Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yeah he does. Beal is a good ball handler. He has very smooth game, can get into the painted area and get to the rim or create room for his shot off the dribble. He's got hesitation moves and step backs and a solid crossover.

The rep on him coming out of Florida was that he didn't have good handles but he's proved that was wrong in the NBA.

No. His handles are average at best fir an NBA guard and I hesitate to even say that. Crawford is a good ball handler and he breaks his man down with his dribble. Wall is very good, he attacks multiple defenders. Beal takes what is given and his handles are not a weapon.

---------- Post added January-25th-2013 at 08:04 PM ----------

Games on now. Clowns at cox ran the comcast sports show instead of the game for a while.

Seraphin and Crawford simply shouldn't be on the floor at the same time together. If one of them doesn't jack up a bad shot, you know the other will.

It's like they have some kind of competition going.

Problem solved Seraphin fouled out with several offensive fouls. Ridiculous.

Lol? No goal-tending there? Did the refs momentarily fall asleep?

They wanted to get home early.

Good game tonight. Sloppy on our end with all the bad offensive fouls, turnovers, offensive boards given up. But Minny didn't have the horses to hang with us. Isn't that weird to say?

Wall had an excellent game, felt like he barely had to flex his muscles. That little pull up jumper and the step back were falling for him tonight. He's a lethal scorer when he gets that working because it basically creates a free path to the rim for him the rest of the game. Next step is for him to start hitting it consistently. After that, let's see about him getting comfortable from 3 pt land, especially in catch and shoot situations.

We're winning with an amazing amount of ball movement. Awesome shooting efficiency from all the starters and from Crawford. So many assists and Wall has not been dominating them and getting to double digits most nights. It's a team effort. We scored 114 points and nobody took more than 11 shots. Ridiculous.

That's why we've been shooting the three ball so amazingly well. You all remember how bad we were in 3 PT % earlier in the year. It's the same group of guys shooting now. They're just getting good looks now and we've got decent enough shooters to knock them down.

Nice game from Beal. He had to sky to get some of those blocks. He's deadly when he gets into rhythm because he can be so impactful on both ends of the court.

---------- Post added January-25th-2013 at 09:52 PM ----------

No. His handles are average at best fir an NBA guard and I hesitate to even say that. Crawford is a good ball handler and he breaks his man down with his dribble. Wall is very good, he attacks multiple defenders. Beal takes what is given and his handles are not a weapon.

Yeah I see what you mean. That's fair, Beal doesn't regularly break guys down on his way to the rim. But I wouldn't say they aren't a weapon in the sense that he can't create for himself off the dribble. He's got a pretty nice mid range game that's predicated off a set of smooth step backs, lateral hops, and a nifty cross over that he uses to get space for his shot. Also has a nice array of pump fakes and a high cross over. He may not be breaking ankles with explosive moves like Wall or Crawf but he almost always gets good looks at the basket. At worst, he's not limited by his handle at all. At best, he can create offense for himself with an array of smooth dribbles and movements that's very hard to defend.

If you consider Beal an average ball handler, then you will consider McLemore very subpar when you start breaking him down. I'm saying he's not even nearly as good a ball handler as Beal. If you watch this DX video, he's flat out losing the ball just trying to turn. McLemore grew up playing PF apparently. His handles are very underdeveloped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzufDLiYTNc

I can't remember a SG with such demonstrably poor ball handling skills becoming an All Star. You can't rely on the team running like a well oiled machine every single night to get you your open paths and looks at the basket. You've got to be able to create your own shots to get the kind of consistent scoring numbers to be an All Star SG. Otherwise, without being to dribble, to score 20 + PPG, McLemore is going to have to end up on an elite team with elite PG play and a primary scorer to space the floor and keep McLemore from getting doubled (OKC, Lakers, Spurs, Bulls, maybe Celtics, etc.). None of those teams are going to be picking high enough to snag him because they're already good.

---------- Post added January-25th-2013 at 09:56 PM ----------

I got hockey on CSN, this trash shouldn't bump my basketball. I'm on Cox cable.

I don't care about televised hockey at all. I'd have been perfectly fine if the lockout had been permanent.