Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: The 39 Most dangerous breeds of Dogs..

JMS

You're wrong, if this is the case, explain why Caucasian Mountain dog breeders test puppies for aggression levels as early as 6 days? I know for a fact that if I owned this dog, there is nothing I could do to stop it from being deadly protective over my family, it's just how they are.
Prove your own assertion. Prove that story about that breed of dog is true, and not just the same hype that has been used to aggressive sell Rotties, Dobies, and Pit Bulls in years past. Then prove that breed's DNA matters more than upbringing or individual differences.

I've met lovable Pit Bulls, and mean Labs. My experience tells me otherwise about dangerous "breeds". It's been about mean or non-caring owners, more than the type of dog.

Prove your own assertion. Prove that story about that breed of dog is true, and not just the same hype that has been used to aggressive sell Rotties, Dobies, and Pit Bulls in years past. Then prove that breed's DNA matters more than upbringing or individual differences.

I've met lovable Pit Bulls, and mean Labs. My experience tells me otherwise about dangerous "breeds". It's been about mean or non-caring owners, more than the type of dog.

Just my 2 cents, but I honestly believe that both you and Goskins are right...in part.

I will use one of my dogs as an example. I have a pug/terrier mix. She had/has two behaviors that my wife and I have been working on since we adopted her when she was 3:

The first is her chasing our cats. Terriers have generation upon generation of instinct in going after small animals. Thus, it is not surprising that she would have that inclination being part terrier. We have worked on controlling it and now, 3 years later, she will still watch the cats with a high amount of interest, and will occasionally start to dart towards one, but its controlled by our ownership behavior. However, that instinct is still there. The same holds true for herding dogs that try and "herd" their owners, pits that are aggressive towards other dogs, or GSDs who protect their yard.

The second is food aggression. Her first owners had other dogs that bullied her, and as a result she became very protective towards her food and toys to the point she would lash out at any other animal that would come near her during those times. Today, she will still growl at times, but it is 100x better in part due to us working with her. This is an example of behavior that stems from the owner - the original owners not stopping the other dogs from causing problems and then not stopping the food aggression when it first arose, and then our correcting behavior after we got her.

Two behaviors - one based on instinct, the other from ownership (and that is not even addressing breeding issues, which is both instinct and owner behavior).

Just my 2 cents, but I honestly believe that both you and Goskins are right...in part.

I will use one of my dogs as an example. I have a pug/terrier mix. She had/has two behaviors that my wife and I have been working on since we adopted her when she was 3:

The first is her chasing our cats. Terriers have generation upon generation of instinct in going after small animals. Thus, it is not surprising that she would have that inclination being part terrier. We have worked on controlling it and now, 3 years later, she will still watch the cats with a high amount of interest, and will occasionally start to dart towards one, but its controlled by our ownership behavior. However, that instinct is still there. The same holds true for herding dogs that try and "herd" their owners, pits that are aggressive towards other dogs, or GSDs who protect their yard.

The second is food aggression. Her first owners had other dogs that bullied her, and as a result she became very protective towards her food and toys to the point she would lash out at any other animal that would come near her during those times. Today, she will still growl at times, but it is 100x better in part due to us working with her. This is an example of behavior that stems from the owner - the original owners not stopping the other dogs from causing problems and then not stopping the food aggression when it first arose, and then our correcting behavior after we got her.

Two behaviors - one based on instinct, the other from ownership (and that is not even addressing breeding issues, which is both instinct and owner behavior).

Agreed to an extent. But I wonder how much of that "instinct" behavior is really instinct, and how much is it the owner encouraging the dog to "live up" to whatever the dog breed's reputation is. Especially owners that buy a breed of dog specifically because they are supposed to be "tough".

Agreed to an extent. But I wonder how much of that "instinct" behavior is really instinct, and how much is it the owner encouraging the dog to "live up" to whatever the dog breed's reputation is. Especially owners that buy a breed of dog specifically because they are supposed to be "tough".

I'm in that camp,the correct training can over come instinct or breed characteristics,but ya have to work at it...any encouragement goes a long way if there is a predisposition.

I do not disagree. There is a huge amount of owner behavior shaping the dog's behavior, especially when one is talking about the "dangerous" breeds. APBTs should not be, and historically have not been, aggressive towards people. However, there are alot of people out there who want an image, not a companion, and encourage in their dogs behave aggressively. I will also add in that breeders have a lot of control as well. If you look at the periods in which a particular dog tops the charts, it coinsides with a large increase in the population from breeders trying to cash in on a dogs popularity or infamy.

However my point was not that owner behavior is not important, it in fact is extremely important, but that one cannot discount instinct either. GSDs are highly protective by instinct. Humans can encourage this instinct, or they can instead control it through training, but that instinct is still there. There are reformed fighting dogs which now live in multi-dog households without issues because of their new owner's training/behavior, but that does not mean that their instinct to fight is gone - just controlled. And understanding the difference between learned behaviors and instinctive behaviors is a big step towards being a better owner for many breeds. A APBT owner who understands that there is a high occurence of dog aggression within the breed (instinctive after generation upon generation of breeding), and thus takes steps to make sure their dog is not a problem in that regards, is a better owner than one who says "well, I've know several pits that loved other dogs" and assumes theirs will be the same way.

The trick is to understanding which is instinct (a guardian breed being threatening against strangers) and which is owner/breeder behavior (a non-guardian breed being threatening towards strangers) and it seems that many have a hard time telling the difference between the two. And yes, you also just messed up individual dogs that you really cannot blame instinct or owner, just a head of bad wiring.

I normal PTB raised in a family would probably follow the picture painted by a bunch of you, i.e. he would naturally attack other dogs but be subservient to people. The thing is, a lot people don't properly establish the pack leader set up for themselves. The dogs aren't a pet and as a result don't get much interaction with people. A strong, aggressive dog like this who thinks it's the pack leader will be very dangerous towards people too. Every book or expert you use to study large, strong breeds starts out with the same message that you HAVE to establish dominance over these dogs or they WILL attack people. Just a big bad ass dog (who knows it) doing what they do with their pack naturally.

Here's a pretty cool website about Molossers (http://www.moloss.com/001/ptxt/breed.html\ link) and almost every link about a breed you follow pleads with the potential owner to establish dominance over these dogs or there will be trouble. As a side note, most of these dogs aren't common in the US but they were I have no doubt they would place high on this list if the became as common as pits. I particularly like the looks of the Catahoula bulldog. My aunt has a Catahoula leopard dog and that thing. while well socialized, still gives off a very raw, wild vibe. The other dogs in our family want no part of that critter and it keep to itself.

For those saying Beagle's aren't a threat, my wife got a rescued beagle from the SPCA back when we were dating. It was such a little terd. You could take it out for a 2 mile walk, but it would come inside, jump on the bed, turn around to make sure you were watching and dump a load. When it came to getting into things it should not...well let's just say I gave her a pair of insulated leather work gloves for cold weather that I had from my time as a landscaper. We still have the gloves, but they have two holes from the silly/mean dog who was returned to the SPCA 4 weeks after she came to live with my now wife. When we took her back, they said she couldn't possibly bite...then my wife unwrapped and showed her arm which has a bite to the bone.

I think any animal can be a terd...but I still like having cats and dogs.

Here is the ranking

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2270/1/?redirectURL=http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries

Here is the article

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-01/dangerous-dogs-ranked-by-breed-pit-bulls-chows-chows-lead/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsR9

Wow these guys are idiots... Old English Sheepdog is #13... based upon two incidents out of 1400 registared dogs?

Old English Sheepdogs have the AKC's highest rating with little kids....

Brittany Spaniel is # 33.... wow... who did it attack? they are the size of a large squirel and about as agressive as a gerble.

Chihuahua #34 ???? 1 death???

Pomeranian #35

Beagle #37.... Kind of feel sorry for beagle owners..

They only thing this list got correct is they didn't Include the Newfoundland breed. The marshmellow of the large dog species. One of my favorite breeds.

JMS, my family has had Old English Sheepdogs for years and let me tell you, they are the meanest dogs I have ever encountered. I have scars all over my body from the dog constantly biting me. I am grateful my family does not have one anymore. BTW never touch an old english sheep dogs toys..HOLY **** they go bat-****..

Instinct is the more dominant trait that makes breeds dangerous. Clearly the setting/nurturing (lack of) that a dog encounters is incredibly important but the breed of dog even more so. You can't unwind centuries of what a dog has been breed to do for man (and terriers have been bred to kill vermin and as a consequence have that killer instinct deep within them).

Correct, a JRT is unlikely to put an adult in the hospital. However, JRTs can and have put children into hospitals. I will see if I can find the article out of the UK I read a few months ago about the kid who will be undergoing multiple plastic surgeries on his face after a JRT went after him..

I would not own a Jack Russel with a child. My Jack Russel was a great dog but he bit my son in his face one day. Nobody was home except the two of them. My son said the dog just went nuts. Bit his lip, drew blood. Wife wanted to put the dog down right on the spot.

After things calmed down my son confided that he had been messing with the dog. The dog was asleep and my kid was fooling with him. The bite was a reflexive act... Honestly though I think my JRT looked at my family and considered himself to be #2.. Right behind me in line for leadership of the pack. Certainly ahead of the kids. I don't think JRT's are good family dogs at all. Great dogs, just not good with small children or even elementary or intermediate school kids.... Good company for folks who live alone or a couple without kids.

Now on the other hand my Newf. My Newf really didn't care where he was in the pack. He just wanted to hang out with his people and make sure everybody got along. My three year old could walk him all by herself. Except If I wasn't walking along he wouldn't let my 3 year old out of the yard. I used to leave my newf in my yard unattended.. never had any problems with him. Came home one day and the dog catcher was standing on my sidewalk trying to coax my Newf out of the yard. My newf was just lieing their looking at him. I walked by him and called the dog to follow me. The dog catcher said to me. That's one well trained dog. I was thinking, if you had a cookie you would have got him.

Here's a pretty cool website about Molossers (http://www.moloss.com/001/ptxt/breed.html\ link) and almost every link about a breed you follow pleads with the potential owner to establish dominance over these dogs or there will be trouble. As a side note, most of these dogs aren't common in the US but they were I have no doubt they would place high on this list if the became as common as pits. I particularly like the looks of the Catahoula bulldog. My aunt has a Catahoula leopard dog and that thing. while well socialized, still gives off a very raw, wild vibe. The other dogs in our family want no part of that critter and it keep to itself.

Some of the Molosser breeds are starting to run into problems in some areas already. Boxers are starting to become replacements for Pit breeds in areas where Pits are banned because of the similarity in looks, behavior, etc. After Ontario Prov. banned pits, there was an increase in the number of Boxers...and incidents involving Boxers. I have also seen more than a few Bullmastiffs and AmBulls appear recently here in El Paso and not in what one would call great situations - chained most of the day, allowed to run, etc. Its like an arms race for nitwits:

GSDs --> Doberman ---> Pit ---> St. Bernard (temporarily...thanks Stephen King) ---> Wolf Hybrids ---> Rotties ---> Pit (again) ---> Mastiff Breeds/Boxers/AmBulls/Presnas

I have never met a Catahoula, though I have heard good things about them from some of the local ranchers. My favorite breeds are still the British mastiffs (Bullmastiffs and English Mastiffs). I love out Shelby (our pit), and respect the breed, but she will probably be our last APBT simply because when the time comes my wife and I have both agreed we will be getting another Bullie. Madison (our old Bullie) was just a fabulous dog that its hard to compare others to her. I once flew out to Las Cruces while we were in Virgina. The town house we were living in had stairs to the 2nd floor, and you could watch out the front door's window if you stiif at the top. Except to eat, drink, and go outside to do her business, Madison spent a week laying at the top of those stairs watching out that window waiting for me to come home despite the fact that she was scared of those steps. We used to have kids in the neighborhood (Georgetown South for those familiar with Manassas) that would come up and knock on our door wanting to know if Madison "could come out to play".

But, to go along with the thread, we also knew what Madison was capable of. Like her cousins the English, Madison did not bite when in protect mode, but she did twice back individuals into a corner and keep them there until we showed her that it was ok, including my father-in-law. He was working on our kitchen right after buying the townhouse, and we had not introduced them yet. He came in, and she simply grumbled once and used her body to back him into the corner by the front door...for 20 minutes until we got home for the day. So its easy to see how if someone with bad intentions decided they wanted the biggest baddest dog on the block could twist that behavior into something very dangerous.

Course....the one time we actually had someone break into that townhouse, Madison never moved from the foot of the bed, snoring like a friggin chainsaw. :ols:

JMS, my family has had Old English Sheepdogs for years and let me tell you, they are the meanest dogs I have ever encountered. I have scars all over my body from the dog constantly biting me. I am grateful my family does not have one anymore. BTW never touch an old english sheep dogs toys..HOLY **** they go bat-****..

I grew up with Old English Sheepdoogs. Love um.

As I said they along with Newfs and Golden Retrievers have the AKC's highest rating for children. Unlike Newfs and Golden's Old English Sheep Dogs also have the AKC's highest rating for protection...

My old english sheep dog used to roam the neighborhood free. Walked me to the buss every day and then ran the three blocks home after I left by herself.

She could get scary if another kid or dog was picking on one of her people. For some reason she didn't like trashmen. Other than that a great familiy dog.... Least in my experience...

IF I needed a guard dog, or lived in the city and had a family... Old English Sheepdog would be my first choice.... Lots of hair and grooming... which I don't mind...

Newfs are really scary looking dogs. My male was 170lbs and could eat from the dining room table standing on all four feet.. Huge dog. They too have the AKC's highest rating for kids... but have the AKC's lowest rating for protection.... They would go home with anybody if that person gave them a cookie. I wanted a large dog which I didn't have to worry about hurting anybody. I wasn't disapointed with the Newf. I've owned three. Great dogs. The only problem is they are so large and have so many health problems that it's kind of like having an uninsured person in the house.

I don't know about the whole nature v/s nurture argument.

I have a good friend who had 2 dogs. One was a Lab mix and the other a Pitt. They got the Pitt when she was a puppy and the Lab mix was a couple of years old. This Pitt grew up w/ their other dog and for years ate, played, slept, etc w/ the Lab mix and their kids. I mean, this was the type of dog ( the Pitt) that kids could climb on and play with and you never had to worry about them. She was the epitome of a big baby.

One day, my friends husband came home from work and found their Lab mix dead- literally mangled. Blood all over the back yard and the Pitt (which was white) was COVERED in blood. The neighbors said the Pitt attacked the Lab and wouldn't stop. It was so bad the dog ripped the Lab's tail off it's body.

This is a dog that had been socialized w/ people and other dogs, was trained properly and definitely knew it's place in the "pack" and was what seemed to be the friendliest dog you could ever meet. These dogs had lived together for almost 3 years w/ NO problems. The day of the incident was just like any other day- they had been fed and then let outside before everyone left for work (so it wasn't an issue of the Lab trying to eat her food, different environment, etc). She just snapped for NO reason.

My friends have had Pitts or Pitt mixes before and never had any problems. All their dogs have been big babies. But after this, they specifically said they will never again own another Pitt b/c you just can't tell when it will turn and you don't know what causes it to snap.

I love dogs. But after this, I'm extremely skeptical of all Pitts. I know what happened to them was a rare occurrence, but it's still scary as hell. And frankly, those dogs scare the **** out of me now, and I was never afraid of them before. I think I'll stick w/ GSD's.

my gf has a 2 month old min. pinscher. that thing thinks its in charge. its personality seems pretty similar to a jack russel terrior. if i challenge it, or tell it "no", it will get aggressive and jump at me. that little pup doesnt know whose the boss yet. its pretty hillarious when it tries to challenge that cat that is much larger and agile than the pup. it will learn its place.

i have had a 120lb german shepherd for years. that dog loves everyone and is playful and good with kids in the neighborhood. that said, if you tried to hurt someone in my family or do something shady, that dog will become ferocious.

both are good dogs, but a lot lies on the owner in how you bring them up. establishing that they are not the alpha seems to be important.

on a side note, my friend has a pet pig. its like 250 or so pounds, pretty large. im not scared of dogs, but this pig creeps me out, always snapping at me with those hidden teeth. its temperment is very hard to distinguish. that thing hates me for some reason and if it got mad it could do some damage cuz its built like a rock. i can kick it in the face as hard as i want and it wouldnt have much of an effect. dont know why it doesnt like me, but im not a fan.

Archived