Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nearly 1 in 4 fails military exam

Hunter44

Wait...is this article talking about the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery)? I took that in high school (the whole school took it) and it was the EASIEST test I ever took...Scored in the 96th percentile on it, and that's WITH probably totally bombing the entire "mechanical/electrical" parts of it, which I know little to nothing about.

If this isn't talking about the ASVAB, then never mind :ols:

Yup. Here you go. They got full practice ASVABs on there. Lets see how you do now genius:

Here are some practice ASVAB tests for anyone who is interested: http://www.military.com/ASVAB

You gotta fill some form out but it takes 10 seconds and you don't need to put your real info if you don't want to get emails from them. Or you can just select that you are already talking to an advisor.

The AFQT is the part that people get the percentile mark for, and it is only 4 of the parts of the entire ASVAB, so any coding or electrical stuff doesn't factor into the percentile scores, just the vocab, paragraph comprehension, arithmetic reasoning and math knowledge do.

With that said, I scored an 84 on the practice AFQT in the navy office, and that was in half the time given for the actual exam. Easiest **** I have ever done.

---------- Post added December-21st-2010 at 11:51 PM ----------

Also, don't use a calculator on the practice asvab, because you can't on the regular one. Those practice ones are more difficult than the regular ASVAB, too.

I'm taking one now. I'm not gonna lie. I struggled a bit with the science portion. But I hated biology class so...

It's been like 10 years so I can't remember if they let you use a calculator or just a pencil and a piece of paper. The math is easy though.

EDIT: ^^^^ answered my question. I didn't remembering using one but I wasn't sure.

i have firsthand experience also and i agree with your assessment. it's a mixed bag. i've met some of the best people i will ever know (intelligence, personality) but also some of the worst (criminals, dumbasses). any large organization has this.

It also varies depending on the specific branch of the military.

Yup. Here you go. They got full practice ASVABs on there. Lets see how you do now genius:

Why would I retake a test I've already taken in the past? Just because you didn't like my opinion of it? I haven't looked at anything math or science related in about four years, being a history/poly-sci double major, and would undoubtedly do worse.

I wasn't trying to make or prove a point that needs to be supported by new data...I was saying that IF the test I took is the same test (or similar) that is failed by 1 in 4 people, that's crazy...because when I took it in high school, it was very easy for me. I'm a good test taker. If it isn't the same test, then nothing I'm saying applies anyways.

Calm down.

Why would I retake a test I've already taken in the past? Just because you didn't like my opinion of it? I haven't looked at anything math or science related in about four years, being a history/poly-sci double major, and would undoubtedly do worse.

I wasn't trying to make or prove a point that needs to be supported by new data...I was saying that IF the test I took is the same test (or similar) that is failed by 1 in 4 people, that's crazy...because when I took it in high school, it was very easy for me. I'm a good test taker. If it isn't the same test, then nothing I'm saying applies anyways.

Calm down.

Agreed. What would be curious to me, is how many of those 25% failees are fresh out of high school graduates.

I don't expect anyone over 30 to know logarithms, quadratic formulas, or other things like that common in Geometry, Trig, Algebra II, and Pre-calc unless they use it regularly. Similarly, I wouldn't expect most adults to know the difference between an appositive phrase and a gerund unless you are an English major.

If most of that 1 in 4 are adults, then whatever. If most of that 1 in 4 are fresh out of high school kids, then I feel quite upset about this.

I remember way back when mocking the idea that the military was the best and the brightest. Speaking from my own firsthand experience. And I got absolutely DESTROYED by everyone on here.

Aren't you missing the point? The military turns these people away. In other words they are not in the Military. I imagine they would then drag down the average intelligence for Civilians.

I have a GED:

I scored a 121 GT with the average at 111

this was after partying all night and falling asleep at the recruiter door in woodbridge shopping center when they dropped me off around 6am-8am.

I put my head down after every segment trying to catch some rest..

Its not horribly difficult if you are sober.

This article is more than about passing and failing the test. It's also about ineligible recruits.

The military exam results are also worrisome because the test is given to a limited pool of people: Pentagon data shows that 75 percent of those aged 17 to 24 don't even qualify to take the test because they are physically unfit, have a criminal record or didn't graduate high school.

The 25% failure rate is the average amongst all test takers, here's the breakdown along racial lines.

The study shows wide disparities in scores among white and minority students, similar to racial gaps on other standardized tests. Nearly 40 percent of black students and 30 percent of Hispanics don't pass, compared with 16 percent of whites. The average score for blacks is 38 and for Hispanics is 44, compared to whites' average score of 55.

These kids failing has nothing to do with the Feds. I believe that it starts at home and ends in school. We as a country need to start getting are collective crap together....

Lol, na. I was trying to bait someone into taking the 230 question practice test. Sorry I jumped on you.

Actually, I'm thinking about doing a practive test just to kill time. Work is absolutely dead today. What are the parameters here...no calculator? Anything else I should know?

Im reading the article and I can not understand how 1 in 4 failing a test for the military = poor public schools?

1) How do you know which % of those people that took the test (and failed) went to public school vs private or home school?

2) How do you even know they are HS graduates that took it? How many of them have A GED?

3) Couldn't this be more of a reflection of who is taking the test to join the military vs ALL those that graduated HS?

Seems a huge jump to a conclusion that says because 1 in 4 that failed a test to join the military that proves our public schools are in bad shape.

You gotta fill some form out but it takes 10 seconds and you don't need to put your real info if you don't want to get emails from them. Or you can just select that you are already talking to an advisor.

I filled out a form with a bunch of fake info, but now I'm being asked for an e-mail address and password as if I'm a member. I don't even remember what fake e-mail I put in. Do you actually have to sign up just to take a practive test?

It does,as well as those that do not.

Didn't it used to be taken by all public school students?

added

These are students near earning a high school diploma:ols:

When I was in high school you had to select to take it. Most of the "smart" kids didn't take it.

When I was in high school you had to select to take it. Most of the "smart" kids didn't take it.

I think it was mandated here but you could opt out...too damn long ago to remember

I have to admit I was surprised my kids took it(and enlisted) despite having what I thought were better options

Im reading the article and I can not understand how 1 in 4 failing a test for the military = poor public schools?

1) How do you know which % of those people that took the test (and failed) went to public school vs private or home school?

I think that private schoolers tend to go to college and those that don't are in the 3/4 of students who pass the test. I highly doubt a private school grad is going to FAIL this test. lol
2) How do you even know they are HS graduates that took it? How many of them have A GED?
I fail to see the point. Isn't a GED just as good as a HS diploma?
3) Couldn't this be more of a reflection of who is taking the test to join the military vs ALL those that graduated HS?

Agreed, but even if you give that, it's pretty sad how many are not physically fit enough to even take the test and out of those who are, a 1/4 fail it.

Seems a huge jump to a conclusion that says because 1 in 4 that failed a test to join the military that proves our public schools are in bad shape.
Yes and no, when I was in school you would not graduate if you failed gym class. Now how is 3/4 of the available men and women not physically fit enough to even take the test? The fact that we lag far behind other countries in the sciences is telling. Like I said before, I believe it starts in the home and ends in the school.

Archived