Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Ohio St 2010 season and Sugar Bowl W is null and void...

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State says it's vacating its wins from the 2010 football season, including the Buckeyes' victory over Arkansas in the 2011 Sugar Bowl.

Responding to NCAA allegations over a memorabilia-for-cash scandal that cost former coach Jim Tressel his job, Ohio State says Friday it also is waiving a $250,000 fine it had imposed on Tressel and changing his resignation to a retirement. Through the school, the ex-Buckeyes coach says that he is taking responsibility for the NCAA inquiry, which developed after it was learned Tressel failed to report players receiving improper benefits.

The university also is imposing a two-year probation period on the program, which means there would be harsher penalties if any further wrongdoing is discovered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6749330

Brilliant breakdown of the situation although both Miami and FSU still have a ways to go to catch up with VT

I don't think FSU still has a ways to go at all.

FSU is turning into the same type of SEC-style team that programs like LSU, Alabama, and UF have produced lately (which isn't surprising, considering FSU's location for talent and FSU's coaching staff make-up). Combination of top level talent with size, speed, and the rotational depth that are hard for about 95 percent of other teams in the country to match up with. The only question will be FSU's coaching, but I trust what the staff has done so far.

VT meanwhile is still currently going with their usual blue-collar 3 star recruiting class that will produce pretty good overall results due VT's coaching staff, but will ultimately be expected to overachieve against teams that they're just not capable of beating.

Also, going into the 2011 season, VT's current projected starting front 7 will weigh in at a paltry 1703 pounds. That's absurdly light, even for VT's normal standards as of late. And that's with the starting safeties coming in around 190 pounds each. Good luck with that run defense when you play a big o-line this year. I'm not entirely sure what Bud Foster is going for at this point- sacrificing size, to that large of a degree, for speed, doesn't work against high level offenses. That was the defensive recruiting method that saw FSU's defense continuously slip until it became a national joke.

(and following that sort of theme- VT has 4 LBs committed in their 2012 class so far, and all 4 weigh in between 200 and 215 pounds...so this is clearly a trend that Foster and VT are committed to following)

I would agree that Miami has a long ways to go though. They're going to end up with a top 15 to 10 ranked recruiting class, but it's going to be artificially inflated because they're going to take about 30 guys who are all ranked between 3 and 4 stars.

Pro scouts thought JaMarcus Russell could pass too.

To be fair, Russell could pass at the college level.

I guess what didn't come across to scouts was how hard the LSU coaching staff had to be on him to keep him working and in shape, and to help make up for basically not having any serious direction in his life coming from his family and home.

On top of that, he went to the freaking Raiders.

It's not like I think Russell could have been the next Peyton Manning or even the next Matt Ryan or someone, but I also think that him being the massive joke and bust that he is now is an amalgamation of a lot things that went on for him since entering the NFL, not just poor scouting of what he really looked like at LSU.

I am frustrated by Bud Foster's unwillingness to try and get bigger.

Nick Acree was a 300 lb guy in high school and a pretty highly touted recruit, and now he's down 20 lbs to the mid 270s. The starting 7 gets pushed around by power running games and it doesn't seem like anyone on the entire staff is willing to do anything about it.

I love Bud Foster and its not like he won't make some changes but our recruits in both trenches are absurdly light. The OL recruits are almost always TEs that get converted, which usually gives VT a more athletic line but they're too 'light in the pants'.

I'm hoping the significant changes (at least significant in terms of Beamer's tenure) will significantly help the recruiting going forward. So far we only have one OL recruit in 2012 and that's our biggest priority. Priority #2 is DTs.

Its infuriating because a majority of the older Tech fans keep repeating the "we'll take ours and play theirs" mantra, which works just fine if all you want to do is win ACC Championships. I guess I'm getting spoiled but I'd like VT to compete for National Championships or at least be able to compete with the top tier programs when we face them in a BCS bowl and not get our **** pushed in like we did last year in the Orange Bowl.

I love the 2011 UF Football poster:

uf2011.jpg

I have no idea what their marketing department was doing when they made this. Judging by the glowing, badly photoshopped alligator and the bizarre photo of Will Muschamp that makes him look like a pissed off martial arts sensei, I would guess it involved tons of hallucinogenic drugs while drinking cases of 4 Loko.

Jordan Jefferson is hideous at QB. One of the worst passing QB's in the game last year. He went like a long streak without throwing a TD lol

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 04:29 PM ----------

Don't let the bad photoshop distract you from Florida justice going on

Muschamp doesn't take **** from nobody

Anyone who thinks FSU "still has a ways to go" isn't really paying attention.

Vegas agrees with me. http://www.betvega.com/bcs-champion-odds/

(I'm sorry, but UGA 50-1 seems like a great value to me, and Oklahoma is rightly the favorite)

LOL, i've made a LOT of money because too many degenerate gamblers always think the "brand name" teams are going to be great every year. Texas is their 12th most likely team to win the NC? Looks like my "always bet against" team is shifting from Michigan to the Longhorns.

LOL, i've made a LOT of money because too many degenerate gamblers always think the "brand name" teams are going to be great every year. Texas is their 12th most likely team to win the NC? Looks like my "always bet against" team is shifting from Michigan to the Longhorns.

I certainly wouldn't bet on FSU to win the BCS Championship this year (and I think betting on just about any team to do so and expecting them to actually win is tough, considering the amount of injury, scheduling, and on-field luck that goes into even making the BCS title game), but for looking at which teams should be fairly good this year, I'd say that Vegas usually gets more of those right than wrong.

You can basically pencil in Bama/LSU as one of the NC teams this season.

Yeah, right now I'd probably say LSU/Bama vs OU sounds right.

I think FSU could win the ACC. I don't think that its that far fetched.

Like The Tris said, if anyone thinks that FSU winning the ACC is far fetched, they just haven't been paying attention to ACC football in the last year or so. They're the current slight favorites over VT, as they should be heading into the season.

Archived