Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ryan Mallett Thread

Jofizz

Would you guys pick mallett or blaine gabbert??

I'm a Mallett fan and my predictioin is that he will be a Redskin next year, for multiple reasons:

1) People can say offenive line and other positions, but Shanahan is Quarterback crazy -- he loves him some good QB play. He's on record stating his interest in drafting a young one. Does that preclude him fron drafting one in the 2nd round? No, but he's also on record saying the reason they moved up and got Cutler is that they had never been in a position to draft one of the top QBs coming out. He's in a similar situation this year with the 10th overall pick.

2) As much as I love Luck, Carolina would have to be out of their mind to give the best QB prospect we've seen maybe since Manning. That means the most realistic target is the guy next after Luck.

3) I believe that guy is Mallet for several reasons: Despite the negatives, he fits the bill of a Shanahan QB better than anyone else. Is he mobile in the mold of a Steve Young? No, but the guy moves well in the pocket and pay attention tonight -- they roll and boot him quite a bit just like Shanny does with his QBs. His arm is huge and that appeals to Shanny because he can utilize the entire field. He's taken snaps and read defenses under center more than most quarterbacks not named Luck. He's less of a project than Locker, Newton and the Missouri kid and has better passing skills than any of those guys.

4. With the 10th pick and Shanny determined to get a QB, he's in a position to climb 6-7 spots if he has to in order to get the guy he wants, and IMO, that guy will be Mallett once the dust settles.

I'm a Mallett fan and my predictioin is that he will be a Redskins next year, for multiple reasons:

1) People can say offenive line and other positions, but Shanahan is Quarterback crazy -- he loves him some good QB play. He's on record stating his interest in drafting a young one. Does that preclude him fron drafting one in the 2nd round? No, but he's also on record saying the reason they moved up and got Cutler is that they had never been in a position to draft one of the top QBs coming out. He's in a similar situation this year with the 10th overall pick.

2) As much as I love Luck, Carolina would have to be out of their mind to give the best QB prospect we've seen maybe since Manning. That means the most realistic target is the guy next after Luck.

3) I believe that guy is Mallet for several reasons: Despite the negatives, he fits the bill of a Shanahan QB better than anyone else. Is he mobile in the mold of a Steve Young? No, but the guy moves well in the pocket and pay attention tonight -- they roll and boot him quite a bit just like Shanny does with his QBs. His arm is huge and that appeals to Shanny because he can utilize the entire field. He's taken snaps and read defenses under center more than most quarterbacks not named Luck. He's less of a project than Locker, Newton and the Missouri kid and has better passing skills than any of those guys.

4. With the 10th pick and Shanny determined to get a QB, he's in a position to climb 6-7 spots if he has to in order to get the guy he wants, and IMO, that guy will be Mallett once the dust settles.

I don't think we'll end up with a shot at Mallett because a team like San Francisco is going to take him and I don't see Shanny moving up for him instead staying at 10 and taking Blaine Gabbert

He has all the tools but I don't like his mental make up. He's going to make himself a ton of money tongiht though like JaMarcus did.

Jamarcus Russell? Really? Okay, whatever. The guy completed 66 percent of his passess and averaged 10 yards per ATTEMPT in the toughest conference in college and did so while playing in an offense that is predicated on many intermediate and deep routes. Sometimes I think people believe what they read way too much as opposed to watching themselves and forming their own opinion.

Yeah I guess you myself and Steve are all in the haters crew then because I know Steve has reservations about him as a QB

Add Rob Rang and Wes Bunting as well. Two of the better scouts in the business.

But hey, tall, big arm? What could possibly go wrong?!?

Jamarcus Russell? Really? Okay, whatever. The guy completed 66 percent of his passess and averaged 10 yards per ATTEMPT in the toughest conference in college and did so while playing in an offense that is predicated on many intermediate and deep routes. Sometimes I think people believe what they read way too much as opposed to watching themselves and forming their own opinion.

I mean in terms of the Sugar Bowl, JaMarcus got the first overall pick locked up because of his performance on a national stage. It's definitely comparable.

Archived