Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

I've been talking about ponder for 2 years now. He fits our system perfectly. I'm a huge fsu fan so ive seen just about all of his games, he got better every year.

I don't want locker his inaccuracy scares me. People say cam newton is a project I think locker is just as much of a project.

I like Ponder, too. My only issue with him is can he stay healthy?

I like Ponder, too. My only issue with him is can he stay healthy?

I believe so, he was healthy most of his time at fsu

Had fluke injuries to his shoulder and says he is 100% healthy now. People had questions about brees also when he left san diego but those questions are gone now

I think ponder will be the same way and the injury questions will go away.

In a year without clear franchise passers, the Redskins would be wise to use the #10 pick for a DL and use the #2 selection for a quarterback to develop.

Locker, Newton and the others are not 'can't miss' prospects and the chance that a top 10 pick fails to establish himself would set this team back 2-3 years.

In these all-star games, I tend to think that players can help themselves, but can't do a heck of a lot of damage. That said, Locker didn't help himself. Nor did Kaepernick. On the other hand, Ponder and Stanzi helped themselves.

I thought Stanzi looked poised but man does the ball take a long time to get there. I just can't see him ever being a fulltime starter in the NFL.

LOL you're absolutely right, that throw had 0% to do with throwing lanes. I was waaay off (dumb and dumber voice). It is interesting to note that rather than using a classic step up to make his throw, he instead chooses to make a jumping throw.

Watching the 1:50 mark play specifically, I believe his poor footwork prior to the jump pass may have led to the jump. His feet aren't anywhere near wide enough, he has no base, and he seems to have happy feet in my opinion.

I thought his drop back from after he received the shotgun snap was fine.
Then he climbs the pocket w/ shuffle steps and starts to scramble just when he sees the receiver break open and ends up between a running postion and throwing position.
I think he jumped to take his footwork out of the equation of making the throw and just trust his arm.
And MSMac makes a good point below the fear of crossing the LOS might have factored in also.

Just my take on that play fwiw, but I think he does his jump pass more because he thinks he's coming up to the LoS than because of bad footwork. The network shows the LoS and he is 2 yards away, but if he steps into that throw he is very near passing it. Just my :2cents:

Locker, Newton and the others are not 'can't miss' prospects and the chance that a top 10 pick fails to establish himself would set this team back 2-3 years.

Potentially even longer. Look at San Fran. They'e still stuck in the Alex Smith Experiment six years later. I'm sure there are other examples.

But with that said, I'm on board with Locker. **** it. I think he has the potential to be special and I trust Shanny knows what he's doing.

In a year without clear franchise passers, the Redskins would be wise to use the #10 pick for a DL and use the #2 selection for a quarterback to develop.

Definitely agree. I would not go with a QB in the first.

But with that said, I'm on board with Locker. **** it. I think he has the potential to be special and I trust Shanny knows what he's doing.

I've been in support of drafting Locker all along, but at this point I think I am ready to pass.

His performance yesterday was pretty awful. Locker wasn't just missing throws; he was completely ignoring open receivers, chucking the ball up randomly on go-routes with very little accuracy, and panicking as soon as he felt a little pressure.

I know it's only one meaningless game- but I think I've seen/read enough to know that I'm officially off of the Lockerboat.

To bad all of the worthy lineman will be gone by the 10th pick and the Skins would have to reach on a trench guy as well. So saying that I would rather take Newton or a Wr before taking a trench guy.

I find that impossible. Who're the "worthy linemen" and who do you foresee picking them before us? Mind you we could use a new right tackle, a nose tackle, a premier RDE or LDE (Golston and Carriker are NOT long-term solutions), and all prospects vanish?

I would also take a new OLB to pair with Orakpo before I go WR or Cam Project Newton.

I have reluctantly been on the Locker bus all off season because I firmly believe that if they don't have a QB in place they are just spinning their wheels by filling other needs. But this crazy talk just has to stop. Locker has come off a bad year with an even worse off season. Yesterday was huge for him and he has confirmed what most everyone already knows, he can't hit what he's throwing at nearly enough to warrant the #10 pick.

If they can't trade back I'd like Baylor NT Phil Taylor to be the pick.

Jumping off the "Jimmywag" so soon?

Funny you mention that. I myself was a member of the Jimmywag, and still believe if we could get him this year for a 4th or something, he could be a potential steal. No QB had a chance in hell on Carolinas team this year, this season can't be used as an accurate measuring stick of how his NFL career will play out.

this is from walter football... now some of you may like him or some may not but allot of key issues with locker he points out.. and irronic how he closes it up too.. hmmm

ake Locker, QB, Washington

Jake Locker's poor Senior Bowl week culminated with a pedestrian performance in the actual game. He made a couple of nice throws in the second half, but the negatives completely outweighed the positives.

Locker once again displayed his trademark inconsistency and poor accuracy. He nearly got Titus Young killed on two throws because his passes were too high. He was almost intercepted in the end zone by DeMarcus Van Dyke. He fumbled twice. His footwork, as detailed by Mike Mayock, was very poor. His decision-making wasn't very good either.

Locker is now a Round 2-3 prospect. There are things to like about his skill set, and with good coaching, he could become a solid quarterback in the NFL. However, I see a lot of Jake Plummer in him - which, unless you're Mike Shanahan, is not a good thing.

this is from walter football... now some of you may like him or some may not but allot of key issues with locker he points out.. and irronic how he closes it up too.. hmmm

ake Locker, QB, Washington

Jake Locker's poor Senior Bowl week culminated with a pedestrian performance in the actual game. He made a couple of nice throws in the second half, but the negatives completely outweighed the positives.

Locker once again displayed his trademark inconsistency and poor accuracy. He nearly got Titus Young killed on two throws because his passes were too high. He was almost intercepted in the end zone by DeMarcus Van Dyke. He fumbled twice. His footwork, as detailed by Mike Mayock, was very poor. His decision-making wasn't very good either.

Locker is now a Round 2-3 prospect. There are things to like about his skill set, and with good coaching, he could become a solid quarterback in the NFL. However, I see a lot of Jake Plummer in him - which, unless you're Mike Shanahan, is not a good thing.

Walterfootball is dead on.

That said.. having watched highlights of everyone, Locker has the most potential. I just don't think he's anything near a #10 pick.. and they (Locker, Gabbert, Mallet, Newton) are all a lightyear behind Andrew Luck.

None of them are a #10 IMO.

if Locker or Newton is still hanging around in the 2nd.. i'd be willing to gamble on one of them. I just don't think anyone of them will be and I think you are seriously risking throwing away your 1st rounder taking one of them.

Funny you mention that. I myself was a member of the Jimmywag, and still believe if we could get him this year for a 4th or something, he could be a potential steal. No QB had a chance in hell on Carolinas team this year, this season can't be used as an accurate measuring stick of how his NFL career will play out.

That's not really true.

Carolina had some issues on offense (a solid defense though), but bad QB play was a big part of their problem, and Clausen was a main contributor to that. Some feel that John Fox threw him into the fire too early, which is possible, but he didn't show much even by the end of the year.

That's not really true.

Carolina had some issues on offense (a solid defense though), but bad QB play was a big part of their problem, and Clausen was a main contributor to that. Some feel that John Fox threw him into the fire too early, which is possible, but he didn't show much even by the end of the year.

Matt Moore did fine down the stretch last season with the team, but was awful this year. The o-line was in shambles with Otah down, Williams/Stewart were banged up most of the year, his #1 WR is a speedster past his prime, his #2 WR is a rookie and his TE is king or something... 1st year, awful surrounding, can't be a good judge of his career.

---------- Post added January-30th-2011 at 03:31 PM ----------

Check out pg 16 post #234

I went back and looked at the tape. I understand the other posters POV on the jump, but don't find it to be very accurate. 1.) He's still at least 2 yards behind the LOS when he throws it, 2.) He jumps forward with his momentum, not up, to the side or backwards which might prevent him from continuing forward.

I also disagree with your assessment of his footwork. I didn't mind his dropback, but when he begins to scramble or "shuffle" his feet to step up, I just start to cringe. He's feet are so close and he's in no position to get rid of the ball quickly, probably why he jumps to remove any footwork when he throws the ball. Even Mayock who I believe you like, or it might be Casserly that you like now that I think of it, well Mayock mentioned how poor Locker's footwork is in the pocket.

I wasn't impressed with this guy before the SB, and I'm even less impressed with him now. I don't even know if I'd take him in the 2nd at this point,.

I also disagree with your assessment of his footwork. I didn't mind his dropback, but when he begins to scramble or "shuffle" his feet to step up, I just start to cringe. He's feet are so close and he's in no position to get rid of the ball quickly, probably why he jumps to remove any footwork when he throws the ball. Even Mayock who I believe you like, or it might be Casserly that you like now that I think of it, well Mayock mentioned how poor Locker's footwork is in the pocket.

edit(Re:LOS We know exactly where the LOS b/c we can see it he doesn't know exactly where it is also if IIRC if a QB jumps he can be across the LOS just as long as the pass is thrown before his feet land.)

I think we agree that he was in no position to throw the ball.

Keep in mind he's scrambling.

No one is gonna have perfect footwork mid-scramble.

Mayock is one of the few credible draft 'experts'.

And Mayock did mention that sometimes Locker overstrides.

If you want to use that to label Locker's footwork overall as poor that's fine but I don't think that's was Mayock's intented point.

Mayock, afterall has Locker as a top 15.

I think we agree that he was in no position to throw the ball.

Keep in mind he's scrambling.

No one is gonna have perfect footwork mid-scramble.

I don't expect a perfect scramble, but I would like to see a wider base he's chopping his feet one after another right next to eachother.

Mayock is one of the few credible draft 'experts'.

And Mayock did mention that sometimes Locker overstrides.

If you want to use that to label Locker's footwork overall as poor that's fine but I don't think that's was Mayock's intented point.

Mayock, afterall has Locker as a top 15.

I thought he said he overstrides a good majority of the time inside the pocket, but I could be mistaken.

And has Mayock updated his big board since the SB?

I don't expect a perfect scramble, but I would like to see a wider base he's chopping his feet one after another right next to eachother.

I don't see how you can scramble and keep a wide base at the same time at some point your feet are gonna be close to together.

And has Mayock updated his big board since the SB?

I'm not even sure if Mayock has a big board yet.

I also doubt that Mayock would down grade a prospect based off the Senior Bowl.

Typically player can't hurt themselves in these events and the evaluation is as much about how the player interacts with the teammates and coaching staff as it is about what they do on the field.

Archived