Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nearly 1 in 4 fails military exam

Hunter44

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this since I took one of the tests for fun while I was eating lunch. I'll admit up front to cheating slightly. On some of the math stuff, I layed out in my mind what I would do to solve the problem, then used a calculator to actually do it, since I didn't want to be scribbling stuff out at my desk and have my boss wonder what the hell I was doing. Regardless, I'm fairly confident in my ability to write out math problems, so I don't think I raised my score anymore than I would have using pencil and paper. This is what I got:

General Science - 17 out of 25

Arithmetic Reasoning - 27 out of 30

Word Knowledge - 28 out of 35

Paragraph Comprehension - 15 out of 15

Mathematics Knowledge - 22 out of 25

Electronics Information - 11 out of 20

Auto and Shop Information - 14 out of 25

Mechanical Comprehension - 16 out of 25

Assembling Objects - 15 out of 16

If anyone cared, I'd post some of the ones I got wrong. Though I thought some of the questions were worded poorly, my only real qualm with this whole thing is that it doesn't tell you what you'd be a best fit as in the military, like those tests they give you in middle school. I wanted to know if I was qualified to be a helicopter mechanic, or something like that.

Though I thought some of the questions were worded poorly, my only real qualm with this whole thing is that it doesn't tell you what you'd be a best fit as in the military, like those tests they give you in middle school. I wanted to know if I was qualified to be a helicopter mechanic, or something like that.

They inform you of what you are qualified for...in general whatever they need ;)

For the Air Force they have minimum scores to even qualify to enter certain career fields.

The military is a cross section of the population. They have the same number of

good and great people and the same number of idiots. Only difference being that

our idiots are willing to go somewhere and fight for their country.

I was looking up some of their score conversion tables...it looks like I'd have a pretty good chance of testing out as a Category I recruit, a damned genius I tell you. Thankfully, it looks like those calculations stick to the math and verbal sections and ignore the fact that I don't know dick about electronics/auto/mechanical stuff, and only got scores better than 50% by educated guessing.

What kind of questions are included in this section???

Hard to explain. Basically they show you pieces of a picture or pieces of an object, then a series of objects, and you need to choose the one that the pieces would actually make. Usually one or two of the answers can be immediately eliminated but you do have to pay attention.

Scored in 90s in every category with a 96 in electrical on my Air Force ASVAB, minus the 56 I got in mechanical. Guess which job I have?

That's pretty good. Someone said earlier in this thread that the actual tests given are easier than the practice ones online. Makes me curious what I'd get if I took the real one, but I won't find out since I have no interest in joining the military. I can pretty much be assured that my mechanial and electrical scores wouldn't improve :ols:

Edit: Here's a list of jobs you can get based on your score for the Marines

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blusmcasvab.htm

I was looking at those, but apparently you can't use raw scores...there are formulas and sub-tests you have to take to get an actual qualification score. I did notice that, looking across all branches, I failed miserably at any attempts to be a mechanic but scored well for counter-intelligence and jobs of that nature. I guess it's still white-collar work for me :ols:

Ya could just take the real test...there is no obligation

My daughter is a mechanic:silly:,albeit a nuclear one

Of course no matter what you qualify for there is required courses to pass ,along with other qualifiers

Our son scored a 98. No joke. He's in Korea now working his way to flight school. He got promoted to PFC in 8 months and received distinguished grad honors at AIT. The funny thing is if you talk to him you would think he is dumb as ****. Has a VERY deep voice and is a kid of few words.His SGT at AIT told him he was surprised how smart he was because when he first met him and he opened his mouth he thought he had been dropped on his head one too many times.:doh:

Instead of making fun of those that can't pass the ASVAB I happen to feel sorry for them because they want to do something with their lives.

No,though the tests have changed

http://www.official-asvab.com/history_coun.htm

The military has used aptitude tests since World War I to screen people for military service. In 1917-1918, the Army Alpha and Army Beta tests were developed so that military commanders could have some measure of the ability of their personnel. The Army Alpha was a group-administered test that measured verbal ability, numerical ability, ability to follow directions, and knowledge of information. The Army Beta was a non-verbal counterpart to the Army Alpha. It was used to evaluate the aptitude of illiterate, unschooled, or non-English speaking draftees and volunteers.

Click here to view sample Army Alpha and Army Beta items.

Both the Army Alpha and Army Beta were recognized as prototypes for subsequent group-administered cognitive ability tests. Over the course World War I, some 1.5 million recruits were given tests to identify those who were capable of serving, to classify them into military jobs, and to select those who appeared to be candidates for leadership positions.

The Army General Classification Test (AGCT) and the Navy General Classification Test (NGCT) were used in World War II in place of the Army Alpha and Army Beta tests. The AGCT was described as a test of general learning ability, and was used by the Army and Marine Corps to assign recruits to military jobs. Some 12 million recruits were tested using the AGCT during World War II. The NGCT was used by the Navy to assign recruits to military jobs. Some three million sailors were tested using the NGCT during World War II.

Additional classification tests were developed early in World War II to supplement the AGCT and the NGCT. These included:

* Specialized aptitude tests related to the technical fields (mechanical, electrical, and later, electronics)

* Clerical and administrative tests, radio code operational tests

* Language tests and driver selection tests.

At the conclusion of World War II, the individual Services developed their own separate aptitude tests for selection, all of which included vocabulary, arithmetic, and spatial relationship items.

In 1950, the Services returned to a single test, the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT). The new AFQT was modeled after the AGCT. However, unlike the AGCT and the Army Alpha and Army Beta, the AFQT was specifically designed to be used as a screening device. Thus, the AFQT was established to (a) measure examinees’ general ability to absorb military training within a reasonable length of time, and (B) provide a uniform measure of examinees’ potential usefulness in the military. The AFQT was used by all of the Services through 1972.

Whereas the AFQT was used to identify military applicants who had a reasonable probability of success in service, other Service-specific tests were required to classify them into jobs. The Army Classification Battery, the Navy Basic Test Battery, and the Airman Qualification Examination, just to name a few, were used for classification purposes from the late 1950s to the mid 1970s.

The first ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) was introduced in 1968 as part of the Student Testing Program. In 1973, the Air Force began using the ASVAB, followed by the Marine Corps in 1974. From 1973-1975, the Navy and Army used their own test batteries for selection and classification.

Archived