Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Ryan Mallett Thread

Jofizz

I think a fair argument against your stance is that you are making the case for a player like Locker or Newton who have shown the athletic ability to succeed in Shannys offense but none of the decision making, accuracy, or mechanics to succeed in really any offense.

I personally would rather a guy I knew could be a pocket passer rather then a guy that could be a great QB in an offense if the stars align. To each his own.

Im not making a case for any QB. It will cost too much for Luck. If Shanahan sees Locker or Newton or Gabbert as the franchise QB for this team then I will support him. Why would you pick a player that is as opposite what this scheme calls for? Vinny is that you??

If we going off of Arm Strength then why didn't Kyle Boller work out in the NFL. Had no issues with character and could throw the ball 60 yards from his knees and didn't work out because he wasn't a good player. Arm Strength has zero to do with how a QB will end up its a plus but isn't the end of the world

A does not equal B my friend. He could be the next Boiler or he could be the next Favre, a strong arm does mean something.

For the umpteenth time... Matt Schaub! Regardless of what anybody says, he is not an athletic QB and I don't see him doing much more then what Mallett could do with the right coaching. Again, I am not a Mallett lover, but he is getting some unneccessary criticism/hate.

The only thing I hate about him is his d-bag attitude. He has an amazing arm and will make some team really happy if they develop him properly. Let me ask you this? If Mike and Kyle would not change his offense for a proven vet like McNabb (and Im not a #5 lover or hater) why would they for a rookie??

pryor has done it with his arm and his legs tonight. He's also been very smart with the football. If he does come out I'd love to take him in one of the later rounds (I think he will come out rather than face suspension. but who knows we'll see)

Im not making a case for any QB. It will cost too much for Luck. If Shanahan sees Locker or Newton or Gabbert as the franchise QB for this team then I will support him. Why would you pick a player that is as opposite what this scheme calls for? Vinny is that you??

See post 249. Or just resort to the lame and overly used "Vinny, is that you?".

pryor has done it with his arm and his legs tonight. He's also been very smart with the football. If he does come out I'd love to take him in one of the later rounds (I think he will come out rather than face suspension. but who knows we'll see)

He's gonna stay Zoony, he's not NFL ready yet and many scouts will tell him that.

The only thing I hate about him is his d-bag attitude. He has an amazing arm and will make some team really happy if they develop him properly. Let me ask you this? If Mike and Kyle would not change his offense for a proven vet like McNabb (and Im not a #5 lover or hater) why would they for a rookie??

Kyle did have Matt Schaub right? Pretty much a clone of Mallett, no??

McShay said it best earlier and I usually don't ever listen to what McShay says but Pryor would make a huge mistake coming out. He needs those 7 games next year to continue to become a better passer and coming out now would do more harm than good

For the umpteenth time... Matt Schaub! Regardless of what anybody says, he is not an athletic QB and I don't see him doing much more then what Mallett could do with the right coaching. Again, I am not a Mallett lover, but he is getting some unneccessary criticism/hate.

What about Schaub? He is more athletic then Mallett. Whats the point?

The Mcnabb reference honestly hurts your case. They showed that the offense could be ran more effectively with a less athletic but competent QB (Rex).

He's gonna stay Zoony, he's not NFL ready yet and many scouts will tell him that.

Not sure why anyone is calling it one way or the other right now. Analysts are saying what they think he should do, not what he will do. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come out. (and I don't necessarily disagree that it would be a mistake for him.)

Not sure why anyone is calling it one way or the other right now. Analysts are saying what they think he should do, not what he will do. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him come out. (and I don't necessarily disagree that it would be a mistake for him.)

Tressel and Pryor have both publicly stated that he is returning, along with the other suspended players.

While it woun't be the first time a college player changes his mind if he does leave, right now he is staying.

can you expand on this? Do you have some links to some stories or something?

I'll try to find the links of scouts who have talked about his work ethic and character issues

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Is-Ryan-Mallett-worth-a-firstround-pick.html

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/why-ryan-mallett-is-overrated/

Those are two respected scouts who have both mentioned it so there must be something behind this for them to say that

The Mcnabb reference honestly hurts your case. They showed that the offense could be ran more effectively with a less athletic but competent QB (Rex).

No doubt Rex knew the offense better then #5 but is Rex the answer? No. He is a capable back up but if you are drafting a franchise QB at #10 overall you go with undoubtedly the QB that fits what you are looking for. Not taking someone with the hopes that you can totally change his whole makeup.

WRs making a decent but unspectacular game look like a bad game from Mallett.

His counting stats should be higher than what they end up at, but his flaws have shone through as much as his attributes, regardless of his WRs' play tonight.

Very true. Schaub ran a 4.9 and Mallet runs a 5.1. Talk about night and day. Thats like Rich Eisen compared to... Terrence Cody.

What does their 40 time have to do with pocket mobility? Just because their straight line speed is close to the same does not mean their pocket awareness is the same. Have you seen Mallett once this game roll out or extend a play outside the pocket?

Archived