Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if Gibbs stayed for Year 5?

Bootleg

Williams should have know that there was a good chance that Sean did it, and not comment on the subject, it was the 2nd time he had been accused of it. Taylor's behavior wasn't role model, I think coach should have know better, I didnt expect him to throw him under the bus either. But anyway Sean turned things around and maybe Greg had something to do with that I dont know.
Agreed, I think the Cincinatti spitting incident was never proven, but twice accused you're right. Still, no tape and your player swears he didn't do it? You may be right but I don't think the coaches did anything wrong.

Maybe Gregg helped. I think I read that according to Portis, Taylor's baby daughter had the biggest influence on turning his life around.

How many playoff appearances did we have after Gibbs 1.0 retired? = 1

How many playoff appearances did we have during Gibbs 2.0 = 2

How many playoff appearances have we had since Gibbs 2.0 retired again = 0

Hmmm .. Looks like Gibbs =2 Others = 1

Say what you want, but the man is a great coach. If Gibbs would've had a top tier QB like McNabb during his time here the skies would've been the limit for us. 2008 would've been special, even with Zorn we started out 6-2.

As I have said many times, we would have won the Super Bowl.

I am still angry at those jerks who were shouting/chanting "Joe must Go!" at the home games. I have no doubt that infuenced Gibbs. At the least, it must have hurt him.

And look where we ended up.

Gibbs II was awful. He was involved in the personnel decisions that cost the franchise multiple draft picks for worthless players. So, I think if Gibbs had stayed we would still be flirting with an 8:8 record. It would have been better to keep Williams as head coach IMO.

How can you say "Gibbs II was awful"?

What did you expect, a Super Bowl victory in the second year? Gimme a break. The team was a complete disaster after Spurrier. Gibbs did wonders to make it to the playoffs the second year, including a 5 game win streak at the end of the season.

Sure, in 2006 we didn't have a great season, but that was a case of one step back, two steps forward. We rebounded nicely in 2007.

2008 would have been a great year.

I often wonder that myself. I also wonder what would have happened if Gregg Williams got the head coaching job instead of Jim Zorn. Either way I think we would be in a much better place than we are now.

It is difficult to talk in terms of what if, but the team Gibbs left behind sure seemed to be headed in the right direction. They went 6-2 in their first 8 games after he left. Then they spent two years regressing under Zorn's leadership. Now we are back in rebuilding mode.

Oh, and Gregg Williams won a Super Bowl in New Orleans while we were regressing. Snyder really screwed the pooch on that one.

Yea I really wanted Gregg Williams to be promoted to HC. I wonder if Snyder ever looked back on that and realized his ego screwed us over yet again.

As I have said many times, we would have won the Super Bowl.

I am still angry at those jerks who were shouting/chanting "Joe must Go!" at the home games. I have no doubt that infuenced Gibbs. At the least, it must have hurt him.

And look where we ended up.

ANYONE chanting that isn't fit to be classed a Redskin fan IMHO. That may seem strong to many, as each person's prerogative is his own, but regardless of what anyone thinks, or however bad it may of become, that man deserves WAY more respect than that for all he's done for this organization.

Criticising where it's due amongst ourselves I have no problem with, No man is above the Washington Redskins. And I've no doubt Coach would neither pertain to be, or shy away from any just criticism. But to openly call for the guys head at a game, after all the personal sacrifices he's given this franchise, and the memory's he's left so many with of their team ..... well, anyone who joined in with that at the time should be continually feeling a deep sense of shame.

Hail.

Criticising where it's due amongst ourselves I have no problem with, No man is above the Washington Redskins. And I've no doubt Coach would neither pertain to be, or shy away from any just criticism. But to openly call for the guys head at a game, after all the personal sacrifices he's given this franchise, and the memory's he's left so many with of their team ..... well, anyone who joined in with that at the time should be continually feeling a deep sense of shame.

Hail.

Very well said. I'm as big a fan as there is of Joe Gibbs, but I can admit that he made some mistakes from 2004-2007. However, as far as I'm concerned, he could have coached here as long as he wanted to.

The Redskins offense showed life with Todd Collins at the end of 2007 against some pretty good teams before dismantling in Seattle... The defense was... Lacking in turnovers and a pass rush, but still Top 10.

Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams come back for another year.

They have the following picks in the 2008 NFL Draft: 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 7, 7, 7

What would've happened?

Just another wasted year if Gibbs came back, really unfair to ask the guy to build up another dynasty.

Gibbs had done a great job of restoring the team's standing with two playoff appearances after the disaster of firing Marty for Spurrier. The team had an identity again for the first time since he left and it really should have continued with Williams as HC.

That was the great "what if?". Instead of keeping around the guy that had earned a chance, they go with Matt Hasselbeck's personal trainer and become a laughing stock again.

Even the great Joe Gibbs couldn't help the disaster of an organization that the Redskins are.

How would Gibbs sticking around been any better than the parade of clowns who have followed him? Gibbs 2.0 clearly lacked the same desire as the 1.0 version...which shouldn't surprise anyone. After all, who was the last coach over 50 years old to get his team to a Super Bowl, other than Bill Belichick?

Older men just don't have the same fire that they did in their youth. That's one reason why previously successful coaches were unable to replicate their earlier success, like Gibbs, Parcells, even Wade Phillips.

Even if Vince Lombardi were resurrected and he came lumbering out of his grave to coach on the Redskins sideline, this team will still suck. The problems with this team start with Mr. Snyder and his addiction to big-name stars.

McKenna has put together a mostly comprehensive list of Snyder's failings, with so many entries that it will soon become the Encyclopedia Snydersucksia:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/a...to-dan-snyder/

I think if Gibbs had come back for another year we could have been a solid team in '08 and may have made the playoffs again, but for the long term, it wouldn't have helped. We needed to go through the disaster of '09 to purge ourselves of Vinny, and that would have been delayed if we had had another respectable season under Gibbs in '08.

And although hiring Williams would have been the "right" move after Gibbs left, I don't believe Snyder, Vinny, and Gregg Williams could have coexisted. Before long (if not immediately), Vinny would have begun undermining Williams in an effort to get Williams out and his own coach in. I think things would have turned ugly quickly.

We needed to go through the mess we did to be purged of Vinny and to bring in Bruce and Shanny. Things may not be great right now, but I think they're better than they could be.

The Redskins offense showed life with Todd Collins at the end of 2007 against some pretty good teams before dismantling in Seattle... The defense was... Lacking in turnovers and a pass rush, but still Top 10.

Gibbs, Saunders, and Williams come back for another year.

They have the following picks in the 2008 NFL Draft: 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 7, 7, 7

What would've happened?

They would have been horrible. Gibbs always knew when it was time to leave. There was nothing here in place for the team do well so he knew it was time to go.

The mistake wasn't in hiring Saunders.

The mistake was Gibbs' not allowing him full control over the offense.

That's a fair and pertinent point Brave man.

After the success Al had had in KC, it would of been interesting to see him have FULL control over the 'Skins O to run it how he wanted, instead of part control, with Coach' run game thrown in for good measure. Another reason I lament Gregg not getting the job. We'd of had continuation with a play off team on both sides of the ball.

Hail.

I think Gibbs knew that ship was sinking, that's why he bailed before things got REAL bad.

I don't know how they screwed up so badly in giving up so much for JC, but he knew he wouldn't be able to find another qb to groom within 3 or so years, which would have included rebuilding the roster again.

That's a fair and pertinent point Brave man.

After the success Al had had in KC, it would of been interesting to see him have FULL control over the 'Skins O to run it how he wanted, instead of part control, with Coach' run game thrown in for good measure. Another reason I lament Gregg not getting the job. We'd of had continuation with a play off team on both sides of the ball.

Hail.

What was wrong with the offense that the team needed Saunders to begin with? Brunell played like Favre is doing now during the playoffs. Some of Saunders playcalling weren't that great. I can see why Gibbs took over the offense at times.

More pivotal would have been if we had a good 2008 draft. Our schedule in 2009 was a joke and if we had decent players to rely upon we would have won some games. The fact that we went 4-12 with such a cheesecake schedule is a joke. Last years team with the same coaching (Zorn, Blache etc) this year would be winless right now.

It's hard to believe that we held onto very little from the Gibbs II years.

Let's be honest my friend, Gibbs was running an outdated offense and Saunders was brought in to "modernize" it so to speak.

Something doesn't seem right about this. Modernize an offense that was only 1 win away from being in the SB the previous year and that was in Gibbs second year being back? Vinny must have had something to do with this.

Archived