Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Jake Locker

darrelgreenie

That's fine you can disagree all you want but some of our own scouts compare him to a young donovan. His issues with footwork are identical with mcnabbs with the overstride/hop ect. Locker would be a good prospect in my mind if mike Shanahan were running the offense but he is not. Kyles offense doesn't need a mobile runningback for a qb, he needs a smart/accurate one from the pocket. Locker has displayed a lot of physical ability but has never shown it as a pure qb. Taking locker while being a 2 year project is a huge gamble with a impatient owner. Locker could fix his issues and come around but a lot of people feel it is going to be hard to rid him of the ingrained baseball mechanics.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

If your whole franchise isn't behind a young qb then its a issue.

I disagree with the comment on Kyle's offense not needed a mobile QB. I think you are correct in what it emphasizes, but mobility can only add to this offense IMO. There were also many times last year where McNabb and Grossman would try to bootleg right only to have a DE or OLB sitting on them. Those bootlegs would be a lot more succesful if we had more mobility and athleticism at the QB position.

I disagree with the comment on Kyle's offense not needed a mobile QB. I think you are correct in what it emphasizes, but mobility can only add to this offense IMO. There were also many times last year where McNabb and Grossman would try to bootleg right only to have a DE or OLB sitting on them. Those bootlegs would be a lot more succesful if we had more mobility and athleticism at the QB position.

They were sitting on those bootlegs because they didn't respect the run game. Mcnabb saw corner cats to death after the first few games for defenses and forced him to beat them from the pocket. Matt schaub isnt the most fleet of foot qb. In Houston and in dc Matt schaub,sage rosenfels, and grossman had success in this offense and how mobile are they ? Mcnabbs the most mobile but he was sat down for a qb that could beat defenses from the pocket.

Lockers inaccuracy scares me because in this league 5-6 plays win or lose a game for you and you can't miss on them.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 05:10 PM ----------

They were sitting on those bootlegs because they didn't respect the run game. Mcnabb saw corner cats to death after the first few games for defenses and forced him to beat them from the pocket. Matt schaub isnt the most fleet of foot qb. In Houston and in dc Matt schaub,sage rosenfels, and grossman had success in this offense and how mobile are they ? Mcnabbs the most mobile but he was sat down for a qb that could beat defenses from the pocket.

Lockers inaccuracy scares me because in this league 5-6 plays win or lose a game for you and you can't miss on them.

Interesting fact:

From the research I found, Matt Schaub has the tenth highest career completion percentage in college football from 2000 to present. A lot of the guys ahead of Schaub ran spreads. If I recall correctly Schaub ran a pro-style offense at UVA, correct?

Interesting fact:

From the research I found, Matt Schaub has the tenth highest career completion percentage in college football from 2000 to present. A lot of the guys ahead of Schaub ran spreads. If I recall correctly Schaub ran a pro-style offense at UVA, correct?

That would be correct. The spread vs pro style argument doesn't fit when you analyze Dalton. Dalton had pro style line Calls,audibles,site adjust, routes, and progressions. Tcu is a very dynamic spread type offense but a lot of pro style attributes based on the qb.

BIO: Posted passing numbers of 69.7 percent/2,952/18/10 as a senior with an efficiency rating of 141.03, even though he suffered an injury to his passing shoulder during the first game of the season. ACC Offensive Player of the Year as a junior after starting 14 games and throwing for 68.9 percent/2,976/28/7. Started six games under center as a sophomore and compiled 58.3 percent/1,524/10/8.

POSITIVES: Competitive signal-caller best in the short or intermediate passing game. Quickly sets up on the pocket, patient and buys time. Good field awareness, knows where his receivers are on the field and takes a hit in order to get the pass off. Zips the ball into the seam, accurate on the crossing patterns and puts touch on throws when necessary.

NEGATIVES: Cannot escape the rush or make throws on the move. Lacks the pinpoint pass placement and loses accuracy the further out to the flanks he is asked to throw the ball. Lacks a big league arm and not accurate with the deep pass.

ANALYSIS: An efficient signal-caller that plays within himself, Schaub has a nice feel for the position and makes good decisions in the pocket. Has limitations but should fit in nicely as a third-stringer.

PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

Yeah, Schaub ran a pro style at UVA. Here is that complete list BTW.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

Connskins and I had a similar discussion:

I don't think its logical to use a player's worst year as the sum of their career.

I think the notion that McNabb is a flawed player that needed to have his 'weaknesses' masked holds little merit if you look at his career.

Also, the reasons behind McNabb's soon to be departure from the Burgundy and Gold imo go beyond what happened on the football field because if you look at other QBs that changed teams they sometimes struggle in the 1st year (13 games in our case) and improve the following season.

Just because you make a comparison doesn't mean the 2 players being compared are exactly the same. I 've seen Locker compared to Elway, Cutler and Steve Young and I would be just as wrong in assuming he would be exactly like them as I would if I assumed he would be exactly like McNabb.

Your assuming that your perception of McNabb's 'flaws' was the reason for McNabb's departure and that it was some 'flaw' in his skillset (that they somehow couldn't see with 10+ years of tape before they got him) rather then one of these leaked and/or other plausible reasons: personality clash with Kyle, rigidity, resistance to change, lack of cardiovascular endurance, work ethic, inability to pick-up the new offense/run 2-minture drill etc.

To me the difference and benefit between the way Kyle and Mike run the offense is that Mike's requires or excells under the direction of a QB w/ elite physical talent (i.e. velocity/mobility) where Kyle's does not.

In most cases a good QB albeit less physically gifted can be found outside the 1st 2 rounds; which is a good thing because it reduces the resources that need to spent on the QB position.

But in this draft it appears that the cost for all QBs has been inflated by the demand to the point where the cost for a physically gifted QB may only be marginally more expensive then the cost of a QB w/ average physical skills.

To me the difference and benefit between the way Kyle and Mike run the offense is that Mike's requires or excells under the direction of a QB w/ elite physical talent (i.e. velocity/mobility) where Kyle's does not.

In most cases a good QB albeit less physically gifted can be found outside the 1st 2 rounds; which is a good thing because it reduces the resources that need to spent on the QB position.

But in this draft it appears that the cost for all QBs has been inflated by the demand to the point where the cost for a physically gifted QB may only be marginally more expensive then the cost of a QB w/ average physical skills.

I just want to point out that Kyle hasn't won a SB and Mike has. You can be a good team with a less gifted QB, but you need a very gifted QB to be a great team.

I just want to point out that Kyle hasn't won a SB and Mike has. You can be a good team with a less gifted QB, but you need a very gifted QB to be a great team.

Kyle hasn't won a Super Bowl because the only draft picks worth anything the Texans have put into the defense have been Mario Williams and Brian Cushing. They have the offense to be dangerous in the playoffs, but their defense is atrocious.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 06:20 PM ----------

Yeah, Schaub ran a pro style at UVA. Here is that complete list BTW.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-cmp-pct-player-career.html

Jake Locker is 233 on a list of 250...

Kyle hasn't won a Super Bowl because the only draft picks worth anything the Texans have put into the defense have been Mario Williams and Brian Cushing. They have the offense to be dangerous in the playoffs, but their defense is atrocious.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 06:20 PM ----------

Jake Locker is 233 on a list of 250...

He's also 129 out of 250 for rushing TD's, which should give you some type of inclination of what sort of offense he ran (pun intended) in Washington.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/rush-td-player-career.html

Elway: Locker resembles me

Is Jake Locker the next John Elway?

Let’s not go that far. But the Broncos’ new executive vice president of football operations did have a glowing review of the young quarterback out of Washington.

Elway held a one-hour fan forum with Broncos fans Wednesday and said there certainly are some similarities between him and Locker (via the Broncos’ official website).

“Jake Locker, if you talk about height, weight and speed, he’s probably the closest to me,” Elway said. “We’re the same height, he’s faster, probably, and heavier than I was, but when you think about play style, Jake Locker is probably the closest even though (Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick) are all very mobile themselves, too.”

The Broncos have been rumored to be looking at quarterbacks during this entire offseason, though nobody expects the team to pull the trigger on Locker with the second overall selection.

But what is interesting to note here is that the Redskins and Mike Shanahan have been linked to Locker. And our Mike Mayock said on Wednesday that he wouldn’t be shocked to see Locker end up in Washington.

“Locker likes getting out on the edge, and he’s mostly accurate off play-action rolling out right or left,” Mayock said. “That’s what Mike Shanahan’s scheme is. It’s a lot of play-action. It’s a quarterback making a decision on half the field. … If he has a chance to play early and play effectively, I think that’s the kind of system he’s set up for.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/04/21/elway-locker-resembles-me/

But what is interesting to note here is that the Redskins and Mike Shanahan have been linked to Locker. And our Mike Mayock said on Wednesday that he wouldn’t be shocked to see Locker end up in Washington.

“Locker likes getting out on the edge, and he’s mostly accurate off play-action rolling out right or left,” Mayock said. “That’s what Mike Shanahan’s scheme is. It’s a lot of play-action. It’s a quarterback making a decision on half the field. … If he has a chance to play early and play effectively, I think that’s the kind of system he’s set up for.”

I saw that as well and it really makes me wonder if maybe Shannahan jumps on him.

LL I have my worries about accuracy as well and it wouldn't bother me to pass up every QB in this year's draft; Locker included. However, one thing that McNabb and Locker don't have in common is that Locker isn't set in his ways. McNabb proved that the only system he will work with is what he did at Philly. At least Locker would be coachable. And he'd have a leg up on the position since I believe Kyle would have some say so this time; so you'd probably have a much better working relationship.

After having watched Locker with Gruden, I have a tough time believing Locker can't be great. Out of all the segments Gruden has done, Locker stands out. He was maybe the only QB to take criticism well and try to gain from it. Not to mention he looked great in the drills... Maybe better than all of the other QBs featured on this show. He did make a competitor out of a formerly 0-12 team, so I'm willing to overlook his win/loss record and some accuracy issues.

The accuracy thing might be a tell-tale indicator for some but I think the guy has too much talent to let that drop him in this draft. Remind you, I would not take a QB in this draft because of the team's urgency of finding a RT, C, and defensive players.

I would still take Kaepernick, if I were in need of a QB.

---------- Post added April-24th-2011 at 06:39 PM ----------

I think that Cutler and Mallet are the same type of QB. I think Shanny will be taking a serious look at Mallet.

No Way! Cutler is heads and shoulders above Locker. Locker is a good athlete but does not compare to Cutler's grit and the "money-in-the-bank QB". Some hate Cutler's guts, but believe me Cutler is a winner.

Archived