Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If I am Bruce Allen.... Deangelo Williams is a priority in free agency

Drunken Master III

this would have trouble written all over it. Williams has been a good NFL back and had some good seasons, but as people have pointed out

a) he is getting to the point where RBs hit the wall

B) it is quite simply not mike shanahan's style to go out and make a big name RB a priority

as i have said in other posts, welcome to the era of the anonymous backfield.

Thank god your not Bruce Allen because one Deangelo Williams is as good as he use to be, two he will be 28 at the start and three he will want a lot of money and don't forgetmike Mike Shanahan is has a knack for finding great RBs threw the late round of the draft or finding an undrafted player

Us fans really need to stop falling in love with "named players".

All we should focus on is the contract based on value. Deangelo at 4 years 20M sounds great!!! Deangelo at 4 years 35M with 20M guarentueed doesn't.

No position outside of QB and LT should be offered a monster contract in free agency this year. We are not at a point where one player will make a big enough difference in the Win column.

I disagree with Williams getting anywhere close to the wall.

He has only played 5 years and only has 841 carries.

Portis by comparison has like 2200 carries. That is almost three times as many!

Wiliams has averaged 5 ypc in three of his five years and 4 yds per carry last year, in only a few games, and his first year.

Other then last year he had missed just six games total in the four previous years. He does have injury concerns but they are not significant, nor do the outweigh his impressive performances so far.

It seems to me that before that huge injury last year D williams was heading right into his prime years as a running back.

I think that this is exactly the type of explosive player we need on this team and the type of guy worth the money he will demand.

I disagree with Williams getting anywhere close to the wall.

He has only played 5 years and only has 841 carries.

Portis by comparison has like 2200 carries. That is almost three times as many!

Wiliams has averaged 5 ypc in three of his five years and 4 yds per carry last year, in only a few games, and his first year.

Other then last year he had missed just six games total in the four previous years. He does have injury concerns but they are not significant, nor do the outweigh his impressive performances so far.

It seems to me that before that huge injury last year D williams was heading right into his prime years as a running back.

I think that this is exactly the type of explosive player we need on this team and the type of guy worth the money he will demand.

Couldn't agree with you more. DeAngelo has very little wear and carries, and is one of the best backs in the league (and definitely the best FA that won't cost us draft picks we don't have) And his burst and top speed is far better than anything we have on the team right now. I'd be THRILLED if we landed D-Will this summer.

Are you referring to the Deangelo Williams who has only had one injury free season his entire career? The same Deangelo Williams who has missed 1/3 of his games as a pro due to injury? The same Deangelo Williams who couldn't beat out Stephen Davis to be the feature RB in Carolina? The same Deangelo Williams who, when finally given the chance to be the #1 guy, was so injury prone that it prompted Carolina to draft Jonathon Stewart? The same Deangelo Williams who's only rushed for more than 1,000 yard twice in his career?? The same Deangelo Williams who's only rushed for more 7 TD's once in his career??

Really? This is the guy you want to pay top RB money to (cause that's what he's going to want)?? That Deangelo Williams??

Scratch this idea. If you can get Portis at a discounted rate, he competes for the starting job with Torrain, if he loses, he becomes the reserve back. The presence of another capable back should reduce the poundage on Portis' frame. D. Williams is a fantasy football stud, but if you watch the games, it's the presence of J. Stewart that makes D. Williams' game more feared than him being the single, feature back.

Are you referring to the Deangelo Williams who has only had one injury free season his entire career? The same Deangelo Williams who has missed 1/3 of his games as a pro due to injury? The same Deangelo Williams who couldn't beat out Stephen Davis to be the feature RB in Carolina? The same Deangelo Williams who, when finally given the chance to be the #1 guy, was so injury prone that it prompted Carolina to draft Jonathon Stewart? The same Deangelo Williams who's only rushed for more than 1,000 yard twice in his career?? The same Deangelo Williams who's only rushed for more 7 TD's once in his career??

Really? This is the guy you want to pay top RB money to (cause that's what he's going to want)?? That Deangelo Williams??

Yes I am talking about the Deangelo williams who only missed six games in his first four years. He has only played 5. The same Williams who posted 5+ ypc in all three years following his rookie year.

The same Williams who was one of the leagues elite runners in 2008 and 2009 all while sharing a backfield with Stewart.

The same williams who has not even broken a thousand carries yet and is far from done.

Just for the record, Williams had Two injury free seasons 2007 - 2008

Check out his stats. Does this look like a player who is used up? This could be a chance to get an elite RB without trading picks OR using them. We have money to spend, he is a guy I would get.

http://www.nfl.com/players/deangelowilliams/profile?id=WIL221323

Couldn't agree with you more. DeAngelo has very little wear and carries, and is one of the best backs in the league (and definitely the best FA that won't cost us draft picks we don't have) And his burst and top speed is far better than anything we have on the team right now. I'd be THRILLED if we landed D-Will this summer.

Exactly. If this O-line can become the run blocking force it was designed for, having a back like Williams could make everything else run better. Definitely worth some big FA money.

We do have the money to spend folks, Plan o Allen getting some high priced guys... Hope Williams is on the radar, know he would be on mine.

OK GOD im gonna sound like an idiot for writing this but whatever.

When I play madden with Portis I cant win a game on all madden against good teams.

I traded him for D. Williams and all of asudden my offense works.

Portis is slow. Deangelo is fast. Its that simple.

We need to get Andrew Luck next year.

This year we go BPA in the draft... Lineman, Linebackers, Wide Receivers.

Grossman starts.

Sign Matt Hasslebeck as your vet backup.

Sign Deangelo Williams for our RB need.

OK GOD im gonna sound like an idiot for writing this but whatever.

When I play madden with Portis I cant win a game on all madden against good teams.

I traded him for D. Williams and all of asudden my offense works.

Portis is slow. Deangelo is fast. Its that simple.

Madden is garbage now. Especially 2011. All you need is a fast back to run to the outside...and those kick returns. I've ran back so many kick returns it's ridiculous. UNREALISTIC. Cant wait for 2k to make a football game. I won madden 2011 in a tournament and im selling it.

Yes I am talking about the Deangelo williams who only missed six games in his first four years. He has only played 5. The same Williams who posted 5+ ypc in all three years following his rookie year.

The same Williams who was one of the leagues elite runners in 2008 and 2009 all while sharing a backfield with Stewart.

The same williams who has not even broken a thousand carries yet and is far from done.

Just for the record, Williams had Two injury free seasons 2007 - 2008

If you're gung-ho to pay top dollar in free agency for an injury prone RB who will share carries based solely on the idea that he MIGHT be a stud, then that's fine. I've heard worse ideas, I guess.

Me...... I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Our free agent money needs to be spent elsewhere and not wasted on a part time RB who will be 30 in 2012, which happens to be the year when we can expect this team to reasonably compete for something. (PSSSST!! 2011 is still a rebuilding year!! Don't forget that!)

I'll be real surprised if the Panthers do re-sign him. He's good, but the Panthers have shown that they have two other capable backs in Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson, and the Panthers are going to have to decide between Stewart and Williams and I think they'll pick Stewart because he's younger and a goal line back.

I would love to see him be the Skins main back, but I don't see it happening because he's going to want a decent sized contract and neither Shanahan or Allen are going to pay a RB a lot of money to come here, especially when Mike would rather find a late round draft pick or UDFA and make him a 1,000 yard rusher. I just can't imagine the Skins giving a 28-year old RB a decent to big contract when they have too many other holes to fill via FA.

not to mention he is coming off an injury plagued season ... I'm not sure of his past injury history ... but no need to pay tip dollae for a RB in FA'cy when we need to get the OL straight and Shanny has shown he can find late round RB's.

A part of me still thinks CP could have a good year in this offense (with a reduced salary and role, eg. not our feature back). But I will admit that would be a pretty big gamble considering how much he has been injured the past couple years. I'm a CP fan, so I may be biased just a tad on that.

If you're gung-ho to pay top dollar in free agency for an injury prone RB who will share carries based solely on the idea that he MIGHT be a stud, then that's fine. I've heard worse ideas, I guess.

Me...... I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. Our free agent money needs to be spent elsewhere and not wasted on a part time RB who will be 30 in 2012, which happens to be the year when we can expect this team to reasonably compete for something. (PSSSST!! 2011 is still a rebuilding year!! Don't forget that!)

You are right about the injury concerns but wrong about the stud factor. He already IS a stud. He lead the whole league in 2008, and posted impressive numbers in 2009, splitting carries with stewart. I do not think a foot sprain costing him the majority of the season last year should do much to change the value of that production. But it is true you never know, injuries could strike again. I think the risks are acceptable, but who knows maybe management would agree with you.

Exactly. If this O-line can become the run blocking force it was designed for, having a back like Williams could make everything else run better. Definitely worth some big FA money.

We do have the money to spend folks, Plan o Allen getting some high priced guys... Hope Williams is on the radar, know he would be on mine.

the risk is higher than the reward. Just because we have money this year, doesn't mean we should go out and spend it on a RB (at least this off-season). And we wouldn't just sign him to a 1 year contract, so the fact that we have money this year doesn't mean that bringing a guy like him in with a big FA contract won't affect us in future years, because it will.

We need more foresight around here. We should spend whatever money we have on building up this defense and the OL 9and also think about saving a little in case we need to pick up another FA later in camp or during the season. What good will it do to pay DW a nice big contract, if we are still struggling with our OL rotation? I know I know ... we can address more than one position on this team at a time. I have faith that we will do that ... but RB should be very low on the priority list. Someone else will over-pay for him. This is the type of FA pick-up we make after another year in the system when we have finally established our core OL'man. Just my $.02. HAIL.

Not to mention, how do we know he has "fully" recovered? Sounds too risky to me.

Pass and here's why....feel free to argue any of these if you disagree.

Point 1 - D Williams is the biggest name for RB's in this FA class. Meaning he's going to cost a damn grip of cash to get. We can't blow our wad on a single player no matter the position and he is a top 10 FA this offseason. Anyone thinking he's coming cheap is fooling themselves.

Point 2 - He is 27 years old today, by the start of the season the man will be 28. 28 year old RB's who expect a lot of money is a bad investment

Point 3 - He's got injury concerns. This season the man started 6 games before being IR'd. This was the 3rd season out of his 5 years in the league he didn't play a full year. Injury plagued players who expect a lot of money is always a bad investment

Point 4 - He is too one dimensional. D Williams averages 25 catches a season, in today's NFL the RB's that you can use as a workhorse to catch and rush the ball are more valuable and 25 receptions a season says he'll frustrate us with him lack of receptions in the passing game.

Point 5 - What's a common bond between all of the best free agents this organization has ever added to the team and the worst? The best all were hungry players looking to prove something to the league and little known or used before they got here. The worst were coming in for a payday and broken down having used up most of what they had left on the previous team. Not saying he's going to flop or is just looking for a payday. I'm saying that he fits the mold of the "big" name that we always fall for that always seems to under produces for us. We need to find diamonds in the rough hungrier players with a desire for a payday who are going to produce instead of guys like this who produced for other teams. We can't continue to chase the yards a guy had on other teams, instead we need to look for lower risks higher rewards players. I'd rather take a chance and much smaller paycheck on an 25 year old Brandon Jackson (GB) who expects not to return to GB, or an under used RB like Kenneth Darby (STL) who isn't going to break the bank and still has plenty left in the tank because Steven Jackson got all the playing time then a guy like D Williams. If none of these guys works out for us then at least these latter two we aren't going to break the bank for.

I hope we pass on D Williams and look elsewhere

I think shannahan should try finding guys in the late rounds of the draft. You give Torrian more space, he may be view as a top back. In the first two rounds i think we look for Oline and Linebackers. I hope we can move back and pickup a pick or two but there is not much chance of that. We need to have stronge lines. Both of the lines have improve in one off season with shanny. You cant change a team with no picks and bad player contracts to a winning team in one year. We will trade Haynesworth for probley a third and with that pick get a NT. Bryant isn't bad and with a training camp as the starter he could be the solution there.

If we can't get him on a short contract (3 years or less) worth less than $4 million per, we need to pass. We can't hitch our wagon to a 28 year-old FA, no matter the amount of carries he's gotten in his career. Do you really want this guy around when he's 32? I'd rather sign Portis to a small 1-2 year deal, bring him in to compete for a spot in camp, and see if we can find another undrafted FA to bring in for a look. Shannahan has a stable of young, hungry RBs vying for a chance to do something big in this league. That's the attitude we need here in DC.

Archived