Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: The 39 Most dangerous breeds of Dogs..

JMS

My roommate in the Air Force got a pitbull puppy back in like 2003. it was always a house dog, completely spoiled. used to sleep in bed with him, get washed weekly, always got treats and good canned food. Go to visit him after I moved out, and the dog would jump all over you, licking you to death, then roll over for a belly scratch. My friend straight up spoiled that puppy LOL.

6 years later, it randomly attacked his wife, and her wounds required stitches. a week later, it got under the fence and killed the neighbors dog. It was eventually put down.

Just makes me think about when people says that certain breeds of dogs are only dangerous if they're raised to be that way. Not always true. This putbull lived the life of BrittneySpeas' pup. and in the end, it's aggressive instincts came outta nowhere.

That vision of the four year old smacking that huge fully grown Rott while it was in kill mode sticks with me to this day. Crazy.

Yes they are very protective against outsiders unless socialized to temper it,my Chow was the same.

The kids could do anything to it and the worst it would do is walk away,but heaven help any stranger getting near them

Something I posted a couple of years ago on here - just so stats I calculated on attacks/pitbulls and the absurdly low % of dogs that are responsible for all the "news":

There are 74.8 million owned dogs in the United States (Source: The Humane Society)

Some estimates put Pit Bulls at 5% of the dog population in the country. (Google searched for 20 mins, and found anywhere 3%-7% on most websites)

That gives us a guess of about 3.74 million pit bulls in the United States.

Now let us looks at these fatalities:

In 2006 there were 16 Pit Bull fatalities (Source: Wikipedia)

In 2007 there were 31 Pit Bull fatalities (Source: Wikipedia)

In 2008 there were 15 Pit Bull fatalities (Source: Wikipedia)

Broken down %

An estimated 0.00042% of Pit Bulls were responsible for fatal attacks in 2006

An estimated 0.00082% of Pit Bulls were responsible for fatal attacks in 2007

An estimated 0.00040% of Pit Bulls were responsible for fatal attacks in 2008

Just makes me think about when people says that certain breeds of dogs are only dangerous if they're raised to be that way. Not always true. This putbull lived the life of BrittneySpeas' pup. and in the end, it's aggressive instincts came outta nowhere.

Any dog can be dangerous,and the larger ,protective breeds can certainly do more damage in seconds.

The raising does make a great deal of difference though,as well as knowing how to read a dog.

My roommate in the Air Force got a pitbull puppy back in like 2003. it was always a house dog, completely spoiled. used to sleep in bed with him, get washed weekly, always got treats and good canned food. Go to visit him after I moved out, and the dog would jump all over you, licking you to death, then roll over for a belly scratch. My friend straight up spoiled that puppy LOL.

6 years later, it randomly attacked his wife, and her wounds required stitches. a week later, it got under the fence and killed the neighbors dog. It was eventually put down.

That's not "out of nowhere" - that's a clear example of a failure to discipline the dog. If the dog thinks it runs the household (because it's spoiled), it will turn vicious anytime it doesn't get its way, or if it percieves any sort of threat. No dog should be so spoiled that it thinks it's the alpha in the househould.

Everyone thinks that their own favorite breed doesn't belong on any list. They know that because thier favorite dog never attacked anyone. Not really that useful to the rest of us.

I personally think that there are major differences between dog breeds, and some breeds are more tempermental or dangerous ON AVERAGE than the typical breed. Your dog may be great, but other dogs of that breed may have problems.

Anecdote: we have had three Chow Chows in our neighborhood. Two of them have attacked other dogs, one of them killed another dog, the other bit a person. The third one is as nice as can be - and I'm sure that the owner of that dog believes that there is no reason to be concerned about Chow Chows.

Everyone thinks that their own favorite breed doesn't belong on any list. They know that because thier favorite dog never attacked anyone. Not really that useful to the rest of us.

I personally think that there are major differences between dog breeds, and some breeds are more tempermental or dangerous ON AVERAGE than the typical breed. Your dog may be great, but other dogs of that breed may have problems.

Anecdote: we have had three Chow Chows in our neighborhood. Two of them have attacked other dogs, one of them killed another dog, the other bit a person. The third one is as nice as can be - and I'm sure that the owner of that dog believes that there is no reason to be concerned about Chow Chows.

It's more about the nuture of the dog than the nature of the dog. Breed isn't as relevant as most people think.

It's more about the nuture of the dog than the nature of the dog. Breed isn't as relevant as most people think.

But it is more important than other people think, if only because of the potential consequences. Boston Terrier gets crazy mean, someone might get bitten on the ankle and have to kick it across the room. Pit bull gets crazy mean, someone might get killed.

Absolutely disagree, you buy certain types of dogs because of their temperment, if you want a high strung dog that can chase sticks for hours buy a lab or Jack Russell, if you want a dog that is mellow, buy a greyhound. If you want a dog that is animal aggressive, buy a pit or chow etc. The problem is, we have to many idiot owners thinking they can manage some of these dominant breeds by using this same concept, when in reality, they didn't know the breed had certain characteristics.

But it is more important than other people think, if only because of the potential consequences. Boston Terrier gets crazy mean, someone might get bitten on the ankle and have to kick it across the room. Pit bull gets crazy mean, someone might get killed.

That part is true, obviously.

I have no problem with dogs -they are just stupid animals - its the owners who are clueless idiots.

They think that because the dog is "sweet" and "nice" to the family members, it couldnt possibly rip the throat out of a stranger.

If you own a dog that is capable of killing anything bigger than a cat, then you are likely just an a-hole who doesnt care about his neighbors or anyone but themselves.

I have a jack=off neighbor who insists on owning elephant size dobermans. Their bark is so loud and nasty you can hear it a mile off. They love the families kids, sure and they HATE everyone else... he has an electric fence.. WOW! These things could take an shotgun blast and keep going. They constantly get out and run around scaring the kids to death in the street. The street is like a ghost town half the time because if you come within 1000 feet of the house those behemoths start in barking.... Last year he found one dead in the yard (he suspected poison - not me, I swear) and immediately went out and got a bigger and nastier one. He is a douche of the worst kind.

Another neighbor is a lawyer and if the dogs keep getting out and roaming then he says he will have the homeowners assc. take legal action - which I hope comes soon.

And I dont care about training and the way you raise them - they are animals and any given time these things can snap.

Absolutely disagree, you buy certain types of dogs because of their temperment, if you want a high strung dog that can chase sticks for hours, if you want a dog that is mellow, buy a greyhound. If you want a dog that is animal aggressive, buy a pit or chow etc. The problem is, we have to many idiot owners thinking using this same concept while ignoring the traits of their pet.

I was only talking about aggressiveness, not traits like endurance or whatever. Yes, some breeds do have a stronger tendency toward aggression, but I think that tendency is only slightly different between breeds, and easily controlled by a strong owner who provides good training, exercise, and leadership. I've got a sheperd/terrier mix, two breeds known for aggression, and she's an absolute doll who's never shown an ounce of aggression toward any human (with squirrels, it's a different story). She gets a ton of exercise and knows she's not the alpha dog in the house, and she's totally calm and non-aggressive in that environment. I can even put my hand right in her food bowl while she's eating, and she'll let me do it with total submission. Discipline is crucial.

I agree with this 100%. Personal stories are pointless. Everyone knows a dog of X breed who is nice and a Y breed who once bit them.

It is why I try and look at the statistics on this stuff. And why, when you really break it down, there is no epidemic.

Dogs attack people. Various breeds make up a majority of those attacks. Those attacks are horrible. Horrible horrible horrible things.

But serious attacks are extremely rare. Statistically speaking it just does not happen on a large enough scale for it to register as something that needs a huge amount of attention.

Anyone that owns certain breeds that have strong territorial and protective instincts need to be aware of them,as well as powerful breeds...just part of being a good owner.....letting any dog out of a controlled environment is a recipe for trouble

Anyone that owns certain breeds that have strong territorial and protective instincts need to be aware of them,as well as powerful breeds...just part of being a good owner.....letting any dog out of a controlled environment is a recipe for trouble

Most Chow owners get the dog because they think it's cute.

I think it's a snow eating death machine.

Archived