Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The lack of shotgun for this offense (packers game)

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

My only gripe with the gameplan on sunday was why we are not using the shotgun. Mcnabb had guys in his face constantly and yet for some reason even on 3rd and very longs mcnabb wasnt in the shotgun. I'd like to think that being a few yards back might buy him some more time to make some plays and keep the rush a little further back, yet our staff refused to have him move back.

just wanted some thoughts/opinions on why we werent doing this. youd think with a guy like matthews just destroying our line that theyd wanna give Dmac some more time but we did not. maybe im missing something about our scheme that the shotgun throws off timing routes or something, but i'd like others thoughts on this.

i have trouble believing that one bad snap from rabach was the reason we abandoned shotgun for most of the game. maybe im wrong, but i just find that tough to believe.

i was wondering the same thing sunday. Mcnabb was under heat all day- it seems like a natural adjustment to put him in the shotgun. but it seems thats just not an integral part of the shanahans' offense... they prefer drop backs

i was wondering the same thing sunday. Mcnabb was under heat all day- it seems like a natural adjustment to put him in the shotgun. but it seems thats just not an integral part of the shanahans' offense... they prefer drop backs

i guess this is the case. i just wondered if anybody knew if there was a specific reason dealing with the actual plays being called that prevent mcnabb from running the from under shotgun.

i understand at times you dont wanna tell the defense on 3rd if youre running or passing, because shotgun usually dictates a pass, especially considering we dont have the speed to run a draw, but on 3rd and 17, the whole world knows were passing.

Maybe it's a case of McNabb not liking working out of the gun? I can't recall how much time he spent the gun in Philly but I know some QBs prefer to work under centre, the drop help timing and rhythm and also you can watch the coverage right from the snap as opposed to having to watch the ball to catch it and then switching your vision downfield.

I think the reason we don't use much gun though is we want to get a running game established and then use play action off that. Even though we are having trouble establishing the run we want to stay committed to that. Doing this pretty much commits you to working from under centre on first and second downs.

I know this is off topic, but after the Kassim Osgood ordeal a few weeks ago, I heard the Jaguards aren't running out of the shotgun anymore.

I like when McNabb's in the shotgun, but I love seeing him come out from under center with the play-action and chuckin it 50 yards down field for a completion. :D

Maybe it's a case of McNabb not liking working out of the gun? I can't recall how much time he spent the gun in Philly but I know some QBs prefer to work under centre, the drop help timing and rhythm and also you can watch the coverage right from the snap as opposed to having to watch the ball to catch it and then switching your vision downfield.

I think the reason we don't use much gun though is we want to get a running game established and then use play action off that. Even though we are having trouble establishing the run we want to stay committed to that. Doing this pretty much commits you to working from under centre on first and second downs.

was just about to call you out for misspelling the word "center"... then quickly saw you're from England. But anyway, both points are probably true. I dont recall McNabb operating out of the shotgun in Philly too much, though that's based purely on my flimsy and unsubstantiated memory. And of course, Shanny really wants to committ to the run

I thought it was both on Rabach and McNabb...but that snap was still too high imo...McNabb would have still had to snatch it high but he should have still kept his eyes sharp and ready for it so it's on him too

But yea...McNabb isn't really a shotgun guy....it's not his style. He likes to drop back and set his feet

From what I know of the WCO the shotgun isn't really a big part of it. I can't comment directly on the Shanahan offense but I would have to imagine it involves our intent to emphasize the run game and work off play action. I don't recall McNabb using a lot of shotgun in Philly so it could be a personal comfort issue with the QB.

It wasn't a bad snap if you look at it, it slipped through McNabb's hands check it out on NFL replay today.

EDIT: unless he snapped it too early then.... but I can't remember if it was a early snap I dont think so...but the snap was good.

The snap came back like a Strasburg fastball. The center isn't supposed to rocket it back like that. So no it wasn't a good snap.

The snap came back like a Strasburg fastball. The center isn't supposed to rocket it back like that. So no it wasn't a good snap.

It was a good snap. If you saw the replay you clearly saw McNabb take his eyes off the ball. That one was all on McNabb. If a receiver dropped a pass like that we would take him to task.

As for some people suggesting that McNabb didn't operate out of the shotgun much in Philly that is not true. They used it quite a bit.

It was a good snap. If you saw the replay you clearly saw McNabb take his eyes off the ball. That one was all on McNabb. If a receiver dropped a pass like that we would take him to task.

As for some people suggesting that McNabb didn't operate out of the shotgun much in Philly that is not true. They used it quite a bit.

McNabb shares some of the blame. But shotgun snaps are not supposed to come back that hot. They just aren't. It would be like rifling a bullet pass to a running back from 5 yards away.

Rabach doesn't play well against nose tackles. He plays much better when they play teams instead

, the 4-3.

OR

Rabach doesnt play well period. 3-4 exploit this cause he has to take someone one on one. He is better against 4-3s because he has a buddy help him out.

Completely think our center is why we dont play shotgun. I thought the punch drunk rope a dope approach by the SHanahans was perfect. Let their best person hit your QB til he hurts himself. Then win game. BRILLIANT!

My only gripe with the gameplan on sunday was why we are not using the shotgun. Mcnabb had guys in his face constantly and yet for some reason even on 3rd and very longs mcnabb wasnt in the shotgun. I'd like to think that being a few yards back might buy him some more time to make some plays and keep the rush a little further back, yet our staff refused to have him move back.

just wanted some thoughts/opinions on why we werent doing this. youd think with a guy like matthews just destroying our line that theyd wanna give Dmac some more time but we did not. maybe im missing something about our scheme that the shotgun throws off timing routes or something, but i'd like others thoughts on this.

I would rather them line up in standard pass formation, because it leaves the option of a quick hand off to the HB, or a pass if a receiver is open. Shotgun is almost obvious formation of a pass unless your going to run a draw to your HB or FB. But we have yet to see the Redskins use that technique much. Redskins barely run playactions half the time. That's something that confused the defense a lot but Redskins don't use it much. I think it's because Mike Shanahan is still transitioning with the team and is trying to evaluate what works and what doesn't. I don't think this roster will be permenant for years to come. More vets will probably get cut when the season is done and possibly some more big trades will occur. Rumor has it, that Portis could be traded. Shanahan really wants a running back that can do special teams aand Portis clearly doesn't do that. This is why Shanahan brought in Chad Simpson is 2nd string HB. I like Portis a lot, but the man is not explosive without an O-Line. He is not the type of HB that can run a quick sweep to the side and leave his defense in the dust. Not only that, but the man is injury prone. Every season, he faces ssome sort of injury and it leaves us weak in the run game.

I know this is off topic, but after the Kassim Osgood ordeal a few weeks ago, I heard the Jaguards aren't running out of the shotgun anymore.

I like when McNabb's in the shotgun, but I love seeing him come out from under center with the play-action and chuckin it 50 yards down field for a completion. :D

What happened with Osgood?

And on topic... I agree with someone else bout utilizing play action. I think that's going to be a huge surprise later in the season. If only we can establish the run.

Archived