Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Amazing as it sounds now when the Wiz take the floor I actually EXPECT them to win.

And the competition is irrelevant.

I'm not there yet. I expected them to lose to the clippers for example. I don't like their chances against the top 3 in either division.

I'm not there yet. I expected them to lose to the clippers for example. I don't like their chances against the top 3 in either division.

I understand that, but you gotta admit you feel we will handle business against the kings monday night. And I agree with you on Okafor; he's filling his nitche nicely as are a lot of other players that were supposed to play roles instead of save the franchise.

We have a @ Memphis, @Spurs, Clippers, Knicks, Nets stretch coming up soon. Seeing this team full strength in this 5 game stretch will give me a better idea of what we really have here now.

Edit: Just hope Beal's wrist is ok (knock on wood)...

Edited by Renegade7

The thing that strikes me is that they're winning WITHOUT having big games from certain people. Tonight Beal only had four points. If that's all you saw, then you wouldn't think that they won. But they're always finding SOMEONE to step up. It's Total team performance. Not just a run on the back of a single player or two. (Obviously Wall is a huge part but they had a win last week--forget which one--where Wall AND Beal both had a subpar game.)

The thing that strikes me is that they're winning WITHOUT having big games from certain people. Tonight Beal only had four points. If that's all you saw, then you wouldn't think that they won. But they're always finding SOMEONE to step up. It's Total team performance. Not just a run on the back of a single player or two. (Obviously Wall is a huge part but they had a win last week--forget which one--where Wall AND Beal both had a subpar game.)

I echo these thoughts, but will add that I still think Wittman is a hindrance. I think a better coach could get more out of what we have.

Withey is good and he has size but he's so deliberate. Doesn't get off his feet with a whole lot of explosion and though he does have a motor and runs the floor hard, he's just not that quick. There's a place in the NBA for a guy like him but he seems mostly like a space eater and a six hard fouls type.

Oh he's definitely not quick, nor is a juggernaut leaper, but he's very long, and blocks shots in play, which is definitely a lost art. He finishes alright. I think he'd be able to add value to a team relatively quickly in the mid 20s of the 1st round. Playing him against other NBA bench players ought to be fine for him as well. Okafor might be dealt next year, and while I want Cousins, you can't bank on having him moving forward. Not that Withey is a starter, but he could give you 15-20 minutes of average to above average play relatively quickly in his NBA career.

Didn't see the game today, but I'm guessing our mantra will end up being tough defense and blue collar teamwork like IND and MEM. None of the starters on this team are blackholes on offense. It'll be interesting if we can play .600+ ball towards all-star break. This team has some swag.

Oh and I'm nuposse04 over on realgm. Not sure why I never kept the IDs consistent, but w/e lol.

Edited by nuposse87

The team is greater than the sum of its parts. That's what happens when you have solid role players know their roles and fulfill them and you've got a franchise player that can be the leader and the glue that holds it all together.

I think Wall is a franchise player and we're in the process of discovering this. I just get a feeling with him. Look at the way the team responds to him. It's just kind of an aura.

I also think our front court is playing the way we thought it would going into the season. My whole thought process was, there's no way a team with Nene, Okafor, and Seraphin as the front court doesn't win at least 30 games. Well that didn't coalesce early but it has now.

I actually think this team is a playoff caliber group as is, they just didn't have that chemistry until now. But if the group stays together for next year, stays healthy, and retains the chemistry, I think it'll make the playoffs next year and eventually grow into an upper echelon team as Wall and Beal mature into All Stars.

IMO this is roughly how the Bulls progressed around Rose. They were further along before he got there, they had a Deng and a Noah and some of the other guys. But they got a Boozer and a Rip Hamilton as steady vets to anchor the roster just like we got Okafor and Nene. I think it's such a huge advantage to have your franchise player be a PG. The Bulls are really just a bunch of role players around Rose but they're elite when he's there.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that I'm actually impressed with the coaching job Wittman has done this year, something I never thought I'd be. I think he's got weaknesses handling rotations and minutes, defining roles, weaknesses with the Xs and Os. But in general I think that stuff is less important than keeping the team together, playing hard, and building chemistry. Some how Wittman has been able to keep the group together and playing hard every single night despite a start that threatened to be historically bad. When have you ever heard of that happening before? The only game I can remember us just going out and laying an egg was a beatdown we took from the Spurs earlier in the year. Even when we were horrible, the team still fought almost every night.

---------- Post added January-27th-2013 at 02:52 AM ----------

I echo these thoughts, but will add that I still think Wittman is a hindrance. I think a better coach could get more out of what we have.

I agree with that. Still having problems with the rotations and the play calling. Still doing nothing to develop Vesely and Singleton and I'm thinking he hasn't been good for Seraphin. But at least he's got the team motivated. And the offense has been amazingly effective recently. The ball movement has been terrific and we've got this nice mid range and 3 pt game popping. I thought we were a terrible shooting team. Apparently not, we just couldn't consistently get good shots.

Best thing about watching this year going forward is going to be seeing Wall palpably grow on both ends of the court.

If we keep winning we're definitely going to be out of Nerlens, Zeller, and Len range. Late lottery I like Otto Porter, McAdoo, and/or Poythress if they're there. McAdoo and Porter looks like really nice fits.

I was thinking the same thing. There are seven teams 5 wins ahead of the wizards and the bobcats are below.

I was thinking the same thing. There are seven teams 5 wins ahead of the wizards and the bobcats are below.

I think its inevitable we'll pass New Orleans, Cleveland, and Orlando. I think we will pass Sacramento, Detroit, and Minnesota. And then I think we'll also have a chance of passing Phoeix and Toronto. I'm think 8-10 pick range is reasonable. Dropping winnable games to Sacramento and LA is kind of hurting me.

I'm usually for tanking in the NBA but I've never been so relieved to abandon a tank job as I am this year. Simply put, we needed to see some results from the John Wall era.

I would have tried to trade the draft pick for somebody yesterday.

If we keep winning we're definitely going to be out of Nerlens, Zeller, and Len range. Late lottery I like Otto Porter, McAdoo, and/or Poythress if they're there. McAdoo and Porter looks like really nice fits.

I'd be fine with Porter. He is a better version of Jeff Green especially defensively and on the boards but i'm not sure he leaves this early don't seem like that type of kid.

With the team somewhat rolling right now, this is a prime chance to trade our top pick (in a package) for a stretch 4.

---------- Post added January-27th-2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

I'd be fine with Porter. He is a better version of Jeff Green especially defensively and on the boards but i'm not sure he leaves this early don't seem like that type of kid.

If we keep the pick and we're in that 8-10 range, I would LOVE to have Otto Porter on this roster.

Cousins is the most natural replacement for Okafor out there IMO.

Nerlens would be ideal but we're not going to pick high enough. Also, Nerlens would be thrust into a starting role his second year most likely, which isn't ideal.

We're going to take a hit no matter who replaces Okafor most likely. It's going to be hard to get somebody who matches his rebounding and defense. But it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can upgrade his offense TBH. Cousins certainly would. But I'd be slightly concerned Cousins would play PF and kick Nene inside to C.

Another major problem with a Cousins trade is that replacing either Nene or Okafor with Cousins would basically bring the chemistry level way down and trade a stabilizing element for a destabilizing element.

I think that's a move that would need to happen in an offseason TBH, which means our draft pick will probably continue to depreciate in value. Cousins might just have to come through FA if he's going to come at all.

I think the Nene/Okafor is a highly effective and complimentary front court but a serious injury to either could be very problematic. I think Nene's skill boxing out allows Okafor's rebounding totals to balloon and Oak's defense really compliments Nene's ability to eat up space (though Oak has still been pretty effective when Nene isn't on the floor). As Wall and Beal grow as defenders and if we settle on a good player at SF, the defensive potential of the team is very good.

It makes all the sense in the world to keep Oak moving forward but his contract length and cost and his age are problems. Regardless, I think you keep him until next year's trade deadline at the earliest unless someone makes a really good offer for him. I think you also consider holding onto him through the deadline and either letting the 14-15 million expire off your books or maybe even try and get him back on a shorter term deal. It makes sense to me to let him expire here and use the money to make a bid for Cousins.

---------- Post added January-27th-2013 at 09:25 AM ----------

I see what you mean. I kind of get that feeling too. Staying a little longer wouldn't be the worst thing for him either because it'd let him get a bit stronger before making the jump.

---------- Post added January-27th-2013 at 09:43 AM ----------

Wanted to throw out there that maybe dealing for an already big name like Cousins or whoever isn't the best choice. Dealing for a lesser name that still has good upside like Enes Kanter or Derrick Favors makes sense to me. Both have looked good in limited action and have lots of upside left. Is Utah going to let Al Jefferson just up and walk away? Seems crazy to me for them to do so. If they keep him long term, do they need both Kanter and Favors? I'd deal for either.

Rondo just tore his ACL. That should eliminate the Celtics. So...only 7 games behind the Sixers!

or just another team contending with our lottery balls!

Feel bad for Rondo, **** the celtics though.

---------- Post added January-27th-2013 at 03:39 PM ----------

Rondo just tore his ACL. That should eliminate the Celtics. So...only 7 games behind the Sixers!

or just another team contending with our lottery balls!

Feel bad for Rondo, **** the celtics though.

This must be the worst week of Bill Simmons life!

But I do really like Porter in the mid to late lottery. A SF who can play D, grab boards, hit an open 3 at a good rate, have a lot of untapped potenial, and shoots over 50% from the field? Not bad for this team who really lacks a future at the SF position.

Edited by SuperBash

This must be the worst week of Bill Simmons life!

But I do really like Porter in the mid to late lottery. A SF who can play D, grab boards, hit an open 3 at a good rate, have a lot of untapped potenial, and shoots over 50% from the field? Not bad for this team who really lacks a future at the SF position.

Well put. I agree with everything you said. Let's hope he comes out this year.

Well put. I agree with everything you said. Let's hope he comes out this year.

I saw an outdated scouting video on draft express and he seems like he definitely played below the rim. A 6-8 guy with a 7-1 wingspan that didnt have a single dunk in his scouting video and had athleticism listed as a weakness. I haven't watched to kid play so I have no idea if things have changed this year. His 3 point % certainly did.

Edited by Destino

A buddy sent me this about the Wizards and the 2014 Cap space...I need to know how to combat it. I feel like he is assuming A LOT but who knows, maybe he's right.

So how do you have the Wiz having money in 2014?

So just for Nene, Ariza, Okafor, Wall, Beal, Vesely, Sephahin is 53.1 million dollars. The salary cap this year is 58 million. It might go up a little but probably not that much.

That's only 7 players. Lets assume a cap hold for a top 5 pick this year and the 15th pick next year (both of which are optimistic)

The 4th pick is 3.1 and the 15th is 1.4 million. This might also rise along with the salary cap.

so you now have 9 players at

57.6 million and you need 12 players. So lets say they pay the min for three players with zero years experience. That's another 1.5 million dollars.

You are now at 59.1 million dollars and it's a little more since i mostly rounded off without rounding up.

The Wizards are now over the cap and cannot sign any free agents unless they use the veteran exception, which if history is any judge are generally bad deals for the teams that use them. (and if they used one or both then that would screw up their 2015 cap space)

So now we're moving on to 2015

Lets say the renounce all players they can like Vesely, Jordan Crawford, Singleton, Seraphin... meaning they can't keep any of those players.

We'll assume they'll keep Beal

So Wall is now a restricted (and this can be stressed enough since I'm sure you'll say that Wall would leave if the Wiz didn't get decent...again it's RESTRICTED, he can't go anywhere for another 6 years...)

He'll get paid the max around 13.5 which might go up to 14

Wall 14

Nene 13

Beal 4.5

Rookie from 2013 3.7

Rookie from 2014 1.5

Rookie from 2016 1.5

that's aout 38.3 million dollars but you have to have holds for the other 6 players so it would be at least 40 million. This is really assuming the Wiz only get the 4th pick this summer and make the playoffs in 2013/14 and 2014/15 which is extremely optimistic.

now you finally have enough room to offer a player a max deal FA

First, besides the Heat how many teams have really used the magically we have alot of cap money to do anything good with?

You'll have a few good unrestricted free agents in 2015. Love, Gasol, Aldridge, Rondo

Second, You'll also have great cities/teams with huge amounts of cap room in the Summer of 2015

The Lakers could potentially have Dwight and the ability to add 2 max free agents

The Spurs could potentially add three max free agents

The Heat could potentially add three max free agents

The Hornets could potentially add two max free agents

Mavs could potentially sign four max FAs

All four teams would probably be higher on Free agents list than the Wiz would be since they have either the Warm Weather, Big Market, or no State Taxes or a combination of the three.

All five of those franchises are also much better ran than the Wizards, though alot could change in a couple of years.

If anything Wiz fans should be rooting against the Wiz winning games as that is most likely their only chance at competing in the near future.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012813aaa.html

Otto Porter Jr. Named to BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll

Porter Jr. was named the National Player of the Week by NBC CollegeSports.com.

Porter Jr. helped to lead the Hoyas to a pair of wins over nationally-ranked teams, winning 63-47 at No. 24 Notre Dame last Monday and following that up with a thrilling 53-51 win over then-No.5 Louisville at home on Saturday.

Porter Jr. averaged 18.0 points and 10.5 rebounds while shooting 52.2 percent from the floor (12-of-23) and 55.6 percent from three-point land (5-of-9). He scored 19 points, grabbed nine boards and had two assists, two blocks and two steals in the win at Notre Dame and recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 17 points and 12 rebounds against Louisville.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH