Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walterfootball.com Team Needs

heliKCx17

The list of needs cited by Walterfootball is about the same as I would list. I don't agree that the Skins will have the worst record in football next season but I don't expect miracles either. The Skins don't have to fill all of the needs to show improvement but there's a long way to go before the Skins get to a point where the Skins are competitive with the better teams.

The list of needs cited by Walterfootball is about the same as I would list. I don't agree that the Skins will have the worst record in football next season but I don't expect miracles either. The Skins don't have to fill all of the needs to show improvement but there's a long way to go before the Skins get to a point where the Skins are competitive with the better teams.

We were competitive with the better teams last year - we beat the Eagles, Packers and Bears who all made the playoffs and two of them are still playing. Thats not to say we were close to being a playoff team ourselves but it does suggest we were also not bottom feeders.

We were competitive with the better teams last year - we beat the Eagles, Packers and Bears who all made the playoffs and two of them are still playing. Thats not to say we were close to being a playoff team ourselves but it does suggest we were also not bottom feeders.

But then

Dallas > Colts

Browns > Saints and Patriots

Bengals > Ravens

Lions > Packers

Vikings > Eagles

Titans > Eagles

Texans > Colts and Chiefs

Broncos > Chiefs and Seahawks

Cardinals > Saints

49ers > Seahawks

I mean, just about everybody has beaten playoff teams. How accurate of a measuring stick is that?

I agree buddy.

This free agent class is too good for us to sit on the sidelines.

I agree as well, it's a great way to rebuild this team. We need to be willing to let players go too though. There are too many players on this team used to losing, we need to bring in players that aren't entrenched in the mentality that this team can't contend.

Walterfootball is right. We do have one of the most untalented squads in the NFL We literally have needs at just about every position other than TE. Allen and Shanahan aren't overpaying anyone. So, I don't see free agents flocking here. It's going to take a few good drafts to get this team on the right track. I can deal with the growing pains as long as they build the right way..

Walterfootball is right. We do have one of the most untalented squads in the NFL We literally have needs at just about every position other than TE. Allen and Shanahan aren't overpaying anyone. So, I don't see free agents flocking here. It's going to take a few good drafts to get this team on the right track. I can deal with the growing pains as long as they build the right way..

I hope you're right about not overpaying.

I mean, just about everybody has beaten playoff teams. How accurate of a measuring stick is that?

As an indicator you are a couple of players away from being a possible playoff team yourself ? Terrible.

But if you have beaten 3 playoff teams and played some other close games it suggests you are not flat out terrible and will be contending for the worst team in the NFL next year. The only team this year that was flat out bad was Carolina IMO.

Man I want us to hit free agency so hard it don't make sense. I want us to sign at least 10 guys from free agency. 2 Wrs, 4 ZBS OL, CB (if Rogers or/and Buchanon leaves), 2 LB, maybe a TE, and some more. We have so many needs, why wouldn't we hit a great free agency class like this.

Imo FA in our case should only be used when there is no starting caliber player on the team.

The ideal way to address these position of need is still via the draft.

But, if the needs cannot be addressed via the draft then we should look to FA w/ young (hopefully not big money) up and coming players.

If you sign a FA at position where we already have a starting caliber player, (especially a young one) it hinders the development of that player and all the players behind him on the depth chart e.g Joey Galloway did to Armstrong, Austin and to a lesser extent Banks.

(Not to mention the question of scheme fit and disruption of continuity from a having a large number of FAs come in)

Looking at that list makes me question the wisdom of switching to the 3-4 this past season. We went from a team with a good unit to a team with nothing but problems on both sides of the ball. We're 2-3 years from getting the players that fit the scheme these coaches want to run (because heaven forbid you craft a plan that fits the personnel you have). Assuming they don't majorly screw up with trades like they did with McNabb again. The hope I have is that the coaches last long enough to see the fruits of their labor because the worst scenario isn't failure. The worst situation is the one we've seen before, these coaches fail and Snyder hires someone that wants to run a something that once again is completely different and we start over again.

As an indicator you are a couple of players away from being a possible playoff team yourself ? Terrible.

But if you have beaten 3 playoff teams and played some other close games it suggests you are not flat out terrible and will be contending for the worst team in the NFL next year. The only team this year that was flat out bad was Carolina IMO.

The flip of that is also true though. They lost to 7 teams that did NOT make the playoffs, what does that say about the quality of players on this team?

The flip of that is also true though. They lost to 7 teams that did NOT make the playoffs, what does that say about the quality of players on this team?

Good teams, bad teams, IMO isn't the point -- didn't we set some sort of NFL record this season for most games within a close margin of points, forgot what it was specifically but if I recall it had something to do with playing close games. With the exception of 2 games, our games were competitive right to the end even though we had a monster hard schedule. It didn't really feel like we had the worst team in the NFL or a team on the verge of being the worst.

It says we lack the talent and depth to compete consistently. No argument from me we need better talent across the roster.

Im just saying that the walterfootball write up saying we could be the worst team in the NFL next year is silly especially given the size of this years free agents pool - just about anyone could go from worst to first or visa versa.

We actually have a Nt in Haynesworth for now. How and when the cba works out will determine roster changes. Players can not be traded until a new cba and we are not releasing Albert. A good percentage of players that should be ufas could be forced to be rfas as well. Albert could defiantly be here next season and forced to perform or face career suicide in terms of a high dollar contract again. Draft wise the dl,lb,ol will be addressed.

We actually have a Nt in Haynesworth for now. .

IF Ngata is a 3-4 DE then so is Haynesworth, you get his ass in shape and he could be a probowler. After this season no way does any team try to line up Haynesworth as a NT, just a poor fit for a guy who is completely undisciplined.

I still think that a lot of our problem is lacking an identity on offense, give Shanahan a solid playmaker in the 1st and an interior lineman in the 2nd and this will be a completely different team in 2011.

Thanks Addicted, MartinC, Skinsinparadise, I missed the second 7th round selection.

close, we got 7. How does that add up that we have few picks?

According to the Walterfootball we need at least QB, WR (maybe 2), 2 LB, NT, C, DE, CB, G. (9 to 12 new players). We miss very valuable rounds 3rd and 4th where we can find hidden gems (starters, reliable backups). I think it will be more difficult to find them in the 7th.

So what he's saying is the Skins will be in the running for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes in 2012?

Sign me up!

:evilg:

That is the silver lining on that particular cloud. Even of we just miss out on Luck it will be a QB rich draft next year assuming we dont take a QB early this year.

We actually have a Nt in Haynesworth for now. How and when the cba works out will determine roster changes. Players can not be traded until a new cba and we are not releasing Albert. A good percentage of players that should be ufas could be forced to be rfas as well. Albert could defiantly be here next season and forced to perform or face career suicide in terms of a high dollar contract again. Draft wise the dl,lb,ol will be addressed.

So, we shouldn't be surprised if Skins don't take a QB in this draft?

As far as FA goes i think it will benefit us from a dollars and cents perspective provided that there's so many FAs to hit the market (close to 500). So if you look at it from a supply & demand stand point then it will drive the price down for many decent players, who would usually get lucrative contracts in any other year.

Looking at that list makes me question the wisdom of switching to the 3-4 this past season. We went from a team with a good unit to a team with nothing but problems on both sides of the ball. We're 2-3 years from getting the players that fit the scheme these coaches want to run (because heaven forbid you craft a plan that fits the personnel you have).

A lot of us had these same concerns before the season even started. Either we knew more than the coaches (scary thought!) or Skins decided they had to scrap everything and start from scratch and just weren't going to tell the fans. The secret rebuild option isn't that great either because it means that the McNabb trade was wrong not only because he was the wrong fit but because it was foolish strategically to use two good draft picks for a QB that would likely be done by the time the team turned the corner.

---------- Post added January-16th-2011 at 04:36 PM ----------

It says we lack the talent and depth to compete consistently. No argument from me we need better talent across the roster.

Im just saying that the walterfootball write up saying we could be the worst team in the NFL next year is silly especially given the size of this years free agents pool - just about anyone could go from worst to first or visa versa.

Agreed. Even with all the poor management and coaching over the last ten years the Skins were never the worst team. If Luck continues to perform well next year I don't see the Skins being in the position to draft him without giving up a lot of draft picks that they cannot afford to trade.

Depressing reading from Walterfootball.com.

Heck, I've seen expansion teams with fewer holes to fill.

Still, all these asshats who keep saying BLOW THIS TEAM UP all the time, I'm sure they'll be happy - it's always easier to break something than fix it!

How stupid would it be to not blow up this team? Have you seen our record since 2007? That's a generation in NFL years. Allen's right, we are our record.

Aside from Rak and TW, the very good players we have are too old to be anything but trade bait at this point in their careers. Like I'm afraid we waited too long to trade CP, a player I love and hate to see go. Landry may be the only exception.

By the time we build a good team, Rak and TW will be in the middle of their careers at best. Want to see a good team by then? This team NEEDS to be blown up.

Archived