Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

am I the only one who thinks if they hired a George Karl....this team might have 5 more wins right now? Randy seems like a decent enough guy. But man....it also seems like he's just watching the game with the rest of us.

i dont like George Karl at all. Think he is wildly overrated, but he gets us 6 or 7 more wins this season, easily.

Any competent coach would.

I'm not a big Karl fan but he'd be a huge upgrade over Wittman. I want a young hungry up and comer though, our version of Spo/Thibs/Brooks.

Look at what Jeff Hornacek is doing in Phoenix. I don't think I can name a single player on the Suns but they're doing great. THAT is coaching.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2014/1/23/5337286/washington-wizards-boston-celtics-offense-breakdown

At some point, it's on the coaching staff. If these shots are bad ones, as Wittman surmised after this game, why have Wall and Beal taken them all year?

That's why the selfishness critique rings hollow. One or both of these things happened instead:

1. The Wizards moved the ball, but missed open long jumpers.
  2. They often settled for semi-open jumpers, which has been encouraged all year even though it might run counter to moving the ball.

It's all a shame. After all these trades with the playoffs in mind, and one of the best floor generals in the league today, we're sitting here discussing an offense barely treading water against a league-average defense at best. Either selfishness isn't the problem or the coach hasn't gotten his message through to the players. Neither reflects well on Wittman.

A great breakdown of the garbage that is our half court offense

much more in the link

Terry Stotts, Brad Stevens, Jeff Hornacek, Frank Vogel, Tom Thibedeau, Mark Jackson, Monty Williams, Eric Spoelstra...

The list goes on and on. All gifted coaches that got the break they needed and took the job and ran with it. They're getting results, developing players, and making a positive impact on their teams W/L columns.

Randy Wittman's career W/L % was the second worst in the league going into this season. The only one who was worse was the guy who coached Orlando to 20-62 last season--his first year.

It's not a stretch to say Wittman is probably the weakest coach in the league.

Whatever it is, he can't get a consistent effort out of this group. On the whole, his teams aren't the sum of their parts. Most of our young players have stagnated or regressed on his watch.

A truly good staff gets more wins out of this roster, more consistent effort, and more development from Ernie's kids.

I'm not a huge Karl fan either. He is just one of a handful of available coaches who I feel would be an upgrade right now. This is a young team. They need leadership, not blogposts from the owner. 

It boggles the mind that we would handcuff a talent like Wall with a lameduck in Flip Saunders, then allow Randy Wittman to be in charge during Wall's formative years.

As good as Wall has been the last year or so, I think he will take his game to another gear if he gets a coach who knows anything about offense.

More depressing facts about Randy:

- He's 9th in the NBA in career games coached with 479 games.

- Going into this season, he was the only one that'd coached more than 82 games with a career win % below .400. His is well below, his career % is now .349.

For him to hit .400 by the end of this season, we'll actually have to win every single game from here on out and finish 61-21.

There needs to be a cutoff here. You simply can not give an extension to a coach with a career winning % in the 300s after 520 games coached. Unless you're Ted Leonsis of course, owner of the Washington Wizards. For whom a record approaching .400 would be a decided improvement over the past.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

I am glad Wall was left off the World Championship/Olympic roster. No summer games but he also can work on that jumper more.

I would rather him be selected. Iron sharpens iron, training and playing day after day with the best players in the world would only increase his game. He could work on the jumper while training with the team.

Not to mention he would have access to good coaching for a change.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3

I would rather him be selected. Iron sharpens iron, training and playing day after day with the best players in the world would only increase his game. He could work on the jumper while training with the team.

Not to mention he would have access to good coaching for a change.

I think its humbling more than anything else. He looks and sees those point guards ahead of him and will work hard to get better than them.

At the half, the Energy lead Maine 50-35. Lucas with 14 points to lead Iowa. @WashWizards assignee Glen Rice Jr. has 9 points and 6 boards.

Retweeted by Washington Wizards

@WashWizards assignee Glen Rice Jr. had 16 points and 11 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals, and 3 blocks.

Edited by STBonecrusher21

irving averages 1 More point than Wall at this point.

That was a quote, as I'm sure you know, from Irving's very well known pepsi series of ads.  Fan voting is a popularity contest and Wall isn't on the same planet as Kyrie when it comes to popularity.  

I know there's lots of angst over these Wizards; sure, the coach, sure the talent, sure they slept-walked through a first half like they were one of the late-ago Lakers teams with the full confidence that they had the talent to close the gap and come back in the 2nd half. 

I grew up with teams full of Harvey Grant's, Pervis Ellison, Rex Chapman, Doug Overton, Don Maclean, and Tom Gugliotta's of the world.  The 1992 team won 22 games in total; the 1993 team won 24 games total; the 1994 team won 21 games total; my excitement as a young NoVa kid watching HTS many weekends was whether or not Georghe Muresan would get in the game and whether or not Jim Mcilvane was going to lead the league in blocks... I took out my frustration with NBA Live on the Genesis leading these teams to 82-0 seasons and marching through the playoffs to be NBA World Champions!  There was a minor blip and then back to 29 wins (1999); 18 wins (2000); until the Arenas let's go to the playoffs and lose to Lebron times.

As far as Wizard teams in my recollection the current collection is one that has a lot going for it and I enjoy that.  I'd like to believe I'm looking at a core that will keep growing and (new coach or not) soar to places the Wiz haven't been since I recall.  And if not; I can just fire up NBA2K and live in that fantasy video game world where I can make Jan Vesely average 30 a night and shoot 80% free-throw...

Hindsight is 20/20, but how much more sense would it have made to draft Nerlens Noel? 

Jeez...SMH. 

At the half, the Energy lead Maine 50-35. Lucas with 14 points to lead Iowa. @WashWizards assignee Glen Rice Jr. has 9 points and 6 boards.

Retweeted by Washington Wizards

@WashWizards assignee Glen Rice Jr. had 16 points and 11 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals, and 3 blocks.

Can anyone give me a good reason why Otto Porter hasn't been assigned to the D-League? 

Hindsight is 20/20, but how much more sense would it have made to draft Nerlens Noel? 

Jeez...SMH. 

Can anyone give me a good reason why Otto Porter hasn't been assigned to the D-League? 

The D-League hasn't really been used much to "develop" talent, certainly not a high draft pick. It would be embarrassing in some respects to send him there, not that the organization should care about that.

More importantly, we don't own a D-League team so Otto wouldn't be practicing or playing our style of offense or defense most likely. There is something to be gained from him simply playing in the D-League, but I'm not sure how much control the Wizards would have over him at that point.

If we had our own D-League team, we could control what sets they run on offense and their defensive schemes. I'm not sure Ted sees the D-League as valuable developmental tool. They didn't send Vesely, I highly doubt they send Otto.

Edited by StillUnknown

Jeez...SMH. 

The D-League seems to be the area where NBA teams and their fans are completely out of sync. Fans seem to view it as Triple A basketball. NBA front offices seem to view it as a place for cast-offs and ne'er do wells. Cleveland fans have been screaming for Bennett to go to the D-League. The Cleveland Front Office seems to think that cutting him would be less of a punishment.

Has anyone ever gone from the NBA to the D-League and back again with positive results? It seems like it's good place to get discovered, but a bad place to learn.

If I'm not mistaken, Memphis sent Hasheem Thabeet to the D-League in either his rookie year or 2nd season.  I can't remember which. 

Porter needs to get playing time.  Not sure how much better he's going to get by only practicing and not getting in on games.  I don't know what's going on with Ariza's situation, but if he leaves (and also depending on who we bring in if he's traded), that would leave a HUGE void.  As of now, there isn't a chance in hell Porter can fill those shoes.  THere is going to have to be some sort of miraculous leap in his development for that to happen.

As the days go by, I just wish this team held on to their 1st round pick.