Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

Kyle has input as well.. unless scouts and personal reports are totally thrown out the window and ignored then I don't expect locker.

I'm curious what you mean by this. Are you referring to interviews with former teammates/coaches about Locker?

I'm curious what you mean by this. Are you referring to interviews with former teammates/coaches about Locker?

I'm pretty sure he just means that unless they completely ignore what our scouts have reported about Locker, he won't be our pick because he's not the best fit for Kyle's offense.

Sorry, cell phone auto correct messed it up. Personel reports

Is what I was talking about in reference to college scouting. Everything right now points to drafting defense with some offensive pieces.

Nope - Cutler can string together 2 sentences in a row. Mallet = Shuler. .45 caliber arm, bb-gun brain.

Reports on Mallet were that he did very well disecting plays on the whiteboard. However, i dont think Cutler and Mallet are really comparable. While they do have rocket arms, Mallet plays like a statue in the pocket. Cutler can move and his athleticism is under rated. I believe that is where their styles of play differ greatly.

I just have to say, I love Jake Locker's attitude.

He was just on path to the draft on NFL network and they asked what was the most unfair critique of his game. He replied that he thought the accuracy issues aren't as bad as being portrayed and he's using the process to prove that he is accurate.

Asked why his numbers were low and what caused it, he didn't complain or toss players under the bus. He said that his percentage may have dropped due to playing smarter, throwing the ball away. He said that a lot of plays that would drop your percentage were actually winning plays in the qb room. He wasn't throwing into tight coverage, he wasn't making errant throws, etc... Not once did he say that he played with some ****. He's just a good character guy and if he isn't a Skin, I'll still wish him all the best.

Kiper's somewhat schizophrenic take on Jake Locker:

“The issue with Jake is the accuracy,” Kiper said. “And the completion percentage is reflected in that. And also you have to defend it in saying the receivers there were not up to the top standards. The offensive line struggled. He took a lot of hits, he played through the injuries. I thought (UW head football coach) Steve Sarkisian limited in certain instances what he could have done because he was a little handcuffed.

“I thought particularly the game against BYU. Late in the game he makes a great throw to get them down to the 30 (yard line). They need a touchdown to win that game. And first down it’s a run, second down run. Third down he runs a quarterback draw. And on fourth down he has a pass batted down and it’s his fault, but you wait until fourth down to throw the ball. He took the ball out of his hands."

Kiper went on to talk about the fact that Locker completed 50.6 percent of his passes against ranked teams, and 51.6 percent of his passes in the fourth quarter. Locker finished his college career with a 55.4 completion percentage his senior season, after completing 58.2 percent of his passes during his junior year.

“Is it going to get up around 63 percent in the NFL when it’s only around 55 percent in college?” asked Kiper. “Jake was the No. 1 player on the board up until early September. You can’t drop him too far. I have him right as No. 26 (on Kiper’s big board). He might end up being as high as 23 or 24.

“He’s a late first-round possibility, maybe to Seattle. Any earlier than that you just don’t know what you’re going to get, because when that ball leaves his hands, sometimes it’s on target, sometimes it’s not. He has everything else you want – intangibles, toughness, athletic ability, size, arm strength – he’s got it all. Instincts and that feel for the position sometimes makes you wonder. And certainly the accuracy issue.”

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/03/09/mel-kiper-jr-talks-hawks-locker-the-pick/#ixzz1GA2tTKTF

I just have to say, I love Jake Locker's attitude.

He was just on path to the draft on NFL network and they asked what was the most unfair critique of his game. He replied that he thought the accuracy issues aren't as bad as being portrayed and he's using the process to prove that he is accurate.

Asked why his numbers were low and what caused it, he didn't complain or toss players under the bus. He said that his percentage may have dropped due to playing smarter, throwing the ball away. He said that a lot of plays that would drop your percentage were actually winning plays in the qb room. He wasn't throwing into tight coverage, he wasn't making errant throws, etc... Not once did he say that he played with some ****. He's just a good character guy and if he isn't a Skin, I'll still wish him all the best.

I thought it was as honest an answer as he could give without telling the truth of the situation.

Thankfully NFL scouts watch tape and guys like Mayock actually watch tape so they not only see what Locker was talking about they see that he was playing on a bad team.

(Even Kiper acknowledges that Washington State wasn't a good team in the post above)

The team is 2 years removed from being 0-12 bad under Ty Willingham when Locker was hurt in game 3.

I don't think its an exxageration to say that Locker played on a less talented team then Jay Cutler who at least had a 1st round talent at LT and an 3rd round WR.

Knowing the facts about Washington put Locker's production in proper perspective.

---------- Post added March-10th-2011 at 09:51 AM ----------

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d81eaf8c3/Locker-defends-accuracy

^^Locker on Locker *(the graphic they show for Locker's stats is wrong it reads: 17 TD 19 INT it should read 17 TD 9 INT)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb044c/Locker-shows-off-skills

^^Chalk talk

• 2 weeks later...

BR article on the next Redskins QB, figured I'd bump instead of starting a new thread......

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?345363-Bleacher-Report-The-Next-Franchise-Quarterback-of-the-Washington-Redskins-Is...

When the NFL Draft arrives in late April, the Washington Redskins will be looking to add the most important part of every NFL team, a Franchise Quarterback.

The Redskins have not had a franchise quarterback since Joe Theismann led Washington to their first Super Bowl victory over the Miami Dolphins in 1983.

Success in the NFL is hard to come by without a franchise quarterback.

The quarterback class of 2011 has four potential first round picks that could fill this major need for the Washington Redskins and Head Coach Mike Shanahan.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/638998-the-next-franchise-quarterback-of-the-washington-redskins-is#page/2

thanks for posting that link, swfl. i pretty much agree with the authors conclusions about how each QB fits (or doesnt fit) into the system. gabbert, to me, seems just as good a fit, if not better, than locker (probably cuz i like gabbert- think the kids gonna be good).

i'm getting the feeling that we will end up with locker (but hopefully not in the first). i dont think gabbert will be there, and i dont think shanny likes newton or mallet as much (speculation, of course).

He said the performance of a college player isn't always the best gauge of how he will fare in the NFL. In particular, he said Jake Locker's senior season was misleading:
"I think he regressed in terms of performance. But that doesn't determine the type of prospect he is. ... I think the first thing that people have to understand about Jake is that he played with some tremendous injuries, injuries that a lot of guys would have packed in their bags and not taken a snap and worried about their pro careers. He embraced the college environment and wanted to go back even though he would have been a top-seven pick last year. He's played with a lot of pressure. He's played with talent that couldn't protect him. They couldn't protect past their first read this year at Washington. So there's some circumstances or excuses if you want to call them that contributed to his regression in his performance.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=421

How far into the 2nd round is Locker projected to fall?

Varies by report, but a few of the latest "experts" I've read have him lower top half.

Personally I'll be shocked if he makes it out of the first, whatever the so called "experts" claim. The kids got too much potential to be passed up. One down year does not a bad QB make. If he is to be Coach Mike's guy, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us take him at 10.

Hail.

How far into the 2nd round is Locker projected to fall?
Varies by report, but a few of the latest "experts" I've read have him lower top half.

Personally I'll be shocked if he makes it out of the first, whatever the so called "experts" claim. The kids got too much potential to be passed up. One down year does not a bad QB make. If he is to be Coach Mike's guy, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us take him at 10.

Hail.

I think you guys are missing the context of Trent's statement.

Trent thinks that Locker will go in the 1st round before Seattle's 25th pick.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/resources/audio_headlines/audio_player.php?a=27308&f=/kiro/2011/03/03232011123142_27.mp3

I think far more of the draft media have Locker as a 1st rounder then a 2nd.

Mayock has Locker as his 2nd rated QB.

Locker worries me quite a bit, the other qbs (even mallet) I can get behind, but not so much Locker. If those three games posted were his three of his best then I'd hate to see his worst... I fully appreciate how dire his line was and you can see his will to win, but that just wasn't impressive tap to me.

I think you guys are missing the context of Trent's statement.

Trent thinks that Locker will go in the 1st round before Seattle's 25th pick.

http://www.mynorthwest.com/resources/audio_headlines/audio_player.php?a=27308&f=/kiro/2011/03/03232011123142_27.mp3

I think far more of the draft media have Locker as a 1st rounder then a 2nd.

Mayock has Locker as his 2nd rated QB.

It wasn't Dilfer I was thinking of man, but maybe's I'm behind times on the latest mocks.

Thank you regardless though. Locker being favoured as a first rounder heartens me that I'm not nuts in liking what I see in him.

Hail.

Archived