Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

This article is from www.BroodingBurgundy.com and it takes an excerpt from Mike Shanahan's book "Think Like A Champion". The excerpt is Mike Shanahan talking about his experience in the draft and his evaluation process when it comes to QBs. This suggests that we may be getting a guy like Locker int he draft.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Here’s some interesting stuff from Shanny’s book, Think Like a Champion, regarding the notoriously imprecise college quarterback evaluation process (excerpted from Chapter 13: Risk Taking)…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" One of the most second-guessed areas, where so many risks are taken, is the NFL draft. Each April, some of the picks baffle me, but none more so than at quarterback. Of all the players and positions available in the draft, quarterback is easily the worst evaluated.

It’s amazing to me how some teams will take a quarterback in the first round when you have him ranked as a fifth-round talent. I’ve seen players we’ve had ranked as fourth-round picks go in the top ten. It is why I love to play the odds with quarterbacks.

During the 1993 draft, while I was still with the 49ers, we had Michigan’s Elvis Grbac rated as the draft’s second-best quarterback, behind Washington State’s Drew Bledsoe and just ahead of Notre Dame’s Rick Mirer and Washington’s Mark Brunell. San Francisco was loaded at quarterback and I made my pitch for Elvis in the fourth round, the fifth round, the sixth round and the seventh - which gives you an idea of how much pull I had there. The 49ers did not take Elvis until the eighth round.

Elvis went on to help the 49ers get to Super Bowl XXIX and later, as a free agent, left San Francisco to become the starting quarterback in Kansas City. But that draft left me with something more than a strong relationship with Elvis. It left me with the idea that if you see a quarterback in the third, fourth, or fifth round whom you feel is a second-round talent, why wait to take him? The odds are with you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This little snippet tells me three things about Shanny’s perspective that will have grand implications on our 2011 draft, both of which I find encouraging:

1. He doesn’t care what Mel Kiper thinks. He’s taking the guy he likes.

2. He realizes that quality quarterbacks can be found later in the draft, so hopefully he won’t reach for one at #10 in the absence of value.

3. If one falls, he’ll push to draft a quarterback even when he’s stacked at the position… so right now, when we’re perilously thin, he’s probably extra interested.

Putting all that together, I predict our next draft will include a quarterback, but not a “big name” guy in the first round. Probably not Newton or Mallett or Gabbert. Possibly Locker, because he’s so much like Cutler (who Shanny drafted in Denver), but probably not him either. I’m thinking someone along the lines of a Colin Kaepernick (Nevada) in the second or a Greg McElroy (Alabama) in the fifth.

very interesting ... Andy Dalton is a QB I really like that seems to have more of a 2nd-3rd grade on him. Would love to pick him up later in the draft. As LL56 mentioned the lockout and the CBA issues, and how that may delay a rookie QB's learning for the 2011 season ... i wonder if the focus is on the 2012 draft, and we try to position ourselves with a full deck of cards (eg. "draft picks") and look to load up for the future. Gonna be interesting for sure.

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 09:52 AM ----------

If some team comes to us and offers us a saints package for our # 10 pick. Do we do it? And furthermore do we do it knowing that mike s. N kyle, like locker...?

hell yeah we do it ... but I guess that is because I'm not sold on Locker at #10. Question is, would that team be moving up to "reach" for Locker, or is there some other player you are thinking would be there? If we could do a trade like that, and still get Locker (or Dalton -- who i prefer) later in the draft, that would be ideal.

...I meant Steve Young. He was the only Mobile QB that ever won anything. But since him, teams have been wasting DPs on these mobile guys when flat footed pocket passers like the Mannings and Brady have been winning SBs.
Your argument should be directed to Mike Shanahan: "Hey Mike, why doncha build a scheme friendly to a pocket passers like Brady. Then you wouldn't need to spend a #1 pick on an athletic QB like Elway or Cutler. You could find one with a low round pick."

"EZAMPLE SCHANEZ?"

Isn't that the guy that runs Mexico?

My honest feelings are that drafting a guy like Locker seriously scares me because it could set this team back another 3-5 yrs if he plays the way he did in college and doesn't progress and become a more complete QB. His inaccuracy, drops or no drops, is still a VALID concern and should not be taken lightly. Over the span of four years it's remained and issue and if he wants to succeed at the next level he's going to have to work extremely hard at identifying defenses at the LOS, calling audibles, and projecting his reads prior to the snap.

I have been dying, figuratively, for a franchise QB for this team for a decade now and if it's Locker or anyone else and we draft that guy...this will be me --->:cloud9:! I just hope he's [Locker or another QB] not another project that we're forced to sift through for 3-5 yrs only to be left standing with our thumbs up our a**** looking around going :wtf:

I just hope he's [Locker or another QB] not another project that we're forced to sift through for 3-5 yrs

My sentiments as well. Every one of the QBs bring some elevated bust factors. I know I'm begging and choosing here, since we're needing a young guy to develop and if there were a perfect type we wouldn't have a shot at him anyway. But when I start to pare it down, none of them are starting next year if we field a team, so Devlin/Dalton/McElroy start to become just as attractive as the rest.

I recall Steve Young talking about developing accuracy one time. His point was that it was a terrible idea to draft on the expectation for a QB's accuracy to improve, because that fundamental trait is more or less wholly developed by this point in a playing career (arm angle, shoulders, footwork and the rest factored in but not persuasively so). For as much as I like Locker the football player, I think about that argument. Maybe he's still shaking off the Ty Willingham stigma.

For the most part I wasn't very impressed by Locker, majority of his throws went to receivers behind the LOS, he made some poor decisions, he wasn't very accurate and in my opinion he doesn't play very fluid.

o By my count there were 5 pass thrown behind the LOS out of 40 attempts; by number on the passing chart plays: 1,3,(14),27,36 were all behind the LOS

o Every QB makes some poor decisions every game.

But, which plays did you think he made a poor choice?

I saw maybe 3 or 4 plays which are highlighted in orange on the passing chart that may have been poor choices; but keep in mind he threw 40 passes.

*(the orange highlighted plays include miss throws, drops and fumbles)

o

'He wasn't very accurate'
is a very generic statement.

I counted 2-maybe-4 passes that may were inaccurate again that's out of 40 passes.

(again those passes are marked as such in the passing chart)

Which passes do you think were inaccurate?

Plays the stuck out to me:

1st drive, misses the RB on a wheel route, could have been an easy TD.

I remember those throws too from the passing chart:

I counted the RB wheel route as minus play also:

5) Shotgun: Reads progression from (L) to ® fins RB on wheel route w/ pressure in his face makes an on time+ on target+ instride- ball thrown into the endzone-incomplete pass either thrown to far in front or misjudged by the RB* a better decision on the throw may have been to throw the RB short of the endzone and force them to throttle down to make the catch easier (:56s)
Following play gets rid of the ball too quickly instead of standing in pocket, tries to make a ridiculous throw ends up going incomplete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXw6qJlFqXQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Keep in mind that in a rhythm passing game the ball has to come out on time.

Based on when the receivers are breaking open Locker is throwing the ball on time on throw here.

If you look at the 1:06 mark the WR on the ® is bracketed the other options are the checkdowns in the flats who probably get tackled short of the endzone. He tried to fit a ball in a tight window for the a TD, i don't grade that as a bad decision.

6) Shotgun: Skinny Post/Slant Slot (L) reads progression on (L) throws into a tight window on time+ on target+ in stride-pass slightly too far in front of WR; Quick Release
For the most part I saw a QB throwing into double coverage way too much, going for a bomb on 3rd and 1 (irritates the hell out of me), throwing behind the LOS, and not making many accurate passes.

There were several throws into tight coverage and small windows that were completed but i didn't see more then 2 plays thrown into double coverage and both were thrown away from the defenders almost like throw aways.

(from the passing chart) plays: 12, 24,

Which plays do you think were into double coverage?

-Btw thank you for actually discussing plays from the game.

This was my hope for this thread.

As much as a true franchise QB is needed on this team...I'm loving the fact that almost everyone seems to be discounting the fact that there isn't a true #1 WR on this team. Is this because it's a foregone conclusion one is acquired in FA, therefore, QB becomes a bigger Draft Day possibility? All I know is Santana has been asked to be a #1 for us even though he's really not, and performed admirably and inspired I might add, but WR is another huge liability on this team. AA should develop into a really good #2, so Tana moving to the slot would be awesome if we pull the trigger somehow on a #1 WR.

Not trying to go off-topic of the thread, but if say VJAX or James Jones are acquired thorugh FA, then I'm all for QB this year if that's what follows in the next few months. That being said I will definitely watch the Senior Bowl and post my honest unbiased opinion on Locker after doing so. I'm just tired of some people pretending like WR isn't a priority and has been one for a long time...not since the Posse has an opposing defense actually respected our receiving corp.

Edit: DGreenie...I will actually give you my recap of the youtube vid regarding your original post later, not trying to hijack your thread it's just I'm at work today for 12 hrs and although I'm allowed on here, our network won't allowing streaming sites like youtube...but as you can tell I'm bored so felt like posting. I will post later toward your intended purpose of this thread when I can get on youtube.

Your argument should be directed to Mike Shanahan: "Hey Mike, why doncha build a scheme friendly to a pocket passers like Brady. Then you wouldn't need to spend a #1 pick on an athletic QB like Elway or Cutler. You could find one with a low round pick."

Shanahan doesn't run a passing offense based primarily around the roll out. It compliments the running game, primarily. He leans on the the roll out game when the QB is lacking. If the QB is not capable of making the quick confident decision to pass out of the pocket with rhythm and accuracy, with some consistency, then he limits those attempts. Replacing them with rollouts and cutting the field in half in terms of QB reads.

Walsh and Shanahan liked Plummer because of his mechanics from the waist down in his drops from center specifically. It was a bonus that Jake the Snake could run, extend plays, and compliment the running game, rolling out and throwing on the run. Eventually Jake proved that he didn't have mind to throw out of the pocket, in rhythm, consistently. So Shanahan limited those attempts, replacing them with the roll outs.

Ideally Shanahan likes to spread the field, three, four, and even five wide sets, build a lead and then turn to the run, and rollout game to control clock and protect the lead. Mike drafted Cutler to replace Plummer because Jake wasn't efficient enough to pass from the pocket consistently. He couldn't open up the entire play book. He could with Cutler and the use the rollout game became secondary.

I just think its a misconception that running, athletic ability, is somehow the foundation of a Shanahan QB.

o By my count there were 5 pass thrown behind the LOS out of 40 attempts; by number on the passing chart plays: 1,3,(14),27,36 were all behind the LOS

I counted 3 on the first drive alone; I believe they were HB screen, bubble screen, then in the RZ there's a PA roll-out toss to the flat.

I recorded another HB screen at 5:00 into the clip. 2 More WR screens at 5:30, and 7:00, as well as an toss o the HB in the flat at 6:56.

That's 7 right there, and I believe there may have been more, of his 24 completions.

**quick other notes

2nd drive: impressive out thrown

o Every QB makes some poor decisions every game.

But, which plays did you think he made a poor choice?

I saw maybe 3 or 4 plays which are highlighted in orange on the passing chart that may have been poor choices; but keep in mind he threw 40 passes.

*(the orange highlighted plays include miss throws, drops and fumbles)

2 minutes into the clip, 3rd and 1, he throws deep into double coverage.

4:11... bad decision and not very accurate, though he might have been throwing high and away to ensure ball didn't get picked.

5:54 similar mistake as 2 minutes.

o is a very generic statement.

I counted 2-maybe-4 passes that may were inaccurate again that's out of 40 passes.

(again those passes are marked as such in the passing chart)

Which passes do you think were inaccurate?

He specifically misses a skinny post at the 5:20 mark, he missed the wheel route in the 1st drive in the RZ we talked about. At the 5:54 mark he also makes another inaccurate throw.

Keep in mind that in a rhythm passing game the ball has to come out on time.

Based on when the receivers are breaking open Locker is throwing the ball on time on throw here.

If you look at the 1:06 mark the WR on the ® is bracketed the other options are the checkdowns in the flats who probably get tackled short of the endzone. He tried to fit a ball in a tight window for the a TD, i don't grade that as a bad decision.

I disagree, I believe in a rhythm passing game the ball is supposed to come out in time, but sometimes a play will break down and a QB should still use their ability to extend a play even in the WCO. A perfect example of this would be Aaron Rodgers in the NFL, he runs a timed WCO. However on more than a few occassions Rodgers receivers will be bracketed still by the time pressure is in his face, he takes it upon himself to first evade the pressure and then 2nd do some ad libbing to find ann open receiver.

There were several throws into tight coverage and small windows that were completed but i didn't see more then 2 plays thrown into double coverage and both were thrown away from the defenders almost like throw aways.

(from the passing chart) plays: 12, 24,

Which plays do you think were into double coverage?

Listed above under bad decisions.

-Btw thank you for actually discussing plays from the game.

This was my hope for this thread.

No problem. Don't know anywhere near enough about this years crop of college QB's love threads like this.

Overall from watching this video I'm not very impressed, I wouldn't want to see us use our 1st rounder on Locker.

Watching the film it seems that Locker makes an inordinate number of throws with both feet in the air. Almost all of his screens were jump throws as well as a fair number of roll outs. I counted roughly nine of 40 throws when both feet were in the air. + for arm strength but - for mechanics.

Shanahan doesn't run a passing offense based primarily around the roll out. It compliments the running game, primarily. He leans on the the roll out game when the QB is lacking. If the QB is not capable of making the quick confident decision to pass out of the pocket with rhythm and accuracy, with some consistency, then he limits those attempts. Replacing them with rollouts and cutting the field in half in terms of QB reads.
I think you have it backwards. Mike's signature play is the zone stretch. Thus, the play-action rollout off the zone stretch is a very important cog in Mike's passing game. It isn't just something to fall back on if the QB can't pass from the pocket.

In fact, if the QB can't pass on rhythm from the pocket (with his feet balanced under him), he's likely to be even worse throwing on the move.

Watching the film it seems that Locker makes an inordinate number of throws with both feet in the air. Almost all of his screens were jump throws as well as a fair number of roll outs. I counted roughly nine of 40 throws when both feet were in the air. + for arm strength but - for mechanics.

Mechanics can be taught. Not necessarily to an 11-year vet (cough *McNabb* cough), but to a rook fresh out of college, sure.

After watching the video, the one thing that did impress me was how comfortable he seemed to be rolling left and throwing. That is usually difficult for a right handed QB to do. He did do some good things, did do some bad things. I am not sure he is worth a #10 pick, but watching this video, and hearing about his JR season, I would not be opposed to him being picked with that pick if the coaches believe that he is the best fit for the team needs. I would honestly like to see the Skins trade down and still get him, but I am not sure how long he will last. I have a feeling that someone will gamble on him in the first round.

... then in the RZ there's a PA roll-out toss to the flat..........That's 7 right there, and I believe there may have been more, of his 24 completions.

Not to nit-pick, but you said thrown behind the LOS and a pass in the flat isn't behind the LOS.

Also, you said the majority of his passes were thrown behind the LOS and even if you include pass in the flat, 7 passes does not make a majority.

Also, the screen game and quick game i.e. quick rhythm passes are part of every passing offense, even the elite passing offenses in the NFL.

I disagree, I believe in a rhythm passing game the ball is supposed to come out in time,

If you believe the above statement then you don't disagree.

You said this:

Following play gets rid of the ball too quickly instead of standing in pocket, tries to make a ridiculous throw ends up going incomplete.

And i pointed out that he got rid of the ball on time.

...but sometimes a play will break down and a QB should still use their ability to extend a play even in the WCO. A perfect example of this would be Aaron Rodgers in the NFL, he runs a timed WCO. However on more than a few occassions Rodgers receivers will be bracketed still by the time pressure is in his face, he takes it upon himself to first evade the pressure and then 2nd do some ad libbing to find ann open receiver.

It seems here like you're knocking him for not making a play.

And although he's a good playmaker its kinda unfair to expect a QB to make a play.

I think he made an ample number of plays on his own this game.

No problem. Don't know anywhere near enough about this years crop of college QB's love threads like this.............................................Overall from watching this

Thanks you again; we'll try to have a series of threads like this one for the top prospects. (If you have any suggestions on how to make it better PM)

Gabbert should be up tonight though.

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 04:18 PM ----------

I noticed that also, and its fixable.

I think some of the times he did the jump-pass was to throw over the DL on a screen.

Posts like this are why ES is the best board in the league. Guys around here really get in depth, and, in my opinion, do better work than some so called experts on ESPN and such. Far better.

With that said, I tend to confuse myself the more I read, and think, and compare, and evaluate these QBs coming out. Sometimes, it's just a gut feeling I guess? A guy like Rak was a no brainer, we all felt good about that. Trent could have been Okung, so there was a little something there, but still an obvious choice, as we needed a LT.

But I go with Locker for pretty much one simple reason. My boss and I talk football a lot, and last year (as in the 2009 college season), boss was telling me how Locker was the real deal, and should be what the Skins are lookin for. Locker didn't come out that year so it was a moot point at the time. And it's not like my boss is some football genius, but he's nailed quite a few other prospects on how they do. It put the seed in my head about Locker, and I just liked it. I don't know about getting him with the 10th overall, with all the other needs, blah blah... but I've already convinced myself I'd be perfectly happy with him.

Sure, looking at all the numbers/tape is important, but you gotta consider these kids haven't been coached by NFL coaching squads yet. How much a QB can be molded isn't really something you can measure. You could say Jason did a good job of changing offenses, he was successful with that (in college) but really theres no barometer for it. I think Mike Shannahan's #1 thing is 'coachability'. The ability to be molded into what you need to be. What coach wants you to be. And say what you want about Shanny, but he knows what a QB needs to be. So I'm sure all the top guys will visit Redskins park, and I think the one with the best CHARACTER will get the nod from boss man. If we take a QB at all. And that goes for any position.

As soon as this team isn't going into the draft 'desperate' with so many holes, and dire needs...as soon as they're able to play around with the draft a bit..I think they will be excellent at it. In the meantime, give me Locker. I just like him.

I think you have it backwards. Mike's signature play is the zone stretch. Thus, the play-action rollout off the zone stretch is a very important cog in Mike's passing game. It isn't just something to fall back on if the QB can't pass from the pocket.

In fact, if the QB can't pass on rhythm from the pocket (with his feet balanced under him), he's likely to be even worse throwing on the move.

I would agree its his "signature" play. What I'm trying to say is that he leans more heavily on the zone stretch roll out in order to manage the game through the QB position when the QB sucks as a pure passer. And that is the concern with Locker. So what if he can run the zone stretch roll out to perfection. Its not what Shanahan wants above and beyond all other attributes. Shanahan will put his QB in the shotgun and let him dissect the defense, if that QB is capable. The offense doesn't revolve around the zone stretch/rollout, its a component. Thats my opinion.

Not to nit-pick, but you said thrown behind the LOS and a pass in the flat isn't behind the LOS.

Play starts at 12 yard line, he throws the pass to around the 15 maybe even 16, almost 4 yards behind the LOS. We might be referring to different plays..

Also, you said the majority of his passes were thrown behind the LOS and even if you include pass in the flat, 7 passes does not make a majority.

True however, 7 of 24 completions is more than I would like to see.

Also, the screen game and quick game i.e. quick rhythm passes are part of every passing offense, even the elite passing offenses in the NFL.

I agree, but when I watch a game similar to Brunnell's record setting 30 something completions against the Jags, I'm not as impressed by the QB statistics as others. Completions I like to see, are tough NFL throws, IE a deep out, off a classic drop back, if a QB can make that throw they will impress me.

If you believe the above statement then you don't disagree.

You said this:

And i pointed out that he got rid of the ball on time.

Throwing the ball to a receiver that isn't open whether or not on time, is getting rid of the ball too quickly in my opinion. Maybe it isn't fair of me to expect a QB to make a play in that situation, but I would like to see a QB with Locker's athleticism do a little ad-libbing in such a circumstance.

It seems here like you're knocking him for not making a play.

And although he's a good playmaker its kinda unfair to expect a QB to make a play.

I believe if he'd held onto the ball longer their would have been more opportunities to make a play, which I believe is a better decision than attempting a play ridiculous pass to a covered receiver.

Thanks you again; we'll try to have a series of threads like this one for the top prospects. (If you have any suggestions on how to make it better PM)

Gabbert should be up tonight though.

My only suggestion would be more than one game from the QB's, maybe there worst, median, and best games? It's difficult to judge a QB on one day, when said QB can either be totally out of it, or in the zone.

I would agree its his "signature" play. What I'm trying to say is that he leans more heavily on the zone stretch roll out in order to manage the game through the QB position when the QB sucks as a pure passer.

That would may be your opinion but i don't think it reflects the reality.

Mike Shanahan has used the pa-rollout,bootleg/waggle with all his QBs none of whom 'suck' as a 'pure passer'.

They call the play b/c its a compliment to the ZBS stretch runs and it keeps the backside DE and OLB playing honest.

Kyle Shanahan even uses it w/ Matt Schaub, he even used it w/ Rex Grossman.

The ability to execute the pa-roll out at high level is not a negative, which seems to be your intent.

Mike Shanahan has used the pa-rollout,bootleg/waggle with all his QBs none of whom 'suck' as a 'pure passer'.

They call the play b/c its a compliment to the ZBS stretch runs and it keeps the backside DE and OLB playing honest.

The ability to execute the pa-roll out at high level is not a negative, which seems to be intent.

If there is one thing which I think is very clear from the game film it's that Locker is a remarkable athlete who is very very good at throwing on the move. If anything he is more accurate throwing while moving than from the pocket. He is a great scheme fit for what we do on offense, there are a number of plays on the tape where he lines up in the I and runs play action which look like they come right out of our play book.

The flag on him is when he is in the pocket, there are a few examples on the tape where he misses high or wide. Every QB has a couple of throws a game they would like back but Locker's inconsistency in the pocket is a concern.

The ability to execute the pa-roll out at high level is not a negative, which seems to be intent.

I'm not trying to diminish the ZBS playaction passing game. Its great. I understand how it compliments the running game and visa verse. What I believe that Shanahan ultimately wants out of the QB position is the ability to shift gears offensively. Shanahan likes to build a lead with an aggressive passing attack, primarily pocket passing, up tempo, in rhythm, not necessarily short. With the ZBS game as the compliment. And then shift gears to the ZBS stuff to protect a lead. Its clearly the more conservative approach.

Thats what he did with Elway, and with Cutler to a lesser extent. The Defense was so poor with Cutler that the offense often had to stay more aggressive. With a guy like Plummer who "sucks" Shanny could never really open up the offense, and was forced to use the ZBS more predominately. He did have to manage the game with Jake.

Sorry to get off the topic.

My only suggestion would be more than one game from the QB's, maybe there worst, median, and best games? It's difficult to judge a QB on one day, when said QB can either be totally out of it, or in the zone.

I agree.

But if people barely post on 1 game then i doubt they'll post on multiple games but you are right.

Maybe other posters (*ahem*) can add and breakdown some other games?

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 09:39 PM ----------

Shanahan likes to build a lead with an aggressive passing attack, primarily pocket passing, up tempo, in rhythm, not necessarily short. With the ZBS game as the compliment. And then shift gears to the ZBS stuff to protect a lead. Its clearly the more conservative approach..........Sorry to get off the topic.

I guess we'll agree to disagree b/c there's a lot about your post that i believe is inaccurate.

Any thoughts on Locker from this game?

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 09:51 PM ----------

The flag on him is when he is in the pocket, there are a few examples on the tape where he misses high or wide. Every QB has a couple of throws a game they would like back but Locker's inconsistency in the pocket is a concern.

You know i just didn't see Locker miss any more throws then I would consider normal for a QB.

We've broken down a Gabbert game before and like any QB he also missed some throws.

Maybe as we review other games, Locker's inconsistency or as some posters have mentioned his 'inaccuracy' will be evident but i didn't see it enough this game to label it a concern.

From this game I saw a QB in command of his offense, who not only throws well but is very accurate on the run and has some play making ability.

Archived