Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No more trump cards left for Snyder

ChicagoRedskinsFan

It seemed that Shannahan was quickly bringing this team back to respectability. The offense wasn't spectacular, but there were signs of promise and they weren't killing themselves with turnovers. The defense was giving up a lot of yards, but they were getting turnovers and usually bending without breaking. And on both sides of the football, the penalties were relatively low. The beginnings of a solid program. It did trouble me the way they were fading late in games and failing to deliver the knockout punch. But even that seemed to turn around against Green Bay, when they saved their best for last.

With about 5 minutes left in the first half of the season, the Redskins appeared headed for 5-3. This would be a success by any measure, even though it was clear we had plenty of room for improvement.

Since that point, the roof has caved in on this season. A last minute collapse in Detroit followed by controversy and now the worst loss I have ever seen. Even the Pats game in 2007 was competitive for the first quarter. I would compare this to Indiana vs. Wisconsin on Saturday, but even that was tied 10-10 in the 2nd quarter. And Indiana was on the road. The Redskins are almost always competitive and wait until the end to blow it. So even a jaded fan like me never saw this coming. It was like they didn't bother to show up.

A 4-5 record would be ok if they were improving and had won 2 of the last 3. Instead, their best football was early in the season, and in a short time they have regressed to the point of absurdity. This is similar to 2008 - a promising start (including wins over Dallas and Philly) followed by stunning regression. They may be deficient in talent, but nothing justifies this debacle. Last year with a 2-6 record, patchwork o-line, and lame duck coach, the Redskins began a stretch of about 6 games where they played toe-to-toe with some of the best teams, including the Saints. So I guess we still had some guys that could play football. It was only after Bruce Allen was hired and Jim Zorn's firing was certain that the team clearly gave up and didn't show up against the Cowboys and Giants. And it had that feeling again last night - except we still had a season left and a coach that was supposed to be in control. But not anymore. I don't even know how much to blame Snyder, since he finally made some big personnel changes that most us supported. Who will save this franchise now?

God damn it people.

Our new GM, the one we fought so DAMN hard to get last season/off-season (remember our revolt?) took over a team that has been a disaster for more than a decade.

In his 1st off-season he made a few changes. As many as he could with four draft picks and one FA class. Did he do everything we wanted? Absolutely not. Did he begin on what is probably a 3+ year plan? Yes.

Next season you will see many more change. He will have another draft and another FA class.

He knows that we have problems. Anyone can see that.

CAN WE WAIT UNTIL THE MAN HAS HAD MORE THAN 1 DRAFT TO THROW IN THE TOWEL ON HIM.

What you guys expect our new GM to do in one off-season is ****ing insane. IT TAKES MULTIPLE YEARS TO FIX AN NFL ROSTER. Especially one that he inherited.

God damn it.

God damn it people. .......

God damn it.

I have been saying this for a bit now. What happened to all the people that were so excited to get Shanallen in here? So many that vowed to give him time to fix things? I personally gave him 3 years. 3 years to change things. 3 years just to make us not the laughing stock. And I'm sticking to it.

They haven't done everything 100% correctly. Mistakes have been made. But they aren't Gods. **** happens. Move on and let them do their jobs.

God damn it people.

Our new GM, the one we fought so DAMN hard to get last season/off-season (remember our revolt?) took over a team that has been a disaster for more than a decade.

In his 1st off-season he made a few changes. As many as he could with four draft picks and one FA class. Did he do everything we wanted? Absolutely not. Did he begin on what is probably a 3+ year plan? Yes.

Next season you will see many more change. He will have another draft and another FA class.

He knows that we have problems. Anyone can see that.

CAN WE WAIT UNTIL THE MAN HAS HAD MORE THAN 1 DRAFT TO THROW IN THE TOWEL ON HIM.

What you guys expect our new GM to do in one off-season if ****ing insane. IT TAKES MULTIPLE YEARS TO FIX AN NFL ROSTER. Especially one that he inherited.

God damn it.

Quoting this for truth. This is my frustration with the fan base and the local media. I have not visited any sports sites nor will listen to any sports radio for this week.

We just severely lack talent on both sides of the ball. Our start to this year was a mirage. We need to stick with this and let them restock the team. You can argue that you don't like ShannAllen, but regardless of who you do like when they get hold of this team it will be a 3 to 5 year process if things go well.

I have been saying this for a bit now. What happened to all the people that were so excited to get Shanallen in here? So many that vowed to give him time to fix things? I personally gave him 3 years. 3 years to change things. 3 years just to make us not the laughing stock. And I'm sticking to it.

They haven't done everything 100% correctly. Mistakes have been made. But they aren't Gods. **** happens. Move on and let them do their jobs.

I would agree if they hadn't started "The future is now" crap and replaced our declining injury prone aging veterans with new declining injury prone aging veterans.

The problem is that there are too many fans who are looking for "saviours". That's part of the reason why I didn't really want Shanahan, because I knew that in some ways it would be Gibbs all over again. Fans would get their expectations way too high and then when the team didn't perform, eventually fans would start to turn against the franchise.

Fact is, expectations for this team should have been managed better. Then again, when you sign a big name coach and trade for a big name QB, that is kinda hard to do. People seem to forget that the rest of the team is held together by spit and bailing wire, with parts that don't quite fit.

Fact is, expectations for this team should have been managed better. Then again, when you sign a big name coach and trade for a big name QB, that is kinda hard to do. People seem to forget that the rest of the team is held together by spit and bailing wire, with parts that don't quite fit.

I'd agree with this. It would have been nice to hear them come out and say that they wanted to start a new chapter and they were OK starting from scratch. A complete rebuild would have been refreshing and might even be met with more acceptance than this "half-and-half" approach.

Either way though...that's just PR and marketing...we still need to give the current regime time to fix the franchise.

We just severely lack talent on both sides of the ball. Our start to this year was a mirage. We need to stick with this and let them restock the team. You can argue that you don't like ShannAllen, but regardless of who you do like when they get hold of this team it will be a 3 to 5 year process if things go well.

More like some fans were seeing things that weren't there. The issues with this team were obvious for anyone willing to look. As I said before, the only real difference between last year and this year is that there is a lot more focus from the players and there was a better plan to force turnovers. Otherwise, this team isn't much different from last year's team in that they will be struggling from week to week to win games. I thought after losing to the Rams and Lions that this would have been obvious.

I would agree if they hadn't started "The future is now" crap and replaced our declining injury prone aging veterans with new declining injury prone aging veterans.

I know, you're right. We should have signed Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Andre Johnson, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Mangold, Jake Long, Haloti Ngata and Vince Wilfork.

True no more trump cards only Ws will appease the masses at this pont.

People talk so much **** about Snyder but he has given the fans everything they've asked for.

We wanted a young up and coming coach he went and got Zorn.

That blew up, we hated everything. He put new HD boards in and fixed a seat upgrade program.

We wanted a GM and a new coach with a proven track record and here we are.

As fans I think we're all out of bright ideas. Just win baby.

Synder is in charge of paying these guys, but he's not in charge of getting them ready with 2 weeks to prepare for this game and he's not in charge of the defensive scheme...so until he actually comes down on the field and does all this not all the blame goes on his shoulders imho.....players need to be accountable for their weak play the last 2 games

As someone else put it in another thread (paraphrasing a bit here), "It's like someone stayed at your house for about 8-10 days completely trashed it and then left, Then you came home; you're not going to clean it up in 1-2 hours (or even days)"

This franchise was run with neolethic incompetency by Vinny C for almost a decade Bruce Allen is going to need at least 2-3 drafts to fully detoxify the franchise.

I'm with Duckus on this one. God damn it people!!!

I'm as pissed off, disappointed and sick to my stomach as anyone after last night, but I also know that we need some patience to bring this team back to respectability.

The best thing Dan Snyder can do right now is remain at a distance from the football operations decision-making.

This franchise was run with neolethic incompetency by Vinny C for almost a decade Bruce Allen is going to need at least 2-3 drafts to fully detoxify the franchise.

Actually, the problem is that it wasn't run by one guiding force for a decade. We had Vinny for two years, Gibbs for four, umm.. nobody for two (as far as I can tell), Marty for one, and Snyder for one.

IT TAKES MULTIPLE YEARS TO FIX AN NFL ROSTER. Especially one that he inherited.

For a rebuttal, please refer to:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2010 (3-13 to 6-3 so far)

Green Bay Packers, 2009 (6-10 to 11-5)

Atlanta Falcons, 2008 (4-12 to 11-5)

Miami Dolphins, 2008 (1-15 to 11-5)

San Diego Chargers, 2004 (4-12 to 12-4)

St. Louis Rams, 1999 (4-12 to 13-3)

Philadelphia Eagles, 1999 (5-11 to 11-5)

Actually, the problem is that it wasn't run by one guiding force for a decade. We had Vinny for two years, Gibbs for four, umm.. nobody for two (as far as I can tell), Marty for one, and Snyder for one.

For almost a decade this was the case...Vinny was a factor though along with Dan...the last two years brought his incompetency out of the shadows.

Bottom line is this: our franchise is in rebuilding mode...and hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

For a rebuttal, please refer to:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2010 (3-13 to 6-3 so far)

Green Bay Packers, 2009 (6-10 to 11-5)

Atlanta Falcons, 2008 (4-12 to 11-5)

Miami Dolphins, 2008 (1-15 to 11-5)

San Diego Chargers, 2004 (4-12 to 12-4)

St. Louis Rams, 1999 (4-12 to 13-3)

Philadelphia Eagles, 1999 (5-11 to 11-5)

Interesting that every SINGLE one of these teams built around a young QB who was/is their Franchise QB, drafted by them.

TB: Freeman

GB: Rogers

ATL: Ryan

MIA: Henne (really the only exception, as he's been benched, and now injured)

SD: Rivers

STL: More recent than 1999, its obvious that they are on the up with Bradford now

PHI: McNabb

Other notable teams with young talent that are on the way up, with their chosen franchise QB:

DET: Stafford (if he can ever stay healthy)

KC: Cassel (:doh:), who is getting the job done...and their coach hand-picked him to trade for, after coaching him since his rookie year. So, similar.

Who's NOT on their way up, despite acquiring what seems to be a Franchise QB?

WAS: McNabb trade

CHI: Cutler trade

For almost a decade this was the case...Vinny was a factor though along with Dan...the last two years brought his incompetency out of the shadows.

More like having 5 head coaches in 10 years. (Which, BTW, Vinny had very little to do with.) But, whatever makes you feel better.

Bottom line is this: our franchise is in rebuilding mode...and hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

Unfortunately, it isn't acting like it so far, trading for McNabb and Brown.

Again, all about perception. I think the fans would be more intuned to a losing record, it we didn't keep losing games in the same fashion as last year (giving up late leads, no offense, defense getting pushed around, special teams blunders), but we seem to be making the same mistakes as we did last year. I would be alright with the losing if I saw some improvement in some areas. I'm not seeing it. I'm not throwing in the towel on Shanahan or Allen as I believe they need more time, but Jesus Crimony Christmas show me some improvement and I'll deal with it. 59-28? If we lost 31-28, it's a different story about handling the losing. We seem to be getting worse. Maybe in some sense, we need to get worse before we get better.

Archived