Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

Also, I don't think that Ponder is far enough ahead of Locker in terms of being 'pro-ready' to make up for what I perceive to be a difference in throwing motion/release, arm strength and play making.

Imo if Ponder could start by opening day then imo Locker could start by mid-season.

McShay was just on the radio saying most coaches around the league are now viewing Locker as a developmental guy who will need 1 to 2 years on the bench while Dalton is the most pro ready.

Of course, this is the same McShay who was saying Locker was the number one QB just months ago.

I would generally agree with you... I get what your saying .... and I agree with you..... at every other position on the field I just think starting QB is a special case .
I see what you're saying as well.

And I showed you an example direct from Mike Shanahan himself in regards to a QB.

I think the notion of "franchise" QB is a modern invention and a largely empty label.

A QB isn't a "franchise" QB until they become one.

All end with this example: Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren to my knowledge have never spent a 1st round pick for their QBs does that mean they didn't like their QBs?

It means they valued and rated QB differently or better then the rest of the league.

McShay was just on the radio saying most coaches around the league are now viewing Locker as a developmental guy who will need 1 to 2 years on the bench while Dalton is the most pro ready.

Of course, this is the same McShay who was saying Locker was the number one QB just months ago.

My question to you would be do you believe him?

Did he say why?

McShay is the same person that will knock the spread as not being an NFL style offense but now he's gonna turn around and say that Dalton from a spread is more pro-ready then Locker who played in a pro-style offense?

That's not even a logical conclusion if you think about it.

Locker has played under center in a pro-style offense for the past 2 seasons run NFL style plays, has made NFL style reads from under center using 3-5-7 step drops, has made NFL style line-calls, site adjusts and audibles.

But, Dalton (who I actually like as prospect) is more pro-ready because why? He played in the spread, mainly in the shotgun not under center, without taking many 3-5-7 steps or making NFL.

If McShay wants to say that Dalton is a more polished passer then I would agree.

And anything a NFL coach tells a media mouth piece like McShay, especially this close to the draft, is for their own purposes.

(Also most credible media experts Mallett is the most pro-ready followed probably by Stanzi and Ponder)

Did he say why?

McShay is the same person that will knock the spread as not being an NFL style offense but now he's gonna turn around and say that Dalton from a spread is more pro-ready then Locker who played in a pro-style offense?

Locker has played under center in a pro-style offense for the past 2 seasons run NFL style plays, has made NFL style reads from under center using 3-5-7 step drops, has made NFL style line-calls, site adjusts and audibles.

But, Dalton (who I actually like as prospect) is more pro-ready because why? He played in the spread, mainly in the shotgun not under center, without taking many 3-5-7 steps or making NFL.

If McShay wants to say that Dalton is a more polished passer then I would agree.

And anything a NFL coach tells a media mouth piece like McShay, especially this close to the draft, is for their own purposes.

(Also most credible media experts Mallett is the most pro-ready followed probably by Stanzi and Ponder)

Personally I think the adjustment from the spread is a little overrated. Most programs use a spread and with the recent success of QBs early in drafts I don't think that adjustment is as big of a concern as basic fundamentals.

Locker needs a lot of work to be a more consistent passer, especially in the pocket. His accuracy is not NFL game ready. In that sense I guess I could see how Dalton is more pro-ready, but I'd take Mallet over either of them as far as readiness is concerned.

I'm with TK... a lot being said about Locker can be narrowed down to simple conjecture. Locker is just as good as any QB in the draft. The thing that constantly gets brought to the fore front has more to do with

1. His decision to stay in school for his Senior season. Somehow, someway this is viewed as a bad move, but give me a QB that started 3-4 years with his athletic ability and sheer "want-to" and I'm sold!

2. His completion percentage, which really is more of a wash because once again... you have to look at the talent around him and realize that this team was on the way up. Not a top tier team already at the mountain top or near it, but on the way up to the path leading up the mountain top. What Locker was able to do with seemingly lackluster talent somehow gets lost and is looked at in a different light.

Is he a two year project... I don't think so, but I'm an armchair QB just like the rest of you. Do I believe he can start day one...maybe...maybe not, but I believe that if he is the pick for this team he will benefit from the knowledge and the game planning that will be available to him here. I think he's the pick...ultimately trading own to get him.

I'm more and more inclined to think that if Julio Jones is there when we pick we still won't pick him. I believe the plan is to trade down or take Locker at 10. Many may moan if we do, but that's my take. if we want a receiver then we can go get Johnathan Baldwin out of Pitt in the 3rd if we secure a pick then.

You've got QBs that need a new home in Orton, McNabb, VY, Leinhart, Hassleback, & maybe Palmer.

Then you've Carolina, Buffalo, Minny, & AZ as teams that still need a QB as well.

That's 8-10 spots give or take Palmer & Leinhart.

Teams are going to over reach for QBs. I don't see us taking a QB at #10. I think we either take Quinn or we trade down. Unless enough teams over reach on QBs to drop Von Miller in our lap.

Really wish if we trade like crazy we could pick up two to three 2nd round picks &/or a 3rd.

You've got QBs that need a new home in Orton, McNabb, VY, Leinhart, Hassleback, & maybe Palmer.

Then you've Carolina, Buffalo, Minny, & AZ as teams that still need a QB as well.

That's 8-10 spots give or take Palmer & Leinhart.

Teams are going to over reach for QBs. I don't see us taking a QB at #10. I think we either take Quinn or we trade down. Unless enough teams over reach on QBs to drop Von Miller in our lap.

Really wish if we trade like crazy we could pick up two to three 2nd round picks &/or a 3rd.

It's convenient that all of these QBs in the draft are projects given all the startable FA QBs out there.

Did he say why?

I think McShay would say that scouts have told him that Dalton has shown great football instincts and a feel for the passing game that Locker hasn't.

That Jake Locker -- great name -- may have played in a pro offense, but he didn't show he could execute it at a high level. Remember, the talk out of the senior bowl was that he struggled to make some of the most basic reads in practice.

Right now Locker might be more of a great athlete playing QB than a QB who is a great athlete. Scouts have been burned by those types before. See Drew Henson.

That's not to say he will be Drew Henson. You never know. He could turn into a superstar. But taking him at ten seems like a really big risk.

I think the only realistic scenerio that would still be shocking to me would be for us to take Locker at 10.

Other than that, I have no freaking idea.

Well played mike, well played.

come to the dark side tris....:silly:

I am warming up to the idea of us picking Locker at #10. There are rumors that the Vikings actually like him at #12 and that a few people in the front office are already making the comparisons to Farve.

We need a QB who can be the face of this franchise and I think Locker seems like the kind of guy that other players will rally around. His accuracy is less than desirable, but I think Shanny needs "his guy" and Jake will be that dude.

His Disney knowledge is quite impressive too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOwN96d6tk&feature=fvst

If some team offered a 2nd or 3rd for Cooley, would you pull the trigger?

Personally, I think I would.

I think we at least need a 2nd for Cooley and I can see him fetching us a 1st too, if traded. The best value for Cooley is now. If Fred Davis was legit then I would say pull the trigger for a 2nd or 1st for Cooley. Who knows maybe the Skins might offer up Davis hoping he would fetch a 3rd.

I think McShay would say that scouts have told him that Dalton has shown great football instincts and a feel for the passing game that Locker hasn't.
Again, why would any team official tell a known media mouth piece like McShay anything close to the truth? If the team had Dalton ahead of Locker why wait til now to tell McShay?
That Jake Locker -- great name -- may have played in a pro offense, but he didn't show he could execute it at a high level. Remember, the talk out of the senior bowl was that he struggled to make some of the most basic reads in practice.
Again, execution is mainly a team function and scouting is about evaluating the prospect themself independent of the team.

I think this concept is hard to follow but scouts,actual scouts, and not media scouts aren't going grade a prospect based solely on their level of execution or stats or the production because its a team measure.

2 years ago (Locker was injured in game 3 missed the rest of the season) Washington went 0-12 and now following a complete coaching change now they went to and won their 1st bowl game in a long time.

Not that stats are a big part of the evaluation process but if you're looking at stats or level of execution keep in mind that while you might knock Locker's level of execution or production or stats consider that its likely viewed as being graded on a curve.

For those interested, Jake is going to be featured in that Three For The Show documentary that ESPN is doing as part of their Year of the Quarterback special. It's a documentary featuring Jake, Tyrod Taylor, and Cam Newton. The first episode is on the 19th, the 2nd on the 26th, and then the 3rd on May 3rd. From what I've heard, Jake is going to be featured the most in the 1st one, but don't quote me on that. It should be some good TV though.

Don't close the book on Locker just yet.

After all the talk today im still being told its Dalton over Locker but its close and it shouldnt be . I honestly believe this decision either pushes us towards success or keeps us in the same turmoil we have become accustomed to. Last season the mistake was made on easter so why repeat it again on draft night is beyond me. Hopefully Quinn is available at ten and the decison is taken out of the skins hands as to who is available. Im so tired of ego,pride, and square pegs in round holes. Sometimes the stuff you hear just makes me :mad:.

But Quinn is being touted as a better 4-3 end than a 3-4 OLB - a little like Orakpo . He could play 3-4 OLB but would not be playing at his best position . Isn't that a round peg in a square hole . Plus there have to be massive questions about the fact he didn't play football at all in 2010, he has long term heath issues with the brain tumor and is said to be a highlight real kid and disappears for long stretches of time. Also despite his size, is not stout against the run and if you want someone to put on the field opposite Rak you either need someone who plays the run well which would free up Rack to get after the QB, or you want to give Rak more run responsibilitiesbecause the new guy is a better pass rusher ..... I can see him at best being not quite as good as Anthony Spencer of the Cowboys ....

Andy Dalton is really a second rate prospect and I wouldn't take him before the 4th/5th round . Quirky 3/4 release, a little undersized and a questionable arm etc etc . Right now I don't see the Skins are looking for a decent stop gap player they are looking for a franchise QB and Locker has of all the QBs in the draft as if he has the highest ceiling .

I really don't see McNabb being here next year and I think we will hold on to him as long as possible . That FA class that TK outlined is pretty Urrrgghh and McNabb is probably the best option out there .

It would be great to trade down and down but I really think teams trading up will trade into the top 10 - not to No 10 overall . I think there is real talent available at the first 8 spots - after that you start running into players who might be great but need work . I doubt we will get massive value for No.10

I'm glad to hear this. I think the Shannys can correct any so-called accuracy issues.

Why? They had no noticeable effect on McNabb's accuracy issues.

The Shanahan's being infallible QB gurus should not be taken as fact after last year. Clearly they need a specific type of QB for their modified version of Kyles scheme.

I'd rather draft a QB that projects to Schaub than one that projects to McNabb for this offense.

Why? They had no noticeable effect on McNabb's accuracy issues.

I think they can have a more of an effect on a young QBs accuracy than a, set-in-my-way, veteran. Not saying it will work but its much easier to mold a young rookie than a girzzled vet.

I agree that player resistance played into last year (though you could go to the other side of the coin and say "as a vet, he should know what it takes, what is required, etc" - but I digress).

Here is a better way of looking at it:

If you had your choice, of Donovan McNabb in his prime, or Matt Schaub in his prime, which would you choose to run Kyle Shanahan's offense?

Archived