Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 'Blackout in a can' blamed for student party illnesses

JMS

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/25/washington.students.overdose/index.html?hpt=T2

'Blackout in a can' blamed for student party illnesses

(CNN) -- Nine Central Washington University students hospitalized this month after an off-campus party were sickened by "Four Loko," a caffeinated malt liquor also known as "blackout in a can," according to a police investigation.

Investigators concluded that none of the students were drugged or given alcohol without their knowledge and no sexual assaults occurred, according to a school statement.

The findings convinced university President James Gaudino to ban "alcohol energy drinks" from his campus.

"We need to make sure that we're sending a strong message to students about the dangers of alcohol energy drinks and we need to know more about the way it affects health and behavior," Gaudino said.

Yeah I think you guys are missing the point. The drink isn't an energy drink. It's a drink designed to allow it's consumers to get extra screwed up..... It's got cafein in it so you don't loose coordination and other ingredients so you don't vomit. Evidently thse students were so drunk that the police couldn't distinguish between being drunk and on roofies.....

Not going to lie, one of those can be a blast, 2 is insane!

Yeah we used to drink these all the time at tailgates for noon games...early morning, somethin sweet, gets ya feelin good pretty darn quickly....

I like Joose better. But drinkin a whole one of either makes my stomach hurt from all the sugar :(

These kids are stupid. Can I blame Jack Daniels next time it makes me sick?

Yeah I think you guys are missing the point. The drink isn't an energy drink. It's a drink designed to allow it's consumers to get extra screwed up..... It's got cafein in it so you don't loose coordination and other ingredients so you don't vomit. Evidently thse students were so drunk that the police couldn't distinguish between being drunk and on roofies.....

I'm not missing the point. It's a malt liquor that is 12 or 13% alcohol and has caffeine. The point, at least to me, is that you would be idiotic to drink this at all, let alone more than one of them. If you do, that's OK, but just don't act surprised when you're obliterated. It's no different than drinking a bunch of Red Bull/Vodkas or any other alcoholic drinks. Do it in moderation and switch over the beer or something.

I'm not missing the point. It's a malt liquor that is 12 or 13% alcohol and has caffeine. The point, at least to me, is that you would be idiotic to drink this at all, let alone more than one of them. If you do, that's OK, but just don't act surprised when you're obliterated. It's no different than drinking a bunch of Red Bull/Vodkas or any other alcoholic drinks. Do it in moderation and switch over the beer or something.

Yep. You pretty much know what you are getting into with these. I have drank plenty of similar beverages in the past and they accomplish their goal, but you can't plead ignorance when you are smashed as a result of a few too many of these. Just look at the way they are marketed. These are not something you drink to relax after work; these have another objective in mind.

Yep, blame the beverage and not the kids who choose to drink it.
Who says the kids aren't getting blamed?
ELLENSBURG — Central Washington University officials say 40 students face conduct hearings due to a house party in Roslyn where a number of people became sick.

The university says more students will be notified of hearings after police provide their names. Police have interviewed 54 students and three others. Sanctions could range from an alcohol-education class to suspension or expulsion.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013235923_overdoses23.html

Who says the kids aren't getting blamed?

Well this leads me to believe that they would rather remove personal accountability from the equation:

Washington State Attorney General Rob McKenna is calling for federal food regulators to ban the beverages.

"They're marketed to kids by using fruit flavors that mask the taste of alcohol and they have such high levels of stimulants that people have no idea how inebriated they really are," McKenna said. "They're packaged just like non-alcoholic drinks, but include a dangerous dose of malt liquor."

From what I can tell, there is nothing deceitful on the labels of these drinks. If you ban them, wouldn't you have to ban a whole lot of other alcoholic beverages? Also, why blame the company who makes this product if some of the kids were mixing hard alcohol with these drinks?

This story is really no different than any other "underage kids drinking too much in college" story all throughout the US except for the fact that there's a slight angle to blame someone else.

i'm sorry but if you're a guy and you're drinking this crap.....you are one of the many reasons that dudes have replaced men.

As I said before, I have had similar beverages in the past, but it has been years. I might have had one right before going to the bar to give a little kick start, but that was about it. I can see why people drink them, but they are not really the best idea, or the best thing for you.

I drink it. It's cheap and it gets the job done. But when I do drink it I...

.always drink on a full stomach

.don't consume any other alcohol for the rest of the night

.one can is the max

.drink gradually

.drink early so I don't wake up feeling sick

It's called being responsible. Sorry they are too dumb to be responsible.

But they are terrible for you and I'm probably going to just stop with them after Halloween cause I'll actually have cash.

Archived