Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

I wish Locker came out last year...he was the favorite to go #1, which means Bradford would have been there at #4. Basterd.

But we can land Locker this year. With his intanglables and athleticism Shanny can make him his own Brett Elway.

Locker will for sure go in the first so I think those hoping he falls to the 2nd should ease back a bit.

Personally I'd like to see us trade back from 10, get an extra 2nd round pick and grab Locker in the middle of the first. I'm worried though that after Gabbert and Newton go quickly that Minnesota may grab locker at 12. If that happens I'd rather see us use our picks in the first 2 rounds on other needs than QB.

Best scenario is to trade down. Although I would hate to see the Rams get Julio Jones and have him paired with Sam Bradford for the next 13 years... that will be deadly for them and serve as a constant reminder of what we passed up. I'm a fan of Julio's, been watching him for three years...he's the truth! But, we need more picks and if the oppurtunity is there to do so then by all means lets do so. By trading our tenth pick for a pick a few spots lower would almost guarantee us recieveng a 2nd or 3rd rounder in return to offset the value. If we don't recieve a 2nd we will more than likely get 2-3 extra picks due to the value. If I remember correctly our pick is worth 1300 points. We could then get Locker later in the first and still have ammo to go after more qaulity in the draft. This of course is contingent on a willing partner to trade down with. I have faith though casue if all the analyst keep projecting Julio Jones to us... then this will only get St. Louis or someone squirrely enough to want to make some kind of deal. Funny thing is... I keep thinking that Cam Newton isn't gonna go as high as most expect. Marvin Lewis may be on a short leash in Cinci and if that is the case he may be in a win now mode. Meaning he won't have time to deal with a rookie QB.

Can anyone give updates how he is doing in his pro day please?

He's about to start throwing soon.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 04:09 PM ----------

27/27 so far, looking very good...but that's to be expected. Indoors, 3 familiar receivers, no center, etc. Looking very good though. Throwing some very good looking NFL throws.

And wow, the velocity. These balls are *this* close to bouncing off his receivers hands even on the intermediate-deep routes.

Can anyone give updates how he is doing in his pro day please?

He threw the ball on the money all over the field.

Only missed a couple 60-yard bombs, and even those hit his men in the fingertips.

Commentator Brock Huard said he's never seen him look so good.

I'd say he helped himself.

Jake Locker looked extremely good today. He was accurate and "fluid" today. He had 2 incompletions out of 45 attempts. He also didn't just throw the easy stuff.

He threw the deep outs and the skinny posts and the bombs. His only incompletions came on two 50 yard bombs and both could have been caught. If it were a game, a receiver would have laid out for one of his bombs and the other hit the finger tips.

I'd love to be able to trade back and pick up this kid. I think he is going to have a very good career.

Shows that when he puts the work in and isn't pressured too much, he should be able to make every single throw.

If we were to trade back and take Locker, we'd have to make improving the OL our main priority, though. He's great on the run, sure, but he was inconsistent in college because he never had time...and you don't want that footwork to revert under pressure.

You can still see flaws in those mechanics though. What I was glad to see was improvement.

I was worried that he would continue to show bad mechanics in his proday. Even though he's still not perfect, I did like to see he's getting over that baseball throwing motion.he did revert back to that on a few throws that where overthrown.

he's going in the first round without a question

Nobody trades back to draft a franchise QB. If it's a no at #10, it's a no.

I completely agree. Full disclosure, I am not a huge fan of Locker. But I would rather draft him at 10, knowing that Shanahan feels that strongly about him, than trade back and get him a bit later with the idea that "he's a better value there."

If we are talking about a franchise QB, and you start talking about value, I think the bigger picture is being lost.

Nobody trades back to draft a franchise QB. If it's a no at #10, it's a no.

If there's a way to trade back to 14 and still grab him, while also grabbing a 3rd in the process, that's genius. But that's assuming that the Vikings don't take him at 12, and I don't think we can assume that.

What we can be pretty sure of, is that all the insiders have consistently laughed at the idea of Locker at #10.

These pro days make me laugh. Does anyone have a bad proday at QB. His flaw is accuarcy in the pocket and in the pocket there are 11 angry dudes wanting to destroy him. I wonder how much pass rush he saw today. Last week there was rumours of Locker being a better prospect at safety than QB. I would love to get Locker in the second but I dont want to reach on a player that has major flaws on tape and not great in shorts against zero pass rush.

After watching path to the draft on NFL network. It sounds like Locker actually dropped down the draft on Charles Davis and Charly Casserly's boards. They said he had poor ball placement and neither said they would draft him in the first. Davis said maybe a late 2nd and Casserly wouldn't touch him till the third.

---------- Post added March-30th-2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

Davis said he has moved Ponder ahead of Locker

you dont get him at 10 if you are all but certain you can get him a few spots later. given the skins many needs, thats the smart move. the key is that shanallen has to be sure they can get him later. shanny appears to be good at not letting anyone know what hes doing.

Archived