Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

I wouldn't be shocked if Bud wants a shot somewhere else to get some experience, but I sincerely doubt he'd turn down an opportunity to take over at Tech when Beamer retires.

He'd be crazy to. It's just my opinion, but I don't know how great of a head coach he will be. I think he is almost a perfect D Coordinator and in a perfect world for VT, he could make a ton of money doing that forever. But I know that he (rightfully so) wants to test himself as a HC; I just do not know whether he has the personality for it, especially at a high level.

I had not heard anything about Pitt, but I have heard random things about him having interest in some non-BCS jobs through the years.

A Pitt booster who was privy to the hiring process once they canned Wannstedt. Frankly, I'm not sold on Foster as a HC. He seems like the Russ Grimm of college coaches.

Well, I know plenty of people who know the inns and outs of Tech football who'd disagree with you.

Bud has interviewed all over the place, and I'm sure he's been interested in going to coach somewhere else to get some experience but I don't think Pitt was one of them.

I don't see how anyone BUT Bud gets the next HC job at Tech. Shane Beamer could be next in line after that but its way too early to tell.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 04:06 PM ----------

He'd be crazy to. It's just my opinion, but I don't know how great of a head coach he will be. I think he is almost a perfect D Coordinator and in a perfect world for VT, he could make a ton of money doing that forever. But I know that he (rightfully so) wants to test himself as a HC; I just do not know whether he has the personality for it, especially at a high level.

I had not heard anything about Pitt, but I have heard random things about him having interest in some non-BCS jobs through the years.

I mean he's interviewed plenty of places.

Clemson, Pitt, Vandy and he's been rumored at plenty of places but I doubt he leaves.

Now, he could be one of those guys that just isn't "Head Coach material" but I think he deserves a shot.

There were plenty of reports in January that Foster was talking to Pitt. But they probably did better hiring an offensive guy in Todd Graham.

For a supposed defensive guru, Foster's defenses look anything but special at times (2011 Orange Bowl comes to mind).

He interviewed, but I don't know how interested he was.

Foster's resume speaks for itself.

The Orange Bowl was a debacle, no question but last year's defense was plagued with injuries and was very young in way too many important positions.

Not to mention that we were playing one of the best teams in the country, with one of the best coaches and a QB that will likely be a super-star in the NFL.

Yep, just like Russ Grimm's resume speaks for itself. And neither he nor Foster can get a head coaching job to save their lives it would seem. Virginia Tech is at a level where they should be able to do much better than hire a career assistant to take over.

The thing is, no one knows how well he's going to do as a coach.

What Grimm has done in the NFL isn't as impressive as what Foster has done at the college level in terms of coaching.

Foster could be a fantastic head coach in the future, maybe he just doesn't interview well, no one really knows.

I know for a fact he was interested in the Pitt job this past offseason.

He was interested in the WVU job when it was open in 2007 (according to his agent), and I remember posting on ES that he was my choice.

http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/tech%2526%2523039%3Bs-foster-gets-salary-bump,-still-has-eyes-wvu-job

"That's one of the best jobs in the country, in a conference and at a school (Foster) is very familiar with," Lattinville said. "He'd love an opportunity like this."

Why do people say he wouldnt make a great head coach? Bud Foster is the main reason VT has dominated the ACC. :whoknows:

Why do people say he wouldnt make a great head coach? Bud Foster is the main reason VT has dominated the ACC. :whoknows:

There are some people that are of the opinion that there's a really big difference between a good coordinator and good head coach.

Really, no one knows.

Why he hasn't been hired for other coaching jobs (besides the fact that he'd never have gotten across the state border if he'd taken the WVU job :ols: ) is strange to me but who knows. I'm sure some of his previous interest was to work some leverage with Jim Weaver to get himself a pay raise, but I'm sure there has also been some interest in other positions at some point.

I'm not complaining about him being unable to find work anywhere else. I hope he stays as long as he can. Good guy

Oh trust me, I'm not complaining.

My dream scenario is Beamer winning a MNC, becoming AD, Foster taking over, Shane becoming OC and then taking over for Bud when he retires.

And I'll win the lottery.

And Lizzy Caplan will marry me.

Something like that.

Yeah I'm just saying I don't mind that he's not being hired by someone else, he's still here and he's still leading great defenses

VT would be awkward without Bud's pail

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 05:04 PM ----------

Comical relief

Coaches and administrators have forgotten how to cheat. These things used to be taken care of with a few hundreds rolled into a handshake and a job for mom at the tractor factory down the road from the school. Now, it's amateur hour.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/07/05/cheating-for-dummies/index.html#ixzz1RGcW1uhN

Miami at least fits in geographically and doesn't cause as bad of a headache for traveling.

BC just doesn't make sense, though academically I can't really complain. Unless they find another Matt Ryan, they're not going to be competitive anytime soon.

So many programs in the ACC aren't doing their part though. Wake and NC State are the bottom of the barrel and we'll see if Randy Edsall can can bring the Terps away from irrelevance in football. Then you have consistently overrated Clemson that brings in great recruiting classes and can't do a damn thing with it. Duke survives only because of basketball, similar to how UNC used to but we'll see what happens to UNC's football program when they get slammed by the NCAA. UVA isn't exactly scaring anyone in football, I'm not sure London is going to be the miracle worker that Cavs fans want him to be.

Miami could turn around (and as obnoxious as everything Miami related is, its good for the ACC when they're competitive), and Clemson has the recruiting so if they were to find a coach they may be a contender but Georgia Tech, FSU and Virginia Tech are the future of ACC football.

BC should never be seriously competitive in the ACC again, period.

They were able to enjoy some recent success because FSU and Clemson have both had major coaching issues in recent years.

The ACC divisions were basically built for the ACC championship to be some combination of FSU, Miami, and VT in the mix, with Clemson a little on the outside of that. FSU and Miami spent most of the last decade committed to sucking though, so that's how the ACC ended up with "power" programs like BC, Wake Forest, and GT.

I don't see Edsall doing anything significant at Maryland. It's not a football school, and the talent just isn't there in high enough volume to build a genuinely elite program. The only possible way Maryland turns into some kind of football powerhouse is maybe if Plank gets Under Armour deeply involved with massive facilities and resource upgrades and Maryland finds a way to completely build a fence around all of the Maryland/DC/VA talent. But that would also rely on programs like VT, WVU, and probably a mix of some other Big 10 and Big East programs like Pitt and Penn State either falling off or neglecting recruiting in those regions.

If I were a Maryland fan, I'd be perfectly happy with a football season like the one they had last year. I think that's about their peak. Basketball is their national title sport.

I think Clemson has the potential to be extremely good. They still haven't rid themselves of the Bowden era, but they take football fairly seriously already, they just upgraded their OC, and they can recruit like crazy (even if some of it is pretty dirty $$$ recruiting like some people believe). If Dabo ends up fired, or is willing to just step aside and help run the recruiting as a strictly CEO type of HC, Clemson could get scary good really quickly. I take them a lot more seriously than I take GT.

Rivals shows that USC has 9 verbals for 2012.

7 of them are 4star commits.

Yeah. They are suffering.

:doh:

USC just lost Jordan Payton, one of those 4 star recruits listed for 2012.

And his reason for leaving is their extremely limited amount of yearly scholarships that they have for the next 3 years due to their sanctions.

It's great to still make the most of your small scholarship amount available with really talented guys, but at the end of the day, you're still going to get hurt when you're consistently bringing in small recruiting classes. That lack of depth will add up.

I know for a fact he was interested in the Pitt job this past offseason.

Really, and who was your source?

Yep, just like Russ Grimm's resume speaks for itself. And neither he nor Foster can get a head coaching job to save their lives it would seem. Virginia Tech is at a level where they should be able to do much better than hire a career assistant to take over.

It's random, but I remember hearing the same story about Foster interviewing for the Pitt job.

I've also heard that he's a terrible interview, for whatever reason.

---------- Post added July-6th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

I wouldn't go that far.

I have a ton of respect for VT as a program, but their success hasn't occurred in a vacuum either. It's helped VT that outside of themselves, the ACC hasn't had a consistently competitive program in years.

As for Foster, his defenses today aren't what they were 3 or 4 years ago. And last year, it was VT's offense that really led them to the ACC title.

I think he's still a great college DC, but I don't think that he's quite the big name that he used to be.

Bama-Virginia Tech on for 2013 season opener in ATL. Like the fact that both schools are willing to schedule one non-conference blockbuster.

http://twitter.com/espn4d/statuses/88968203233001473

---------- Post added July-7th-2011 at 09:54 AM ----------

Also, you can kiss cupcake scheduling goodbye (unless it's UF)

http://twitter.com/espn4d/statuses/88969060200624128

They're not coming back RT @penzorattheitem @espn4d And next week they'll play teams like NWSE Louisiana? I miss the 80s/90s cfb schedules

BC should never be seriously competitive in the ACC again, period.

They were able to enjoy some recent success because FSU and Clemson have both had major coaching issues in recent years.

The ACC divisions were basically built for the ACC championship to be some combination of FSU, Miami, and VT in the mix, with Clemson a little on the outside of that. FSU and Miami spent most of the last decade committed to sucking though, so that's how the ACC ended up with "power" programs like BC, Wake Forest, and GT.

And that is not good for the ACC??? Yes we didn't have a BCS championship caliber team for a couple years, but the parity was great...parity is always great. Expecting FSU, Miami, and VT to win every year is boring. The ACC has been great the last couple of years with VT being the only consistently great team being the downfall.

And that is not good for the ACC??? Yes we didn't have a BCS championship caliber team for a couple years, but the parity was great...parity is always great. Expecting FSU, Miami, and VT to win every year is boring. The ACC has been great the last couple of years with VT being the only consistently great team being the downfall.

The ACC has been tough to watch the past few seasons with only VT being consistent. That's the concensus. This is not what John Swofford banked on when the ACC expanded.

Expansion was one of the worst things to happen to the ACC college basketball-wise and it was a dud football-wise

VT just dominates all with the occasional off year

GT and WF try to win the conference but can't even win their BCS bowl

Smh

Expansion was one of the worst things to happen to the ACC college basketball-wise and it was a dud football-wise

VT just dominates all with the occasional off year

GT and WF try to win the conference but can't even win their BCS bowl

Smh

Oh what is ACC BCS bowl record again??? Florida State, Miami, and VT playing against the second best team in the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, or Big 12 is not going to change anything...

Oh what is ACC BCS bowl record again??? Florida State, Miami, and VT playing against the second best team in the SEC, Pac-10, Big 10, or Big 12 is not going to change anything...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/13/AR2010091303802.html

Remember all that talk this summer about how this was going to be the year when the fruits of the ill-fated football expansion finally began to pay dividends? Five ACC teams appeared in the preseason polls. What's more, the first two weeks of the season would present multiple opportunities to make some serious noise against highly ranked teams. So how have things worked out?

Virginia Tech's virtual home game against Boise State? Loss.

North Carolina against LSU in Atlanta? Loss.

Miami's visit to Ohio State? Loss.

Florida State's trip to Oklahoma? Loss.

Virginia at USC? Loss.

Five potential statement games. Five losses.

Of course, those were not the worst results of the first two weeks for the Already Can't Compete league. Defending champion Georgia Tech went to Kansas to play a team coming off a loss to division I-AA North Dakota State, a team booed by its own fans during that 6-3 loss.

http://twitter.com/slmandel/statuses/89134501690740736

Reporting from Manning Passing Academy, @mortreport says top 3 passers today were Landry Jones, Andrew Luck & ... Jordan Jefferson??!!

http://twitter.com/edsbs/statuses/89135332376846336

Jordan Jefferson getting rave reviews from pro scouts is cunning tactic to terrify players' union into a deal NOW.

Jordan Jefferson can pass?

Parity between mediocre teams is great?

When is that ever true?

ACC football, post-expansion, was built around FSU, Miami, and VT to win every year. Nobody in the country cares about Boston College, Wake Forest, or Georgia Tech except their own small alumni bases. That's why it's an (obvious) problem, and why the ACC hasn't been great.

It's a major question if VT can ever bring in the talent needed to compete at a BCS Championship level due to their location and possibly coaching, and FSU and Miami just spent the last decade sitting by while their programs broke down under terrible coaching and administrative problems.

If VT doesn't have the horses and FSU and Miami are both focused on screwing themselves over, the result is an ACC that can't represent itself well at all in major games outside of its own conference, particularly in BCS games.

FSU or Miami running on full strength as programs would create legitimate top 5 teams, and real BCS Championship contenders for the ACC.

Everyone saw this in the 80s and 90s, when those programs were each actually running at their full strength.

The only thing that's changed since then, is that both of those programs had severe misdirection issues following their last BCS Championship game victories, and other programs have taken their places in the meantime.

It sounds like I'm being a homer about it, but it's essentially College Football Economics 101, as applied to the ACC: the best shot the ACC currently has at winning a BCS Championship is through either the Hurricanes or the Seminoles building themselves back up.

VT could do it, but they don't have easy access to the necessary recruiting talent. Clemson could do it, but they've always had administrative and coaching issues that get in the way, and while they've pulled in some great recruiting classes recently, they've still had some struggles with battling South Carolina and other SEC programs for a lot of their targets.

Archived