Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Assuming by conference winners, we mean winners of the championship games, if the conferences have them.

ACC: Virginia Tech

Big East: WVU

Big Ten: Nebraska

Big 12: Oklahoma

Pac 12: Stanford

SEC: LSU

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 07:40 AM ----------

LSU plays both Oregon and WVU OOC this year.

Dang. :applause:

I am sticking with my prediction for now. If it does hit the fan, Stanford would be my next guess. The NCAA moves too slow for any type of punishment to come into play this year. Harris was driving a car that was rented by an Oregon staff member when he got the ticket. I would like to see how the NCAA penalizes them for it.

In one hour (9 AM west coast), Oregon is releasing all its documents on Will Lyles. With the spotlight cast with the Harris incident, they would be wise to not hold anything back. Could be some major bomb shells. Or could be nothing.

Either way, once the NCAA decides to shine its selective investigation and enforcement your direction, you can be in trouble. This day and day, if you are a mjor college power, and they look hard enough, they'll find something.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 11:08 AM ----------

LSU plays both Oregon and WVU OOC this year.

Dang. :applause:

SEC gets a lot of grief for their OOC schedule, but this year along with LSU's two great games, there are some of the better OOC games this season featuring the SEC: UGA/BSU, Bama/PSU, and Ark/TAMU.

ACC: FSU

Big 10: Nebraska

SEC: Alabama

Pac 12: Oregon? (Stanford's losing too much for me to just pencil them in, but Oregon could be in trouble with the NCAA)

If FSU doesn't win the ACC this year (not that I think it's a lock, I think VT will still be fairly good), it'll be quite a disappointment, although I honestly can't see how they don't, barring key injuries happening or some sort of all-time coaching mistake.

This is the first year in a very long time where FSU is going into the season with the talent and depth to honestly compete like a top 10 team should.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 02:36 PM ----------

SEC gets a lot of grief for their OOC schedule, but this year along with LSU's two great games, there are some of the better OOC games this season featuring the SEC: UGA/BSU, Bama/PSU, and Ark/TAMU.

Programs like Alabama, Georgia, and LSU have usually been fairly open to challenging OOC games.

I think a lot of the more recent "SEC doesn't play anyone OOC" talk really stems from UF's OOC policy, which wasn't as big of a deal until they started winning BCS titles, and then people started criticizing them for it.

Although, as much as some people don't like when schools schedule like UF does, it's clearly the smart thing to do if you're trying to compete for a BCS title.

Although, as much as some people don't like when schools schedule like UF does, it's clearly the smart thing to do if you're trying to compete for a BCS title.
Sadly, I agree :(

Going undefeated against cupcakes (go ahead, say like Boise) means more than a challenging scheduke w/ 1 or 2 losses.

ACC: VT

Big 10: OSU

SEC: Alabama

Pac 12: Oregon

I suppose the biggest shock there is Ohio State. I guess i just think that they'll have a circle the wagons mentality. They always have a ton of talent, even if they lose some idiots. If they can get some decent QB play, they will be fine. I very nearly picked LSU to win the SEC. Steve Kragthorpe plus Jordan Jefferson just doesnt seem like a winning offense. I think the WVU game against them is going to be fun to watch.

I think the WVU game against them is going to be fun to watch.

If LSU beats Oregon to open the season, they should come into Morgantown later that month as a top 5 team.

WVU only has Marshall, Norfolk State, and Maryland to open the season before the LSU game. :doh:

Not sure how much prep work that will give them for LSU.

Sadly, I agree :(

Going undefeated against cupcakes (go ahead, say like Boise) means more than a challenging scheduke w/ 1 or 2 losses.

I wish I could "like" this post from you, like on Facebook or something.

You are correct though- Boise is a great example of how to work the BCS scheduling game. They cruise through a ton of cupcakes, have 1 or maybe 2 solid opponents each year (usually to open their season, and maybe one in the middle or end of their season), and get a lot of media exposure as the anointed "BCS Buster" team.

That EJ Manual guy is not going to lead you to the promised land. He can't beat the elite teams...

That's a little tough to say.

Considering he's only ever played one "elite" team, and that was as a redshirt freshman against UF, which also happened to be Tim Tebow's last game at the Swamp.

No team in the country was going to beat UF under those conditions that day.

I'm not worried about the future success of EJ Manuel.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

If LSU beats Oregon to open the season, they should come into Morgantown later that month as a top 5 team.

WVU only has Marshall, Norfolk State, and Maryland to open the season before the LSU game. :doh:

Not sure how much prep work that will give them for LSU.

That sounds ideal for WVU.

Marshall and Norfolk State are cupcakes and Maryland will probably be pretty bad next season. 2 or 3 games to warm-up before a top 5 team visits is about right.

The SEC West race is going to be fascinating.

The past four years, Arkansas has had LSU's number, going 3-1 with the sole lost being this ridiculous Thanksgiving game

Over the same period, Alabama has dominated Arkansas, going 4-0 with only one game being decided by less than a TD.

And of course, LSU has been the toughest opponent for Alabama in the SEC, going 2-2 with a total of 5 points seperating the two combined.

A little rock, paper, scissors, which is why I didn't pick a winner.

I think Arkansas without Mallet takes a huge step back, they dont have the institutional advantages to reload on 5 star talent like LSU and Bama.

Perhaps you missed Tyler Wilson carve up Auburn for 332 yards and 4 TDs in 2 quarters and change of football last fall.

9EFyRTnpNxA

Kid is really, really good.

And considering they get healthy with their best WR Greg Childs coming back (missed half of last year), and I think they are going to be fine.

Alabama is going to have a much bigger drop off at QB than Arkansas IMO.

He lost to VA Tech last year. and didn't play well against South Carolina (good not great team)...Florida State may make it to the ACC Championship game, but I got them losing to VA Tech again...

He wasn't the reason FSU lost to VT last year.

He went 23/31 for almost 300 yards and a TD. He also had 2 picks, one of which went back for a pick-6, but that was probably one of the flukiest pick-6's I've ever seen. It was also his first time playing in an ACC Championship game, as a redshirt sophomore no less.

The bigger problem was FSU's defense not having enough depth/health along the DL (which I predicted would happen before the game was even played, since FSU really did seem to spend everything they had left on the season on beating UF the week before), so they couldn't contain Tyrod at all (it should also be said that at the end of the '10 season, Tyrod Taylor was nearly playing at a Heisman-like level), and FSU's safeties, particularly Nick Moody, kept screwing up their coverage assignments, leaving Danny freaking Coale wide open for 6 catches for almost 150 yards (and 3 or 4 of those big gains from Coale painfully came on 3rd and longs).

FSU's defense didn't have it in them to match Tyrod and VT's offense. That's not on EJ Manuel.

Against South Carolina, Manuel went 11/15 for 84 yards and a TD (including going 7/7 with the TD on the final game sealing drive) and had 7 carries for 46 yards.

South Carolina, according to Football Outsiders, also had the 28th overall defense by FEI, and the 6th overall defense by S&P rating.

nu49udfS1iw&start=438

I honestly don't know what you're talking about at this point. The sample size on EJ Manuel isn't huge, but from what he's shown thus far, there's no way you could argue that he hasn't shown a lot of big time potential, unless you've never really watched the guy play or you're just trying to make an argument out of something here.

Simply put, the guy was one of the most highly recruited QBs in the country for a reason.

Perhaps you missed Tyler Wilson carve up Auburn for 332 yards and 4 TDs in 2 quarters and change of football last fall.

9EFyRTnpNxA

Kid is really, really good.

I did miss that. I'll have to check out the preseason returns on that kid.

Alabama is going to have a much bigger drop off at QB than Arkansas IMO.

The other point of my post was that Alabama doesnt need as good of QB play as Arkansas because they are better at most other positions. Bama may have the best offensive line in the country the year, and Trent Richardson. Plus they are always solid on D. Arkansas just hasnt recruited the same type of guys that Bama has.

The other point of my post was that Alabama doesnt need as good of QB play as Arkansas because they are better at most other positions. Bama may have the best offensive line in the country the year, and Trent Richardson. Plus they are always solid on D. Arkansas just hasnt recruited the same type of guys that Bama has.

I would agree with you on this.

I've read a few articles talking about how this could actually be Alabama's best defense yet.

I agree, which is why despite a huge QB drop off, I still think they are odds on favorite to emerge from the West.

Without great QB play, Arkansas is dead in the water. I just think they'll get great QB play.

Aside: I think Tyler Wilson could emerge as a strong 2012 NFL prospect. If he does, it will make the 2008 recruiting class a ridiculously loaded QB class, with Gabbert, Luck and Jones as well.

Look at all the excuses haha...wasted all your energy on Florida the week before, Tyrod playing at Heisman level and then trying to justify Manuel SC statline. First of all Tyrod was not playing at Heisman level to end the year...you guys made him look like a legit Heisman candidate that game. It was like a grown man playing against children that day. Passing for 84 yards on 11 completions is not very good. He was obviously managing the game since the team ran for 200+ yards that day, but only threw for 90 yards. You are also looking past too many teams. Fisher did well his first season so I don't see why Edsall and Golden can't do the same. Clemson and NC State (easy schedule) can run with you guys as well. Plus Florida State has yet to stop GA Tech triple option. I wouldn't crown em the champ this early...

Look at all the excuses haha...wasted all your energy on Florida the week before, Tyrod playing at Heisman level and then trying to justify Manuel SC statline. First of all Tyrod was not playing at Heisman level to end the year...you guys made him look like a legit Heisman candidate that game. It was like a grown man playing against children that day. Passing for 84 yards on 11 completions is not very good. He was obviously managing the game since the team ran for 200+ yards that day, but only threw for 90 yards. You are also looking past too many teams. Fisher did well his first season so I don't see why Edsall and Golden can't do the same. Clemson and NC State (easy schedule) can run with you guys as well. Plus Florida State has yet to stop GA Tech triple option. I wouldn't crown em the champ this early...

I get the feeling, from your posts here, in the Stadium, the NBA thread, and other sports topics that you don't know as much on these topics as you seem to think you do.

There's a lot wrong with your post, and I can't go into great detail on why, because I don't care enough/don't have the time/I don't think anybody really cares that much.

I'll just say that:

1) I know that you don't know anything, outside of ESPN blurb type of generalities, about FSU's football program, so I can't address anything about that with you because you'll just resist whatever I attempt to explain

2) You're underrating just how important Tyrod was to the VT offense last year (Football Outsiders metrics: 11th in FEI, 12th in S&P)

3) There's clearly nothing you can give EJ Manuel credit for (and really, who cares, since I'll place my bets on a highly recruited 4 star/5 star QB entering his redshirt junior season, coached by a QB coach and OC like Jimbo Fisher, over what ATLredskin thinks about it)

4) Edsall isn't my concern since he hasn't done anything notable at Maryland so far other than lose a great defensive coordinator and hire a completely inept offensive coordinator

5) Golden also isn't my concern since Miami has a lot of their own deep problems as a program, and they're not in the same division as FSU, and while they're still very talented from Randy Shannon's leftovers, they're not doing very well in trying to catch up to FSU or UF in recruiting

And 6) To cut to it, the only other teams in the ACC that feature anywhere close to as much raw talent as FSU, heading into this season and especially by 2012, are Miami and maybe Clemson...so FSU could still lose games and not win the ACC, but that will obviously point to an issue with the coaching staff, and right now that sort of thing is pretty hard to predict

Right at this moment, for this season, on paper I'd probably give FSU the slight edge over VT in an ACC Championship re-match. Let's say 55-60% to 45-40% chances. FSU could very well lose, and it'll be a big letdown (again, barring any major injuries that obviously highly impacted the season), but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

In 2012 however, after 3 straight top 10 nationally ranked recruiting classes (and 2 consecutive top 3 nationally ranked recruiting classes, with the way FSU's 2012 class is shaping up), if FSU doesn't win the ACC, it would be a significant disappointment and would probably result in some coaching changes, since there wouldn't be any other excuse for it.

I've said since 2007, when Jimbo Fisher was hired, that 2011 and 2012 would be the years that FSU would re-establish itself back as a legitimate top 5 to top 10 nationally significant program. The talent is coming into place, the player development is seemingly there (so far anyway), it's just going to be on the coaches. If FSU isn't seriously in the hunt for the BCS Championship in 2012, something went way wrong.

ACC - FSU

BE - WVU

B10 - Nebraska

B12 - Oklahoma

PAC 10 - Stanford

SEC - Whoever wins the West

Yeah, I'd forgotten Nebraska switched from the Big 10 to the Big 12 (think about it), Oregon may win though.

Boise gets the auto bid.

OU-'Bama in the title game :yawnee:

Lol at implications that Miami will do anything in the ACC.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 09:25 PM ----------

I am a big EJ fan. I think he wins ACC player of the year this year

A legend from another forum and noted FSU alumnus used to pimp him heavily during recruiting , so I was alerted of the legend's presence early on when he was recruited. Mad props to EJ

I am a big EJ fan. I think he wins ACC player of the year this year

I'm not sure about that, but it's definitely possible.

With all of the turnover in key players from last year (losing Ponder, Taylor, R. Williams, even Russell Wilson), the future "stars" of the ACC are kind of up in the air right now. I'm sure Manuel and Logan Thomas will be in the mix (and possibly Danny O'Brien if he can overcome his own coaching staff), and I'm sure there will be a couple random breakout guys.

OU-'Bama in the title game :yawnee:

This wouldn't be a bad bet right now for that game.

Bama seems pretty well reloaded from their last title run, and OU is as stocked up as they've been in a long time.

I really doubt OU lays the wood on FSU like they did last year (everything that could have possibly been exploited by OU against FSU, was), but I wouldn't be shocked if OU still beat FSU by something like 7 or 10 points.

Lol at implications that Miami will do anything in the ACC.

A legend from another forum and noted FSU alumnus used to pimp him heavily during recruiting , so I was alerted of the legend's presence early on when he was recruited. Mad props to EJ

I wouldn't entirely sleep on Miami this year.

Obviously, they're still handicapped by having Jacory Harris as their QB. The book is out on him. But they're still an overall really talented team. The only problem is, a lot of their talent and key depth comes from their seniors and other players expected to move on early, so while it wouldn't be surprising if Miami was an 8 or 9 win team this year, they're due to take a hit in 2012 when most of they're stuck between playing the older scrubs from the 2010/2011 Miami classes, and the freshmen from Golden's first class.

And Golden's currently putting together a fairly average class (which will look better than it really is when NSD rankings come out, since he'll probably take a massive class that will inflate its overall ranking), but to keep pace with what UF and FSU have done and are continuing to do with recruiting in Florida, Miami needs about a top 5 class this year. And that's not going to happen, despite what Miami homers or "recruiting guru" Tom Lemming might try and say.

They're also starting to let some kids in, who, academically, they didn't let in before under Shannon, for whatever reason. All together, I wouldn't be very surprised if Golden only gets 3, maybe 4 years, at Miami before getting axed. It'll probably come down to how well they do in 2013 and possibly 2014 (if he gets that long), but in Florida, you're just not going to do well if 1 of the in-state powers is just cleaning up, or 2 of the in-state powers are both doing very well, and right now, looking to the immediate future, Miami is the odd man out behind UF and FSU.

As for EJ- when he was being recruited, the debate over the best dual-threat QB that year was between him and Pryor. Pryor got the nod and the 5th star (although Pryor also played on a pretty stacked team while EJ's team was terrible his senior year). Seeing how things worked out, I'm already glad FSU had to "settle" for Manuel instead of landing Pryor. Bit of a difference between the demonstrated character of the two guys.

Archived