Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ryan Mallett Thread

Jofizz

Shanahan is definitely a system type guy. He proved this year with the offensive line that he's willing to sit veterans (even recently signed FA vets) who don't fit his scheme. I can't see him taking a QB that doesn't fit the scheme on offense.

Thank you!!

I'll try to find the links of scouts who have talked about his work ethic and character issues

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Ryan-Mallett-worth-a-firstround-pick.html

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/why-ryan-mallett-is-overrated/

Those are two respected scouts who have both mentioned it so there must be something behind this for them to say that

Interesting. I think he'll definitely be there at #10

I will say, I do trust Shanahan's judgement. So I'll be fine if he takes him or passes on him. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a coach in the NFL I'd rather have pick me out a QB. (and I'm not necessarily a Shanahan guy)

Yea. It's almost funny how bad the WR's are playing.

This whole receiver thing IMO is getting ridiculous because every QB has games where their receivers let down the team. I'll state it again Locker's WR's dropped 47 passes this year that's an outrageous stat but everyone complains about his completion percentage and not being accurate but yet Mallett has a bad game from his receivers and its the receivers fault.

What does their 40 time have to do with pocket mobility? Just because their straight line speed is close to the same does not mean their pocket awareness is the same. Have you seen Mallett once this game roll out or extend a play outside the pocket?

Mallett has been under fire from A, B, and C gap pressure. There aren't many pocket passers that are going to be able to do much with that. And he has actually made a couple plays by avoiding the rush. But, more often then not he avoids one rusher only to be met by another immediately after.

Interesting. I think he'll definitely be there at #10

I will say, I do trust Shanahan's judgement. So I'll be fine if he takes him or passes on him. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a coach in the NFL I'd rather have pick me out a QB. (and I'm not necessarily a Shanahan guy)

How I feel as well I trust Shanny to make the right call at QB and I think it'll end up being Gabbert or Locker as the pick at QB because they fit this offense better than Mallett does

Mallett has been under fire from A, B, and C gap pressure. There aren't many pocket passers that are going to be able to do much with that. And he has actually made a couple plays by avoiding the rush. But, more often then not he avoids one rusher only to be met by another immediately after.

A bigger problem of this has been that his accuracy has been absolutely awful in the face of any pressure, no matter how small. All world passer until he has to reset.

How I feel as well I trust Shanny to make the right call at QB and I think it'll end up being Gabbert or Locker as the pick at QB because they fit this offense better than Mallett does

I need to brush up on Locker. Don't think I've ever really seen him play. I keep hearing him talked about.... scouts seem to be all over the place with him. Some have him very high, some don't... but I guess that's kind of the way it is with any QB not named Luck

You guys still feel good about Shanahan picking a QB after he had over 10 years of tape on a QB, ten years of NFL tape, and still swung and missed? Hmmm, I'm just sayin....

This whole receiver thing IMO is getting ridiculous because every QB has games where their receivers let down the team. I'll state it again Locker's WR's dropped 47 passes this year that's an outrageous stat but everyone complains about his completion percentage and not being accurate but yet Mallett has a bad game from his receivers and its the receivers fault.

If your watching this game you would know that Ark would be winning if there were no drops. Period. They are not only dropping balls but they are dropping key 1st down conversions and TD's. When your OL is giving you no help you need the rest of your team to step up. Thats just not happening.

We all know how bad Lockers WR's have been. But, by discounting how bad Arkansas WR's have been your basically saying that Locker's failures can't be put on his WR's either. If that was the consensus on Locker then he wouldn't even be a top 10 QB right now.

I need to brush up on Locker. Don't think I've ever really seen him play. I keep hearing him talked about.... scouts seem to be all over the place with him. Some have him very high, some don't... but I guess that's kind of the way it is with any QB not named Luck

Well some who don't like him don't look at his supporting cast and say based on his stats he's been terrible but for those who have watched him play he's actually a good prospect who is really the only player that carries the offense for a team who upset a highly favored Nebraska team. He's someone I'd like to have on my team because he's a warrior at QB and with the right system and coach he can be a great franchise QB

If your watching this game you would know that Ark would be winning if there were no drops. Period. They are not only dropping balls but they are dropping key 1st down conversions and TD's. When your OL is giving you no help you need the rest of your team to step up. Thats just not happening.

We all know how bad Lockers WR's have been. But, by discounting how bad Arkansas WR's have been your basically saying that Locker's failures can't be put on his WR's either. If that was the consensus on Locker then he wouldn't even be a top 10 QB right now.

I am watching this game and I'm also seeing a QB who isn't making good passes as well, as soon as he's pressured he leads to a bad pass thats inaccurate. You can blame the WR's but Mallett is also making some terrible throws and not helping out as well.

A bigger problem of this has been that his accuracy has been absolutely awful in the face of any pressure, no matter how small. All world passer until he has to reset.

True. He does have alot of trouble resetting and moving onto his next read if he can't step up.

Edit: LOL. Case and point.

I'll try to find the links of scouts who have talked about his work ethic and character issues

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Ryan-Mallett-worth-a-firstround-pick.html

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/why-ryan-mallett-is-overrated/

Those are two respected scouts who have both mentioned it so there must be something behind this for them to say that

If you read Pro Football Weekly, it seemed like they were making a comment about Mallet's immaturity, work ethic or attitude almost every issue for a while there.

Archived