Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Never seen a NBA player that gets so many good looks at the rim by stopping suddenly.  It doesn’t sound like it would even work, and yet that Luka does it constantly.  

Hardaway has gone down three times this half, acting like he’d been shot by a sniper.  

Dallas had Kuzma with the ball and didn’t foul.  You’d think they’d have targeted him.  

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Never seen a NBA player that gets so many good looks at the rim by stopping suddenly.  It doesn’t sound like it would even work, and yet that Luka does it constantly.  

Hardaway has gone down three times this half, acting like he’d been shot by a sniper.  

Dallas had Kuzma with the ball and didn’t foul.  You’d think they’d have targeted him.  

Yeah, that last one the coroner confirmed his death.  But then he rose from the dead and hit the three.  Pretty impressive. Haha.

As much as last night’s win was meh, this game was pretty damn impressive.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Go Go Gadget Gafford is best center we've had since I started following the team back when Jordan showed up, and better then any center Jordan had when he was here. Even better the Gortat.

That's selling the Polish hammer short. Gortat was really solid for the Wiz for a few years. Gafford could be but he has to show the ability over a longer amount of time. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a big fan of Gortat, guy was incredible light on his feet for a man his size on offense.  Took more layups than you’d expect for a dude nicknamed “the hammer” but whatever, he was good for a long time.  Never much of a defensive presence though.  

This team doesn’t need a starting offensive center, they need a player like Gafford that wipes out drives.  (And doesn’t cost too much)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

They took fewer threes today and actually attacked the rim.  

This cannot be overstated enough. Players are too in love with jacking up threes. Replace 10 of those two point shots tonight with 10 more threes and the Wiz lose the game.

Just now, Hersh said:

That's selling the Polish hammer short. Gortat was really solid for the Wiz for a few years. Gafford could be but he has to show the ability over a longer amount of time. 

Gafford has dunked more times in less then a full season here then Gortat ever did in 5. Hes a better finisher without the need for pick and rolls to do it. Hes also not a liability on defense. Unless you are expecting him to regress, have to call it as you see it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I’m a big fan of Gortat, but he was never much of a defensive presence.  This team doesn’t need a starting offensive center, they need a player like Gafford that wipes out drives.  (And doesn’t cost too much)

It's all about what their roles are. Gortat filled his role on those teams really well. Gafford may end up significantly better, but he's got to be on the court more consistently. He's had back to back games of being on the court more which followed 3 games of mediocre nothingness. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Gafford has dunked more times in less then a full season here then Gortat ever did in 5. Hes a better finisher without the need for pick and rolls to do it. Hes also not a liability on defense. Unless you are expecting him to regress, have to call it as you see it.

Wait, you are trying to knock Gortat offensively compared to Gafford? Come on now. 

Y'all underappreciating Gortat. 

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Wait, you are trying to knock Gortat offensively compared to Gafford? Come on now. 

Y'all underappreciating Gortat. 

Yes, I am going there.  If Gafford had a PG half as good as prime Wall this wouldn't even be a conversation.  I have a lot of respect for Gortat, but there's a reason even Wall turned on him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

That’s fair, because he does seem to have a cardio issue.  He starts breathing hard 2 minutes into every game.  

He will keep getting better. I hope they play him with Bryant and don't reduce his minutes. 

Finally, Beal was not over-dribbling. He tends to turnover the ball a lot when he gets double-teamed. When he is decisive, we get better looks and less turnovers.

With Rui and Bryant back soon, I think we can be top 5 in our conference come playoff times.

Unseld Jr. Is the perfect coach to take the Wiz deep into the playoffs. I have high hopes for the first time in a long time. The chemistry of the team is continuing to improve.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Destino said:

Drew Gooden growing on anyone else?  He seems better this season.  Maybe he just needed some time.

He's not Chenier, but he's growing on me, too.  I like the PBP guy, too.  He's not Buckhantz but he's getting better, too.

I'm still thinking that the shooting lately is a cold streak they'll snap out of.  That said, Beal's 3 point percentage has steadily decreased over the course of his career, that's some cause for concern.  

This is also a team where it seems like no matter who's on the floor, I've got faith that they'll give effort and play well.  Deep team.  Can't say that for many of the teams in previous years, it seems like most of those teams were only 6-7 players deep (if that, at times).

On 11/24/2021 at 10:24 PM, Destino said:

WUJ honeymoon over?

In the sense that he's the "new guy," maybe so. I don't think a few losses dim his glow though so my short answer is "No."

We're going to lose games. (I know you know these things, just mentioning the obvious.) I'm of the notion that as long as we go .500 or better this season, it's a success for him. The honeymoon ends for me when his first season is over.