Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I am Bruce Allen.... Deangelo Williams is a priority in free agency

Drunken Master III

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/565109-nfl-free-agency-2011-the-top-10-landing-spots-for-deangelo-williams#page/9

The Redskins need help wherever they can get it, but with Clinton Portis getting up there in age and constantly being sidelined with injuries, Mike Shanahan has to address his backfield.

Shanahan is known as a run-first coach, which makes one believe that Williams would be an ideal fit in the Redskins offensive system. He would have a chance to rejuvenate his career in Washington and get back to the DeAngelo Williams that NFL fans came to know and love three years ago.

I think Williams would be the perfect back for a few seasons. He is still one of the top backs in football. He still has plenty left in the tank. He is the perfect back for the Shanahan's zone blocking system.

I'll be real surprised if the Panthers don't re-sign him being he IS their offense; and as good as he is, I'd personally rather not eat into the cap room we've quietly created with a mega contract for a guy who'd be 28 when next year starts. I'll pass on a guy we'd only get a few good real good years out of when we are still a LONG way from even thinking about contending.

I'd like us to purge ourselves of high priced vets., not add them.

Hail.

I'll be real surprised if the Panthers don't re-sign him being he IS their offense; and as good as he is, I'd personally rather not eat into the cap room we've quietly created with a mega contract for a guy who'd be 28 when next year starts. I'll pass on a guy we'd only get a few good real good years out of when we are still a LONG way from even thinking about contending.

I'd like us to purge ourselves of high priced vets., not add them.

Hail.

I'll be real surprised if the Panthers do re-sign him. He's good, but the Panthers have shown that they have two other capable backs in Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson, and the Panthers are going to have to decide between Stewart and Williams and I think they'll pick Stewart because he's younger and a goal line back.

I would love to see him be the Skins main back, but I don't see it happening because he's going to want a decent sized contract and neither Shanahan or Allen are going to pay a RB a lot of money to come here, especially when Mike would rather find a late round draft pick or UDFA and make him a 1,000 yard rusher. I just can't imagine the Skins giving a 28-year old RB a decent to big contract when they have too many other holes to fill via FA.

This move would also save us a draft pick this year. Torrain alone is not the answer. He could be a part of a great 1-2 punch though if we add Williams.

What makes you think we are going to spend a pick on a RB? What makes you think that signing him would preclude drafting a RB? On the first statement, we have a lot of guys on this team who could potentially give the "2", including Portis. On the second, you draft the best players who fit this team. If the best player at the time is a RB, you draft him.

Im just glad the OP "isn't" Bruce Allen.

Unless their name is Peterson, MJD, or Chris Johnson there isn't an RB worth paying 2nd or 3rd contract money to in the league. Time and time again it has been proven that young, cheap RBs can be acquired without overspending on FA veterans.

Let's not get it twisted...Deangelo Williams WAS one of the best backs in football. But as well all know, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" type of league. There are about 8-10 RB's who are better than him.

Off the top of my head:

Peterson, Turner, McCoy, Foster, Charles, MJD, Jackson, Rice, Johnson, etc.....

Who knows if he'll ever regain his form....he'll be 28 to open the season and like I said before, he's at the point in his career when a RB's skills start to decline.

Youth movement.

Considering everyone thought we would get the MS run scheme offense he had in Denver, but instead got the KS passing offense from Houston I don't see a need. The 3 backs we have now plus the supposedly awesome RB on the PS are or should be good enough. Maybe figuring out how to beef up the OL in order to open holes for whoever is at RB should be the major concern then decide if the RB's are crap or not and need DeAngelo.

Not sure why you think it is a good idea for this when we have a coach who has gotten production out of running backs with a lesser petigree. We have higher priorities on this team.

While coach has got production out of lesser backs, he has won superbowls with exceptional ones.

My guess is that finding an explosive RB is a lot higher on the list of shanny priorities then many on this board will guess.

People forget that Trent Williams was not primarily a pass protect LT pick. He was a mean athletic Zone Blocking LT pick. Lichtensteiger was a inserted for running too, IMO

We are building towards an exceptional running line with talented RB's being a must for it to be dominant.

I really like the Williams FA pickup, In Shanny's scheme, we need to be able to run the ball effectively and explosively for any of the other parts of our offense to work well. Having a talented back that can take it to the house is a key part of our offense being able to do anything well.

Something tells me next year we will be doing a lot more of what elder shanny did in denver and less of Kyle's drop back passing attack.

We will see... Yay offseason!

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 10:50 AM ----------

Archived