Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Orakpo gets second Pro Bowl nod

#98QBKiller

All in all, the Pro Bowl should end. The fact that Super Bowl players can't play in it is ridiculous. The fact that no one watches it is ridiculous. Unlike baseball or basketball where the all star game can be fun (run and gun, etc.) and take place during the season, football's is just a boring, straight-ahead game.

They'd be better off naming all-stars and not playing a game.

I apologize that this has nothing to do with Orakpo...it's very impressive that he's made in for 2 straight years.

yeah, it's two different topics of discussion: Orakpo's early success and the validity of the Pro Bowl. I don't think they should do away with the game, but I do think they should overhaul the entire shibang...not sure exactly how, though lol.

yeah, it's two different topics of discussion: Orakpo's early success and the validity of the Pro Bowl. I don't think they should do away with the game, but I do think they should overhaul the entire shibang...not sure exactly how, though lol.

The problem is they use these Pro-Bowl apparences for HOF credentials. Now you are going to have many more pro-bowlers every year than in years past. You are going to have so many players that have 5 or more pro bowls on their resume when they were the 5th or 6th best at their position.

Football is just unique in that you can't really play it half-speed or for fun. OL and DL have to collide on every play, you have to tackle, etc.

In baseball, it can become a hitting display. In basketball, you can just not play D and give the fans a show. I guess you can do something similar in football, but then you're hanging specific players out to dry since they don't play both ways...it just doesn't translate well to an all-star game in my opinion. I'd just rather they pick conference all-stars and all-pros and leave it at that.

Orakpo needs to learn how to use his hands and incorporate a spin move. His speed bullrush is usually ineffective and isn't getting holding calls.

Really agree with this. He is an excellent pass rusher right now just by using his strength and quickness. If he could incorporate better hand placement, more moves and counter moves he would be borderline unstoppable. Hopefully its something he works on this offseason. It just seems too easy to hold him and neutralize him that way (every OT gets away with holds sometimes); much of the time the difference between a guy who can get away from those holds or attempts at holds and a guy who can't is hand work and knowing counters to what the guy is trying.

Congrats to Orakpo, but this "Pro Bowl by default" thing is kind of a joke. It's supposed to be for the best players, not the best players who aren't injured or playing in their conference championship game.

So how many OLB should a Pro Bowl roster carry?

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 09:43 AM ----------

The problem is they use these Pro-Bowl apparences for HOF credentials. Now you are going to have many more pro-bowlers every year than in years past. You are going to have so many players that have 5 or more pro bowls on their resume when they were the 5th or 6th best at their position.

It's up to the sportswriters who vote for HOF inductees to be knowledgeable enough to know if a player's Pro Bowl nods were as starter or as an alternate, though. If they can't know that then they shouldn't be voting to begin with, imo. It's also up to them to be knowledgeable of how the Pro Bowl selection and game have evolved over time and take that evolution into account. They already claim to do that with the evolution of the league to a pass-friendly game and take that into consideration when looking at a WR's stats, for example. No reason they can't do the same with the Pro Bowl nods.

Football is just unique in that you can't really play it half-speed or for fun. OL and DL have to collide on every play, you have to tackle, etc.

In baseball, it can become a hitting display. In basketball, you can just not play D and give the fans a show. I guess you can do something similar in football, but then you're hanging specific players out to dry since they don't play both ways...it just doesn't translate well to an all-star game in my opinion. I'd just rather they pick conference all-stars and all-pros and leave it at that.

Is blitzing allowed in the Pro Bowl?

even if Orakpo didnt initially understand the significance of this, i'm sure his agent did.

good for Rak, though. as people have mentioned, if guys knew they couldnt hold him he probably would have had 12+ sacks and gone anyway.

i would also like to think that he was an alternate b/c of his play. better him go than an average player who is voted in as part of a "cowboys ticket."

Its a joke that if Chicago goes to the SB, the last-ranked (almost?) defense in the league will have 3 players in the Pro Bowl.

I'm of the opinion that judging a defense by yards allowed isn't the best way, but still....that would be a joke.

Congrats either way, Orakpo. I know you'll be getting in on your own merits in the future, once this defense gets more players that fit it.

Its a joke that if Chicago goes to the SB, the last-ranked (almost?) defense in the league will have 3 players in the Pro Bowl.

I'm of the opinion that judging a defense by yards allowed isn't the best way, but still....that would be a joke.

Congrats either way, Orakpo. I know you'll be getting in on your own merits in the future, once this defense gets more players that fit it.

There's 8 other players on the field along with Orakpo, Fletch, and Hall. Those 3 can only do so much on their own. Probowl is for individual players, not entire units. Is there anything about their individual stats which sows they don't deserve the Probowl (keeping in mind Orakpo and Fletcher are alternates).

There's 8 other players on the field along with Orakpo, Fletch, and Hall. Those 3 can only do so much on their own. Probowl is for individual players, not entire units. Is there anything about their individual stats which sows they don't deserve the Probowl (keeping in mind Orakpo and Fletcher are alternates).

I have never seen such an appropriate summation of the past decade of Redskins.

Handful of Pro Bowlers, but with little resources spent on the surrounding cast, little to show for those big names on the team level.

this place is pretty unbelievable sometimes.... our 24 year old STAR and future LEADER of the team has just made his 2nd ProBowl in two years and some of you sadclowns want to use the opportunity to ***** about the validity his accomplishments or the game itself? get a ****ing life

the game itself has always been a joke, but a long and successful career can often times be measured by Pro Bowl appearances.... as of right now, we have a young guy who could easily go down in history as one of the most dominant pass-rushers of all-time.

If you think about it, Bruce Smith had 200 sacks during a 19 year career... Orakpo is technically on that same pace... so all you gloomy, cave-dwelling, mongers of hate need to rip the bong, pop in the 'ol billy madison vhs, and chill the fuggout.

Geez, what's up with some of you finding a way to bash this??? I know this team is frustrating, but come on. You want young, growing talent? You got it, his name is Brian freaking Orakpo, and he's 2 for 2 on Pro Bowls. And that's all there is to it.

When was the last time, if ever, we've had a player go to the pro bowl in each of his first 2 seasons in the league? That's pretty impressive.

Lavar is the closest I can think of. I don't think he made it as a rookie, but I know he made it three of his first four years. Champ Bailey also missed it his rookie year but then made it for the next seven straight seasons.

Samuels also missed it his rookie season but made it the next two.

Archived