Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

You forgot the editors note:

Editor's note: "A Modest Proposal" is a famous piece of satire by Jonathan Swift. It advocated eating one's children. Please bear that in mind when reading this article.

:rotflmao:

Forgot or intentionally left off?

Was fishing to see if any Mountaineers on here bit.

Forgot or intentionally left off?

Was fishing to see if any Mountaineers on here bit.

I think most of the Mountaineers on here are fairly jaded to fishing attempts, after their back and forth sessions with VT fans in the NCAA Forum.

So apparently Colt McCoy's wife, seen here:

gheorghe77.jpg

Went on national radio this afternoon and said that poor players at Texas usually took improper benefits from Longhorn boosters.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long to :toilet:-can Bill Stewart.

Because, prior to this, no one knew how much of an ass he was, apparently.

It looks like Luck is just giving him more and more rope to hang himself. Which, Stewart appears to be doing quite successfully.

http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvufootball/story/id/1107

:beavisnbutthead::applause::applause::applause::cheers::groupwave::party::dj:

I would be surprised if he is on the sidelines this season. Really lost the luster on the good guy he has always been portrayed to be.

Too bad. I kind of liked the guy - despite his shortcomings as a HC.

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

600k buyout is the rumor..may happen tomorrow at the earliest.

This is great news, I don't think I can stress that enough. Really, as much as this has been a circus for WVU, this will be beneficial right off the bat.

Anyone else think Holgerson's offense will turn it up to 11 even more so this season? I think this would just be more motivation for Holgerson. God help the Thundering Turd come the first game of the season.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass Bill Stewart.

It's pretty much a done deal now. Stew is gone, Holgs is in.

The negotiations for Stew are happening now. Stew changed lawyers from a guy named Hendrickson (or something) to another guy. Hendrickson does a lot of work for the school and wasnt a good fit for a potentially contentious negotiation.

There was also just a staff meeting, without Stew. Evidently, from what I hear (so take it with a grain of salt), Holgs took over the meeting, laid out his plan, and everyone is extremely happy, especially the defensive staff.

They were TOLD they'd be getting significant raises this season, today the contracts were signed. Casteel's deal has jumped from $295,000 annually to a three-year deal that will pay him $400,000, $450,000 and $500,000 annually through the 2013 season. The rest of the D staff went to $250k a year for the next 2 years. So now with a significant emphasis on keeping the D staff happy and someone actually in charge, things look pretty good today.

PB,

The D staff is going to have to earn their money this year. Especially, if Holg's O is as potent as it has been. The D will be on the field a lot...and often.

Yeah, but we'll be playing with a lead, so Bruce Irvin and co. can tee off on opposing QB's.

I dunno if you watched the OK St bowl game vs. Arizona, but the first quarter went like this:

OSU: 80 yard 10 play drive for TD.

AZ: Short drive, obvious game plan to run the ball, punt.

OSU: First play 70 yard bomb to Blackmon, TD. 14-0 OSU

AZ, panicked QB under pressure makes a terrible decision to push the ball downfield because they are down 14-0 8 minutes in. Interception OSU. The game was never in doubt after that.

I just found out that one of the partners at my firm had some big news today -- he leaked it to me a few days ago. His son was recruited to play college football at Temple and became very close to Al Golden (former coach at Temple who is now the HC at Miami). Well, my buddy's son has signed his letter of intent to take his football talents to South Beach with the U!!!!! Dude, this is huge news. His dad is a huge Eagles fan - I joked today that the Skins love players from the U and in 5 years he may need to be a Skins fan!! HAHA

Congrats to my buddy Jack and his "THE U"-bound son, Jake (LB).

Was there really another way for this to go down?

I liked the take the guys from the Solid Verbal podcast on this though.

Holgorsen is this wild, young, fiery OC with a brilliant X's and O's mind and an affinity for partying. Stewart is the God-fearing, conservative old HC who was more of the figurehead type of leader. Their immense personality differences and the seriously awkward way they were forced together really should have resulted in a weirdly perfect union, like a stereotypical romantic comedy, resulting in a BCS championship. Such a shame.

It's good for WVU to get this over with now though before the 2011 season starts shifting into gear. If this had broken out during the year, it would have been a disaster for the team.

It's sort of obvious to point out, but WVU could be really good this year.

Such a shame.

:slap:

ESPN is all about RichRod coming back to WVU.

A) That'll never happen

B) Holgerson has a chance to be a fantastic head-coach...or he could be better of as a coordinator. Guys like that, who have brilliant systems, may not always be the best "head coach material" because there is a leap between coordinating and really being a great 'leader of men'.

Who knows. I'm obviously enjoying this roller-coaster and I hope its a spectacular failure but we'll see.

:slap:

ESPN is all about RichRod coming back to WVU.

A) That'll never happen

B) Holgerson has a chance to be a fantastic head-coach...or he could be better of as a coordinator. Guys like that, who have brilliant systems, may not always be the best "head coach material" because there is a leap between coordinating and really being a great 'leader of men'.

Who knows. I'm obviously enjoying this roller-coaster and I hope its a spectacular failure but we'll see.

Haha- I can appreciate why a VT fan would think this getting resolved in any positive way for WVU wouldn't be good news. FSU has a couple of weird connections to WVU though, so personally, I don't have any problems with their program, and while I don't think highly at all of the Big East as a football conference, I do have a very healthy respect for WVU football and what they've been able to accomplish over the years.

When I meant "such a shame," I guess I really meant that it's too bad that Bill Stewart had to exit WVU this way. The guy was officially made into the HC largely out of emotion, and he was definitely in over his head, but he cared deeply about WVU and the significance of being the HC there. Oliver Luck put him in a weird spot with a Head Coach In Waiting who's like Stewart's polar opposite personality wise, and Stewart reacted very poorly and immaturely, but overall I don't think he's as bad of a guy as I've seen some WVU fans make him out to be. What he did was inexcusable and bizarrely short-sighted, but I'd be surprised if he still doesn't love WVU football after this with a passion and it's likely that he'll seriously regret the way he handled all of this.

I suppose there's a chance that Holgorsen could bust as a HC. I don't know much about the guy at all, but I'm aware of his reputation as a pretty intense coach, and now we all have a better idea about his questionable (at least, for a big name college football coach) personal behavior when he's away from the football office. Guys like that, as you said, sometimes just work better as just coordinators, because they can end up being polarizing figures when they're trying to lead an entire team and building a program. His players could absolutely love him when things are going well and hate him when the chips are down.

But that's also an awful lot of shot in the dark speculation on our part. He could just as easily breathe completely new life into the program from top to bottom and really get WVU back on track to the national level while finally getting the program past the Rich Rod era.

I also imagine that Casteel will do a lot to help get the program running as smoothly as possible while they transition out of this Stewart mess, and help Holgorsen when or if he needs it. If this was all happening with a brand new staff that Holgorsen was bringing it, that'd be a little more difficult, but having a strong DC like Casteel around will prove to be fairly beneficial I think.

And at this point, I think we can all agree that doing the "Head Coach In Waiting" thing as cleanly as possible is just really, really ****ing difficult.

---------- Post added June-10th-2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

I just found out that one of the partners at my firm had some big news today -- he leaked it to me a few days ago. His son was recruited to play college football at Temple and became very close to Al Golden (former coach at Temple who is now the HC at Miami). Well, my buddy's son has signed his letter of intent to take his football talents to South Beach with the U!!!!! Dude, this is huge news. His dad is a huge Eagles fan - I joked today that the Skins love players from the U and in 5 years he may need to be a Skins fan!! HAHA

Congrats to my buddy Jack and his "THE U"-bound son, Jake (LB).

Poor guy. He's not going to enjoy all of the losing he's going to have to endure while playing at UM under Golden.

(But seriously, that is pretty cool for him. If he stays as a LB through his career there, he'll get some pretty solid coaching from Michael Barrow. And personally, I think I'd rather spend my college years in Miami over Philadelphia, so that sounds like a good deal to me.)

When I meant "such a shame," I guess I really meant that it's too bad that Bill Stewart had to exit WVU this way. The guy was officially made into the HC largely out of emotion, and he was definitely in over his head, but he cared deeply about WVU and the significance of being the HC there. Oliver Luck put him in a weird spot with a Head Coach In Waiting who's like Stewart's polar opposite personality wise, and Stewart reacted very poorly and immaturely, but overall I don't think he's as bad of a guy as I've seen some WVU fans make him out to be. What he did was inexcusable and bizarrely short-sighted, but I'd be surprised if he still doesn't love WVU football after this with a passion and it's likely that he'll seriously regret the way he handled all of this.

I agree. Stew is a good man that tried to do one thing underhanded and botched it completely. If Nick Saban needed to submarine a guy, I would feel sorry for that guy because Nick Saban is actually evil and knows how to **** on people effectively and efficiently. I mean that in the most respectful possible way and I LIKE NIck Saban. Im just saying that Bill Stewart is too nice of a guy to be bad effectively. It's a terrible trait for a head college football coach.

I suppose there's a chance that Holgorsen could bust as a HC. I don't know much about the guy at all, but I'm aware of his reputation as a pretty intense coach, and now we all have a better idea about his questionable (at least, for a big name college football coach) personal behavior when he's away from the football office. Guys like that, as you said, sometimes just work better as just coordinators, because they can end up being polarizing figures when they're trying to lead an entire team and building a program. His players could absolutely love him when things are going well and hate him when the chips are down.

There is that possibility for any coordinator getting a HC job for the first time, it was the same when RR got the job, it was the same when Stew got the job.. What is known is that Holgs is really sharp and a football junkie. I guess we'll see in a few months.

I also imagine that Casteel will do a lot to help get the program running as smoothly as possible while they transition out of this Stewart mess, and help Holgorsen when or if he needs it. If this was all happening with a brand new staff that Holgorsen was bringing it, that'd be a little more difficult, but having a strong DC like Casteel around will prove to be fairly beneficial I think.

Yep, Casteel is pretty awesome. I think he's going to enjoy getting wins when he defense gives up 14 points or less instead of wasting those efforts like last year.

Anyways, I feel like the team just won a huge game. Im so stoked right now. Can't wait to get to camp.

I don't care what anyone has to say about the incompetent immature squinty eyed little fool that just left our football program and our university. Bill Stewart was given a position he never deserved to begin with. I don't care if we had a head coach that was considered "evil" like Nick Saban. I won't apologize, coaches are hired to win games and ultimately championships, I don't care how much of a "nice" guy "coach" stewart was or is, which by the way, he he just showed otherwise. Oliver Luck is indeed leading this program to a better place, despite his fumbling of the whole head coach in waiting/ loser stewart fiasco. Overall WVU will go to places far above the expectations of the good ol' boy network. It truly is baffling there are some people out there that are willing to stand by the old guard willing to accept mediocrity. West Virginia University should expect the Big East Championship every season, even with the arrival of TCU in 2012.

Despite losing a bunch of starters on defense, Casteel will make sure his unit will play up to par. Coupled with Holgerson's offense, which judging by history will live up to expectations, we should and will win the Big East. Sure, that ain't too much to brag about, and I'll admit that, but under coach dumbass, I was never so sure about this than before. And no RR should and never will be welcomed back ever.

BTW, on a lighter note, Holgerson is really fitting in if you think about it with his alleged party reputation. Coach Holgerson just needs to hang out more with Coach Huggins if he hasn't already.

Hey, not only will we beat you, but our coaches will outdrink your coaches.

You guys should keep an eye on the 2012 OSU recruit fallout. Some of their 2012 recruits that were a lock, are now changing their minds about OSU. I know this is about 2011 off-season, but OSU just lost a 4 star DE recruit which is actually some pretty big news around NE Ohio.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2011/06/10/sports/doc4df2779892854023936214.txt

WVU isn't going to do jack ****! Their new drunk head coach will have further embarrassments.

If WVU has a shot at a national title, they will implode like they did before.

---------- Post added June-11th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

You guys should keep an eye on the 2012 OSU recruit fallout. Some of their 2012 recruits that were a lock, are now changing their minds about OSU. I know this is about 2011 off-season, but OSU just lost a 4 star DE recruit which is actually some pretty big news around NE Ohio.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2011/06/10/sports/doc4df2779892854023936214.txt

Forget 2011, 2012. With new allegations coming by the minute- OSU is going to be hit hard. There is more dirt pre-Pryor from 2007. I figure once it all said and done, OSU will have severe penalities that will impact the 2012,2013,2014 years and maybe more. So, any recruits are bound to change their minds. The NCAA needs to make an example that this can't stand and OSU will bear the fruit of it.

WVU isn't going to do jack ****! Their new drunk head coach will have further embarrassments.

---------- Post added June-11th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

Forget 2011, 2012. With new allegations coming by the minute- OSU is going to be hit hard. There is more dirt pre-Pryor from 2007. I figure once it all said and done, OSU will have severe penalities that will impact the 2012,2013,2014 years and maybe more. So, any recruits are bound to change their minds. The NCAA needs to make an example that this can't stand and OSU will bear the fruit of it.

Well they already have their '11 recruits there. Most likely scenario will be a 2-3 year bowl ban, reduction of 10-15 scholly's for 4-5 years, vacate wins from 2008, 2009, and '10. Then the BCS will step in and have them vacate the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl wins. But I think the NCAA will come down harder on OSU than USC. This new allegation with Pryor and Tallbott will make them go all the way back to 2008 now.

Our other drunk head coach took us to a Final Four in his 3rd year, I don't see how drinking and coaching success are mutually exclusive. Perhaps you can explain? You can't deny the guys track record on offense. Well, judging by your first post, you probably can, it just wont make any sense.

And it sure would suck to miss the national title by one game. Who wants to go to BCS games and have 11-1 seasons?

Archived