Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ryan Mallett Thread

Jofizz

He looks nervous in the pocket to me. He has good foot work, great size and a rocket for an arm. He doesn't seem to move around in the pocket very well, or at least comfortably. But his arm strength is impressive. Really like his mechanics. He's not a mobile guy and not a great fit for a rollout style offense, but he is a solid pocket passer. The addition of Mallett to the Redskins would mean that Kyle would need to change some aspects of the offense.

And we've seen that Kyle doesn't like to adjust the offense a lot and wants his guys who fit the scheme perfectly ala a Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert type not a guy like Mallett who is pocket passer

People keep talking mobility in Kyle's offense but look at Schaub.

But with Grossman we ran a lot of play action roll outs and did it under McNabb, and even under Schaub when I watched Houston they rolled out the pocket and as someone who watched him play at UVA he's not a terrible athlete like some are making him out to be

not directly comparing for obvious reasons but there are many NFL Qbs that have the same or less mobilty.,,,Mannings, Brady, Schaub, Palmer to name a few, his arm is a gun,,,and him kicking somebody who sacked him shows he's got some fire.

Personally kicking a player is pretty disrespectful if you ask me

People keep talking mobility in Kyle's offense but look at Schaub.

Schaub has a very good pocket presence and is mobile enough to run the roll outs.

Besides that I'd still say Luck, Gabbert and even Locker are better fits for our offensive scheme than Mallett.

Mallett does have a strong arm, has decent footwork, defintley can see the whole field, and at 6' 7" wont have to worry about passes batted down at the line of scrimmage like sexy rexy.

But I would think that Mallett would take a full year, and maybe more before he would be ready to start in the NFL.

Where as I could see Gabbert starting around midseason.

Schaub has a very good pocket presence and is mobile enough to run the roll outs.

Besides that I'd still say Luck, Gabbert and even Locker are better fits for our offensive scheme than Mallett.

Agreed people are underrating Schaub as an athlete, he's not a terrible athlete and was able to step up and show great pocket presence while Mallett has shown okay pocket presence

you/re soft, they are laying on him longer to mess with him

This game is simply echoing all the concerns people had before the game.

And his body language is just terrible right now, kicking and slapping at every OSU guy that sacks him. Not the kind of leadership you want to see in the biggest game of his career.

I'm not a Mallet guy, in fact I hope he doesn't end up with the Redskins.

But this game would look a lot different if he WRs didn't go all Rod Gardner on him

His guys are definitely not helping him out here. What do they have... 4 drops? All were for 1st Downs and one would have probably been that 80 yard TD strike. That combined with his OL being like Swiss cheese has to be pretty frustrating for him.

This will give us a good idea what his composure is like.

His guys are definitely not helping him out here. What do they have... 4 drops? All were for 1st Downs and one would have probably been that 80 yard TD strike. That combined with his OL being like Swiss cheese has to be pretty frustrating for him.

I mean if we are going to talk about WR corps not helping people then Jake Locker would be screaming for help because he's getting no help. I believe it was posted earlier in another thread they have dropped 47 passes this year for him which is a very high number

Yea, I agree. I just think he is a little to sloppy for my liking. He had a pass batted down, he's 6'7? How do you get your pass batted down at that height? He seems to crumble when rushed, has a hard time even throwing the ball away.

I would definitely liked to have seen him with better o-line/WR play tonight tho.

As it stands I have Mallett rated fifth. I'm going to watch a lot more film on all the QB candidates soon and follownthe combine closely, but tonight is not helping his case, at least in my eyes.

How is your top 5 ranked, curious to see because I have Mallett 5th as well but was curious what the top 4 was

I mean if we are going to talk about WR corps not helping people then Jake Locker would be screaming for help because he's getting no help. I believe it was posted earlier in another thread they have dropped 47 passes this year for him which is a very high number

Very true. But, I don't see how that's relevant. Malletts WR's are killing him and his team right now. He is single handedly keeping ARK in this game. I think a comeback win would go a long way in proving his intangibles. People are complaining about his scrapping with the OSU defenders, but all I see is Tom Brady out there. Even though I hate Brady, his players love him.

Archived