Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Shane Beamer, son of Frank, recruiting coordinator at South Carolina has done a fantastic job since he took over that role

Time to bring him home Frank!

Eh, I have no doubt that Beamer can recruit pretty well, but having the SEC label helps.

Apparently Clowney's mom liked Clemson's coaches a lot more and he and his family felt like Clemson had more to offer, but he wanted to play in the SEC and that was the deciding factor.

Eh, I have no doubt that Beamer can recruit pretty well, but having the SEC label helps.

Apparently Clowney's mom liked Clemson's coaches a lot more and he and his family felt like Clemson had more to offer, but he wanted to play in the SEC and that was the deciding factor.

Does not surprise me at all.

Basically, Junior Beamer helps VT much more if he goes there then hurts SC if he leaves.

He has done a fantastic job as r-coordinator and his special teams haven't been bad (9 blocked kicks in the past 2 years) since he has been the ST coordinator there

Does not surprise me at all.

Basically, Junior Beamer helps VT much more if he goes there then hurts SC if he leaves.

He has done a fantastic job as r-coordinator and his special teams haven't been bad (9 blocked kicks in the past 2 years) since he has been the ST coordinator there

He has done a great job down there (although I believe that Ellis Johnson was the lead recruiter for Clowney), but as a Virginia fan, I would encourage him to stay in Columbia for a while.:D

And I wonder if Clowney still ends up at South Carolina this fall. I am not hearing great things about his academics. I know it is the SEC, but I have heard that is is possible that he may take the prep or JUCO route.

He has done a great job down there (although I believe that Ellis Johnson was the lead recruiter for Clowney), but as a Virginia fan, I would encourage him to stay in Columbia for a while.:D

And I wonder if Clowney still ends up at South Carolina this fall. I am not hearing great things about his academics. I know it is the SEC, but I have heard that is is possible that he may take the prep or JUCO route.

Now that would be interesting to see, because he could very well come to Fork Union in Virginia for Prep for a semester and then transfer in some where else. It'll be interesting although I think they'll find a way to get him into South Carolina

Now that would be interesting to see, because he could very well come to Fork Union in Virginia for Prep for a semester and then transfer in some where else. It'll be interesting although I think they'll find a way to get him into South Carolina

I agree; I would be surprised if they do not find a way to get him in. But there was actually an article about it in the New York Times on Friday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/sports/ncaafootball/12clowney.html?_r=1

The anticipation for Jadeveon Clowney, considered the nation’s top high school football player, to announce his college destination has kept coaches and fans across the country in suspense. It will end Monday when he makes his choice on ESPN.

But the buzz surrounding Clowney’s decision could be undercut by his poor academic record. Two people with knowledge of his classroom performance while attending South Pointe High School in Rock Hill, S.C., have raised questions about whether Clowney will be able meet the N.C.A.A.’s minimum academic standard if he wants to play next season.

Troy Davis, the coach at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., said he had reviewed Clowney’s transcript and described it as consistent with those of other prospects who had failed to meet the N.C.A.A.’s standards. In those cases, the prospects needed to enroll in postgraduate programs like the one at Hargrave. The standards are a formula using high school grades and standardized test scores.

Davis said he had met with Clowney last spring, when he visited one of Clowney’s teammates to pitch him on Hargrave. Davis’s program has taken in many top prospects while they worked to meet qualifying standards.

“A lot of D’s on there,” Davis said of Clowney’s transcript, adding that Clowney had performed particularly poorly in his earlier years at South Pointe. Speaking of students who had enrolled at Hargrave, Davis said “it was pretty common” for a nonqualifier to have a transcript like Clowney’s.

Yeah, that's been the talk for some time now.

I don't think a lot of people pay attention to it simply because of how big of a prospect he is. It's actually pretty hard to fudge a kid's record to be able to get him in if he's not really eligible, but for a prospect like Clowney, you pull out every favor and trick possible. I'd be surprised if he ends up going JUCO.

Yeah, that's been the talk for some time now.

I don't think a lot of people pay attention to it simply because of how big of a prospect he is. It's actually pretty hard to fudge a kid's record to be able to get him in if he's not really eligible, but for a prospect like Clowney, you pull out every favor and trick possible. I'd be surprised if he ends up going JUCO.

Yeah, its weird. Living about 15 miles north of Clowney's high school, the topic of his grades has popped up periodically for a while now, but it always goes back to "have you seen his stats?"

I know I am an dreamer here, but isn't the purpose of going to college to...you know...get an education? I know that ship sailed long ago with college athletics as a whole, but sometimes I wished that a lot of major college football and basketball teams maybe acted like they cared about academics.

Yeah, its weird. Living about 15 miles north of Clowney's high school, the topic of his grades has popped up periodically for a while now, but it always goes back to "have you seen his stats?"

I know I am an dreamer here, but isn't the purpose of going to college to...you know...get an education? I know that ship sailed long ago with college athletics as a whole, but sometimes I wished that a lot of major college football and basketball teams maybe acted like they cared about academics.

Well when a kid is as physically talented as Clowney, to the point where some NFL scouts and coaches have said that he could actually compete at an NFL training camp right now, it's a little different I guess.

Also, ACC schedules are hot off the presser:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/11accfbteamskeds.pdf

The Labor Day matchup this year is Miami at Maryland, since FSU told the ACC they wouldn't play a Labor Day Miami game anymore.

This also might be VT's easiest schedule in a really long time.

Well when a kid is as physically talented as Clowney, to the point where some NFL scouts and coaches have said that he could actually compete at an NFL training camp right now, it's a little different I guess.

Also, ACC schedules are hot off the presser:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/11accfbteamskeds.pdf

The Labor Day matchup this year is Miami at Maryland, since FSU told the ACC they wouldn't play a Labor Day Miami game anymore.

UNC better be careful playing JMU that 1st week with a team that will be without a lot of its stars from last year. JMU adds in Billy Cosh at QB who will do wonders for our offense moving forward

After playing LSU, Alabama, and Boise to start the season 3 of the last 4 years, I welcome this. Logan Thomas will have plenty of time to get warmed up for the ACC schedule with 4 preseason games really in September. Get past Clemson and Miami and this team should be 9-0 when they play GT in November

Also, per coach cav at his talk last week, ESPN and the ACC wanted to have VT-TCU on Monday night Labor day. When we refused that, they offered Miami-VT labor day night which we again refused.

After last year's debacle, it doesn't sound like we'll be playing on labor day night anytime soon :ols:

I do like playing GT on a Thursday night. Gives us a few extra days to prepare for the triple option

UNC better be careful playing JMU that 1st week with a team that will be without a lot of its stars from last year. JMU adds in Billy Cosh at QB who will do wonders for our offense moving forward

UVA also better be careful of W&M as well. It was only 2 short years ago that W&M went up to Charlottesville and upset UVA. I don't think this happens with London as the HC, but no CAA team should be taken lightly by a FBS team.

UVA also better be careful of W&M as well. It was only 2 short years ago that W&M went up to Charlottesville and upset UVA. I don't think this happens with London as the HC, but no CAA team should be taken lightly by a FBS team.

That was a fine day for the Virginia program. I can't imagine that happens again, but who knows.

I'm feeling very optimistic about the 2011 Pirates squad. We had a better-than-expected 2010, but we had some glaring short comings in our defense. Of the 24 we signed on, 15 are defensive players. I thought we were a well coached team last year, but we just lacked the weapons to really compete. I'm not expecting another conference championship, but I do think we'll at least have a better showing in the post season than last year.

And we were talking about South Carolina and Clowney's recruitment today

http://southcarolina.rivals.com/

Game****Central.com: "GC has learned recruiting coordinator and ST coach Shane Beamer is leaving to take a job on the VT coaching staff."

Fudge.

Rumor on twitter is he will be replacing Coach Hite and coaching the RBs

Yeah, I heard Hite was leaving a little while back, and I assumed Shane would be replacing him. But I hoped it would not happen. :)

Archived