Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

After watching path to the draft on NFL network. It sounds like Locker actually dropped down the draft on Charles Davis and Charly Casserly's boards. They said he had poor ball placement and neither said they would draft him in the first. Davis said maybe a late 2nd and Casserly wouldn't touch him till the third.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

Davis said he has moved Ponder ahead of Locker

Based off of his workout? If they like Ponder more than Locker, he should already have had him ahead on his board, off of the tape.

The media and public are way too reactionary leading up to the draft.

Based off of his workout? If they like Ponder more than Locker, he should already have had him ahead on his board, off of the tape.

The media and public are way too reactionary leading up to the draft.

Based on his workout because he said that his ball placement was not accurate and it was in a controlled condition and most of his throws were easy ones. He missed on his two deep balls. I guess the logic is if he cant make those thows he shouldn't have had him so high in the first place.

Based on his workout because he said that his ball placement was not accurate and it was in a controlled condition and most of his throws were easy ones. He missed on his two deep balls. I guess the logic is if he cant make those thows he shouldn't have had him so high in the first place.

I guess. I'm just saying that if he was waiting to see if Locker would perfect his ball placement in a sterile, controlled workout, before finalizing his feelings on him as a prospect, then he's a terrible judge of talent...he should have been pretty sure of Ponder's place ahead of Locker on his board before this workout, if that's how he feels.

And Locker's two deep balls were really nicely thrown...his WR could have snagged both, honestly. I'm not going to fault him for overthrowing a WR (by inches) who will never sniff the NFL.

I guess. I'm just saying that if he was waiting to see if Locker would perfect his ball placement in a sterile, controlled workout, before finalizing his feelings on him as a prospect, then he's a terrible judge of talent...he should have been pretty sure of Ponder's place ahead of Locker on his board before this workout, if that's how he feels.

And Locker's two deep balls were really nicely thrown...his WR could have snagged both, honestly. I'm not going to fault him for overthrowing a WR (by inches) who will never sniff the NFL.

Ya I never got to see the whole thing. I was just suprised as I listened to the show because yourself and a few others who were watching seemed impressed by what they saw. Furthermore sites like Rotoworld said he helped his draft stock. I will be honest, I was secretly hoping he would choke a bit so he falls to us in the second. :)

Ponder was injured and has been progressing as he recovers which could also lead to his climb.

Very true. It doesn't have to be people becoming LESS impressed with Locker that's raising Ponder's stock...although the quote didn't seem to be saying that.

I do like Ponder, though.

If we trade down from #10, it would take some interesting developments for Locker to fall to wherever we landed up in the first round, much less to whatever we might had upgraded ourselfves to in the second round..

I say that, because I don't see Locker slipping past the Vikings at #12. Vikes are really looking hard at QBs. Now if either Gabbert and Newton was still on the board at 12, then maybe Jake slides -- but not too far. There are a lot of QB-hungry teams who might take a chance on Locker before the Skins get to their pick in the second round.

I think there will be some decent development QBs available in later rounds, but if we have to wait until the 5th rounds -- the QBs left for us would be the ones considered as "long-term projects".

I think there will be some decent development QBs available in later rounds, but if we have to wait until the 5th rounds -- the QBs left for us would be the ones considered as "long-term projects".

Thing is...it seems that there are definitely scouts out there who view Locker as a "long-term project" as well.

Thing is...it seems that there are definitely scouts out there who view Locker as a "long-term project" as well.

The impression I've gotten from most scouts of Locker isn't as a long-term prospect as much as a QB that'll need some development. As in, he should either go to a team that has most of the other pieces in place on offense or to a team that can sit him for a year and let him learn.

That being said, although I don't wanna see the Skins use #10 on him, I'd be fine with us grabbing him in the 2nd or even trading into the bottom of the 1st for him if Shanny likes him. We could sit him under Grossman for at least most of his first season, or longer if Grossman somehow actually plays decently.

If Shanny wants Locker he will have to contended with the Vikes at 12 and the Seahawks at 25.....maybe Minn passes on him but pretty much every guest and host on Sirius NFL Radio seems to think if he slides past Shanny and Frazier he is a lock to SEA at 25....on a side note host Jim Miller said he wouldn't be surprised if Shanny did pull the trigger at 10 because in his opinion WAS is the perfect system for Locker.

If Shanny wants Locker he will have to contended with the Vikes at 12 and the Seahawks at 25.....maybe Minn passes on him but pretty much every guest and host on Sirius NFL Radio seems to think if he slides past Shanny and Frazier he is a lock to SEA at 25....on a side note host Jim Miller said he wouldn't be surprised if Shanny did pull the trigger at 10 because in his opinion WAS is the perfect system for Locker.

I thought that Locker didn't fit Seahawks system very well...

I would like to pass on a first round QB all together

I strongly suspect thats what will happen. Newton and Gabbert will both me off the board by the time we pick so those decisions will be taken out of our hands. I really don't see us picking Locker and certainly not Mallett that high and there is no other QB close to having a top ten grade (I don't think Locker or Mallett have top ten grades either to be clear).

I think we will be drafting defensive front seven with that pick probably an OLB who can provide a pass rush on the other side to Orakpo.

There are more than a few lessons I learned during my time as an NFL personnel man. One was that if one person in a room full of scouts and coaches stands on a table for a particular prospect while everyone else claims to look the other way, then it's time to take another look at the player in question.

It's worthwhile to go back to the evaluation and try to see what the lone voice in the room sees. The process might lead you right back to your present evaluation, but it might also help prevent a mistake.

Lombardi: Locker a project

michael_lombardi_HS_09_65x90.jpg After watching Jake Locker's workout, NFL Network's Michael Lombardi still sees the quarterback as a "project" who will need time to develop into a pro quarterback. More ...

» Brandt: Locker displayed velocity

» Brooks: Locker presents dilemma

» Watch: Locker interview

» Rankings: Mayock's big board

It turns out Washington quarterback Jake Locker is just that type of player. Locker has been sliding down draft boards throughout the fall and winter. The way some see it, he isn't evn a third-round pick at this point. That leads to a series of questions: First, is that true? Are scouts missing something? Have we all become tainted by perceptions? Most importantly, are his issues correctable?

As my mentor, the late Dick Steinberg, once said to me, "Let's start with what we like about a player and then work back to the negatives."

In order to re-open the evaluation of Locker, I thought it wise to enlist a few quarterback experts into the process. First is former NFL quarterback Jim Miller, who like me has watched most of Locker's game tapes, studied his work at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine and most recently watched Washington's pro-day tape. Then there is Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian, an accomplished quarterback coach himself, who coached Locker. Sarkisian played quarterback at BYU and coached Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, John David Booty, and Mark Sanchez, among others. Next is a former NFL head coach who specialized in quarterbacks and has been watching Locker's game tapes for me specifically to address the issue of technique correctability. I also reached out to a current NFL head coach who needs a quarterback in this draft and was kind enough to share his thoughts on Locker, as well as a general manager who is not in need of a quarterback.

I even went back to a Pac-10 defensive coordinator who faced Washington this season and asked about Locker and the Huskies' offense. His first reaction: "Locker had no one in front of him, yet he threw for a ton of yards and killed us with his feet."

Former Jets quarterback Ken O'Brien, who was with the team while I was a part of the organization, is working with Locker and has made some interesting corrections in his mechanics. Miller observed that O'Brien has tightened Locker's shoulders and body lean on his drops, improving his balance since the Senior Bowl. Miller also noted Locker has a nice over-the-top delivery, with his elbow above the shoulder at the point the ball is released.

Locker finds validation

j_locker_101230_60x90.jpg After defying what seemed like conventional wisdom to forgo the NFL draft last year, Jake Locker is finding validation from NFL teams that he made the right decision after all. More ...

» Watch: Locker defends accuracy

» Q&A: Getting to know Locker

» Photo: Locker Portrait Session

» More: Locker player profile

Those sound like improvements, but there remain critics who describe Locker as inaccurate, unable to find receivers downfield and too quick to hit the panic button and run. As soon as I watched Locker on tape, though, I had an immediate idea on several issues that could be resolved by improved footwork. The issues surfaced at the Senior Bowl, and by the combine I was convinced the lack of depth on Locker's drops was causing most of his problems. Locker has a tendency to drop-step off the snap, which doesn't allow him to pull away from center and reach 7 yards deep on his five-step drop.

I did a video series with the late Bill Walsh a number of years ago on NFL coaching. Although I had coached college quarterbacks for six years, I learned an enormous amount from Coach Walsh about the importance of getting out from under center with a first step at 180 degrees. Coach Walsh called one drill "punch/reach" and believed it was never too late to work on it. He loved to talk about putting Joe Montana and Steve Young through it nearly every day.

Locker doesn't take the proper first step on a consistent basis, and it gets him in trouble. But there's no doubt he can improve. Coach Brad Childress told me he worked on the same drill with a young Donovan McNabb coming out of Syracuse until he perfected it.

The improvement was evident at Locker's pro-day workout last week. Sarkisian recognizes that it's an area of weakness, pointing out Locker has had only two seasons in a pro-style offense and is still improving his muscle memory.

"The quarterbacks I coached at USC started preparing for the NFL game in eighth grade, and by time they got to USC, they were ready," Sarkisian said. "Jake just started learning the fundamentals two years ago, had to break some bad habits. His personality and mental toughness will get him there in another year."

Added the current NFL head coach: "Jake is like a sophomore in college to me, and if he goes to a team that can sit him for one year, he may be great."

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

As a part-time scout for the Buccaneers at the time Steve Young arrived, I remember a great athlete who was just not ready to beat out Steve DeBerg. But the raw talent, great feet and competitiveness were there. Locker reminds me a bit of Young at that stage, so I asked others for their opinion.

Miller sees that Locker has a sixth sense when he feels pressure and is aware while looking downfield. He believes Locker's vision and cuts in the open field are uncanny, just like Young's. Sarkisian called it "a fair comparison at this point." The former NFL coach said the key for Locker is to learn how to play the game in the pocket. Childress pointed out a critical NFL stat about quarterbacks running for first downs. Rich Gannon led the NFL in that category during his best NFL season. It wouldn't surprise me to see Locker do the same someday.

So where does Locker fit in the NFL? The consensus among this group is a team with a veteran, established quarterback so Locker can continue his development on the practice field. A team could develop a package for him as a rookie, but patience is critical. Jacksonville (David Garrard), Tennessee (Kerry Collins), Seattle (Matt Hasselbeck) and Oakland (Jason Campbell) would all be interesting spots for Locker.

One attribute that rings out loud and clear for Locker is how well he throws to his left. After watching the pro-day workout, the general manager said Locker looked like Troy Aikman while throwing skinny post routes to his left. One of my evaluators has an issue with Locker's height (6-foot-2½), saying he isn't comfortable with quarterbacks under 6-4. A way to combat that would be to build a significant amount of waggle and bootlegs into the offensive package, which would take some pressure off Locker.

It reminds me that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has always had a strong perimeter passing attack based off his run game, and Washington would be an interesting destination for Locker if he didn't have to start right away.

When it comes to Locker's mental toughness and football intelligence, Sarkisian is the best source. You can get sense of these areas by putting a quarterback on the board or watching game tape, but nothing rock solid. Sarkisian said Locker identifies all defenses, makes protection calls, kills plays at the line, checks into audibles and handles criticism well. Granted, he is Locker's coach, but coaches have to tell it like it is with the future of prospects on the line.

I was glad to have revisited Locker's profile over the last five days. It opened my eyes to his potential, reset where I think he belongs in the draft, and, quite frankly, changed my overall opinion of him. I think Locker should be a late first-round pick, and I know two head coaches who agree with me.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f10f61/article/upon-further-review-locker-should-be-late-firstround-pick?module=HP_cp2

Breaking down Locker's TD pass in the Apple Cup

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-Lockers-TD-pass-in-the-Apple-Cup.html

Breaking down Locker's TD pass in the Apple Cup

Using video to talk coaching points, scheme. Matt Bowen

April 06, 2011 Print This .1 Comment .

Click here for the entire Inside the Playbook series.

From my perspective, Jake Locker is a QB that has a second round grade. Played in a pro system at Washington, has athletic ability (4.52 40 time) and can make the necessary throws in an NFL playbook. Inconsistencies? Sure, you can see that on tape, and as I watched down in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, a QB that will struggle at times with ball placement plus his footwork in and out of the pocket.

However, a prospect that is attractive from a developmental standpoint once he is in camp and working with pro coaching. There is upside here.

For today, let’s look at the former Huskie on video and break down the throw he made (9 route) vs. Cover 4 (quarters) in the 2010 Apple Cup to beat Washington State. A scheme (“pump-seam”) that you will see on tape at the NFL level.

Some coaching points to discuss:

1. Pre-snap read: Versus Cover 4, the “waste motion” used by Washington (F motion to the closed side boundary) creates a 3x1 look that allows Locker to see the coverage adjustments. Even before the ball is snapped, Locker knows that he can work the Z receiver on the post vs. a SS or go backside and throw the 9 (fade) vs. the open side CB aligned in a press-man look. This gives him options and ultimately the green light to throw the deep ball.

ICON

Locker will throw this same route scheme at the NFL level.

2. Pump-Seam: Go back to the TV tape and watch the replay from the end zone angle. What we are looking at here is the classic “pump-seam” route. A scheme that former Tampa head coach Jon Gruden used to have at the top of his call sheet in the “high red zone.” Take the 3-step drop, pump to No.1 (X receiver) and come back to the seam (post in this situation). However, as we discussed in our first coaching point, with Locker seeing Cover 4, the free safety could come into play on the post from the backside. Throwing the 9 route is the right call. Good use of coverage recognition from the Washington QB.

3. Throwing the 9 route: From this replay, I like the ball placement here from Locker. Give you WR a chance to make the play and throw the ball to the up field shoulder. Too often we put these throws under a microscope, but when working vs. a CB that will have his back to the football (due to the press alignment), get the ball out and force the DB to play technique. Bottom line: when you have created a one-on-one matchup in the vertical game, allow your guy to go up and attack the football.

4. Game situation: Something to look at? I think so, because we are talking about a senior QB making a big time throw in a rivalry game. Look at the situation: 2nd and 21 with under a minute to play in a tie ball game. Plus, a win Washington has to get in order to qualify for a bowl game. This is what you expect from your QB. And I can tell you, as a former defensive player that is exactly what you want to see from your offense. Go win the game for us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6299398

Surprise this wasn't posted yet.

As the players wait in the building's lobby, someone *notices the cathedral-like ceiling and asks, "How high is that?"

Locker answers first: "I'd say it's about 30 yards -- 60 feet."

Scotty McKnight, a former Colorado receiver who might not be drafted, turns his head, drops his eyebrows and grins. McKnight loves giving people a hard time, and his fellow prospect has provided a rare opening. "Thirty yards is 90 feet," he says.

"Uh, I didn't take math," says Locker, who earned his degree in history.

He's not smart enough to be a successful NFL QB. Safety, sure, fullback, sure, but not QB.

I was just about to post that article. The yards-feet conversion was a small footnote that scared me, but if you took to time to read the entire article, there were much more insightful/damning quotes:

"Look at the coach on the sideline," he says, pointing to Huskies headman Steve Sarkisian, who has dropped his arms in apparent frustration. "Jake must have screwed up."

Indeed he has. The scout rewinds the film, which shows Oregon State breaking the huddle into man coverage. But just before the snap, the Beavers shift to Cover 2. Sarkisian had called the perfect routes for this defense: Kearse hooking up and wideout Jordan Polk running deep. Locker's read should be Beavers corner James Dockery. If he covers short, throw deep; if he covers deep, throw short. Dockery covers short, and Polk is open deep, but Locker throws short. "He didn't recognize the coverage," the scout says. "In the pocket, he doesn't process quickly."

It's a curable condition -- if a quarterback has a patient coach, a more patient owner and years of reps in the same system. Says the scout: Too many ifs to choose Locker before the second round.

AT A RESTAURANT near his team's facility, the offensive coordinator launches the Washington-Oregon State game on a laptop. He watches Locker miss the Cover 2 and shrugs. Only a few quarterbacks -- Peyton, Brady, Brees -- make that read. "Plus," he says, "I love Locker's release."

Now the coordinator zeroes in on the QB's habitual pushes like a politico watching polls. The movements not only contribute to Locker's inaccuracy, scouts' biggest criticism, but also suggest that, as the coach says, "he's a mechanical quarterback."

That's code for a learned signal-caller, not an instinctual one. Learned quarterbacks run plays to perfection if everything goes as planned. Instinctual ones flip broken plays into big ones. "A quarterback's instincts are like a receiver's speed," the coach says. "You can develop it, but you can't coach it." So while he considers Locker to be an "excellent prospect," he pegs him as a third-rounder because "his habits might be too hard to break."

THE NFC PERSONNEL DIRECTOR pulls Locker's scouting reports off his team's secret intranet site. A few notes stand out. He likes the size of the quarterback's hands: 9 7/8". Plenty meaty. "Good for playing in cold weather," he says. But he worries about the discrepancy in the prospect's character grades. Teams tend to divide character into two categories: leadership and football. As a leader, Locker earns an easy A.

Locker's football character merits only a C. Too often, this team's scouts report, he struggled to manage his offense and the game. The question is why. So, clicker in hand, the scout kicks his feet onto his desk and turns on the Oregon State game. Unlike the other evaluators, he sees positives. On quick thinking: After Locker completes a deep comeback, the scout says, "See how the ball comes out before the receiver cuts? That's quick thinking." On pushing into pressure: Yes, Locker does it, but his arm often saves him.

In the second quarter, for instance, he pushes into a defensive tackle, but flicks the ball 50 yards for six. On football leadership: The Huskies' offense often looks out of sorts because Locker is dodging disasters caused by a questionable O-line. "After weeks of getting your ass kicked," says the scout, "you don't want to sit back there."

Still, the personnel director calls Locker an "improving quarterback" who "carried his team" but "needs some work." In other words, he's a second-rounder. Thing is, Locker showed the same traits as a junior, when experts projected him No. 1. "Perceptions changed," says the scout. "He had buzz, but nobody had studied him."

C'mon fellas.

I thought we're all beyond cherry picking?

Sorry, I omitted quotes from his brain therapist and Ken O'Brien.

I also included positive comments from each of the GMs.

And I have never seen you cherry pick positives (in all your pretty colors) out of a Locker article...

After all the reading, all the mock polls, all the talking heads, I have a pretty strong opinion that Shanahan is going to pick Locker with his first round pick. I would not be surprised if he tries to move back to pick up draft choices, but I think Locker is a "lock" to be a Redskins. Yeah, he is probably being picked too high for his ability level. But Shanahan needs a QB. It is the MOST important position on the team; and the Skins have nothing....now or for the future. I laugh when I see talking heads and mock polls showing Julio Jones. What the hell good is a great receiver if you have no QB to give him the ball?

It's possible that Shanahan could look for Ponder or Mallet or even Dalton in the second round and use his 1st round pick for something else. I just do not see it. Locker fits the mold of almost everything Shanahan values in a QB and Shanahan is arrogant/confident enough to believe he can fix the little things that affect Locker's accuracy in the pocket.

It's Locker.....book it.

Sorry, I omitted quotes from his brain therapist and Ken O'Brien.

I also included positive comments from each of the GMs.

And I have never seen you cherry pick positives (in all your pretty colors) out of a Locker article...

Hey, I'm just calling it like I see it.

And it was intended more for the other poster then you.

But, you're fudging a bit when you claim those were the only positive quotes you omitted.

Also, posting the enitre article and highlighting positives is much different from focusing on negatives while omitting positives.

Anyway here's the parts that I thought were omitted. ;) I highlighted some parts.

But Locker isn't really to blame for this downward spiral. He's a victim of a very subjective science: quarterback evaluation, which often reveals as much about the evaluators as it does about their subject. Because while scouts analyze every trait imaginable, from leadership to arm strength, final grades are based on an individual's beliefs about what matters most. That's why three football men can watch the same player during the same game, sometimes the same throw, and derive three different assessments.....

So scouts tend to view perceived weaknesses in absolute terms, assuming a QB's flaws in college always carry over to the NFL -- and they cover their butts by telling their bosses as much. Which brings us back to Locker.....

It's the first quarter. On first down from the Oregon State 16-yard line, Locker bootlegs right. "Not a lot of guys can do this," the scout says as he clicks to the end zone angle to get a better look. Nearly out of bounds, Locker scans his three options and drills a perfect pass over a leaping linebacker to receiver Jermaine Kearse, who catches the ball in the end zone.......

AT A RESTAURANT near his team's facility, the offensive coordinator launches the Washington-Oregon State game on a laptop. He watches Locker miss the Cover 2 and shrugs. Only a few quarterbacks -- Peyton, Brady, Brees -- make that read. "Plus," he says, "I love Locker's release.".....

The coordinator always analyzes a quarterback's release first. He likes a short, compact lash; Locker's motion is suitably smooth and clean. Next, he considers height. The best QBs, he says, range from 6'2" to 6'5"; Locker slides in at 6' 2.75"........

Unlike the other evaluators, he sees positives. On quick thinking: After Locker completes a deep comeback, the scout says, "See how the ball comes out before the receiver cuts? That's quick thinking." On pushing into pressure: Yes, Locker does it, but his arm often saves him.....

In the second quarter, for instance, he pushes into a defensive tackle, but flicks the ball 50 yards for six. On football leadership: The Huskies' offense often looks out of sorts because Locker is dodging disasters caused by a questionable O-line. "After weeks of getting your ass kicked," says the scout, "you don't want to sit back there." Still, the personnel director calls Locker an "improving quarterback" who "carried his team" but "needs some work."....

Most do. On the heels of Locker's strong combine and further examination of all of his game performances, The Magazine's three experts admit they'd consider taking him in the first round despite having graded him lower. Because he's talented, and franchise QBs are so rare, they might be willing to roll the dice on the flash of brilliance that seduced them in the first place. Truth is, scouts usually follow a pendulum swing of emotions: They fall hard for a player at first, then pick him apart before circling back to their first instinct. Locker's case is no exception. Says the offensive coordinator, "He's too talented to slip far."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6299398

Archived