Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

Don't beat yourself up, my five year old son loves your posts :)

Hah! Nice.

Locker is a project. Why shoe-horn a player onto the roster instead of waiting for next year? I believe this will prove out to be a relatively weak QB class, but it seems like teams are scrambling for a QB this year.

Wait it out. Build the team in other areas. Next year draft a QB that will have a better chance at early success with a better supporting cast and an entire offseason.

Don't beat yourself up, my five year old son loves your posts :)

Lol, and I thought I fixed it.

Hey, the QB eval thread has been updating and I'm waiting for someone *cough* to fire the first salvo and spark a discussion on some of the grades.

I figured Tris would but its been mum in that thread.

I don't want to be the first to question someone elses grade (and I do have some questions lol)

But, I figured someone *ahem* would by now.

After all the reading, all the mock polls, all the talking heads, I have a pretty strong opinion that Shanahan is going to pick Locker with his first round pick. I would not be surprised if he tries to move back to pick up draft choices, but I think Locker is a "lock" to be a Redskins. Yeah, he is probably being picked too high for his ability level. But Shanahan needs a QB. It is the MOST important position on the team; and the Skins have nothing....now or for the future. I laugh when I see talking heads and mock polls showing Julio Jones. What the hell good is a great receiver if you have no QB to give him the ball?

It's possible that Shanahan could look for Ponder or Mallet or even Dalton in the second round and use his 1st round pick for something else. I just do not see it. Locker fits the mold of almost everything Shanahan values in a QB and Shanahan is arrogant/confident enough to believe he can fix the little things that affect Locker's accuracy in the pocket.

It's Locker.....book it.

I fully agree with you and have for some time, despite the fact that I think Locker is never going to get it. I think Shanahan sees John Elway and we're going to draft him at #10.

The ESPN article was great. I've seen Locker play in person a couple times and thought he was a great athlete playing QB, not a great QB who is also a great athlete. His instincts in the pocket always looked off to me. But he does have great physical skills and maybe he can turn into a good pro. But I don't see Shanny taking him at ten -- way too many question marks.

Lol, and I thought I fixed it.

Hey, the QB eval thread has been updating and I'm waiting for someone *cough* to fire the first salvo and spark a discussion on some of the grades.

I figured Tris would but its been mum in that thread.

I don't want to be the first to question someone elses grade (and I do have some questions lol)

But, I figured someone *ahem* would by now.

I will assume that prod is aimed at me and take a look tonight and offer some pearls of what I fondly imagine are wisdom!

Coach Mike, don't be "that guy " that passes on that guy /\ /\ /\

I have that feeling too Coach.

Hail.

me too friend...

But the redskin prophets around here say we won't even take a look at him in the draft.

As much as I really like TK, LL56 this is not the same FO as the VC leaky sieve FO where our intentions were clear as glass . I still have a feeling we will look at Jake - I don't buy the - oh we are looking for an OLB - Sure it is a priority but not necessary one we will address in the draft at least not in the first round . I also came accross this;

http://draftheadquarters.com/dhqblogs/

And they are pretty sure that the Skins are going to walk away with a QB in the first 2 rounds of the draft . I also personally think if you need a franchise QB you take the guy you like in the first round - If you take someone in the second then at least someone in the FO and coaching staff is not sold on the guy . There is also something Coach Shannahan said about - if you a first round grade on a guy and he is is sitting there for you to pick up in the first you go and get him - If you let him slip by then you are saying you have no faith in your instincts and scouting staff .

I think they still have a first round grade on Locker and he will be the choice at 10 and I would be happy with that even over Quinn and definatly over Jones . A WR with a few exceptions just is not worth a 1st round pick . The impact they can have is possibly the least impact of any player on offense ... Jones has questionable hands and reminds me a lot of Rod Gardner ...

I also personally think if you need a franchise QB you take the guy you like in the first round - If you take someone in the second then at least someone in the FO and coaching staff is not sold on the guy . There is also something Coach Shannahan said about - if you a first round grade on a guy and he is is sitting there for you to pick up in the first you go and get him - If you let him slip by then you are saying you have no faith in your instincts and scouting staff .

I think they still have a first round grade on Locker and he will be the choice at 10 and I would be happy with that even over Quinn and definatly over Jones...

I don't think that's how Shanahan or any other coach view the draft at all.

In fact I think its the opposite of what you're saying.

If they want a QB they would pwant to take a one of the QBs they like at a position where it represents a value a to them.

They're banking on their ability to evaluate talent better then other teams in the hopes to get a player they consider a higher round talent in a later round based on other teams incorrect grades.

If that makes sense?

Its like this if they have a 1st round grade on Locker/Dalton/Ponder they hope other teams do not.

Then they can take a QB they like at 41 without having to trade up.

I also think the chances are dicey that they can stand pat at 41 and expect Locker/Mallett/Dalton/Ponder to be there.

I've thought Locker was the pick all along, but wouldn't be upset with Quinn. I also would understand Jones now. Give the receiver a year to get acclomated so that he's a better target for one of the QBs next year.

Of course, this year could be all Locker needs to get ready. With this year being all jacked up, who cares? Would love to trade with St. Louis and get Locker at 14 while picking up an extra pick.

If they want a QB they would pwant to take a one of the QBs they like at a position where it represents a value a to them.

They're banking on their ability to evaluate talent better then other teams in the hopes to get a player they consider a higher round talent in a later round based on other teams incorrect grades.

If that makes sense?

Its like this if they have a 1st round grade on Locker/Dalton/Ponder they hope other teams do not.

I also think the chances are dicey that they can stand pat at 41 and expect Locker/Mallett/Dalton/Ponder to be there.

One of the most second-guessed areas, where so many risks are taken, is the NFL draft. Each April, some of the picks baffle me, but none more so than at quarterback. Of all the players and positions available in the draft, quarterback is easily the worst evaluated.

It’s amazing to me how some teams will take a quarterback in the first round when you have him ranked as a fifth-round talent. I’ve seen players we’ve had ranked as fourth-round picks go in the top ten. It is why I love to play the odds with quarterbacks.

During the 1993 draft, while I was still with the 49ers, we had Michigan’s Elvis Grbac rated as the draft’s second-best quarterback, behind Washington State’s Drew Bledsoe and just ahead of Notre Dame’s Rick Mirer and Washington’s Mark Brunell. San Francisco was loaded at quarterback and I made my pitch for Elvis in the fourth round, the fifth round, the sixth round and the seventh - which gives you an idea of how much pull I had there. The 49ers did not take Elvis until the eighth round.

Elvis went on to help the 49ers get to Super Bowl XXIX and later, as a free agent, left San Francisco to become the starting quarterback in Kansas City. But that draft left me with something more than a strong relationship with Elvis. It left me with the idea that if you see a quarterback in the third, fourth, or fifth round whom you feel is a second-round talent, why wait to take him? The odds are with you."

Then why did Shanahan trade up (twice) to draft Jay Cutler?

My guess? He suspected that he other teams valued Cutler at or near where the Bronco's had him and it would be the last chance to get a player he wanted.

Also, he was pushed even more by his falling out with Jake Plummer so there was pressure for him to get a QB that could start sooner then later.

My guess? He suspected that he other teams valued Cutler at or near where the Bronco's had him and it would be the last chance to get a player he wanted.

Also, he was pushed even more by his falling out with Jake Plummer so there was pressure for him to get a QB that could start sooner then later.

So, could you not say the same about this year:

He suspected that he other teams valued Ponder/Dalton at or near where the Redskin's had him and it would be the last chance to get a player he wanted. (Trading up from 41 to 28/33 etc).

Also, he was pushed even more by his falling out with Donovan McNabb so there was pressure for him to get a QB that could start sooner then later.

So, could you not say the same about this year:

He suspected that he other teams valued Ponder/Dalton at or near where the Redskin's had him and it would be the last chance to get a player he wanted. (Trading up from 41 to 28/33 etc).

That's pretty much what I said:

My point was that passing on a player to take a player in the second round doesn't mean that the staff doesn't like the player.

I also personally think if you need a franchise QB you take the guy you like in the first round - If you take someone in the second then at least someone in the FO and coaching staff is not sold on the guy . There is also something Coach Shannahan said about - if you a first round grade on a guy and he is is sitting there for you to pick up in the first you go and get him - If you let him slip by then you are saying you have no faith in your instincts and scouting staff

Ok. Poor reading comprehension then.

I am just trying to further explain why 1) I think there are going to be more 1st round QBs than popularly thought, and 2) We probably need to trade to get someone in that second tier of QBs.

The "getting a QB who can start sooner than later" thing is an interesting point as well. I wonder how much that would factor into the equation when they are deciding on who to go after. A guy like Locker has great physical gifts but he will definitely need some time and coaching before he is ready to start, whereas a guy like Ponder (while having pretty good athleticism) may not have the same physical traits or "upside" but is quite possibly the most "pro ready" QB in this class and could end up as an excellent NFL QB.

If we are adding multiple FA linemen (in addition to a 30 year old FS), and even considering drafting a RB, we are probably also looking for a QB who can be the 2012 opening day starter with ease.

(We are looking to fill as many holes as possible it would seem. To then turn around and draft a multiyear project would be muddled thinking at best and plain stupid at worst).

The "getting a QB who can start sooner than later" thing is an interesting point as well. I wonder how much that would factor into the equation when they are deciding on who to go after. A guy like Locker has great physical gifts but he will definitely need some time and coaching before he is ready to start, whereas a guy like Ponder (while having pretty good athleticism) may not have the same physical traits or "upside" but is quite possibly the most "pro ready" QB in this class and could end up as an excellent NFL QB.

That's a good question, I don't think there's urgency in the sense that we would need a rookie QB to start in order to make a playoff run.

The flip side is that if we aren't in the hunt and knowing it takes a QB awhile to develop why not begin developing them with live snaps (provided there is adequate protection and talent to keep them from taking too much of a beating).

Also, I don't think that Ponder is far enough ahead of Locker in terms of being 'pro-ready' to make up for what I perceive to be a difference in throwing motion/release, arm strength and play making.

Imo if Ponder could start by opening day then imo Locker could start by mid-season.

If that makes sense?

I would generally agree with you... I get what your saying .... and I agree with you..... at every other position on the field I just think starting QB is a special case .

What I am trying to say is if you are going for a franchise QB - A guy you think is going to be the face of your franchise the guy you are willing to put both money and resources into for the the next 5 years - You need the entire coaching staff and FO on board so you do take him early - You don't wait to get value because if you think Locker is the one (for example or Ponder or Dalton) you take him when you can as soon as you can - because if you want him and wait or pass on him by trading down and how much value is there in a player you covet going to another team .

Taking a player simply because he is a highly rated QB without doing due dilligance and simply because you can because he falls to a slot you can take a flyer on him is what gets you picking Jimmy Clausen or Brady Quinn - Neither of these guys stood a chance because the FO and Coaches had absolutely no faith in them .

If you are not high on a player then don't bother on day one . Sure take a flyer in late rounds and hope you have time to develop them but just because there have been absolute gems in the late rounds doesn't make all late round players jems .

Lets put it this way if you knew what you know now and Tom Brady was in the draft - Would you seriously wait until just before the Patriots picked him to snatch him up or would you pick him up as soon as you could - just in case .

Archived