Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Just heard that Shannon turned Maryland down because he would lose too much money from his buyout.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2011/02/shannon_wont_be_maryland_defensive_coordinator.html

Can't really blame the guy.

He's getting 1.5 million to sit around.

Versus getting paid about 400 grand to actually work all year.

Not too hard of a choice.

Wonder who Maryland goes after now.

Looks like one more coaching change at VT

http://hamptonroads.com/blogs/kyle-tucker

Cornell Brown will be joining the staff. He played DT back in the 1990s, was an absolute beast, and was GA with the team several years ago.

Many have said within the program that he will be an excellent recruiter as well. The rumor right now is he'll take Cav's spot for the whips and rovers

: A strong source told me today that another football staff change will become official on Friday. Former Hokies star Cornell Brown will be joining the staff. That’s all the detail I have for now. That, and the fact that longtime assistant coach Jim Cavanaugh is NOT retiring. So I’m not sure how the Hokies are making room for Brown – or what role he’s taking. I’ll provide more info as it comes.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'm going to throw something out in this thread, which will probably get buried but what the hell. I'm sure this isn't a new idea by any means, but I feel like asking it anyway.

Why doesn't college football take away something from the English Premier League (soccer, for those who don't know) and institute a system of promotion and relegation? Going off ESPN, you have the Big-6 conferences, though the Big East could be argued:

ACC

Big East

Big Ten

Big Twelve

Pac 10

SEC

Then you have a six second tier D-1 conferences.

Conference USA

Independants

Mid American

Mountain West

Sun Belt

WAC

The first obvious flaw being that the Independants aren't a conference, but for the sake of argument, let's just assume they are and that they have another six or seven teams.

Just pair each first tier conference with a matching second tier conference, regionally. For instance, I'm a Big-10 guy, the Mid-American conference is a perfect partner. At the end of the season, the worst team in the Big-10 (possibly Indiana) would get dropped to the Mid-American conference for the next season, and the Mid-American champ (Northern Illinois last year) would get bumped up to the Big-10. If they can survive and not finish in last, they get to stay up there while someone else gets relegated the next season. On the flip side, Indiana (or whoever) can earn their way back into the Big 10 by winning the Mid-American the next season, or they can flounder down there.

To me, this seems like a great idea.

1. Promotion and relegation would be based off regular season records and tiebreakers, bowls wouldn't count, so they'd stay in their present form, preserving the tradition.

2. There wouldn't be as much of an uproar over the deck being stacked against teams like Boise or TCU. Boise would get promoted to the Pac-10 for instance, and TCU to the Big-12 (let's pretend they didn't already join the Big East) and they could prove that they can run the table in a larger conference. This is a fair way to ensure that no one is truly shut out, you just have to win your way there, and then keep yourself there.

3. I'm sure people would complain about rivalry games, but let's be honest, the chances of losing a major rivalry game are pretty slim, it's obvious which teams are often the dregs of the bigger leagues *cough* Vanderbilt *cough* and which aren't. And if you manage to get relegated, use the rivalry game as one of your OOC games, or put up with not having it and earn your way back up to the major conference.

I admit, I suppose scheduling could be an issue, but I'm not sure games need to be scheduled four years in advance the way they are now. Season ticket holders know they're going to get a certain amount of home games each season, I don't know, I don't see that as much of an argument.

Anyway, just a thought, we could even make it a multi-tiered system and have D-1A levels, D-2, etc. It would be interesting to see how far Duke football would fall (I'm guessing D-1AA) before they could steady themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh...whoops Oregon:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=cr-oregon030311

Documents: Oregon Paid Pair With Ties To Recruits

The University of Oregon paid more than $28,000 to two men with ties to multiple recruits who signed letters of intent with the school, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

According to State of Oregon expenditure records, the university paid $25,000 to Will Lyles of Complete Scouting Services in Houston, and $3,745 to Baron Flenory of New Level Athletics. Lyles is a former athletic trainer who recently was serving as a mentor to highly touted Ducks running back recruit Lache Seastrunk. Meanwhile, Flenory runs the Badger Sports Elite 7-on-7 football camps which have featured several celebrated Ducks signees including running back DeAnthony Thomas, defensive back Cliff Harris, defensive back Dior Mathis and wideout Tacoi Sumler. Flenory had a personal training relationship with recent Ducks signee Anthony Wallace.

If Lyles and Flenory aided in or were involved in any way in the recruitment of student athletes to Oregon, they would be classified as boosters by the NCAA, and any payment to them from the school would be considered a violation of Bylaw 13. Bylaw 13 prohibits boosters from directing a recruit to a school.

A message left on the cell phone of Oregon coach Chip Kelly was not immediately returned, and there was no answer on a number listed for Lyles. Flenory said the payment to him was for a recruiting service that his company set up for Oregon. The package included names, birthdates and other info on potential recruits. Flenory said the package to Oregon was the only one ever sold by his company because “we stopped doing it because the NCAA said recruiting services could no longer do camps on college campuses. Because we were running camps, we decided that was a better business for us than to sell the recruiting packages.”

Flenory said he didn’t have an invoice readily available for the service, but that his company approached the school and offered the package. He said the school instructed him how he could be paid for the recruiting package. Flenory said he played no part in players either visiting or signing with the University of Oregon, and didn’t understand why the NCAA would have a problem with him.

“We stopped doing it when the NCAA made the rule,” Flenory said.

The payouts all took place within the last fiscal year and appeared in the annual college budget expenditures for the university. According to records, the monies were paid under the account for “Books, Publications and other References.” The $25,000 check was made out to “Willie J. Lyles/dba [doing business as] Complete Scouting”. The check to Flenory was made payable to his company, New Level Athletics.

• 2 months later...
Spartacus gets his wish for a thread.

I guess.

It's really just a bump from SHF's NSD thread. Plus it's been bumped with discussion about the Big East's possible TV deal of all things. :shot:

(just kidding to the 2 or 3 WVU fans who make up the Big East contingent around here...sort of.)

Although I did like this line from the article:

From the Pac-10 came Larry Scott, the swashbuckling former Harvard tennis player

How often are those words put together?

As for the Big East and possible expansion, I don't really know an awful lot about that. I know they've been talking about adding some mix of UCF, Houston, ECU and Villanova. None of those teams are particularly impressive (although Villanova brings a pretty good TV market), but adding UCF to a BCS conference creates an interesting dynamic in the state of Florida.

Put UCF in a BCS conference, and I don't think it's at all out of reason that by 2020, UCF is a bigger draw and has more of an impact on college football in Florida than Miami.

The ACC is really weak at QB. EJ Manuel has no business being first team. That doesn't mean I don't think he's good, because I think he's going to end up being a great player. It looks like he got #1 by default.

The ACC was very senior heavy with QBs last year.

These guys have talent, but are still unproven

The ACC is really weak at QB. EJ Manuel has no business being first team. That doesn't mean I don't think he's good, because I think he's going to end up being a great player. It looks like he got #1 by default.

So who would you suggest as the better choice for Preseason 1st team QB?

So who would you suggest as the better choice for Preseason 1st team QB?

I said he was #1 by default...that means he is the best. My point was that the ACC was so weak at quarterback that a guy that is just now taking the starting job full time is #1.

Actually, Danny O'Brien could make a case for #1, though it's still a mark on how bad the ACC is at QB.

The ACC was very senior heavy with QBs last year.

These guys have talent, but are still unproven

I think Renfree should be ranked ahead of Logan Thomas. At least he has proven something.

I said he was #1 by default...that means he is the best. My point was that the ACC was so weak at quarterback that a guy that is just now taking the starting job full time is #1.

Actually, Danny O'Brien could make a case for #1, though it's still a mark on how bad the ACC is at QB.

I think Renfree should be ranked ahead of Logan Thomas. At least he has proven something.

You also said that Manuel "has no business being first team," as if someone else should be, so your statement was somewhat confusing.

Manuel's just now taking over as the full time starter, but he's already started a handful of games, and he's been a Gator Bowl MVP, played for most of the Chick Fil A Bowl last year (while leading the final game winning drive by going 7 for 7 with a TD), and now he's the only starting QB in the conference with ACC Championship game experience. And he was a high 4 star/5 star recruit and the #2 dual-threat QB behind Pryor, and even that came with some debate at the time...so the guy's pretty talented. Just in raw talent, being a red-shirt JR, and with the game experience he's had, there's probably a strong case for Manuel being the most well prepared new QB on any BCS team in 2011.

On top of that (and maybe more importantly when considering projected success of ACC QBs this year), FSU is the only team this year in the ACC to have 100% of its receiving yards from 2010 returning.

VT is second, with 91% of its receiving yards coming back from last year.

That makes a huge difference for just about any team, especially when they're transitioning to a new QB (which is one reason why Logan Thomas has a really good shot to do pretty well this year, besides his own red shirt time and his substantial physical talents).

O'Brien's problem is two-fold:

1) Only 36% of Maryland's receiving yards are returning from last year, the lowest in the ACC by a fair margin.

2) Gary Crowton is now his OC.

So while O'Brien is really talented and a smart QB, he's got a new offense, a terrible OC running the show, and he lost the large majority of his receiving targets from last year.

Renner is actually a pretty good dark horse, since UNC has a lot of talent to work with this year on offense.

I think Manuel is the "safe" and arguably "easy" choice as the #1 QB for right now, with maybe Logan Thomas at #2 and Renner and O'Brien competing for the #3 spot.

---------- Post added June-1st-2011 at 05:51 AM ----------

Also of some mildly interesting note in this dead time, the first gambling odds for the ACC have just been released.

For the Atlantic side:

ACC Atlantic Division Champ

Florida St. Seminoles -300

Maryland Terrapins +300

Clemson Tigers +500

Boston College Eagles +800

N.C. State Wolfpack +1000

Wake Forest Demon Deacons +3000

For the Coastal side:

ACC Coastal Division Champ

Virginia Tech Hokies +100

Miami Hurricanes +150

North Carolina Tar Heels +175

Virginia Cavaliers +800

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets +1200

Duke Blue Devils +3000

For the ACC Championship

ACC Champion

Florida State +150

Virginia Tech +200

Miami +350

North Carolina +500

Maryland +1000

Clemson +1200

Boston College +2000

Virginia +2000

Georgia Tech +2500

North Carolina State +5000

Duke +10000

Wake Forest +10000

I'm not a gambler myself, but if I were, then based on these early odds, I'd consider the Clemson and N.C. State odds in the Atlantic and UNC in the Coastal as the best values. I wouldn't touch Maryland in the Atlantic or Miami in the Coastal.

Oh and the one QB to watch right now for the ACC that hasn't been getting the publicity is Mike Glennon at NC State. He was a great HS QB at Westfield and has a ton of talent, enough that he's now the starter and Russell Wilson is leaving NC State. If he can put up a huge year he will shoot up draft boards, but he'll stay for another year or two IMO

Oh and the one QB to watch right now for the ACC that hasn't been getting the publicity is Mike Glennon at NC State. He was a great HS QB at Westfield and has a ton of talent, enough that he's now the starter and Russell Wilson is leaving NC State. If he can put up a huge year he will shoot up draft boards, but he'll stay for another year or two IMO

I completely forgot about Mike Glennon. I remember Chantilly whooping his and Westfield's ass in the region title game in 2006. Since then, I haven't heard much about him.

I honestly think that he is a little overrated at this point. He is talented, no doubt. But there is a lot of difference from Westfield to the ACC. I am not saying he can't be a good QB, but I am assuming just because he is tall and white and coached by Tom O'Brien, N.C. State fans are already comparing him to Matt Ryan. I think its a little too soon for that.

This isn't really a knock on Glennon, because he is talented, for sure.

But it's not like his mere presence or the promise of his talents finally getting let loose are what pressured Wilson to leave. Tom O'Brien just got really sick of Wilson leaving to play baseball every Spring and Summer, and not being there to fully commit to learning the playbook and offense as the team's starting QB, and he basically told Wilson he couldn't be the starter anymore.

Also, going back to my point earlier about losing receiving yards from the year before- NC State is in the second worst position for that in the ACC, with only 44% of last year's receiving yards coming back. So Glennon will have it a bit tougher this season.

I'm just glad nobody is trying to hype up Jacory Harris anymore.

Archived