Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Serious question: I saw a preseason top 5 that had FSU. Are they really expected to be THAT good this year?

they are definitely going to be much better than they have in years past....but I think top 5 is pushing it big time. I'd probably put them right outside the top 10....12 or something like that. I can reel off several teams I've got ranked higher than FSU going into the season in no particular order:

LSU, Bama, South Carolina, OU, OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Boise State

Undefeated FSU or Miami would absolutely be up there with names like OU, Texas, UF, USC, LSU, Bama, etc. for unbeaten teams likely to make the BCS Championship game by name recognition alone.

If OU, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, and most of the SEC were undefeated, FSU and Miami would have no shot at playing for the NC over them, is what im saying.

Edit: Barring a FAR FAR FAR tougher OOC slate.

It's all about where you stand in the BCS rankings. If Auburn had lost in November or December last year they'd have no chance at making the title game, whether they played in the SEC or not. There was just too much ground to be made up. Also, after Nebraska in 2001 I believe the BCS made some tweaks that make it very difficult to play for the BCS title if you don't win your conference.

they are definitely going to be much better than they have in years past....but I think top 5 is pushing it big time. I'd probably put them right outside the top 10....12 or something like that. I can reel off several teams I've got ranked higher than FSU going into the season in no particular order:

LSU, Bama, South Carolina, OU, OSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Boise State

Is this a list of teams that you think are genuinely better starting the 2011 the season, or teams you're ranking more highly because they could end up ranked more highly by the end of the year (due to their schedule, conference, etc.)?

I think South Carolina is a toss-up there in terms of being a better team top to bottom to start out, or with having a better opportunity at a stronger season. I would disagree with Wisconsin for being a better team, but now that they have Russell Wilson it's a slightly different story. I think Stanford could end up with only 8 to 10 wins due to losing so many guys (which is why I wouldn't bet on Luck winning the Heisman, despite what sort of year he might be personally in for).

I'd also love to play Boise State. I think UGA should win that game this fall, but I'm afraid of Mark Richt coming up with a way to botch that.

If OU, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, and most of the SEC were undefeated, FSU and Miami would have no shot at playing for the NC over them, is what im saying.

If FSU and Miami were also undefeated though? I certainly wouldn't say they would have "no shot."

If FSU went undefeated, that means they'd have victories over Miami, UF, and the ACC title game (let's say over VT). Three "marquee" wins on the resume right there. And since this is hypothetical anyway, let's say this happens within the next two years: that means FSU would also have wins over OU or WVU to add to their regular season resume.

FSU and Miami aren't programs on the outside looking in. They've been mediocre for the past few years, sure, but take a minute to glance through some of their rankings (preseason or following big wins) and look at how high they start out or how rapidly they move up in rankings. It certainly hasn't been justified recently, but both programs still carry pretty strong benefit of the doubt when it comes to the polls.

I really disagree that it would be this large of an uphill climb that you're making it out to be.

I think you think that FSU's name-recognition is better than it really is. Most people think that about their own school.

Miami isnt a "marquee" win unless they really turn it around this season. C'mon, they were barely .500 last year and got thumped in their bowl. Beating VT in the ACC championship would be a marquee win, beating any other ACC team would not be. Will Florida be a huge win? They finished 8-5 and unranked last season and arent the same team without Tebow. It'll still be a big win, but it wont be a top 10 win.

Who knows what is going to count as a marquee win year in and year out. Last year, the biggest marquee win was Oregon beating Stanford. Not many would have expected that to be the biggest regular season win last year.

That is a good point. Hell, sometimes teams win a game early and dont even know at the time that it will be a great win by seasons end.

I'd also love to play Boise State. I think UGA should win that game this fall, but I'm afraid of Mark Richt coming up with a way to botch that.
I'd never bet against Petersen though. Cu[cake schedule or not, 5 seasons with a record of 61-5 (38-2) is nothing to sneeze at.

I think you could add USC(once they are eligible again), Oregon (this year...after last year), and Notre Dame to that list

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

Is this a list of teams that you think are genuinely better starting the 2011 the season, or teams you're ranking more highly because they could end up ranked more highly by the end of the year (due to their schedule, conference, etc.)? .

I'm talking about what I think these teams should be ranked preseason. In order, my top 5 would be: Oregon, OU, LSU, Bama, Nebraska

I think South Carolina is a toss-up there in terms of being a better team top to bottom to start out, or with having a better opportunity at a stronger season. I would disagree with Wisconsin for being a better team, but now that they have Russell Wilson it's a slightly different story. I think Stanford could end up with only 8 to 10 wins due to losing so many guys (which is why I wouldn't bet on Luck winning the Heisman, despite what sort of year he might be personally in for).

South Carolina is absolutely loaded...I think they have a very good shot at running the table. They had their freshman RB last year rush for over 1100 yards and and have the best WR in football on their offense. The defense that was already loaded adds Clowney, who I think will be an impact player right out of the gate. I think they are a major sleeper team that people don't seem to be talking about much.

I think GA will fall flat on their face....Boise always gets up for these games.

If FSU and Miami were also undefeated though? I certainly wouldn't say they would have "no shot."

I wouldn't say no shot...but I think it is highly unlikely

If FSU went undefeated, that means they'd have victories over Miami, UF, and the ACC title game (let's say over VT). Three "marquee" wins on the resume right there. And since this is hypothetical anyway, let's say this happens within the next two years: that means FSU would also have wins over OU or WVU to add to their regular season resume.

The OU win is the only one that really impresses me out of all these. UF is likely to lose at least 3 games this year.....we have no offensive line, uncertainty at QB, and a new coaching regime. Miami is nothing special and VT doesn't get up for big games.

If FSU go undefeated THIS YEAR then they should be #1 in the BCS hands down. Beating Florida, Oklahoma, maybe a good Miami team, and VA Tech in the ACC championship would be the best resume out there...well it would be on par with a undefeated LSU. And after looking at South Carolina schedule I like them to make it to a BCS bowl game. Not the NCG, because I think they will lose to Bama/LSU in the SEC championship game.

If FSU go undefeated THIS YEAR then they should be #1 in the BCS hands down. Beating Florida, Oklahoma, maybe a good Miami team, and VA Tech in the ACC championship would be the best resume out there...well it would be on par with a undefeated LSU. And after looking at South Carolina schedule I like them to make it to a BCS bowl game. Not the NCG, because I think they will lose to Bama/LSU in the SEC championship game.

Didn't catch what Gator said before I said what I had to say. Also think Boise State will be UGA. Fedex is going to be a more hostile place than the Georgia Dome. Boise should be Texas in Dallas Stadium next year and make this thing a tradition...

How many SEC West teams would win the East if they were in that division? I'd say definitely 3 possibly 4.

Certainly 3.

But a lot depends on how good Georgia and the defense is in the 2nd year of 3-4 and how good Crowell is. If the defense is a C instead of an F, and Crowell can have a Lattimore type impact, they will be very good.

Having the best QB in the conference is a big deal.

no way....like I said before, Florida is a 3 loss team at best this year and Miami hasn't proven ****.

So who would you leave out if Oregon and an SEC team both go undefeated along with FSU?

Oregon only lost one game last year, if they go undefeated this year, they are going to be in the championship game. Especially since they play LSU in the first game of the season and they will have to beat Stanford and USC.

Apathetic about the upcoming NFL season (should we have one)? Slightly.

Excited as hell about the college football season? You bet your ass.

It's hard for me to get excited about the thought of my Gators running a Pro Style offense. I want my Dan Mullen Spread back!

Your not excited about having you QB finally in a system that fits his emmense skill set?

he is a senior and our offensive line is very suspect....so even if he did do well in this system, it would only be for this year and I don't think we have the team to contend this year.

I think Muschamp will be a great coach, I just wish he would have run the defense and brought someone else in to run the Dan Mullen style spread (not Addazio's)

no way....like I said before, Florida is a 3 loss team at best this year and Miami hasn't proven ****.

So who would you leave out if Oregon and an SEC team both go undefeated along with FSU?

Oregon only lost one game last year, if they go undefeated this year, they are going to be in the championship game. Especially since they play LSU in the first game of the season and they will have to beat Stanford and USC.

Stanford and USC could both very well be 3 loss teams themselves. Beating LSU would look great, but it'd be about the same as FSU beating OU.

Miami doesn't necessarily have to prove anything- they're still a noticeable name to have a "W" over (especially if it's a big win over them), and for all the criticism I have of them, they should be fairly decent this year, like an 8 or 9 win team with all of the talent they still have (next year they're going to fall hard though).

he is a senior and our offensive line is very suspect....so even if he did do well in this system, it would only be for this year and I don't think we have the team to contend this year.

I think Muschamp will be a great coach, I just wish he would have run the defense and brought someone else in to run the Dan Mullen style spread (not Addazio's)

I think it was probably a fine move to switch to a pro style. Mullen runs one of the best spread options out there and it wasn't going to be easy to replace him, and Saban built Alabama's defense in part to shut down UF's spread, so you don't want to play back into that.

I'll be more interested to see UF's gradual transition to a 3-4.

I think it was a good move even without Brantley.

The spread is so widely used now that two things are happening, 1) the pool of really good spread QBs is getting severly depleted, and 2) defenses are going over board to stop it.

Staying ahead of the curve and going to a modern pro style will keep you ahead of the curve in both competing for recruits and countering defensive evolutions.

Also, it's always better to play to your best players strengths.

Archived