Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Mallett could be the guy

pram11

Hopefully Luck will stay at Stanford one more year.

Why? That would be worse for us. If he stays and maintains or improves his level of play he'll still be a top 3 pick, and we should improve at least a couple games next year, lowering our draft status. Thus, we would have to give up even more to get him. If he stays, the teams above us looking to go QB will probably still go QB and we'll get left with that much worse of an option at QB when our time comes.

If Luck declares, he'll go #1, or at least top 5, and hopefully we'll have a choice between a couple of the "2nd tier" guys--Mallet, Newton, and Locker.

I dont like him at all. Im not big on Arkansas QB's. I feel like if we can't get Luck we wait till next year or hope someone falls to us in the 2nd.

---------- Post added December-21st-2010 at 11:51 AM ----------

Why? That would be worse for us. If he stays and maintains or improves his level of play he'll still be a top 3 pick, and we should improve at least a couple games next year, lowering our draft status. Thus, we would have to give up even more to get him. If he stays, the teams above us looking to go QB will probably still go QB and we'll get left with that much worse of an option at QB when our time comes.

If Luck declares, he'll go #1, or at least top 5, and hopefully we'll have a choice between a couple of the "2nd tier" guys--Mallet, Newton, and Locker.

If we go into next season with Grossman and cutting a lot of the older players on our team i dont see us improving much at all. Thats just MO tho.

We have had a lot of QB predictions for this draft here, but one thing we DO know about Shanny is he wants a guy with a super work ethic. Mallet from what Ive read definitly does NOT have a good work ethic. Thats another reason why I think Cam Newtons out of the picture too. Shanny wants a QB that is going to work his butt off and stay overtime at meetings and film sessions etc. I think its down to Luck or Locker in the 1st rd. From everything Ive read and heard Mallett is super lazy, thinks his **** dont stink and is the last guy to practice and the first one to leave.

Cam Newton is just a spectacular athlete, and a freak of nature. But this is what was said of Jemarcus Russel when he came out too. then again, Newton cannot be denied his ability to win. But at the same time, the guy has so much controversy around him, and no one wants another Vince Young. But who wouldnt want another Vick? The question is, how do you decipher between which one he will be? Hopefully Shanny can make an educated guess as to whether he takes the risk on the guy, but I personally wouldnt touch him. He just seems to ****y and full of himself, and already has scandal surrounding him. I have heard his work ethic isnt all that great either. I just cant see him doing anything in the NFL, its just my opinion though.

Luck is a freaking saint and the most talented of the draft, hes like the picture perfect kid, and a lot of teams will try to trade up, but if Shanny wants him bad enough he will get him. We'd have to give up a boatload, but if this is the next Aaron Rodgers, then hes worth every penny in my opinion. Rodgers is the Packers whole team, hes almost their leading rusher too, lol. Luck reminds me a lot of Rodgers, Id kill for this guy. We'd be set for the next 10-15 yrs.

Locker is a super hard worker with a cannon, and very agile, but hes raw and needs trained, hes alot like Cutler when Cutler came out. I think this is a pick Shanny could take. Since Locker is supposedly supposed to fall, I could see Shanny trading down just a few picks to get Locker and maybe another draft pick. Locker was to go #1 overall last year, in front of Bradford but had a bad year this year in Washington. But I dont think his stock should have dropped as much as the analysts are predicting it will. The guy really is boom or bust, I can see him either being the next Rivers, or the next Alex Smith. So its all a gamble, but at the same time he may be worth it IF he lands to us and/or we can actually trade down to get him.

Will QB's like Barkley etc come out? We dont know at the time even if Cams going to come out, but it seems likely.

Theres obviously some late round QBs that look decent, Devlin, Stanzi etc; but I just think Shannys the kind of guy that goes for the pick of the litter when it comes to the QBs in the draft. But I guess we'll see. Should be a fun off season.

. You can also throw in Phillip Rivers to that group because no one even thought he was going to be as good as he has been.

I knew without a doubt that Philip Rivers was going to be real good. Of course, I followed him closely at NC State, so I was very familiar with him. He had all the intangibles that a lot in the national media didn't see but those in the Raleigh area saw. He was one draft choice that I never had any doubt about.

Basically there are four quarterbacks who could all go in the first round - Luck, Locker, Newton and Mallett. I'm guessing the Redskins will end up drafting around the 8th overall pick, which means Luck is gone for sure. From there, I honestly have no clue which of the other three guys will still be on the board. My question is - if all three were somehow still available and Washington was dead set on taking a QB with the top spot, which one would you guys really like to see the Redskins end up with? I'm completely torn on the subject.

I can toss Locker out.

That leaves Mallet vs Newton. I just don't know. The upside that Newton has is tempting. But will he reach that potential? Will he be Big Ben playing like Vick or Tim Tebow playing like Vince Young?

Draft either OL or DL first. There are good Qb's available in later rounds. TJ Yates at UNC will be available. We better draft a RB too. Torain is great but we need some young legs with speed in the backfield.

Is there even a guard worth of a top 10 pick? I can't remember the last time a guard was drafted that high.

Is there even a guard worth of a top 10 pick? I can't remember the last time a guard was drafted that high.

He knows not what he speaks.

Fact is, with our first rounder, we have no offensive line needs.

We can go QB, WR, OLB, DE, NT, CB. Those are our positional options with our first rounder.

I was somewhat in agreement with you until you made this statement. :)

Don't get me wrong, he had an arm, and when committed could throw a beautiful accurate pass. My issue is how smart he was. The Elways and Youngs of the QB world have their plays called in to them and when all "you know what" breaks down they improvise well. I think the Montana's of the QB world are able to read what the defense is doing and are capable of changing the play at the LOS to suit them better and come out with an awsome play.

Payton Manning, great QB and uses his brains and changes plays to take advantage of what the defense is giving him. His brother on the other hand no so. Calls a play, runs the play and when it breaks down..... has a 50/50 chance of making something out of nothing. In other words some QB's are really smart and use that, others are gifted with physical talent and must rely on that often.

Nothing against either, as my end point stated, I was just saying that Mallet might be dumber then a box of rocks but as long as the HC knows what he has and the player has physical talent then we might still be ok vs. people simply saying "no he's dumber then a box of rocks, we don't need him."

Like I said I never was fan of Elway and even dispised him the way he was arrogant or so it seemed to me, but he took a team to the SB, which supprised me since he struggled all the yrs prior.

Wonderful, lets throw everything at a QB and have nothing to protect him with. SSDD.

Your entitled to your opinion. But name the last Redskins QB who was an actual franchise QB? Theismann? In 20 years we've been awful, we havent had a good QB. 20 years. This is a QB league, and yea our line is shaky, but are you forgetting we used a first rounder to get Trent Williams last year? We got another 1st rder in Jamaal Brown. This isnt a good year for OL. We can EASILY get one of the top 5 OL in the draft in the SECOND rd this year. Im the first one to always say we need an OL. But you know what? We had Campbell for 5 years, and we had a good team, and all people did was cry that he didnt have a good OL. But he did, he just sucked. You want to compete in this league you need an elite QB. Were in the same division with a Vick, Manning and Romo sits to pee. We need a QB first, with no leader, you have no soldiers.

After Luck, things get real shaky. We can't take a QB that high just for the sake of taking one. The right prospect has to be available. Mallett, Newton, and Locker have too many holes in their game for me to feel comfortable taking them early. When your talking about guys with accuracy, intelligence, or character issues... you should probably stay away from them. This is especially true when selecting in the top 10. You'd have to trade down and acquire more picks to mitigate the risks before I felt comfortable.

I kinda want to trade our first rounder for more picks if we can get good value for it, problem is, not many teams ever do that and for this years draft... I don't see anyone worth a team trading up for honestly. You can definitely see how VY went so high with all the gullible people out there, the same people are now wishing for Newton. I don't want Mallet either tho... Locker maybe, Luck is out for us sadly.. so it would be worth it to trade down if possible.

We'll know more after pro day tho.

You must not have much of a social life because what the OP is stating is no different then the conversations that go on in the workplace, parties, bars, etc. People discuss and weigh options when it comes to their team(s).

I understand what the OP is about. And I agree with the conversation that it engenders. In fact, I went out of my way to say that I enjoyed it. I'm not really sure what you're saying here, or why....but my post that you're responding to wasn't criticizing the OP or anyone else, I legitimately said that I was excited for the off-season discussion, because there are so many QB's coming out (most likely) that have a following here, and they're all very different prospects. It interests me. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension.

Edit: This is almost exactly what I was saying:

I have no horse in this race. I'm just sitting back and reading people who know and follow college football alot closer than me here on ES and elsewhere give their opinions on the quarterbacks.

Beyond Luck, it seems everyone has their next favorite. I gotta say, this is going to make for some fun threads in the next few months. These threads already are. I can't wait for the bowl games, all star games, combine, individual workouts etc and see how opinions change on not only who the next best QB is but also whether or not the Skins will be in a position to get him. You know that there will be someone projected to be a late 1st guy right now who will light up the combine and rocket to the top 5/10.

Archived