Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

I'm sorry I don't know everything there is to know about FSU like you. Its kinda like I adventured in no man's land when I decided to bad mouth FSU football around because this seems to be your thing. Obviously you don't like half the things I say on this board, but you only decide to speak up when I decide to talk about FSU football. I used to own you as well....I remember you being the guy to hype up Ponder just like how you are hyping up this EJ guy. I now see why you are getting mad because you have been waiting a long time for these next 2 years of FSU football and i'm sitting here bad mouthing them and talking wreckless. Who am I??? The guy that says random things about random sport stuff. well look...

1.already addressed it...you are speaking up now because I wondered into your backyard which is FSU football

2. Look I don't need footballoutsiders.com...I can look at the stats and the game to tell the story. Tyrod Taylor and VA Tech had something close to a cupcake schedule for a team that was supposed to be competing for a BCS Championship spot. Their marquee OOC game was at home against a WAC team, struggled against a weak GA Tech team, played a UNC team without their main starters, and played Miami and VA Tech without their starting QBs. Which is sad when I say Tyrod Taylor only had monster (and in your terms) Heisman-like games against NC State, Central Michigan, Wake Forest, Duke, and of course a depleted, weak, not talented enough FSU team. What i'm trying to say is his best games was against horrible teams meaning he wasn't that good to begin with. Stanford, a elite team, crushed him and VA Tech which is what elite teams do to teams like VA Tech MEANING FSU was not elite and will not be elite this up coming year.

3. Is that what you got in EJ??? A borderline 4 star/5 star guy. The way you guys are hyping him up I thought he was a top 5 recruit. Why am I not surprised...you did the samething for Ponder and all he did was choke at the end of games. What makes this guy any different...

4. I agree, but Maryland was able to run with FSU last year so maybe a different game plan can change a thing or two.

5. I mention Miami, because that is still a game that will go towards your ACC record so while you don't have to worry about them division wise you still have to worry about them ACC wise.

6. 2 things caught my eye here...first the whole waiting since 2007 for these next two years is complete BS. You was on here talking Ponder being a top 5 NFL draft pick so I know you thought FSU could do big things last year with supposedly a top 5 draft pick. You thought that last year and now that hope is transfering over to this year after getting demolished by a real elite team which leads to what you said about 2012. BCS championships contenders??? Please don't make me laugh...the ACC is too balanced for a team to run the table right now and in 2012. Yes you scheduled a couple cupcakes in 2012 (outside of Florida), but please believe there is going to be another ACC school improving just as much as FSU in 2012 and Florida with Weis and the Texas is not going to lay down nor have you shown the ability to consistently defeat them. All i'm trying to say is you should lower your expectations and I am going on record when I say FSU will NOT win the ACC this year nor will they win it in 2012. No BCS bowl games for FSU...sorry

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-06-15-athletic-departments-increase-money_n.htm

Only 22 of 120 college football programs earn a profit. Texas both makes and spends more than anyone.

I read that as Athletic programs (including football).

I would suspect a lot of colleges make a profit on football alone. It has to be the other non-revenue generating sports that put them in the red.

The fall out continues at OSU. Their 5 star OL Kyle Kalis has de-commit from the offer OSU gave him. If he lands in Michigan for 2012, the OL will be nice.

That guy is HS teammates with the 4 star OL that just committed to WVU. What the hell is that town feeding its children?

UNC got their notice of allegations back from the NCAA a few days ago, I'm surprised nobody said anything about it.

Sounds like they'll have to vacate a 2 or 3 seasons, but the rest of their punishment seems up in the air right now until they have their hearings in October.

UNC has no lack of institutional control?

Anyway, seems like Oregon might be in trouble...

Can someone PLEASE beat the SEC this year? I don't care who it is; I'm just sick of them winning the title every year.

Just saw earlier this morning that WVU to play JMU at FedEx Field in 2012. Huge get for JMU to be on a neutral field

Other than for recruiting purposes, I don't see what's in this move for WVU.

A home game (as it was originally scheduled) brings in millions of revenues for the city/university.

Odd move.

http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-5953.php

I have no idea why we will play Alabama in Atlanta again :doh:

The 2013 schedule is already tough enough, with a road game at FSU, Miami and UNC in house, road game against GT, and now basically a road game in Atlanta

In theory we should have a good team, with a 3 year starting QB in Logan Thomas. But I see no purpose in this game

Football Notes: Maryland in Baltimore and Alabama in Atlanta

by Will Stewart, TechSideline.com

General Manager and Associate Editor

Jun 28, 2011

In case you missed it, there have been a couple of news items in the few days concerning future Virginia Tech football games. The Hokies will play the 2014 Maryland game at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, and Virginia Tech is close to officially signing up to play Alabama in Atlanta to start the 2013 season.

The Maryland athletic department and the Baltimore Ravens announced last week that Maryland's 2014 game vs. the Hokies, which was a Terrapin home game, will be moved to the Baltimore Ravens' M&T Bank Stadium. The date will be announced later, when the ACC makes up the 2014 football schedules.

M&T Bank Stadium has a capacity of just over 71,000, versus 54,000 at Byrd Stadium, their on-campus venue. According to a follow-up Washington Post article, the Terrapins will net $3.5 million from the game, versus "around $1.5 million" for a true home game in Byrd.

The Hokies will apparently not receive a financial windfall from playing the game in Baltimore (no benefit to VT has been reported), but Virginia Tech fans located in Northern Virginia and elsewhere will receive windfalls of a different nature: ticket availability and quality of game experience.

Maryland averaged just 39,168 fans at Byrd Stadium this past season. It's possible that a new coaching regime under Randy Edsall and some success in the next couple of seasons could boost Maryland ticket sales and attendance, but in any case, Virginia Tech fans can count on having easier access to more tickets for the game at M&T Bank Stadium, creating something closer to a neutral site atmosphere than a game at Byrd Stadium.

The game experience promises to be better for VT fans as well, who have often voiced trepidation about the behavior of Maryland fans in College Park and Byrd Stadium. (I personally attended the 2005 Maryland-VT game at Byrd, when in my opinion VT hate was at its height in the ACC, thanks to the presence of Marcus Vick as VT's starting quarterback, and I experienced zero problems.)

Expect Hokie fans to turn out in force for the 2014 game. Games at FedExField in 2004 (USC) and 2010 (Boise State) have been very well attended by Hokie fans.

In other news, multiple outlets are reporting that the Hokies are very close to signing a deal to meet Alabama in another Chick-fil-A Kickoff season opener in Atlanta, this time for the 2013 season. The matchup has not been finalized, but the Hokies have agreed to it in principal, and the game is apparently well on its way to becoming official.

Kyle Tucker first reported on the matchup a few days ago, and David Teel blogged today about schedule changes that would be necessary to accommodate the game. Teel reports that Tech's 2012 and 2013 games against East Carolina will be moved to 2016 and 2017.

TechSideline.com's Future Football Schedules page will be updated with both games (the 2014 Maryland game and the 2013 Alabama game) when the CFA Kickoff is finalized.

I honestly no longer see the point in any big time OOC matchups.

Play the conference schedule, 2 super patsies at home, and 2 decent mid level teams.

And there's a(nother) problem w/ the BCS. It rewards records instead of SOS.

EDIT: Damn, I just inadvertently criticized Boise there I think :ols:

Archived