College in the ACC title game than anything else.

(And no, it also doesn't help most of the ACC to have the game in Jacksonville, but most other schools can still travel in larger numbers than BC)

BC doesn't travel well but it doesn't help that they're SO far away from everyone else.

Charlotte is the perfect venue for the ACCCG, weather withstanding.

You can drive there from every ACC school on short notice except BC and Miami

6 hours from tallhasee, give or take 6-7 hours from DC driving. Hence why there was a very good crowd for the game this year.

And to be fair, the 2005 game was a near sellout also (the innagural when FSU beat VT)

BC doesn't travel well but it doesn't help that they're SO far away from everyone else.

Or that they're a small private school that carries no real national relevance in football.

It's like I jokingly (sort of) said in the Random Thought Thread recently- if I had to eliminate one school from the ACC, it'd be BC in a heartbeat.

Championship games are the way to go. There's a reason the top conferences have them. The only reason the Big 12 doesn't anymore is because there's a lack of quality replacements for Nebraska and Colorado.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 06:04 PM ----------

What has to happen for UCLA to revive its football fortunes? Is it a matter of the coach, be it Neuheisel or whomever, or is there some other fundamental issue? The Bruins have only one double digit win season since 1999. They've finished above .500 overall only 4 times in the last 12 years and above .500 in conference play only 3 times. Just pinning this decline on the rise of USC is over simplifying things. There's enough talent in greater Los Angeles and in California in general for both schools to be power houses. So why is UCLA in such a rut?

Or that they're a small private school that carries no real national relevance in football.

It's like I jokingly (sort of) said in the Random Thought Thread recently- if I had to eliminate one school from the ACC, it'd be BC in a heartbeat.

That's why I said they don't travel well.

And I would and I wouldn't eliminate them. They've become a good rival for Tech but they really, really don't belong in the ACC geographically.

What has to happen for UCLA to revive its football fortunes? Is it a matter of the coach, be it Neuheisel or whomever, or is there some other fundamental issue? The Bruins have only one double digit win season since 1999. They've finished above .500 overall only 4 times in the last 12 years and above .500 in conference play only 3 times. Just pinning this decline on the rise of USC is over simplifying things. There's enough talent in greater Los Angeles and in California in general for both schools to be power houses. So why is UCLA in such a rut?

Neuheisel has certainly been part of the problem, as was Karl Dorrell before him (who apparently just had no clue how to really recruit and couldn't relate to his players at all).

I don't know enough about UCLA past that though.

With USC's sanctions, this is as good a time as any for them to step it up.

That's why I said they don't travel well.

And I would and I wouldn't eliminate them. They've become a good rival for Tech but they really, really don't belong in the ACC geographically.

They don't contribute much of anything to the ACC, but they create travel situations that suck for the rest of the conference, and despite usually being an overall mediocre team, they almost always have a top 15 or 20 defense that can create unnecessary headaches to have to face.

If Miami didn't have the "Hurricanes" brand to still rely on, as well as the small possibility of becoming an elite national power again (if their administration actually wanted that), I'd want to kick them out too.

(But admittedly, much of that sentiment comes from the fact that I ****ing hate Miami, and much of that small possibility of them becoming an elite power again stems from the fact that they can prop themselves up on the ACC TV deal until the University decides whether or not they want to take football seriously again...I'd personally love for them to not have that security anymore)

They don't contribute much of anything to the ACC, but they create travel situations that suck for the rest of the conference, and despite usually being an overall mediocre team, they almost always have a top 15 or 20 defense that can create unnecessary headaches to have to face.

If Miami didn't have the "Hurricanes" brand to still rely on, as well as the small possibility of becoming an elite national power again (if their administration actually wanted that), I'd want to kick them out too.

(But admittedly, much of that sentiment comes from the fact that I ****ing hate Miami, and much of that small possibility of them becoming an elite power again stems from the fact that they can prop themselves up on the ACC TV deal until the University decides whether or not they want to take football seriously again...I'd personally love for them to not have that security anymore)

Miami at least fits in geographically and doesn't cause as bad of a headache for traveling.

BC just doesn't make sense, though academically I can't really complain. Unless they find another Matt Ryan, they're not going to be competitive anytime soon.

So many programs in the ACC aren't doing their part though. Wake and NC State are the bottom of the barrel and we'll see if Randy Edsall can can bring the Terps away from irrelevance in football. Then you have consistently overrated Clemson that brings in great recruiting classes and can't do a damn thing with it. Duke survives only because of basketball, similar to how UNC used to but we'll see what happens to UNC's football program when they get slammed by the NCAA. UVA isn't exactly scaring anyone in football, I'm not sure London is going to be the miracle worker that Cavs fans want him to be.

Miami could turn around (and as obnoxious as everything Miami related is, its good for the ACC when they're competitive), and Clemson has the recruiting so if they were to find a coach they may be a contender but Georgia Tech, FSU and Virginia Tech are the future of ACC football.

Is VT going to remain elite in the ACC once Beamer calls it quits? Coaching hires are so critical these days. Is VT going to promote Bud Foster or look outside the program?

I would think that it might be Shane Beamer before it is Foster. I just don't think Foster is big-time college football head coach material. It will be interesting to see what happens because Foster has wanted a HC job in the past.

I would think that it might be Shane Beamer before it is Foster. I just don't think Foster is big-time college football head coach material. It will be interesting to see what happens because Foster has wanted a HC job in the past.

Shane is in no way ready to be a head coach.

I'm 99.9% sure its Bud's job once Beamer leaves. I think Bud really only wants one head coaching job, and its in Blacksburg.

I'm not going to post the image because people have complained about me posting it a trillion times. But UCLA bragged that they were the new **** in town, "New football monopoly in town", and then they continued to suck and put up mediocre records

UCLA has not been relevant in years and Neuheisel certainly did not change that

Isn't some current Redskins from UCLA? Kareem Moore?

Rivals shows that USC has 9 verbals for 2012.

7 of them are 4star commits.

Yeah. They are suffering.

:doh:

Sigh.

Doing it the right way in college football just doesn't get you where it should.

There is no parity. The people that are all for paying recruits need to realize that what little parity there already is will be destroyed.

A program like Virginia Tech will be sunk, because our athletic program doesn't make much money.

Shane is in no way ready to be a head coach.

I'm 99.9% sure its Bud's job once Beamer leaves. I think Bud really only wants one head coaching job, and its in Blacksburg.

Oh I don't think it is going to be anytime soon. I don't think Shane is anywhere close to being ready either, but I am not convinced that Bud is the right guy when the time comes. But who knows, I am not a VT fan, so you probably know more about the situation than I do. I do know that Bud has wanted other jobs in the past though.

Oh I don't think it is going to be anytime soon. I don't think Shane is anywhere close to being ready either, but I am not convinced that Bud is the right guy when the time comes. But who knows, I am not a VT fan, so you probably know more about the situation than I do. I do know that Bud has wanted other jobs in the past though.

I know for a fact he was interested in the Pitt job this past offseason.

I wouldn't be shocked if Bud wants a shot somewhere else to get some experience, but I sincerely doubt he'd turn down an opportunity to take over at Tech when Beamer retires.

I know for a fact he was interested in the Pitt job this past offseason.

Really, and who was your source?

Archived