Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

On the plus side, the regional sports networks (Comcast Sports ones) are cutting into ESPN little by little each year.

And VS is being rebranded again by NBC - so I am hoping they will have more NHL and College Sports than they used too...

Yeah, I suppose. I don't pick up Verses, but I would appreciate more sports on NBC or any of the major networks. It's a shame ESPN sucked all the life out of a living, breathing, beautiful entity that was ABC Sports; but nothing can be done about that.

I'm surprised that someone else hasn't come up with another 24/7 sports network. I mean CNN started the whole 24/7 news thing and now you have Fox News and CNBC. But if you want sports 24/7, its pretty much just ESPN. Sure Comcast has some stuff, but nothing like ESPN.

I'm surprised that someone else hasn't come up with another 24/7 sports network. I mean CNN started the whole 24/7 news thing and now you have Fox News and CNBC. But if you want sports 24/7, its pretty much just ESPN. Sure Comcast has some stuff, but nothing like ESPN.

There are, they just arent as popular. Versus is getting there, Fox Sports <city name> is good if you are near a city with it. Comcast I think is awfully good. Michael Jenkins may be my favorite DC sports media personality now that Lindsey Czarniak is leaving. :drool: :(

And not all cable providers carry Comcast Sports Network. I have Sudden Link down here. The only sports stations I can pick up are ESPN, ESPN 2, and FSN (which is hardly worth watching ever until football season).

Now, I'll be the first to say I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to ESPN. It's the station I watch most often; but I've realized that ESPN puts WAY more emphasis on the "E" than the "S." Once you realize that, watching ESPN becomes a much more tolerable experience.

23. West Virginia

Pros: West Virginia is the most SEC-like of the Big East schools. There are no pro sports to share the spotlight with in the Mountain State; the Mountaineers are the game in town. And while the Big East takes its share of abuse, the league offers the easiest path to a BCS game — and BCS money — on an annual basis.

Cons: Under the current landscape, it is going to be difficult for a Big East team to play for a national title. A team like West Virginia would have to go undefeated and even then, the Mountaineers would have a tough time beating out a one-loss SEC or Big 12 team in the BCS standings.

Final Verdict: West Virginia is the best job in a BCS league, which makes it attractive. But the relatively low national profile of the Big East prevents it from being an elite job.

While I understand that argument, I would like to make a declaration that oftentimes it's not valid.

In 2007, a 1 loss WVU team would have made the MNC if they would have shown up and beat Pitt in their last regular season game. Yes, LSU and UGA had 2 losses...but...saying a 1 loss team goes in over an undefeated team is the same as saying a 2 loss team goes in over a 1 loss team, right?

Should WVU be lucky to go undefeated this year, I think they trump almost any 1 loss team to the MNC.

*Unless LSU ends up with a losing record (which they won't).

Yeah can't argue there too much. I think a case could be made for moving ND into the top 10, but if you're talking about what have you done for me lately, then ND seems to be in the right spot.

I think the high profile of the ND job is it's biggest drawback. Win (a lot and every single year) or your ass is fired. You have every possible advantage, all the money in the world, you are on TV every weekend, and you are Notre Dame. Even Jesus roots for you. It's a lot of pressure.

I think the high profile of the ND job is it's biggest drawback. Win (a lot and every single year) or your ass is fired. You have every possible advantage, all the money in the world, you are on TV every weekend, and you are Notre Dame. Even Jesus roots for you. It's a lot of pressure.

Plus you get to play all the service academies, Rice, BYU, and Little Mary's School for the Deaf and Blind every year.

Plus plus, you don't have to recruit. Kids naturally want to come to you.

True, but top programs lke Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc. are the same, with the exception of not having Jesus on their side.

Ehhh...maybe.

South Bend, Indiana isn't exactly an ideal destination for a lot of kids who are either coming from or can choose to go to school somewhere in the South. And the academic requirements aren't an easy obstacle to overcome for most kids either, especially defensive players (which is part of the reason why Charlie Weis had a tough time pulling top defensive recruits).

Coaching at Notre Dame in 2011 is definitely a tough gig. I don't think I'd put it in the top 10.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

48 days until FSU vs Louisiana Monroe to kick off the season.

Cue the Bart Scott "Can't wait!"

Also- FSU has 3 players named to the 2011 Nagurski Watch List: LB Nigel Bradham, CB Xavier Rhodes, and DE Brandon Jenkins. From 2005 to 2010 combined, they only had 3: Ernie Sims in 05 and Everette Brown and Myron Rolle in 08. That's a product of going to one of the worst strength and conditioning programs in the ACC to one of the best and finally having some SEC-like Grown Ass Men as Jimbo calls them:

vz816c2iM7I

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 02:26 PM ----------

Also, since we were sort of discussing this earlier, I figured these would be a couple interesting little charts to throw in here.

From Football Study Hall, using the Football Outsiders FEI SOS rankings:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2011/7/14/2274767/strength-of-schedule-college-football#comments

Top 25 most difficult team schedules, averaged between 2003 to 2010:

strengthofschedule20071.png

Top 25 most difficult team schedules on a season basis, from 2003 to 2010:

strengthofschedule20071.png

Ehhh...maybe.

South Bend, Indiana isn't exactly an ideal destination for a lot of kids who are either coming from or can choose to go to school somewhere in the South. And the academic requirements aren't an easy obstacle to overcome for most kids either, especially defensive players (which is part of the reason why Charlie Weis had a tough time pulling top defensive recruits).

Coaching at Notre Dame in 2011 is definitely a tough gig. I don't think I'd put it in the top 10.

I wasnt saying ND should be in the top 10. I was saying that the pressure that comes with that job is why it shouldnt be. You are expected to win and yet, there are significant challenges that most other top tier football schools dont have.

Don't you know?

1-2 loss SEC teams should not be discounted from the MNC game.

It's a rule.

:doh:

Dumb rule. ANY-loss teams should be discounted. I mean, the regular season DOES matter right? Or this that more :bsflag: from the BCS?

:beatdeadhorse:

I wasnt saying ND should be in the top 10. I was saying that the pressure that comes with that job is why it shouldnt be. You are expected to win and yet, there are significant challenges that most other top tier football schools dont have.

Yeah, I sort of botched how I meant that in my last post. I was agreeing with you though. I think it's a somewhat overrated program and job at this point.

Don't you know?

1-2 loss SEC teams should not be discounted from the MNC game.

It's a rule.

:doh:

8 of the top 10 hardest program schedules from 2003 to 2010, according to Football Outsiders metrics, came from the SEC.

And SEC teams keep winning their national title games.

I think it's pretty difficult right now, generally speaking, to make a case that the best SEC team shouldn't keep going to the BCS Championship game, even if they have a loss.

Dumb rule. ANY-loss teams should be discounted. I mean, the regular season DOES matter right? Or this that more :bsflag: from the BCS?

:beatdeadhorse:

You know you're not being consistent here, but you're saying this anyway? The regular season matters, except when it's Boise State?

You know you're not being consistent here, but you're saying this anyway? The regular season matters, except when it's Boise State?
Hey, if Boise State is the only undefeated team (or one of two), damn right they should have a shot over a 1-loss (DEFINITELY a 2-loss) SEC team. Hell, I'll even say that for an undefeated Big East team (though this season the MWC may be stronger than the BE :ols: ).

The MWC is severely weakened. BYU & Utah are both gone, with TCU out the door next year. They're basically going to be the new WAC.
Even without them, Hawaii and Nevada are joining the MWC, which is better than the WAC. And I DID say THIS season ;)

Archived