Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Mallett could be the guy

pram11

With the way it's looking, the Redskins won't have a shot at the top QB in the draft -- Andrew Luck -- should he come out; unless we trade up and while it's not out of the realm, it will cost a lot to pull off. That said, we could be in position to draft Ryan Mallett and that needs to start getting more attention. I've watched this kid play and he seems to fit what Shanahan is looking for in a QB. He's got great size at 6'7 and has a gun for an arm, and while you'd think a guy that size wouldn't move that well, they actually moved him around quite a bit at Arkansas. Unlike a lot of college QBs today, he has a lot of experience taking snaps and reading defenses from under center. They did a lot of the same boot and rollout action off play-action that Shanny likes and he can throw the ball on the move quite well. I'm not saying the kid is Aaron Rodgers with his feet, but he thrived in an offense that required him to throw on the move quite a bit and he can avoid rushers and move around in the pocket. The big question coming into this year was his accuracy, and he's improved in that area, completing something like 65 percent of his throws in the SEC and in an offense that asks him to make a lot of deep touch passes up the sidelines -- fades and go-routes. I've seen him compared to Big Ben with his size, and while that might be accurate, I think he moves every bit as well, if not better than Ben -- he's a little quicker with his feet and his movements are a little more sudden, IMO. So while I agree that Luck is the crown jewel of this QB draft class, let's not sleep on Mallett. I would be ecstatic to get this kid as our QB to build this team around.

So far we've had threads saying that Ponder, Locker, and Mallet could all be "Shanahan's guy". Since they are all very different QB's, with different physical attributes and different skill-sets, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of ES has no ****ing clue what a "Shanahan QB" looks like :ols:

And everyone would love to have Luck. And then you've got the Newton fans, who love his potential, upside, and freakish athleticism. Or the Devlin/Stanzi crowd, who favor getting a QB after the 1st/2nd, and developing him.

That's at least 7 QB's, all having a decent sized "following" on ES, and all who are believed to be a decent fit for our offense by at least some here.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that most of us don't know jack :)

Should make the offseason discussion GREAT though. People develop very strong biases about QB's for some reason. And years later, once careers are well under way or have crashed and burned, somebody's always wrong.

Should be fun.

We can't trade up. Even if we go back to the 4-3 we can't trade up.

1) we don't have enough ammo.

2) we have way too many holes. We need a C, G, FS, Cb, LB, NT and we already don't have a 3rd and 4th rounder

3) getting a top qb and not fixing the line will turn him into a Ramsey, a Cambell, or a Carr.

So, if the only way to get a Locker is to trade up... I don't want him.

What happend .to Jake Locker?

Dumb for coming back. He had a bad year plus scouts are taking a harder look and finding flaws. He should pull a Mark Sanchez. We are not going to get Luck. Going from 4 to 1 would be a lot. It will be worse going from 6+ to 1. Thus, Locker might be a good option. Previously rated #1 and falling, could be good deal.

BUILD THE LINE... Then worry about a QB in 2012!

You don't draft line for the sake of drafting line. If there's no one that you're interested you don't pass up on guys that you are interested in just to pick a lineman.

If we draft in the top 10, we'll probably go quarterback. Otherwise, we'll trade down, acquire more picks and draft a few big nasties. Either way I'll be happy that we're at least attempting to get better.

If there's a QB that management believes in then they should get him now...in 2010.

I understand that, but with few picks, we can not afford to trade up, if something falls in our lap (like Rak did), yes, you jump on it. But I do not see that happening this year. Not saying it CAN'T happen, but with the huge voids we have else where, makes it a far stretch.

You don't draft line for the sake of drafting line. If there's no one that you're interested you do pass up on guys that you are interested in just to pick a lineman.

If we draft in the top 10, we'll probably go quarterback. Otherwise, we'll trade down, acquire more picks and draft a few big nasties. Either way I'll be happy that we're at least attempting to get better.

Understand that. I just do not want to see a us spend say 50mil on a QB, who comes in and has to learn the new O, and gets blasted during the season trying to learn it. Not saying he HAS to start year 1, but normally, you draft a QB that high, you are expecting him to start year 1.

I also understand we can't go through a draft and just take G, C, G, T (in whichever order). I would like to see a competent O-line, who gives a new QB the best chance of producing for us. I would like to see us get better starting at the center, RG, RT positions... I think Williams is going to be money, and I think Lichtensteiger has potential.

As for attempting to get better, YES SIR:cheers:

You don't draft line for the sake of drafting line. If there's no one that you're interested you do pass up on guys that you are interested in just to pick a lineman.

Man there just seems to be a whole new tone in the conversations this week, I think everyone knows Santa is watching :silly:

While you are right that you cannot just draft line for line's sake, you cannot do the same for a QB either. Only a couple of the current college QBs will work out at best, and as desperately thin as we are at so many positions can we throw the house at one of them? You have to be sure- rocksolid, 100% leadpipe cinch sure- in order to make a move like that now.

I'm still in the "Fix other positions first" camp. If there is not a talent worthy of a #6 then maneuver into more picks and go after the C/G/NT/whatever and fix- not just "patch" but fix several slots instead of rolling the dice on QB.

Ultimately though, you are dead on, we'll all be happy if we see improvement based on competence for a change.

While you are right that you cannot just draft line for line's sake, you cannot do the same for a QB either. Only a couple of the current college QBs will work out at best, and as desperately thin as we are at so many positions can we throw the house at one of them? You have to be sure- rocksolid, 100% leadpipe cinch sure- in order to make a move like that now.

There is no such thing as a rock-solid draft choice. No matter the position. You absolutely don't do that for a QB, but there are QBs that are worthy of being selected in the top 10. The same really can't be said for lineman.

Yeah I hear ya, and I agree that we need to find "that guy" @ QB, but seriously, doesn't it seem like if we take him this time around he either sits a year (minimum) or just gets killed on the field? I have to agree with a sentiment expressed earlier, we could take a kid and make another Ramsey outta him.

Basically there are four quarterbacks who could all go in the first round - Luck, Locker, Newton and Mallett. I'm guessing the Redskins will end up drafting around the 8th overall pick, which means Luck is gone for sure. From there, I honestly have no clue which of the other three guys will still be on the board. My question is - if all three were somehow still available and Washington was dead set on taking a QB with the top spot, which one would you guys really like to see the Redskins end up with? I'm completely torn on the subject.

most scouts are not high on him. He's so tall that he's sort of gangly and slow.

in fact the most common quote about him is "He's llike a statue in the pocket" .. Does that remind you of anyone? Like Jason "Candle" perhaps?

Personally, I think we should look at Andy Dalton out of TCU. We could probably get him in the 3rd round and it would be fitting because he surpassed Sammy Baughs record number of wins at TCU.

If you watch highlight video's,.. there's an obvious drop in speed and just overall rythm of the offense when you go from Luck to Locker. I'm really not impressed at all with Locker, Newton or especially Mallet.

Dalton though impresses me.. almost as much as Luck does.

Shanny needs to take the best QB available at our pick... Although Luck would be great, we just dont have the ammo...Im personally rooting for Locker, Newton worries me.. The failures of J. Russell and Ryan Leaf also scare me when it comes to high pick QB's..that would set the franchise back even further.

Basically there are four quarterbacks who could all go in the first round - Luck, Locker, Newton and Mallett. I'm guessing the Redskins will end up drafting around the 8th overall pick, which means Luck is gone for sure. From there, I honestly have no clue which of the other three guys will still be on the board. My question is - if all three were somehow still available and Washington was dead set on taking a QB with the top spot, which one would you guys really like to see the Redskins end up with? I'm completely torn on the subject.

I have been and will continue to be on the Newton bandwagon. He's probably the rawest of the three... But I think he has the most upside and potential of Locker, Mallett and Newton. He's also the highest risk. But man, if he pans out... He's going to be a huge addition to our team.

I have been and will continue to be on the Newton bandwagon. He's probably the rawest of the three... But I think he has the most upside and potential of Locker, Mallett and Newton. He's also the highest risk. But man, if he pans out... He's going to be a huge addition to our team.

And that's the thing. I (half) jokingly posted on Twitter this weekend that with all of the tanking talk surrounding the 'Skins, we should officially begin the Can Newton watch. The guy is tearing it up at the college level like Vince Young did, but he's a much better all-around player and there are simply days when he looks like no one on the field can even keep up with the kid. Admittedly I've seen much more of him than Locker or Mallett, but I think he's who I would tend to lean towards.

He just reminds me of Tebow... Does more with his feet than his arm... Not saying that it will not translate into a great NFL Qb... But I am surprised he is compared to 'Big Ben' more so than Tebow... I guess Tebow did it longer in college ? Which ever the reason, that's just how I see Newton...

He just reminds me of Tebow... Does more with his feet than his arm... Not saying that it will not translate into a great NFL Qb... But I am surprised he is compared to 'Big Ben' more so than Tebow... I guess Tebow did it longer in college ? Which ever the reason, that's just how I see Newton...

I compare Newton to a combo of Culpepper (size), Vick (athleticism, albeit he's a bit slower), and Rivers (leadership, fire). I'm not saying he's any of those guys, but I don't see the Tebow or Roethlisberger comparisons. Newton has better throwing mechanics than Tebow and he's more athletic than Roethlisberger. Newton's footwork is not great, but that's one of the easier things to fix with a quarterback. My main concern with Newton is his ability to make reads... But if he's coached properly and he has the work ethic and drive and he figures out how to do that... Watch out NFL.

Archived